Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amazing Spider-Man news thread

+2
Apologist Puncher
webhead2006
6 posters

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Go down

Amazing Spider-Man news thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Amazing Spider-Man news thread

Post  James Stocks Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:49 pm

From an article on BadassDigest

Devin Faraci wrote:By the way, for those keeping score: The Amazing Spider-Man screened in New York last week. There were a handful who liked it (mostly people you never heard of, to be frank), a few who felt it was forgettable and unnecessary, and some who hated it. The biggest Spider-Man fan I know found it to be a travesty. But most important: all of the changed origin stuff is gone. The bits about Peter's dad manipulating his genetic code is out, meaning there now is NO "Untold Story."

What the hell is going on with this film?
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Amazing Spider-Man news thread - Page 15 Empty Re: Amazing Spider-Man news thread

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:45 pm

How about we just wait and see what the film says/shows. Heck stuff get changed/drop out of films all the time from screening. And really if that altering code stuff really was in the film and now got dropped. Its not the only "untold stuff" for the film. We still have the whole point of seeing and learning about his parents and there deaths. Story aspect to play with the untold story.

Also here is a german tv spot:
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:22 pm

James Stocks wrote:From an article on BadassDigest

Devin Faraci wrote:By the way, for those keeping score: The Amazing Spider-Man screened in New York last week. There were a handful who liked it (mostly people you never heard of, to be frank), a few who felt it was forgettable and unnecessary, and some who hated it. The biggest Spider-Man fan I know found it to be a travesty. But most important: all of the changed origin stuff is gone. The bits about Peter's dad manipulating his genetic code is out, meaning there now is NO "Untold Story."

What the hell is going on with this film?

Not a good sign.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:03 am

My thoughts on this flick have gone up and down so many times now I'm just gonna wait for word of mouth before I even bother.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:14 am

I've never been such a big Spider-Man fan that I really give a fuck about his origin. So that part doesn't bug me too much. As long as there's plenty of Spider-Man punching people in the face and making fun of thugs, I guess I'll be alright.

Don't get me wrong, I tried to be a Spider-Man fan once... but unfortunately for me it was in the middle of the fucking Clone Saga and it felt like Marvel was actively trying to turn me away as a reader. But that's how it was and that's why my embryonic Spider-Man fandom basically died.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:47 am

Ya for me I don't really care for critics thoughts on some films. If it looks good I see it and then judge the film myself. I rather see what fans/general audiences think of the film myself. Since certain critics either don't care for cbm/actors in films or they are just shit criticsts.

Also here is a new clip from the film:

Here is some more critics reviews:
http://moviehole.net/201254786first-official-reviews-for-the-amazing-spider-man-hit
First official reviews for The Amazing Spider-Man hit!

The Daily Bugle headline reads “Spider-Man reboot spins mixed reviews”. Yep, in pours half-a-dozen or so of the first reviews for “The Amazing Spider-Man”, which premiered in London last night.

Seems the consensus is that the film is genuinely… just OK. Those that have a real fondness for Sam Raimi’s 2001 “Spider-Man” movie likely not to be racing home afterwards to their DVD copy in a hard-to-find place anytime soon.

I’m still very keen myself! But here’s what the UK critics are saying nonetheless…

The Guardian say :

Be that as it may, Webb successfully treads a fine line between keeping the hardcore superhero-movie fans happy and injecting a dose of meaningful affect. Parker is generally reckoned to be the most “relatable” figure in the superhero canon, but the pastel-bright synthetics of the earlier movies did little to dispel the sense that the comic-book world could only construct its characters out of clunking great blocks of melodrama.

In re-engineering Parker into the introspective, uncertain male more typical of his previous film, Webb is aided by a terrific performance from Andrew Garfield, who brings a genial unflappability that allows him to negotiate the often-ludicrous demands of the superhero plotline. At the same time, Webb also shows an unarguable facility for the more traditional action elements of the story, and the 3D certainly helps: he pulls off some properly nauseating shots as Parker dives off skyscrapers, rescues kids from falling, and the like.

The Telegraph says :

Ever since Twilight tipped off Hollywood to the spending power of girls and their mothers, a range of increasingly expensive films aimed at that audience has materialised. Perhaps it was only a matter of time before a superhero suited up with them in mind, although it remains to be seen how die-hard Spider-fans will react to their hero courting a different – some would say rival – demographic.

