Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We Need Some Movie News

+6
Comicbookfan-V2
Father Finian
non_amos
thecolorsblend
webhead2006
Apologist Puncher
10 posters

Page 42 of 42 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42

Go down

We Need Some Movie News - Page 42 Empty Re: We Need Some Movie News

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:51 am

Zack Snyder to the NY Times wrote: For too long... modern-day interpretations of this DC Comics superhero had been apologizing for the outdatedness of his origins; they sought to conceal him in contemporary trappings instead of embracing an essential mythology that, he said, was as bulletproof as the character himself.

“When they try to dress him up,” Mr. Snyder said here a few weeks ago, “put him in jeans and a T-shirt or a leather jacket with an S on it, I go: ‘What? Guys, it’s O.K. It’s Superman. He’s the king daddy. You should all be bowing down to him.' ”

What his film tries to do, he said, is “respect the S.”

URL- www.nytimes.com/2013/05/26/movies/man-of-steel-aims-to-make-superman-relevant-again.html

If that's not a shot across the bow at The New 52 and Rags Morales, I don't know what is.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:10 am

But ain't that DC's problem to begin with in comparison to their competition at Marvel? It's like DC/WB are a bunch of apologists themselves. It's like they even apologize for Superman for crying out loud! The films for example especially under duh Nolan apologize for 'too comic booky'.

But Marvel ain't ashamed of the characters in the comics & then proceed to display them on the big screen as well, 'comic booky' & all & don't apologize for it! Hmmm? You suppose that's maybe the secret behind their success?

WB/DC, take notes!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:19 pm

non_amos wrote:But ain't that DC's problem to begin with in comparison to their competition at Marvel? It's like DC/WB are a bunch of apologists themselves. It's like they even apologize for Superman for crying out loud! The films for example especially under duh Nolan apologize for 'too comic booky'.

But Marvel ain't ashamed of the characters in the comics & then proceed to display them on the big screen as well, 'comic booky' & all & don't apologize for it! Hmmm? You suppose that's maybe the secret behind their success?

WB/DC, take notes!
That leads into something that I didn't know how else to bring up. Marvel to me has always been the comic book universe that takes place more or less in the real world. You've still got people running around in tights and costumes and stuff but it's basically "our" world that they live in. Of all people, Stan Lee has never really been comfortable with the fact that he makes comic books. It took an act of Congress for him to admit it to people. And I think that's a big reason why Marvel in the 60's and 70's called their wares "comic magazines". Because somehow that was more respectable.

DC, up until COIE anyway, took place in an unapologetically fictional world that operated with an almost completely different type of morality (ie, more simple and "black and white"). An issue of Justice League of America indicated that Superman's ship arriving on Earth caused changes to the whole world which ultimately led to the rise of superheroes and a change to the entire planet itself. Earth-1 wasn't our real world.

It's strange and a little ironic then that Marvel has found so much success doing very comic book and fun superhero films that don't take themselves too seriously and don't really take place in the real world while DC has attempted a much more realistic approach to varying degrees of success.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:48 am

How's this for a scoop?!

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/177409-warner-bros-fast-tracks-man-of-steel-sequel

Warner Bros. Fast-Tracks Man of Steel Sequel

by Silas Lesnick
June 10, 2013

Although Man of Steel doesn't even officially open until later this week, Deadline is reporting that Warner Bros. has already set a sequel on the fast track to the big screen. Zack Snyder will return as director and David Goyer will be back as screenwriter but producer Christopher Nolan has not yet agreed to continue as a producer and may ultimately step aside to focus on alternative projects.

Hitting theaters June 14 release, the new film follows a young boy who learns that he has extraordinary powers and is not of this Earth. As a young man, he journeys to discover where he came from and what he was sent here to do. But the hero in him must emerge if he is to save the world from annihilation and become the symbol of hope for all mankind.

Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Laurence Fishburne, Antje Traue, Ayelet Zurer, Christopher Meloni, Russell Crowe, Michael Kelly, Harry Lennix and Richard Schiff star.

