Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Henry Cavill Cast As Superman!

+14
Rduce
gadhero
BHoward
Belltown213
webhead2006
pax666
Comicbookfan-V2
TomWelling4Superman
lib
Apologist Puncher
Father Finian
thecolorsblend
non_amos
superman1938
18 posters

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next

Go down

Henry Cavill Cast As Superman! Empty Henry Cavill Cast As Superman!

Post  superman1938 Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:55 pm

I dont know what to think about this. Wasn't he one of Singer's finalist?

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118031149

Henry Cavill cast as Superman
British thesp to play superhero in reboot
By Dave McNary

Superman is taking flight with British thesp Henry Cavill as the Man of Steel and Zach Snyder directing.

Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures made the announcement Sunday morning and said that the rebook of their tentpole franchise pic's due in theaters in December 2012. Snyder, who has a first-look deal at Warners, had been rumored in recent months as the director of the yet-to-be titled project.

"In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time, and I am honored to be a part of his return to the big screen," Snyder said in a statement. "I also join Warner Bros., Legendary and the producers in saying how excited we are about the casting of Henry. He is the perfect choice to don the cape and S shield."

Cavill's best known for playing the brother in law of Henry VIII in the Showtime series "The Tudors." He'll be seen in Greek mythology actioner "Immortals" in November and recently wrapped "The Cold Light of Day."

Charles Roven, Emma Thomas, Christopher Nolan and Deborah Snyder are producing with Thomas Tull and Lloyd Phillips exec producing. Screenplay's penned by David S. Goyer based on a story by Goyer and Nolan.

Goyer's attachment first emerged a year ago when he was in talks to pen the script, tentatively titled "Man of Steel," with Warner aiming to get a new Superman pic on the bigscreen before it potentially loses the copyright on the character in 2013.

Goyer helped breathe new life into the Batman franchise in 2005 by co-writing "Batman Begins," which went on to earn $352 million worldwide. Its follow-up, "The Dark Knight," for which he helped develop the story, earned $1 billion.
superman1938
superman1938
SuperFriend
SuperFriend

User Reputation : 21

Back to top Go down

Henry Cavill Cast As Superman! Empty RE: Henry Cavill cast as Superman

Post  non_amos Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:27 pm

I saw this on here while ago but before I posted I was trying to research some things online. For one I almost can't believe no one is commenting, but then again.....?

First, I remembered I THOUGHT I read on here a while back that Cavill is gay so that's what I've been trying to research. I know there's the guy at SingerHomoHype who said that he IS gay. However, I saw a quote online today somewhere after asking the question, "Is Henry Cavill gay?" on www.ask.com & Cavill is 'supposed' to have been quoted as saying that although many of his friends ARE gay, that he HIMSELF is NOT! So IS he or ISN'T he?! You see, this Internet crapola also states that he auditioned for Batman/Bruce Wayne in Batman Begins but lost out to Christian Bale. However, I read SOMEWHERE while ago that Cavill said he was NEVER approached for that role nor auditioned for it. So just what IS true on the Internets?!

IF it turns out that Cavill IS gay, then WHY did 'TPTB' at WB decide to go this route?! Did they not learn ANYTHING from their experience with Singer?! I know, WB has to be 'PC' but good grief! Are they gonna shoot themselves in the foot AGAIN?! Now Cavill may be a GREAT actor, I really don't know. I'm not familiar with his work. And IF he's gay, MAYBE he & the studio can keep all of that OUT of the project, unlike SINGERMAN. But here's the problem. IF Cavill IS gay, get ready for another ADVOCATE cover, like when our dear ol' friend 'BJ' was on the cover along with the question, "Is Superman gay?" Or whatever it said exactly. So the point is, HOW will this affect this reboot?

I think there's also some concern about his size. I know he's 6'1" but some apologists are saying 'get out the high heels' & such. He could also bulk up some. But I DO know that's he's been a favorite now for the role forever-and-a-day, but it's also disappointing that it's NOT Joe Manganiello, who I think LOOKS the part more than Cavill. Let's HOPE this isn't the equivalent of Singer casting Blandon 'BJ' Routhman! I know Snyder has a hand in this casting, but let's NOT forget NOLAN in the background, what with his 'ultra-realism' & such. I just hope this reboot is TRUE to the Superman character. Please, Nolan, no 'rational explanations' for Superman's powers & origin.