That’s not to say The Amazing Spider-Man is short on blockbuster testosterone, and the film’s second half offers more than enough bungee-swinging through Manhattan’s concrete canyons, immaculately rendered in vertiginous, silky-smooth 3D, to satisfy thrill-seekers of either sex. What’s refreshing is how Webb makes those action sequences count: with a plot that rests almost entirely on the romance between his two leads.

Twilight in spandex? Well, perhaps, although it’s this radically different approach to Stan Lee and Steve Ditko’s crimefighter, who celebrates his 50th birthday this year, that makes Sony Pictures’ reboot worthwhile. The Avengers fans have enough heroes already. What a thrill to see one fighting for another cause.

Total Film say :

“The untold story,” gushed the hype. There’s only one story, shrugs someone in the film, accompanied by what sounds like back-pedalling: “Who am I?” So what is it? New story, or same-old repackaged? Both and neither, as it happens.

Swinging from fresh to faithful-to-source, Marc Webb’s reboot is a sparky, well-cast, often punchy Spidey spin… but it’s also Spider-Man Begins Again, struggling in places to assert its own identity.

“Untold story” claims hinge on Parker’s pursuit of the truth about his dad, but it diverts into turf better covered by Raimi, despite the wrestling den being deserted this time.

But Webb scores on action, surprisingly so given the lack of cross-species smackdowns in his rom-drama (500) Days Of Summer. True, Connors’ swing from good guy to grotesque is fudged a beat too fast for the Lizard to be a true tragic villain. Raimi might have made more of that and of the Lizard’s misdeeds: one bio-terror emission goes nowhere.

But even though the generic CGI monster sits awkwardly with a more “grounded” rethink, and even though Spidey’s homemade web-shooters won’t thrill anyone but the comic-book faithful, there’s a satisfyingly visceral thwack to the set-pieces.

The Evening Standard says :

Shame. We finally get a British superhero, and he’s a bit boring. London-born Andrew Garfield has stepped into the spandex Spidey-suit for this premature reboot of the Marvel franchise.

Director Marc Webb aims for a new realism, stripping away the brio of Sam Raimi’s 2002 version with Tobey Maguire.

He also dispenses with much of the character and sass that always made this character fun. It’s not Garfield’s fault: he is a convincingly troubled, inarticulate Peter Parker, a springily athletic Spider-Man, and has awesome hair. His greatest enemy is the script. That, and the rather wearisome 3D.

Empire says :

Graced with great performances from Garfield and Stone, The Amazing Spider-Man is a rare comic-book flick that is better at examining relationships than superheroism. If it doesn’t approach the current benchmark of Avengers Assemble, it still delivers a different enough, enjoyable origin story to live comfortably alongside the Raimi era.

Very mixed indeed. Be interesting to see what the stateside critics think.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:10 pm

Denis Leary on playing Captain Stacy:
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:54 am

webhead2006 wrote:Denis Leary on playing Captain Stacy:
It's Denis Leary shaking hands with Stan Lee.

If you don't dig that... fuck you!
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:36 pm

The Amazing Spider-man early tracking info:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amazing-spider-man-125-million-gross-july-4-opening-340274
According to The Hollywood Reporter, pre-release tracking for The Amazing Spider-Man suggests that it will have a six day opening of $125 million +. This will be one of the best openings of the summer blockbuster season, beaten only by the incredible record set by Marvel's The Avengers ($258 million).

Tracking isn't always that reliable, but still shows that there is a lot of interest from males of all ages and a fair bit from females under the age of 25 (more than likely due to the popularity of Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone). In comparison, Sam Raimi's Spider-Man opened to $144 million, Spider-Man 2 to $180 million, and Spider-Man 3 to $176 million.

UPDATE: The Los Angeles Times reports that The Amazing Spider-Man is more likely to hit the $150 million mark during its first six days of release, although Sony Pictures have declined to comment on these claims.

Also another clip from the film(spoiler warning):

webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:16 pm

Another featurette:

Second wave of reviews for The Amazing Spider-Man:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=62168
The Second Wave Of Reviews For THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Hit

The first reviews for The Amazing Spider-Man were almost all positive,but now that the likes of SFX,The Daily Mail,The Hollywood Reporter and Variety are all weighing in,what's the verdict? Find out here. Josh Wilding - 6/22/2012

Despite some mixed and negative reviews (a few of which you can see below) the overall consensus appears to be a positive one for The Amazing Spider-Man, although it seems unlikely that it will receive a similar level of acclaim as Marvel's The Avengers. While a lot of critics are still embargoed, we have a pretty good selection of opinions ranging from the likes of UK film magazines such as SFX to tabloids like The Daily Mail and US trades such as Variety. More reviews can be found by clicking HERE, while we here at CBM will be posting our first review of the film on June 29th.

