Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BREAKING NEWS! THE SUIT REVEALED!

+5
Apologist Puncher
Rduce
webhead2006
thecolorsblend
non_amos
9 posters

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

BREAKING NEWS! THE SUIT REVEALED! - Page 6 Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS! THE SUIT REVEALED!

Post  James Stocks Sun May 13, 2012 12:01 am

From what I've seen so far, I'm not crazy about the suit. My complaint about Brandon Routh's suit was that the colors were too dark and many fans shared that view. And yet it seems WB decided the best way to improve from that is to not only make it darker but desaturate it! So desaturated, when I do look back at the suit in SR it looks more colorful than I remembered. Laughing

IMO they should have just gone with the classic suit or at least a much closer variation to it. It's really not that difficult. Red underwear FTW.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

BREAKING NEWS! THE SUIT REVEALED! - Page 6 Empty Re: BREAKING NEWS! THE SUIT REVEALED!

Post  webhead2006 Sun May 13, 2012 12:08 am

I don't see this suuit as bad as sr suit. First we got a lot better chest logo, long flowing open cape and bright red. The blue isn't that bad in this suit. Only real complaint is lack of trunks.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun May 13, 2012 12:09 am

Stockslivevan wrote:From what I've seen so far, I'm not crazy about the suit. My complaint about Brandon Routh's suit was that the colors were too dark and many fans shared that view. And yet it seems WB decided the best way to improve from that is to not only make it darker but desaturate it! So desaturated, when I do look back at the suit in SR it looks more colorful than I remembered. Laughing
The colors with the Singerman bikini were definitely whack. However, I argue that it makes graphic design sense to desatch one color to emphasize the other. That said, Mingenbach seriously missed the boat. She desaturated the red and lightened up the blue? Excuse me, but who the fuck is that supposed to make sense to?

Now, I'd be the last to argue that there was ever any chance of saving the Singerman suit design. "Fixing" it would basically result in a total redesign. So why not do that from the start and spare everyone the bother? However, contrary to that hack designer's claims to the contrary, primaries can work when paired together. In Superman's case, an effective way of doing so, as seems to be the philosophy of the MOS team, is to darken the blues and brighten up the reds. The red keys off much better against a darker backdrop. Is the MOS outfit what I would've done? No. Go classic or get out. But by and large, my issues with the MOS suit are more akin to minor quibbles and the like (Gauntlets? Really?). It's far from ideal but also far from a trainwreck, esp now that we have a solid frame of reference (*cough*Singerman*cough*) for what that looks like.

Stockslivevan wrote:Red underwear FTW.
Trunks. They're called trunks.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sun May 13, 2012 12:32 am

Thing that could have saved the suit in SR for me is opening up the neckline. He looks like he just grabbed a typical blue shirt and plastered the S chest on it. Oh yeah, and a bigger S chest. That's one thing the MOS suit has got right, I actually like the S design.

But yeah, go classic or get out. That's my deal. All colors should be vibrant and impressive. One does not need to dominate the other.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun May 13, 2012 1:08 am

Stockslivevan wrote:From what I've seen so far, I'm not crazy about the suit. My complaint about Brandon Routh's suit was that the colors were too dark and many fans shared that view.

Don;t even get me STARTED on what was wrong with that abomination...

And yet it seems WB decided the best way to improve from that is to not only make it darker but desaturate it! So desaturated, when I do look back at the suit in SR it looks more colorful than I remembered. Laughing

Actually, I think the blue is pretty light, and not dark at all:
BREAKING NEWS! THE SUIT REVEALED! - Page 6 Henry-Cavill-Superman-Man-of-Steel-Set-Image-570x572

IMO they should have just gone with the classic suit or at least a much closer variation to it. It's really not that difficult. Red underwear FTW.

Can't say I disagree.