After the announcements the other day of the BATMAN castings I've been curious as to HOW long it'd be before we got some news on the SUPERMAN front. When I saw this posted while ago, I almost thought it was a joke but I knew Variety has a GOOD reputation so..........I FURTHER researched it & sure enough, SHH, duh Homopage, assorted news articles, just 'google' it. It's REAL enough. I just don't know what to THINK about it yet?! Question
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Henry Cavill Cast As Superman! Empty Re: Henry Cavill Cast As Superman!

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:08 pm

Back when Singerman casting was underway, Cavill's name popped up as a contender. He would've been about 21 or 22 at the time. It sounds stupid to think about it now but I figured Bryan Singer might hire him so that he could mature into the franchise. After all, Singer will be directing a reboot, right? Totally new universe, right? It's not like he'd cast an early 20-something to portray a veteran character, right?

Uh, oops.

But yeah. Cavill. I didn't oppose him because it made sense to go young with the casting. I figured he'd mature and grow into himself a little more as time went on.

Unfortunately, time has gone on and he kind of looks like just another typical Hollywood metrosexual now. (A) He's not the metro that other actors are and (B) that may be strictly a TV thing. But still, there it is.

More than Snyder I actually see Chris Nolan's fingerprints on this. Cavill is known but he's not really famous. He's got some good experience behind him as an actor but he's not really a posterboy. But most of all? He's fucking British! Cuz, y'know, Nolan never casts Euros for American parts or anything, no no.

I'm determined to give this a chance. Cavill wasn't my first choice (or even my second) but (A) at least it's not BJ Blandon and (B) Cavill seems to have some good chops as a performer. I'll give it a chance.

I'm just nervous as all fuck.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:23 pm

Oh hey, if you guys want some free entertainment, cruise on over to Younis page and watch the Apologists shit themselves. A few Welling/SV fans are up in arms too but, funny, they're the only ones getting bashed for not being happy that their guy got skipped over.

Can't fucking wait for Younis to cut the Apologists loose once and for all.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:49 pm

Actually I still had ONE of the links up about Cavill & haven't closed it yet:

http://www.henrycavillfan.com/rumors.php

Please keep in mind that this was copyrighted in 2009 & doesn't appear to have been updated lately. For example, it mentions a rumor about him playing Superman in the Justice League film so you KNOW this hasn't been updated. However, it DOES mention the rumor about him being gay which he DENIED:

"Henry Cavill is gay. [top]
Fiction. He has stated numerous times on message boards that, even though some of his good friends are gay, he himself is not."

There's another fact Cavill seems to dispute as well. 'Rumor' has it that HE was supposed to have played EDWARD CULLEN in the first TWILIGHT film but that the woman/creator what's-her-name who, although she had originally wanted him for the role, felt like he was 'too old' at 25 to be convincing as a 17-year old. However, THIS site disputes that:

"Henry Cavill is going to play Edward Cullen/Carlisle Cullen/Bella Swan/a sheep in the Twilight movie. [top]
Fiction. William Morris Agency confirmed that Henry was offered the script but turned it down; he did not audition for any role in the film. Harry Potter's Robert Pattinson landed the role of Edward Cullen."

Like I said, this site obviously isn't updated but I HOPE it sheds some light on what I HOPE is the truth. Anyone with better info, post away!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:02 pm

For me at least, the issue is less "so-and-so being gay" and more about how that affects the production. SV has several gay cast and crew members but you wouldn't know that just by watching the show because they're just trying to tell a "Superman comes of age" story. So-and-so's preferences are kept out of it... which is why you've never heard anybody bag on SV about this stuff.

By way of contrast... well, we've all seen Singerman so need to go there, right?

As long as nobody's peccadilloes affect the character, I don't care who fucks whom (or what).
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:59 pm

I found this image/manip of Cavill as Superman:

http://twitpic.com/3uz6e5

At least THIS manip isn't of him in the SINGERMAN suit like everyone & their cousin seems to do these days but instead it's in the REEVE outfit! THAT'S more like it!

EDIT TO ADD: I don't even know exactly how to GET the pic to show on here?!

Last edited by non_amos on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:13 am; edited 2 times in total
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:35 pm

I'm sure this guy wouldn't have gotten the job if he couldn't cut it. This is not Singer we're dealing with here, and for the same reason I'm not so concerned whether or not he is gay. I'm sure the film (and everything surrounding it) won't go there either.