But as the film to kickstart the franchise afresh, The Amazing Spider-Man more than succeeds. It may not have the non-stop action and spectacle of Avengers Assemble, but it does have characters you can fall in love with, and bags of charm. You feel the series is in safe hands with Webb, Garfield and Stone. And in an extra scene in the end credits, it also delivers an enticing cliffhanger that should definitely leave you wanting more...

Source: SFX

There isn’t a lot that hasn’t been seen before, and although the special effects are impressive, they’re no improvement on Spider-Man 2, which remains by far the best of the franchise. Director Marc Webb, hired on the strength of his indie romcom 500 Days Of Summer, does a competent job, helped by his two talented leading actors, but doesn’t bring anything fresh to the party. The writers don’t make Parker’s abandonment issues interesting or original (they come across as a trivialised versions of Batman’s), and the screenplay could have done with more humour.

Source: The Daily Mail

Webb's film is slow on plot, skimpy on character development. It takes 45 minutes for Peter's Uncle Ben (Martin Sheen) to be murdered, an hour till we see the spider suit. Then Peter goes from dorky to cocky without passing charm on the way. Brittle Gwen turns gooey the moment he turns up at school battered from fighting crime. So, chicks dig scars, right? The "RealD 3D" is fine for the flying sequences, confusing in the fights, and gives that awful cardboard-cutout look to narrative scenes. Webb saves up most of the emotional punch for a downbeat, wet-eyed ending in which Garfield and Stone are superb. Then there's a completely nonsensical scene cueing up the inevitable sequel.

Source: The Evening Standard

Leaping back onto the screen with a new cast, crew, costume and a whole new array of daddy issues, The Amazing Spider-Man reboots the top-grossing Marvel franchise to altogether satisfying results. Directed with emotional depth and plenty of comedic touches by Marc Webb (no pun intended), this somewhat darker depiction of your friendly neighborhood superhero inserts a touching portrait of adolescent angst into an otherwise predictable dose of CGI-fueled action, with stars Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone breathing new life into Stan Lee’s 50-year-old creation.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

So yes, this new iteration of the web slinger's origin is, I suppose, serviceable, but it also feels like a clumsy, uninspired cash grab, one which lurches through virtually all of the story beats from Sam Raimi's original, but never manages the freewheeling exuberance that propped that movie up even when it lost its footing. Sure, its got a darker color palate, a new villain, and some arbitrary changes to the back story, but nothing in the film is anywhere near diverting enough to justify the existence of the thing. Worse still, the charm, humor and melodrama that Raimi weaved into the action so deftly all feel forced and cloying this time around.

Source: Twitch

A nerdy schoolboy from Queens gets bitten by an altered arachnid -- again -- in "The Amazing Spider-Man," a mostly slick, entertaining and emotionally involving recombination of fresh and familiar elements. With the propitiously named Marc Webb at the helm and a solid screenplay, Sony's reboot of its successful franchise, arriving five years after the last Sam Raimi-directed installment, is gratifyingly more of a drama-with-action than a nonstop assault on the senses. Benefiting enormously from the perfect chemistry of leads Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, this superhero date movie should do boffo biz, though only strong word of mouth can confer must-see status.

webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:59 am

The Amazing Spider-Man editorr talks on the film:
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:22 pm

Imax tv spot:

Oscorp featurette:

Six new photos from the film:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=62299
Amazing Spider-Man news thread - Page 15 196829126
Amazing Spider-Man news thread - Page 15 959396428
Amazing Spider-Man news thread - Page 15 413500763
Amazing Spider-Man news thread - Page 15 944869911
Amazing Spider-Man news thread - Page 15 495749990
Amazing Spider-Man news thread - Page 15 930483944
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:22 pm

New Imax poster:
Amazing Spider-Man news thread - Page 15 5sCB2

Making the suit featurette:

Marc webb talks The Amazing Spider-man:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/06/26/marc-webb-the-amazing-spider-man_n_1626287.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
"The Amazing Spider-Man" is director Marc Webb's second movie. This is not is not a statement on Webb -- whose first film was the almost universally loved "(500) Days of Summer" -- or "The Amazing Spider-Man," but more of an example of how quickly things can escalate in Hollywood. Though,Webb's ascent to franchise director didn't come without some problems -- well,three to be exact: the number of other Spider-Man movies released since 2002.

