Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Suit Suggestions

+3
thecolorsblend
non_amos
Apologist Puncher
7 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Suit Suggestions - Page 2 Empty Re: Suit Suggestions

Post  Father Finian Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:28 am

Yeah, that's great

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:55 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:It's the name he uses on comicbookmovie.com.

He'll deny it, but I know it's him.

Seriously dude I don't know what the hell are you talking about cause thats a big load of crap considering that I'm only a visitor of Comicbookmovie.com and not a member! And yes, I'm in denial only because it's obviously far from the truth!
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:15 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:Seriously dude I don't know what the hell are you talking about cause thats a big load of crap considering that I'm only a visitor of Comicbookmovie.com and not a member! And yes, I'm in denial only because it's obviously far from the truth!

Suit Suggestions - Page 2 1171903-2235_dr_evil_right_thumb_super
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:11 am

Anyway back to the topic...

Here's my second suggestion, in regards to those who are still dead set on a supersuit made out of pure leather...

This one is design by an artist name Michael Stribling who just happens to have his own website and a Deviantart account and this is one of his Superman related design projects that I think looks good enough for the upcoming Superman reboot. I should also point out that he's the same guy who illustrated the pic that was posted in the beginning of this thread. Some of you may have already seen this one before but incase they are those who don't consider this your first look!

Suit Suggestions - Page 2 Superm11

This one has more of a cross between an extraterrestrial design and the traditional design, something that the SR suit suppose to establish but fail to do so. Also this is one example of a supersuit that I can go along with even without it being made out of leather material!
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:03 pm

Suit Suggestions - Page 2 Barf

Superman does NOT need armor, and that is freaking retarded.

Get off the leather fetish, gimp. NO ONE wants to see that but YOU.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:11 pm

No shit. That's "Superman meets TDK" there. And wtf is up with the trunks in that pic?

The dumbassery practically drips off that image. It works amazingly as a proof of concept for what not to do but has limited applications beyond that...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:27 pm

Seriously. Guy is living up to his "Dunce" rank, isn't he?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:12 am

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:This one is design by an artist name Michael Stribling who just happens to have his own.......Deviantart account

Deviant art? No shit.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:13 pm

Father Finian wrote:
Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:This one is design by an artist name Michael Stribling who just happens to have his own.......Deviantart account

Deviant art? No shit.

The guy you quoted has a leather fetish. So "deviant" definitely IS appropriate.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:33 am

I wouldn't say that considering my second suggestion for a supersuit had nothing to do with leather, aleast not this time! Also I don't know whats your or anybody else's beef with leather clothing but it's not really my only choice in fabric! And honestly, I can see that you guys are definitly not easily agreeable! Rolling Eyes
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:48 am

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:I wouldn't say that considering my second suggestion for a supersuit had nothing to do with leather, aleast not this time! Also I don't know whats your or anybody else's beef with leather clothing but it's not really my only choice in fabric! And honestly, I can see that you guys are definitly not easily agreeable! Rolling Eyes
The problem is that leather outfits somewhat approximate the appearance of motorcycle leathers. Apart from looking absolutely idiotic, it's wholly unnecessary. Do it right or get out. The leather thing is something I think a lot of directors pull out of their asses so that the unwashed masses won't freak out over seeing someone in GASP! a superhero outfit. It betrays a fundamental insecurity in the material. "Hey guys, look, we don't believe in this bullshit either so rather than make this thing 'comic booky', we'll throw you a bone and give you something you're vaguely more familiar with."

It's just bullshit. Do it right or get out. There's nothing wrong with adapting the comics. This is one reason why I'll never respect Chris Nolan's interpretation of Batman. Yeah the movies may be successful, yeah they've earned a lot of critical acclaim, but his way ain't the way the comics go down. The Joker isn't the character we saw in TDK; there was no whimsy or comedy to that character. He was just a fucking lunatic. And sorry, there's a helluva lot more to the Joker than that. And the only way Nolan could process the Batmobile is by transforming it into a TANK? Etc.

Do it right or get out. Nobody alters Shakespeare from an insecurity with the stories or the characters. Shakespeare material gets altered in order to give audiences a new angle but nobody involved holds the source material in disdain. Comic books get altered from what seems like a hand-wringing apology for creating the movie in the first place. It's as if the filmmakers are apologizing in advance for wasting the audience's time with this stuff. Do it right or get out. There's some really fucked up instinct to want to change this stuff "to suit wide audiences". Well, these comics have sold millions of copies over the years, hundreds of millions over the decades. There's something there that people respond to. Do it right or get out. Changing it just because YOU, Mr. Director sir, have a fucked up self-esteem issue when it comes to the hobby is retarded.

I mean, I consider myself to be a pretty big Legion of Super-Heroes fan. But for as interested as I'd be in a Legion film... part of me would dread it. Can you imagine how any average jackoff director in Hollywood would handle, say, the costumes? the Star Trek'ish quasi-utopian futuristic setting? "Karate Kid"? "Lightning Lad"? "Cosmic Boy"? "Triplicate Girl"? I cringe at the thought.

Do it right or get out. There are two ways to adapt ANYthing: (1) embrace the truth and reality of the material you're adapting; no apologies, no excuses, no regrets. Or (2) hack the stuff to pieces to suit YOUR and what you perceive to be EVERYONE ELSE's sensibilities because at the deepest level you don't understand and aren't comfortable with what you've been given to work with.

Do it right or get out.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:23 am

So in other words, we're talking about a certain director fearing that making a comic book-based-film might turn out to be too... Comic bookish with the possibility of receiving backlashes from the viewers & critics while being lead to believe that adding something realistic and relatable will make things better and fit/appeal to the masses which may not really work at all. But adding the same material that was use in a comic that a certain film is based on is a much better direction as long it's done right. Or as you put it... Do it right or get out!!!