I'd say duh brothers must have a lot of confidence in the latest incarnation of Superman. Ain't wasting no time this time huh? Smile
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:42 am

Don't want to rain on your parade but this is pretty typical, actually. If I recall, similar things were said about Green Lantern and the Amazing Spider-Man before they were released. Hell, I think even Singerman had something like this with Singer mentioning "Wrath of Khan"... which I always thought was funny because Star Trek- The Motion Picture wasn't well received but it wasn't like Paramount could reboot at that point so they did the next best thing and used WOK as a fresh start for the franchise. So in a sense, WOK was the closest Paramount could come to doing a reboot following a disastrous first film... which makes Singer's comment both ironic and prophetic.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:30 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Don't want to rain on your parade but this is pretty typical, actually. If I recall, similar things were said about Green Lantern and the Amazing Spider-Man before they were released. Hell, I think even Singerman had something like this with Singer mentioning "Wrath of Khan"... which I always thought was funny because Star Trek- The Motion Picture wasn't well received but it wasn't like Paramount could reboot at that point so they did the next best thing and used WOK as a fresh start for the franchise. So in a sense, WOK was the closest Paramount could come to doing a reboot following a disastrous first film... which makes Singer's comment both ironic and prophetic.

I actually liked the 1st Star Trek film. Probably one of the few that do. And I never saw it at the theater either. 'Wrath Of Khan' was the 1st ST film I actually saw at the theater. But I will agree that it was a vast improvement over the 1st film. I'm not unbiased when it comes to Trek anyway so I probably liked the 1st one even for that reason. I don't know if you've ever noticed it or not but the plot from the 1st film is largely ripped off from an episode from the original TV series. Can't think of the name at the moment but it was the one where the robot said, "I am Nomad."

Yeah, you've got a point about Green Lantern, Spiderman, etc. However, in the case of Spiderman they were probably justified to say it but GL was obviously a misfire. As for Singerman, duh 'sequel that is just around the corner' was to be called 'Man Of Steel'. Heh heh!

MAN OF STEEL comes out this week! Wink
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:33 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Don't want to rain on your parade but this is pretty typical, actually. If I recall, similar things were said about Green Lantern and the Amazing Spider-Man before they were released. Hell, I think even Singerman had something like this with Singer mentioning "Wrath of Khan"... which I always thought was funny because Star Trek- The Motion Picture wasn't well received but it wasn't like Paramount could reboot at that point so they did the next best thing and used WOK as a fresh start for the franchise. So in a sense, WOK was the closest Paramount could come to doing a reboot following a disastrous first film... which makes Singer's comment both ironic and prophetic.

Well, they've officially announced that Snyder, Goyer and Nolan are doing 'MOS 2', and that Goyer is now in charge of the script for 'Justice League'.

Quite a bit different than what they did with 'Green LanTurd' and Singerman.....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:28 pm

I wonder if that means they've got tracking figures for how MOS will do over the weekend (and thus an idea of how it will due in theaters overall) and that's why they're offering Snyder another chance.

Wow, so if you make a successful Superman film, WB will let you direct a sequel to it. No excuses, no mismanagement, no bungling, no regrets. Hm, I hope Bryan Singer is taking notes.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:52 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Well, they've officially announced that Snyder, Goyer and Nolan are doing 'MOS 2', and that Goyer is now in charge of the script for 'Justice League'.

Quite a bit different than what they did with 'Green LanTurd' and Singerman.....
For self-evident reasons, I'm very interested now in what's coming. Obviously we're waaaaaay early here but MOS opens up approximately two fucktons of possibilities. Maybe three, it's hard to be sure. Snyder left plenty of room for developing Clark fitting in at the Planet/in Metropolis as well as building on the Superman/Lois relationship. It's probably not going to be too much of a challenge for him and Goyer to figure out where a sequel might go.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:35 pm

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/we-take-a-closer-look-at-an-early-treatment-of-man-of-steel-to-see-what-might-have-been
http://collider.com/man-of-steel-superman-early-script-details/#more-263812

tl;dr version- Drew McWeeny (formerly Moriarty from AICN) posted a FAKE "original" Man of Steel treatment that differs greatly from the finished product. Well, the reason it differs so much is because the author of the bogus treatment attempted to reverse engineer the story based on what little was known of the plot after the first trailer or two came out.