Armed with a new cast that includes Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker and Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy,a surprisingly honest Webb discusses the challenges of bringing everyone's favorite webslinger to life -- especially so soon after Sam Raimi's trilogy -- and reveals the one aspect of the original series of films that he refused to recreate.

I was disappointed that Han Solo didn't make an appearance like he did in "(500) Days of Summer."

I tried! They wouldn't let us. You know,in "(500) Days of Summer" with Han Solo, it's a Foxmovie. And originally that was written as Paul Newman,I think. And I thought a little bit more about who my touchstone for cool was. And it was Han Solo.

Could that be a recurring theme for you?

I don't know where we could put in Han Solo in this.

It would have been odd to see Han winking at Peter in a reflection.

[Laughs] I'll put some thought into that.

Speaking of Harrison Ford, at one point Peter uses his web to lasso Gwen back for their first kiss. That seemed very reminiscent of "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."

Maybe subconsciously. It wasn't a deliberate homage,but I was just thinking of what he would do. It's a loaded moment,you know? He's revealing himself so you want to dramatize that rather than just him saying something. And it was a way that kind of made sense. It's good that you picked that up!

I remember during press for "(500) Days," there were rumors that you were going to direct "The A-Team." How did that turn into "The Amazing Spider-Man"?

I owe a movie to Fox-- I have an optional movie with them and I really look forward to working with them again. And they had "The A-Team" and there was some preliminary discussions. But the problem was that in "(500) Days of Summer" we were going to use "The A-Team" theme song instead of the "Knight Rider" theme song,but they wouldn't let us use "The A-Team" because they were making a movie. Then they were like,"Hey,do you want to consider directing it?" Joe Carnahan eventually directed and I'm sure they made the right choice,but that's where that came from.

"(500) Days" is a movie that's well liked and you had a lot of good will from that film. "Spider-Man" comes with a lot of baggage. Would you have liked at least one more smaller film before directing a summer blockbuster?

You know,I am a risk taker by nature. And I remember that I was working on some things and this came about and I knew it wasn't going to last forever,that opportunity. And I was a Spider-Man fan; a Peter Parker fan. The kid in me was like, Are you kidding? Would you pass this up?

That's a tough offer to say "no" to.

Yeah,the other thing is that I thought about other movies. You know,"Harry Potter" is closed canon -- it's seven books and you can only create so many things. "Spider-Man" has been around for 50 years and there are so many stories to tell and so many nuances and connections to make. If anything,I was overwhelmed by the amount of material on which to draw. Going back to the beginning,we've seen the origin of Spider-Man,but we haven't seen the origin of Peter Parker. I was really interested in opening that page,that chapter of the story. But I felt like this Peter Parker was different -- being left behind by your parents would be such a massive event in someone's life. It's going to define the character and that hadn't been explored before.

I have heard rumors that you wanted Peter's parents to be the source of his powers, not the traditional accidental radioactive spider bite. There are rumors of a reshoot to incorporate the more traditional spider bite.

I think there was something on the internet.

I want to clear that up.

It's completely false.

So what we see is the way it was always shot?

Yes.

And the parents will be a theme of the trilogy?

Yeah,it's the long shadow that's cast over his life.

Well, Campbell Scott is cast as Peter's father. He's a good actor, so I can't help but assume we haven't seen the last of him.

Ha,ha. Interesting. Yeah,when I think about the story,I think of a kid who goes out looking for his father and finds himself. But the circumstances around his parents disappearing from the plane crash and all that is an ongoing history.

I feel this Peter is more reckless than the one that Tobey Maguire played.

Yeah,it's a really interesting point. I feel he needs to learn those lessons in a profound way. There is something about being a teenager. And when I was talking to Stan Lee very early on,we were talking about what makes Peter Parker Peter Parker. He's different than a more polished,perfect hero. And one of the great things about Peter Parker is that imperfection.

Martin Sheen plays Uncle Ben, who is always a doomed character. Was there any thought to keeping him alive, even in an effort to contrast this story with past stories?

I think that would have been a violation of the canon. I don't think that would have been a good idea. I mean,I think that's such an important part the initial part of his development. He needs that loss.

In a perfect world, selfishly, would you rather that other series of Spider-Man movies not exist?

Oh,no. No. It's something I thought about early on and it's an important and good question to ask. But,I love those movies. I love what Sam Raimi did in that.