Sadly Singer has tainted Superman in a way that STILL resonates all these years later.

Have to say, he looks pretty "tough" in that manip!

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:37 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Can't fucking wait for Younis to cut the Apologists loose once and for all.

I'd pay good money to see Ruth fans booted off the Homopage. Oh, the irony....

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:42 pm

Wow. Really?

So, Snyder agreed to make a Superman film with a 5'10 British actor? Couldn't go for someone a little more apropo? I really can't take ANYONE 5-6 inches shorter than I am as the Grand-Pappy of SuperHeroes.

Will I not give this movie a shot? Of course I will. Henry Cavill is no Blandon Routh. But am I "happy"?

Fuck no.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  lib Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:21 pm

This may not be the thread to post this in.... but I laughed when I read the announcement. Boy was Steve "Archangel" way off in who was on the short list to play Superman.
lib
lib
SuperFriend
SuperFriend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:28 pm

lib wrote:This may not be the thread to post this in....

Close enough for me.

but I laughed when I read the announcement. Boy was Steve "Archangel" way off in who was on the short list to play Superman.

Gee, that's a shocker isn't it?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:29 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Oh hey, if you guys want some free entertainment, cruise on over to Younis page and watch the Apologists shit themselves. A few Welling/SV fans are up in arms too but, funny, they're the only ones getting bashed for not being happy that their guy got skipped over.

Can't fucking wait for Younis to cut the Apologists loose once and for all.

It really is hi-larious.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Henry Cavill Cast As Superman! Empty FUCK THIS MOVIE!

Post  TomWelling4Superman Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:21 am

I don't know if it's Snyder or Nolan or the WB but someone has a big FUCK YOU coming to them from the fans... http://snyderssupermansucks.blogspot.com/

This movie will flop just like Singerman Returns.... This shall now be named "Snyderman!" and his failure has began... The curse continues I guess because the WB just can't seem to get it right... I mean seriously this guy is just all wrong for Superman! ALL WRONG!

At least that Joe Manganiello guy looks the part, and also is a good actor, and oh he's fucking AMERICAN!

Like how Superman should be you assholes! I can't believe this bullshit.. I'd have gone with Tom Welling or Joe Manganiello myself I think this is utter bullshit.

I'm not watching this crap in theaters I'm staying away just like I did with Singerman Returns.

TomWelling4Superman
Homophobe

User Reputation : -125

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:37 am

I'm on record repeatedly saying that, in my eyes, the Snyder reboot is presumed guilty until proven innocent. That said, we don't know much yet. Is Cavill my ideal? No. But it was foolish to ever pin all your hopes on Tom Welling being cast. For better or for worse, that obviously just wasn't meant to be.

I don't think we're quite to the point of calling this new thing "Snyderman" yet.

Again, the reboot is presumed guilty until proven innocent... but let's wait until *after* it's been given a fair day in court before we proceed with the executions, shall we?

That said, the EW poll you screen-capped is hilarious. The results really do speak for themselves. "2006's biggest star" didn't even scrape 13% of the vote...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:12 am

TomWelling4Superman wrote:This movie will flop just like Singerman Returns.... This shall now be named "Snyderman!" and his failure has began...

Whoa there! Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Colors is absolutely correct. At least wait until you SEE something from the film before panicking. It was the moment I saw Ruth in costume that I started to worry, but even then you had to be fair and see for yourself. It really has become something of an internet cliche to hurriedly start campaigns before any evidence has been seen, especially in light of a couple of recent and high profile examples such as "No Daniel Craig For Bond" and the anti Heath Ledger as Joker campaign.

In short, there is a chance the film could turn out to be rather good and in 18 months time all this could end up making you look rather silly.

As for his height, I have seen it listed as 6'. Personally, that's still too short for my liking for Superman though. I agree too that Welling's time has probably passed for a few reasons, but too me he looks about the ideal size for Superman right now.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  TomWelling4Superman Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:12 am

thecolorsblend wrote:I'm on record repeatedly saying that, in my eyes, the Snyder reboot is presumed guilty until proven innocent. That said, we don't know much yet. Is Cavill my ideal? No. But it was foolish to ever pin all your hopes on Tom Welling being cast. For better or for worse, that obviously just wasn't meant to be.

I don't think we're quite to the point of calling this new thing "Snyderman" yet.