And colors is right. Trunks, my good man. Trunks.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  Alf Sun May 13, 2012 10:15 am

Actually, DC calls trunks, underwear. I just noticed this today while re-reading JL #1 of the new 52. On the second to last page where the sketchbook of DC character models are, it says under Superman; ´´The red underwear is gone,...``

And even Cavill himself refers to them as underwear. ´´In three decades when someone dares to put a pair of red underpants on the outside [of Superman's costume] again, someone will go crazy and say, ‘What are you doing?! This isn’t Superman anymore!...`` (from this interview: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/11/21/man-of-steel-henry-cavill-got-essential-insight-in-red-son/ )

So im not really surprised so many call them underwear as well. When the new Superman and the company who owns and publishes Superman comics decide to call them that, well...no comment. Rolling Eyes Mad
Alf
Alf
Dean Cain
Dean Cain

User Reputation : 35

http://www.manofsteel.com

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun May 13, 2012 10:22 am

Personally, I think the point is, the Superman suit doesn't look right without them! You might can get away with that with Batman but not Superman. The red trunks break up all of that blue & it just looks right. But I'm aware that even celebrities & duh media criticize the suit as having 'underwear' & they're usually bashing on it. But at least the 'trunks' hide his 'junk', no? Rolling Eyes
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  Alf Sun May 13, 2012 10:52 am

non_amos wrote:Personally, I think the point is, the Superman suit doesn't look right without them! You might can get away with that with Batman but not Superman. The red trunks break up all of that blue & it just looks right. But I'm aware that even celebrities & duh media criticize the suit as having 'underwear' & they're usually bashing on it. But at least the 'trunks' hide his 'junk', no? Rolling Eyes

Hey, I agree with all of that, but what can you do?

Im willing to wait until I see the suit in motion, properly, before I fully judge the extent of his visible junk - though personally, I only took notice of that after I read some comments about it from people. I was focusing on Cavill's face and the overall impression of the suit, somehow the junk didn't really stick out to me at first. I don't understand why his junk sticks out so much to some people. I mean, athletes show junk, Chris Reeve's junk was visible - thanks in part to that metal thingy the added - you just can't completely hide it, male species have that part, I think it's kind of silly and immature when people bring up the ´´super bulge``. I admit however, in some pictures it may look a bit too exposing for the majority of the crowd, so I do think/hope it won't be as prominent in the movie. It would be sad if - after they gave in to the anti-trunks idiots - Supes would get ridiculed for his bulge, even if it is a perfectly natural body part.

I'll also wait to see how the lack of red looks like on screen. Since Supes will mostly be in movement and rarely shown full frontal (guessing), it might not be as annoying as we think. Perhaps Snyder will use the bigger cape as a tool to visually trick us into not seeing the blue body suit (like, when there is a full frontal Superman shoot, the cape will ´´flow`` to the right side, creating an illusion of more red than blue). Camera tricks can do wonders. And I just can't see Snyder NOT using everything to make it look at least a bit right. He can't really think all that blue looks good, just like that on it's own, can't he? Not with his visual eye. Because it doesn't.

This all may be me being overly optimistic, but it helps that the suit has, IMO, the best; boots, cape attachment, cape so far, a great S-design, vibrant red and a damn good blue and of course, Cavill who can really sell it, at least physically - it remains to be seen if he has the presence/charisma on screen in the suit, that everyone thinks he does/will have.

Nothing can ever beat the ´´classic`` suit, but if everything else about the movie is of high quality, that can be forgotten, for me anyway. And if they just had to mess with the Super suit (and WB was planning this for a long time now, as seen in concept art of previous unmade Superman movies) im just glad Snyder got on board. Im pretty sure he's the only director who could have pulled this off and not make it a total disaster.
Alf
Alf
Dean Cain
Dean Cain

User Reputation : 35

http://www.manofsteel.com

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun May 13, 2012 12:05 pm

Also another thing if snyder used good filters while shooting the suit. Wouldn't that help make the blues and reds pop more on screen.

As for trunks underwear I think the issue is folks use the words interchangeably. Whichs gets folks confused. Personally I always gone with calling them trunks. And that is what they are.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sun May 13, 2012 5:56 pm

I always called it red underwear, and not in a patronizing way.