But not as a fan. As a director trying to make a good movie, would it have been easier if those weren't there? What if you had a great idea, but couldn't go there because it was territory already covered?

[Pauses] But that goes way beyond just Spider-Man. Superhero movies are such a big,expansive genre. And that goes well beyond any Spider-Man movie. It could be Batman or Captain America -- any of those things. That's the real challenge.

Does it help that "Spider-Man 3" is almost universally despised?

Well,I don't know if it was universally despised. It did incredibly well at the box-office. I think that they finished that story and that really doesn't enter into my equation of things. Again,in the comics, there are so many stories and characters to explore. And that was the genesis of it. It wasn't about dodging what happened before. In a way,he was more born to be on screen than he was for the comics. And the possibility of doing it in 3D and using the new technology ...

Which looked great.

Thank you. And,yeah,I wanted to see if I could create that sensation of flight, swinging through the air. Because 3D was in vogue for a minute,then everyone hated it. But,I think there's something organic about the connection between Spider-Man and 3D.

What do you want to do next?

I don't know. You know,I want to finish this up and go to a beach and think about the future.

What does that mean?

Well,it's a long ... People ask about the sequel and I'm like,"Well,you know,I don't know if I want to do that,but I love the process." I love Andrew and Emma. But it's like asking someone who has just given birth,"Do you want to get pregnant again?"

That's a good point. You could have done two more "(500) Days"-type movies in the time you've done this.

Yeah,but there's something about the challenge that's so interesting,I was just curious.

There's a scene in which Peter picks up a copy of The Daily Bugle, though we never meet J. Jonah Jameson.

OK,that's the one thing from the previous movies. He was such a bombastic character,it would have been difficult.

J.K. Simmons?

Yeah.

You should just get him again.

He's so fantastic. I used to see J.K. Simmons -- my mom is from Montana --at the Big Fork Summer Playhouse where he used to perform. I was like eight or nine years old,I saw him on stage as this local Montana actor. So,I remembered him! I look back at my little program, which I collected and I was obsessed with. So,I've had this connection and fascination with him,but I've never met him. I think it would have been just impossible for anybody to reinvent that.

Whether you come back for the next one or not, how do you solve that problem?

I think The Daily Bugle is a really important part of Peter Parker's universe. That bridge will have to be crossed.

You mentioned that Peter has to learn his lessons in a profound way. For people who know Gwen Stacy's fate in the comics, is that what you're alluding to?

Um,that's interesting. You know,I am a huge fan of the Gwen Stacy saga in the comics. I think it's one of the more interesting and controversial storylines --certainly in Spider-Man and really in all comics. And I think one of the reasons that it was interesting to tell Gwen Stacy is because of that element. But,of course, you need to establish that connection. And we'll see [raising and lowering eyebrows] how that unfolds.

Mike Ryan is senior entertainment writer for The Huffington Post. He likes Star Wars a lot. You can contact him directly on Twitter.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:54 am

Some more reviews and another featurette:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/NerdyGeek/news/?a=62446
Latest Reviews For THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Are More Mixed

Several Sites including IGN,HitFix,Associated Press and more have released their reviews for Marc Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man. These reviews are more mixed than what we have previously heard and read. More after the jump! TheIrishAvenger - 6/27/2012

Over the past couple of days, sites including IGN, Associated Press and more have released their full reviews for Marc Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man. Some of these reviews are mixed and have therefore dropped the film's Rotten Tomatoes score from 92% to 78%. Check out excerpts from the reviews down below.

But in terms of tone, characters, performances and even visual effects, "The Amazing Spider-Man" feels like its own separate entity. It may not be as transporting or genre-altering an experience as those earlier films, especially the first two, but it finds a distinct voice. And a great deal of that has to do with the central performance from Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker.

Rating: 3/4 Source: Associated Press

Superhero movies have been going strong for 12 years now, putting more pressure on “The Amazing Spider-Man” to start fresh, deliver the goods, stand on its own merits and honor the webhead’s legacy on his landmark 50th anniversary.

“The Amazing Spider-Man” does all of those things and lives up to its name – and that, True Believers, is an amazing feat indeed. Excelsior!

Rating: 4/5 Source: Access Hollywood

Marc Webb's "The Amazing Spider-Man" may not offer the obvious and immediate satisfaction of Sam Raimi's movies - at it's slowest moments, it almost feels like he's making a Spider-Man for the "Twilight" generation. That said, the more you think about it, the more you realize how well it portrays certain aspects of the character better than other typical comic book action movies, and they've certainly set up solid groundwork for another great superhero franchise.