The reason I bring it up at all is to take it off the table for discussion here. Nobody wants some dillhole to reference "the original treatment" or some such. Well, here are two sources which show the "original" treatment floating around out there to be completely fabricated.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Speaking of this, remember it was posted here somewhere about the dude who supposedly saw MOS way early & basically gave spoilers as to what was to come? I don't remember which board here that was on (possibly this one) but the dude stated that 'Zod will kill Faora'. Uhhh, didn't happen! But Zod died. I don't remember much else about what was 'spoiled' but I'll just have to assume that the entire report was bogus now.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:59 pm

Anybody else see this?
Yahoo wrote:Man Of Steel is officially the most successful superhero reboot ever

Whilst it may be struggling to amass the critical acclaim of the likes of 'Batman Begins,' 'The Dark Knight' or 'The Avengers,' Zack Snyder's 'Man Of Steel' continues to keep placing bums on seats in movie theatres.

So much so that it has now managed to overtake 2012's 'The Amazing Spider-Man's' total at the box office to make it the most successful superhero reboot ever, in the United States at least.

'Man Of Steel' has already passed 'The Incredible Hulk,' 'Superman Returns' and 'Batman Begins' during its impressive run, which began on June 14 and has seen the caped wonder come up against the likes of 'World War Z,' 'Despicable Me 2' and 'Monsters University.'

The only DC movies to currently be placed above 'Man Of Steel' are 'The Dark Knight' and 'The Dark Knight Rises,' which mean that it is currently the highest-grossing non-sequel in the company's books.

However, it is only number 10 on the all time list of comic book adaptations, behind seven Marvel films, which include 'The Avengers,' all three Sam Raimi 'Spider-Man' films and the trio of 'Iron Man' efforts, plus it is very unlikely that 'Man Of Steel' will eclipse its closest competitor, 'Iron Man 2,' as it is $50million away, and the latest Superman's gross has now slowed to a crawl, and there are still the likes of 'Pacific Rim,' R.I.P.D,' 'RED 2,' 'The Wolverine,' and 'Elysium' to be released too.

Meanwhile, various members of the cast and crew from 'Man Of Steel' are expected to be at the hugely anticipated Warner Bros. & Legendary Pictures panel at 2013 San Diego Comic-Con, where various comic artists, filmmakers and writers are expected to gather to discuss Superman in all his glory.

If the likes of Henry Cavill, Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan, and David S. Goyer do show up, hopefully we will hear some news regarding 'Man Of Steel 2' too. Let's hope so.

Which reboot do you prefer, 'Man Of Steel' or 'The Amazing Spider-Man'?

URL- http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/man-steel-officially-most-successful-superhero-reboot-ever-045300740.html

Originally thought about posting this in the "kick Singerman" thread but that seems a bit unnecessary. What kind of pisses me off is that a lot of these analyses compare MOS to sequels. Maybe it's a mark of the fact that we live in a such superhero-centric age of cinema but that seems pretty off-balance for me. This column is a bit more even-handed. Anyway...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:50 pm

I saw it but not on Yahoo until I clicked on your link. Rather I saw it on Facebook this morning, pretty much the same thing just shorter. However, I don't like this stance they seem to be taking towards MOS' success:

The only DC movies to currently be placed above 'Man Of Steel' are 'The Dark Knight' and 'The Dark Knight Rises,' which mean that it is currently the highest-grossing non-sequel in the company's books.

However, it is only number 10 on the all time list of comic book adaptations, behind seven Marvel films, which include 'The Avengers,' all three Sam Raimi 'Spider-Man' films and the trio of 'Iron Man' efforts, plus it is very unlikely that 'Man Of Steel' will eclipse its closest competitor, 'Iron Man 2,' as it is $50million away, and the latest Superman's gross has now slowed to a crawl, and there are still the likes of 'Pacific Rim,' R.I.P.D,' 'RED 2,' 'The Wolverine,' and 'Elysium' to be released too.

I put that 2nd paragraph in bold for emphasis. Look what they're insinuating. Even though they acknowledge MOS' success, then they turn around & try to 'cast doubt' on it.  I mean, after all, it's only #10 on all-time superhero films. It's behind 7 Marvel films including all 3 Sam Raimi Spiderman films & it can't even 'hold a candle' to Iron Man 2. The film has slowed to a crawl & is about to be obliterated by even the likes of 'The Wolverine'.