Again, the reboot is presumed guilty until proven innocent... but let's wait until *after* it's been given a fair day in court before we proceed with the executions, shall we?

That said, the EW poll you screen-capped is hilarious. The results really do speak for themselves. "2006's biggest star" didn't even scrape 13% of the vote...

This fucker isn't even AMERICAN or the right height, and body frame to be Superman!!! This is a fucking sick twisted joke by the WB in a way this is them saying "FUCK YOU FANS WE DON'T GIVE A FUCK WHAT YOU WANT!"

TomWelling4Superman
Homophobe

User Reputation : -125

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:26 am

TomWelling4Superman wrote:This fucker isn't even AMERICAN
I'm not happy about that either, believe me. I sense Nolan's involvement in this decision.

or the right height,
I've seen him pegged at 6'1".

and body frame to be Superman!!!
Perhaps he'll look different when he's had a chance to bulk up a little.

This is a fucking sick twisted joke by the WB in a way this is them saying "FUCK YOU FANS WE DON'T GIVE A FUCK WHAT YOU WANT!"
I don't think so. The last thing any movie studio wants to do is go out of their way to piss the core fans. People can say whatever they like about the core fanbase being only a drop in the bucket but we are the ones who get courted during production and leading up to wide release. The last thing any movie studio wants to do is piss us off.

I have to imagine the above applies even more than usual in this particular case since I assume this is "make it or break it" time for Superman. If this movie fails, I wouldn't expect another Superman film from WB for a few decades.

Even though I disagree with all or most of the personnel choices made up to this point, my gut instinct is to assume that nobody involved with/financing the movie wants it to suck or for us to get pissed off.

And something else, I'd like to think I'm well-established among the royal elite of Smallville fans on this forum. I honestly don't think there's a bigger fan of the show actively posting on this site. NOBODY would've been happier than me if the Smallville continuity, or at least Tom Welling, had been brought to the big screen. Trust me, this ain't the Younis page, nobody's going to bash on the show (not without just cause anyway) around here. But it doesn't seem like a Smallville/Welling movie will ever happen. If it's that big a stumbling block for you, sorry, but as with the Apologists, I have to assume you're a fan of a particular actor more than you are a fan of Superman.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:47 am

Well let me start off by saying this... First off, I'm glad to hear that the WB has finally made an official casting and second, I did mention on another thread that whither either Henry Cavill or Joe Manganiello gets chosen for the roll I'd be cool with it and since one of them happens to got chosen which turns out to be Henry Cavill now I'am officially cool with it. Plus, I know Webhead2006 is going to love hearing this news!

Also, I seem to keep hearing that Henry Cavill is too short for the roll. Last time I checked Superman's official height in the comics is 6' 2" and Henry Cavill is only 6' 1" just one inch shorter than Superman's actual height which I don't see any big deal aleast from my propective! Hell, even Christopher Reeve was even two inches taller than Superman's actual height and the same can be said about Joe Manganiello except he's more three inches taller! So once again, I don't see the big deal just as long he's aleast around Superman's height!

I should also mention the Henry Cavill once auditioned for the role of Superman back when "Superman Returns" was beginning production, so I guess whatever Bryan Singer's lose is Zack Synder's teasure!

Last edited by Comicbookfan-V2 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  pax666 Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:55 am

This is my first post and just wanted to mention that a few people are worried about HC's height, surely this is a non issue? how often does Tom Cruise appear on screen as the midget he truly is? Also he'll probably be flyng at some point I imagine...

pax666
BJ Routh *Blech*
BJ Routh *Blech*

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:12 pm

Boy did this news just come out of nowhere. Totally didn't expect casting to get confirmed just yet. Missed it all to this morning due to work. But I am happy casting for superman is finally over. So now we can move to the supporting cast roles/villains. Which I am curious to see what characters/villains/casting turn up. Now for cavill, sure he isn't my first choice either, I would have gone for joe m, armie hammer, and even some of the other many names mentioned. But cavill is a solid choice. And boy is he lucky scoring superman now after all the times he lost out on other big roles. I think cavill name was around during the ratner/mcg days of what turned into sr, though i am not 100% sure. I hope cavill does well and hits it out of the park. Also did any one check out the heat vision article talking about possible names that cavill did beat out for the role.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:24 pm

Let's keep some things in perspective here before we CONDEMN this film out of hand without a fair trial.