Anyway, like I said elsewhere I'll wait for more official photos to surface. Maybe there's more to it. Perhaps there's a reason his suit looks dirty and the colors look worn out. There's a whole year between now and then.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun May 13, 2012 11:09 pm

Superman wrote:Actually, DC calls trunks, underwear. I just noticed this today while re-reading JL #1 of the new 52. On the second to last page where the sketchbook of DC character models are, it says under Superman; ´´The red underwear is gone,...``

And even Cavill himself refers to them as underwear. ´´In three decades when someone dares to put a pair of red underpants on the outside [of Superman's costume] again, someone will go crazy and say, ‘What are you doing?! This isn’t Superman anymore!...`` (from this interview: http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/11/21/man-of-steel-henry-cavill-got-essential-insight-in-red-son/ )

So im not really surprised so many call them underwear as well. When the new Superman and the company who owns and publishes Superman comics decide to call them that, well...no comment. Rolling Eyes Mad

Trust me, I brought this very thing up in one of the "DCNU" threads. The fact that they had Jim "I Suck" Lee calling them UNDERWEAR in one of their own books spoke volumes about how much DC "respects" Superman.

When the fans care more about his perception than the people cashing the checks, is it any wonder he is where he is today?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Mon May 14, 2012 12:24 am

Am I missing something? Neutral
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon May 14, 2012 12:26 am

Stockslivevan wrote:Am I missing something? Neutral

Only you can answer that question....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Mon May 14, 2012 12:41 am

Of course, it's the red underwear.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon May 14, 2012 12:43 am

Stockslivevan wrote:Of course, it's the red underwear.

Whatever you got on under your pants is YOUR business, dude....

Superman wears trunks.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Mon May 14, 2012 12:47 am

I used to joke about how SMALLVILLE would end. In the final seconds, Tom Welling becomes Superman, revealing he only wears red underwear and a tiny red cape.

Let that image sink into your heads folks.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon May 14, 2012 1:06 am

Stockslivevan wrote:I used to joke about how SMALLVILLE would end. In the final seconds, Tom Welling becomes Superman, revealing he only wears red underwear and a tiny red cape.

Let that image sink into your heads folks.

Spoiler:
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Mon May 14, 2012 1:09 am

And he wears a Singerman belt. How fitting.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon May 14, 2012 1:23 am

Stockslivevan wrote:And he wears a Singerman belt. How fitting.

Is that what you were picturing?

Excited
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Mon May 14, 2012 3:48 pm

More of a red thong actually. I can see it now.

*barging in unannounced, an angry Clark walks in Lex's office only wearing a tiny red cape and red thong.*

Clark: "Lex! Why did you do it?!"
Lex: "I really need to get better security."
Clark: "Why did you make a photoshop photo of Chloe having sex with Perry White and post it online?"
Lex: "I didn't do that."
Clark: "Yeah you did! It has your name signed right here, clear as purple crayon!"
Lex: "That's not proof."
Clark: "My father was right, I should have never believed in you."
*Clark turns and walks out*
Lex: "Dude... I bought you a truck!"

Next scene is Lana being angry at Clark for saving her life without explaining how. I then walk in on the scene and smack the bejesus out of her.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon May 14, 2012 5:01 pm

For all its ups and downs I still say sv was a better superman project then the mess singer made with sr.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Mon May 14, 2012 6:19 pm

I think both are a mess but in completely different ways.

But I will give the edge to Smallville on one thing: Michael Rosenbaum. He was the best thing that show had going for it.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon May 14, 2012 11:26 pm

Stockslivevan wrote:I think both are a mess but in completely different ways.

But I will give the edge to Smallville on one thing: Michael Rosenbaum. He was the best thing that show had going for it.
SV celebrated the Superman mythos. Singerman shat all over the mythos.

There's no comparison to ever be made.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Mon May 14, 2012 11:30 pm

SV celebrated the Superman mythos.

Suspect

James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon May 14, 2012 11:34 pm

I def agree with colors. First look at all past superman/comic related actors they had on the show. Look at all dc assoicated folks like johns, loeb, and others who worked on the show. And third they took vast aspects from all eras and different media takes and used nods, refrences and then put there own twist on things. Sure some things didn't go so well. But out of the things they did do right sv was a lot better superman product. And hell I still rather sit through the wrost sv episodes. Then ever sit through sr fully.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next