I'm surprised this didn't come from BOM because that sounds like the kinda spin they put on things all the time. "X film did Y amount of dollars. However, in it's 2nd week Z came out & destroyed it. At this rate it'll only top out at _____________." But what are these people thinking anyway? MOS has been out almost a full month now. Of course it's not gonna be #1 anymore unless it's E.T. or something. That doesn't change the fact though how much I despise this type of reporting.

It's like yesterday I told one of the guys I saw MOS with that MOS was so much better than IM3 & he agreed. Even if it hasn't made as much box office. And as for The Incredible Hulk it was so much better than Ang Lee's 'Shrek-Hulk' that it should've killed at the box office too! It really was like it's own 'Man Of Steel' if you will, in the sense of a proper reboot with the right amount of action & story. Too bad though the general audience didn't see it that way, no doubt still harping on the former. But if they ever release another Hulk film with Mark Ruffalo, that one will be a success, bank on it! It is good though that Superman was able to shake off the bad taste of Singerman though.

Last edited by non_amos on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:24 pm

That part wasn't lost on me. The movie has beat the piss out of so many comic book movies and that counts for something. No, it's probably not going to outgross any Iron Man (even though it was tracking ahead of the first Iron Man for a while and that only stopped because of crazy competition from other films) but that and the first Raimi Spider-Man are the only "first" movies MOS hasn't taken apart that I can think of. MOS curb-stomped everything else and that would probably have included the first IM in a less competitive summer. As it stands, Snyder, Goyer, Cavill and all the rest have nothing to be ashamed of with Man of Steel. If that's not good enough for some cheeto-munching, basement-dwelling blog "critic", well, fuck him.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:31 am

Alternate Zod armor designs here:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=82956

None are very good...
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:57 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:Alternate Zod armor designs here:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=82956

None are very good...
Yuck.

I'd kind of like to see some of the other designs for Superman's uniform though.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:42 am

A Man of Steel "viral video" related to SDCC. It's all supposed to be a lead-up to the Man of Steel presentation at SDCC. Given that MOS looks to be winding up its box office run, you have to wonder what the presentation could possibly encompass.

I'll go out on a limb and rule out a Blu-Ray announcement. SDCC would be a strange venue to "announce" something we all know will be here before Christmas. Even if the Blu-Ray includes some sort of director's cut (yeah, that's right Apologists, when a movie is successful, it gets special edition treatment like that), it's still making an announcement that any El Cheapo press release can do just as effectively. The only thing I can imagine that might be worthwhile is a preview of the unseen footage the director's cut might include. But even then, I find it hard to believe.

So all bullshit aside, basically I and a lot of people are expecting MOS II to be announced (yeah, that's right Apologists, when a movie is successful, it gets a sequel). Can't speak for anybody else but I can't imagine what else there is to "present" with respect to MOS right now. So I figure they'll give us official confirmation that a sequel is a done deal, the title thereof and probably an official release date to round things out. Details of it will probably be kept on mum other than probably that, say, Lex Luthor will be in it or something.

Assuming I'm right, this post should probably be moved into a new topic/forum for MOS II.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:31 am

Guess I was right to be skeptical about the Blu-Ray thing but for the wrong reasons. It's already been announced. Apparently it's set for 12.03.2013.

We Need Some Movie News - Page 42 935056_10201458718251811_1118023171_n
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:01 am

The thing is though is that you can already pre-order the Blu-Ray at Walmart for $26.96 I believe it is. However, it's a different picture. It has that shot that reminds you of Alex Ross' work with the pose & the shading like he's looking down. I'm sure you know the one I'm talking about? Anyway, I think this is like the 'super-duper' Blu-Ray version that by pre-ordering you get that special pic I just stated but other content too I think. I'd love to pre-order but when you're strapped for funds you're strapped! But where there's a will there's a way. It seems a little early to pre-order but I've noticed at Walmart for the last little while that they're doing this with films that practically just came out in theaters maybe the week before. Must be some new trend or something.