If thats the case you speak of that I can definitly dig it!
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:27 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:I wouldn't say that considering my second suggestion for a supersuit had nothing to do with leather, aleast not this time! Also I don't know whats your or anybody else's beef with leather clothing but it's not really my only choice in fabric!

How's this for a reason?
Suit Suggestions - Page 2 678718759_bb3ccdf95f

And honestly, I can see that you guys are definitly not easily agreeable! Rolling Eyes

Did anyone promise to "protect" you from Freedom of Speech here? Were you expecting it to be like all the other forums you post at, and EVERYONE'S opinion is as valid as the other? Sorry kid, that AIN'T how the real world works.

And around here, REAL is the word.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  道 Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:00 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:Here's my suggestion...

Suit Suggestions - Page 2 Lexluthor
God, that's horrible.

Look, the reason that suit worked in Lex Luthor: Man of Steel is because the story was told from Lex's perspective. It accepted the premise that Lex was, in fact, the hero (because Lex has always been the hero in his own mind). Therefore, the story portrayed Superman as... the... enemy. That's why he wears that costume. That's why he looks all Darkseid-ified. And that's why this kind of look should not, not, NOT be imitated in Snyder's movie.

Superman is not the villain. He's the hero. Period. Let him look the part.
道
Target
Target

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:57 pm

So I was thinking earlier with all the talk about superman suit. How do you guys want to see other kryptonians on krypton dress. Would u want fancy robes and colorful outfits. Or go with the idea of symbols for houses and all that. Just wanted to see what you guys had to say.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:00 pm

I like the approach the Star Wars prequels took of giving characters exotic, somewhat alien wardrobes yet recognizable at the same time. I'm done with the "family crest" bullshit. I never liked that idea. The "S" stands for Superman. Period. To make it any deeper than that is to over-complicate that which is inherently simple.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:11 pm

That would be nice looks. As for the symbol I kinda have liked the its meaning for families and what not. But wouldn't be against dropping it now to try something new. Which we really need to have. But having some logos like the s shield or zod symbol have some sort of meaning on krypton or at least for zod maybe it was some military symbol he was awarded with or something.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:15 pm

Read some dillhole come up with an idea on some other forum. Basically take the Zod symbol from SV for, duh, Zod but establish that it has a history like the skull and crossbone flag for pirate ships. It's something that warlords and general fly when their aim is to show no mercy. It's like flying a black flag or a red flag or whatever color when old armies used to go into a battle where they don't intend to take prisoners.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:01 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Read some dillhole come up with an idea on some other forum. Basically take the Zod symbol from SV for, duh, Zod but establish that it has a history like the skull and crossbone flag for pirate ships. It's something that warlords and general fly when their aim is to show no mercy. It's like flying a black flag or a red flag or whatever color when old armies used to go into a battle where they don't intend to take prisoners.

I don't like it.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:33 pm

Well, it WAS a dillhole's idea...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:56 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Well, it WAS a dillhole's idea...

You got me there.

And that Stribling guy has a different but not so different concept that I like, except for the "diaper" looking straps on the trunks:
http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=350739&page=8
Suit Suggestions - Page 2 Unled1m

I guess he tried to make it look like Cavill too.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:05 am

I like the design and style of the chest emblem but it looks embossed. Will someone PLEASE explain the fascination people have with that? It looked retarded in Singerman and it's not like much has changed since then.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  道 Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:49 am

It's to make it look like the costume designers put some effort into it? I guess?

I guess I could understand if the panels were different shades of blue like Bryan Hitch's Ultimate Fantastic 4 uniform designs, but I think it's just too busy otherwise. A better idea might be to try to make the suit without any kind of seams at all. Just one piece of fabric, all over. Same for the cape.

Either make it look totally alien, like that... or make it homespun. Either it's Kryptonian OR it's made by Ma Kent. I dislike the idea of it being a combination of both, and I really like the idea of making an all cotton suit. It's never been tried, so it would look really fresh onscreen.
道
Target
Target

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:53 am

道 wrote:Either make it look totally alien, like that... or make it homespun. Either it's Kryptonian OR it's made by Ma Kent. I dislike the idea of it being a combination of both, and I really like the idea of making an all cotton suit. It's never been tried, so it would look really fresh onscreen.
I've been arguing that for quite some time now. Outfits made from stretchy materials don't look so great most of the time anyway but on top of that they kill all definition the actor's built up. Dean Cain was in pretty good shape for Lois & Clark but you don't really get a sense of that based on that version of The Suit.

Meanwhile, Welling looked great in SV when all he really wore was a plain blue cotton t-shirt that showed off his pecs and broad shoulders.

You're on the right track when it comes to this.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  道 Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:01 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:I've been arguing that for quite some time now. Outfits made from stretchy materials don't look so great most of the time anyway but on top of that they kill all definition the actor's built up. Dean Cain was in pretty good shape for Lois & Clark but you don't really get a sense of that based on that version of The Suit.

Meanwhile, Welling looked great in SV when all he really wore was a plain blue cotton t-shirt that showed off his pecs and broad shoulders.

You're on the right track when it comes to this.

- "On the right track" doesn't really matter so much, unfortunately. WE aren't the ones making the film, so we'll get what we get. Neutral
- That shot of Welling on the Kent farm in SV was what I had in mind, actually. Shame that every time Welling starts talking, I mark time until he stops.
- I remember how built Dean Cain was for L&C. Re-watching these days... the showrunners made a lot of mistakes, but you can tell Cain gave his all.
道
Target
Target

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next