First, since this is a REBOOT, I think that even though we may have wished that Welling would get the part, I think we also knew in our hearts that THAT wasn't happening any moreso than 'BJ' returning, & we KNOW how much duh apologists continually cry for that! "BJ' would've meant continuing THAT crap storyline but Welling would've meant a SMALLVILLE continuity which obviously wasn't happening either. Reboot means just, reboot. I guess the goal is to tell a SUPERMAN story in the more traditional sense without following any particular incarnation, so that means a NEW actor.

Secondly, there's the whole controversy with duh Siegel heirs. This really IS 'make it or break it' for Superman! Sure, some people think WB would sabotage this on purpose to screw over the Siegels but I personally don't think it will go like that. I think WB/DC WANT to keep the characters & will fight for it. IF they wanted to ruin it, then they'd get some crap director with some even MORE awful casting than Singerman. Which brings me to the next point.

The third point is the involvement of BOTH Christopher Nolan & Zack Snyder. Like Nolan or not, he IS establishing himself as a top-notch director these days & is making a BOATLOAD of money for WB. He also tends to bring to the table GREAT casting & even though he's 'ultra-realism' he still knows HOW to tell a story. Snyder is no slouch either! I just watched his re-make of DAWN OF THE DEAD (Director's Cut) this past weekend & it's a great film! He did great with 300 but MY personal favorite is the ULTIMATE version of WATCHMEN! To me, that showed he knows how to make a superhero film! Sure, it under-performed at the box office but it wasn't for a LACK of quality.

I think when you combine the various elements that are in place here plus anything I may have overlooked, I think you can see that more likely than not we're gonna get a high-quality, big-budget Superman film along the lines of the first Reeve film but also drastically different. More modern, better FX & all of that. I think Snyder will deliver GREAT FX! I just hope they choose WORTHY villains. Luthor will HAVE to be there by default even in a supporting role. I just hope they don't choose a 'BANE' type of character for Superman to fight!

Hopefully as this progresses we'll know more about everything else also.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:49 pm

Totally non its fair to early to say film is crap/doomed. When casting isn't completed, filming doesn't start for months. And we don't have alot of real details on the film. I for one wont judge it more to we know some true story details, and once we get all the cast and filming and see set photos/reports and ultimately some footage of the film. I do hope nolans/snyder will do the best possible.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Belltown213 Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:26 pm

TomWelling4Superman wrote:I don't know if it's Snyder or Nolan or the WB but someone has a big FUCK YOU coming to them from the fans... http://snyderssupermansucks.blogspot.com/

This movie will flop just like Singerman Returns.... This shall now be named "Snyderman!" and his failure has began... The curse continues I guess because the WB just can't seem to get it right... I mean seriously this guy is just all wrong for Superman! ALL WRONG!

At least that Joe Manganiello guy looks the part, and also is a good actor, and oh he's fucking AMERICAN!

Like how Superman should be you assholes! I can't believe this bullshit.. I'd have gone with Tom Welling or Joe Manganiello myself I think this is utter bullshit.

I'm not watching this crap in theaters I'm staying away just like I did with Singerman Returns.

Hey I feel ya TW4S, I was really hoping for Welling as well but kind of knew inside that it wasn't meant to be but at least we got like ten years of him as Supes. I'm not saying all ten seasons were all good but for the most part I really enjoyed them.

I too have some reservations about the casting of Cavill, BTW really enjoyed reading your blog post on the subject of the casting.
Belltown213
Belltown213
Kirk Alyn
Kirk Alyn

User Reputation : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:24 pm

TomWelling4Superman wrote:This fucker isn't even AMERICAN.....

The "fucker" isn't Kryptonian either. Those Brits should know their place and stick to the well worn path of only playing bad guys in American movies......It's called acting you fucking idiot.

As long as in the film he's raised by a nice, traditional, old fashioned American couple, and as someone not born in the United States quickly learns to love and embrace the positive things America stands for. All thanks to the good old fashioned American values installed in him by his adopted parents.....Surely there's more to being proud to be American than just being born there. "Give us your poor, your huddled masses....or whatever" That's more the point of Superman's connection to America, surely? Otherwise he might as well have moved to the Bahamas! To complain that an actor PLAYING Superman wasn't born in the States seems to miss the bloody point made in 1938.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 18 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next