As for the comments you made about 'Director's Cut' & such I was immediately reminded of the stance that Singer took regarding Singerman's DVD release. Remember what he said? The film we saw at the theater was the Director's Cut! No additional cut needed. So why then did he blow 10 million on that 'return to Krypton' scene then? And the thing is is that duh apologists really wanted a Director's Cut & Bryan Singerman wouldn't give it to them. I suppose duh brothers could release something if they really wanted to & I'm sure Walmart wouldn't mind making a fast buck off of it too but by the same token, why do anything that might thwart MOS' success, even on DVD? As for the sequel issue, remember, duh apologists were always looking for the 'sequel that is just round the corner' that incidentally was called 'The Man Of Steel'. But it never happened. However, Zack Snyder gave us MAN OF STEEL with the sequel that really is just around the corner.

The irony in it all. Like the NWO used to say, it's just too sweet!

Excited
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:49 pm

non_amos wrote:As for the comments you made about 'Director's Cut' & such I was immediately reminded of the stance that Singer took regarding Singerman's DVD release. Remember what he said? The film we saw at the theater was the Director's Cut! No additional cut needed. So why then did he blow 10 million on that 'return to Krypton' scene then? And the thing is is that duh apologists really wanted a Director's Cut & Bryan Singerman wouldn't give it to them. I suppose duh brothers could release something if they really wanted to & I'm sure Walmart wouldn't mind making a fast buck off of it too but by the same token, why do anything that might thwart MOS' success, even on DVD? As for the sequel issue, remember, duh apologists were always looking for the 'sequel that is just round the corner' that incidentally was called 'The Man Of Steel'. But it never happened. However, Zack Snyder gave us MAN OF STEEL with the sequel that really is just around the corner.

Yes. According to Robert Burnett Meyer there was a three hour version of the film that was screened back in late 2005. Having seen that, he said a lot of what happens in the theatrical cut does not work like it should because all the stuff that was cut were integral to a couple of scenes that are now rendered pointless because of those cuts. You can tell in that deleted graveyard scene that it was a more elaborate introduction of Superman, compared to the theatrical cut where it's basically just him collapsing on his mother's arms, which does not work as an iconic introduction of the character.

I'm sure a better cut could have been produced out of that three hour cut than the one we got, but at the same time there would still be pacing issues that are deep in the script that can't be fixed. Having BOTH Superman and Lois see Jason perform his superpower would have easily cut a lot of fat out, but the way it's played out script wise is FUBAR.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:05 pm

The Krypton scene should be all the proof anybody needs that Singer was in over his head with Singerman. It should've been either deleted or reimagined when Singer and his Boy Writers were outlining the film. It shouldn't have ever been written, much less scripted and then photographed and then finished with effects.

Opening the weak ass movie in a weak ass way with your weak ass villain? That's bad. The audience's first glimpse of your weak ass "hero" occurs while he falls over from an unknown (and never explained) ailment? That's HORRIBLE.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:08 am

That's another thing Meyer brought up. The original cut didn't have the title card explaining shit, because you found out all you needed to know in the original opening. Once that was cut, they pasted in a title card that might as well have said "Superman left for reasons". It's just another case of "show, don't tell".

I do like Singer, I think he's a good director but only when you set perimeters for him to stick with and a producer who oversees things to make sure things don't get out of hand. WB giving Singer carte blanche on was a big mistake because it's clear that he does not know his own limits and that he fluctuates too much on aspects of production. Reminds me of how Roddenberry would get in over his head with STAR TREK, but pulled back to reality by someone reminding him. He thought TNG should have no starship, and that people would simply beam from place to place by the 24th century, but then he was told by another writer "no, that's a terrible idea, people want to see the Enterprise, that's the star of the show" then Roddenberry thought about it and said "okay, forget that". Singer needed that kind of conscience, someone on his shoulder, but he only had newbie writers like Harris and Dougherty. That's another point Meyer made, that as good as Harris and Dougherty were, the themes they tried going for in SR exceeded their reach because they were too young to tackle heavy stuff. That's why all that Christ imagery comes off so unsubtle and tacky, it's too obvious. Donner and Mankiewicz aimed for that and did it better and more reserved.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 42 of 42 Previous  1 ... 22 ... 40, 41, 42