Rating: 7/10 Source: Coming Soon

The Amazing Spider-Man stands as a lesson for all reboots. Audiences don't need to go back to Origin Story 101 with these characters, no matter how much spit and polish filmmakers put on such a tale. And simply copying the success of other pictures -- let's go dark like Chris Nolan! -- isn't the key to super-success either. Undiscerning audiences might be mildly diverted by Webb's film, but alas it won't have the lasting impact of many of its superhero peers.

Rating: 6/10 Source: IGN

What's good is okay, and what's bad is baffling, and overall, "The Amazing Spider-Man" is, at best, average, and in an age where talented filmmakers are battling to elevate a genre that has become a mini-industry within the larger industry, average just isn't good enough.

Rating: C+ Source: HitFix

Even with its cutting-edge special effects, the decision to make Webb’s ‘Amazing Spider-Man’ a reboot gives it a faintly stale aroma — especially when it starts cribbing Raimi’s we-are-all-in-this-together post-9/11 New York City milieu. Rehashing the story we already know gives us nothing more than an excuse for some undeniably impressive imagery. That’s who this Peter Parker is. He’s got an extra visual dimension, but no new emotional ones.

Rating: 5/10 Source: ScreenCrush

Ten summers after releasing Spider-Man — and in the process giving birth to a franchise that grossed nearly $2.5b over three films — Sony starts all over again with The Amazing Spider-Man, a sufficiently entertaining origin story that doesn’t quite reach the dramatic depths it aspires to achieve. Anchored by Andrew Garfield’s heartfelt performance as the lovably nerdy Peter Parker, this effects-laden spectacle can’t help but feel a touch familiar, even though certain significant story beats have been altered from the 2002 film starring Tobey Maguire. The results may not be Amazing — but they’re certainly good enough.

Source: Screen International

Webshooter featurette:

Two other featurettes online:

webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Bleeding Cool has their own review, and here's an excerpt:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/28/the-amazing-spider-man-the-bleeding-cool-review/

Here’s a little-known fact. As a reviewer, you’re always secretly hoping for the film you’re seeing to stink. Really bad films are a gift for a writer who wants to just riff on silly dialogue and shonky effects and questionable continuity. A real hatchet job can leave a movie reviewer feeling like they’re the funniest guy (or lady) alive.

Second prize is a film that’s flat-out awesome. Sure it’s a drag thumbing through the thesaurus hunting down new synonyms for ‘spiffy’ but still…you’ve just seen a great movie. What’s not to love about that?

The ones us movie review guys really hate are films that are just ‘fine’. If a movie doesn’t conspicuously reek, but doesn’t absolutely rock either, a writer has to work hard to make his review interesting.

I’m going to have to work pretty hard on this one.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:31 pm

Hm. So we rebooted a perfectly good franchise for a "just good" movie?

Thrilling in that not-at-all kinda way...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:07 am

On the Review thread I thought this was from SHH but actually it's from Fandango which was in my e-mail:

http://www.fandango.com/movieblog/amazing-spiderman-confirmed-as-start-of-trilogy-could-sinister-six-be-involved-717846.html?wss=fanmail&type=Newsletter&mailing=7.6.12%20Newsletter

'The Amazing Spider-Man' Confirmed As Start of a Trilogy: Could the Sinister Six be Involved?

By: Sean O'Connell on July 5, 2012 at 11:46AM

Marc Webb’s The Amazing Spider-Man got off to a strong start over the holiday, setting a new box office record for a single-day Tuesday opening (with an estimated $35 million) and the second-best posting for a July 4th screening. Before the film opened, we wondered if the reboot would earn enough money to justify a sequel. Now that the film’s breaking records, the question shifts to, "How many sequels will this successful reboot deliver?"

In interviews leading up to the film’s release, producers Matt Tolmach and Avi Arad were hinting at "multiple" Spider-Man movies, saying "at least three" were on the studio’s radar. Then, on the day the movie opened, the film’s official Facebook page confirmed that this would be "the first installment in a movie trilogy that will explore how our fave hero’s journey was shaped by the disappearance of his parents."

So there you go. A trilogy. And the plot threads introduced in this thrilling reboot now can be explored over two additional films. Respected screenwriters Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci already have been hired for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (or whatever they’ll choose to call it), and Sony already has set a release date for May 2, 2014. Very exciting.

There are characters Spider-Man fans think that they’ll see in the sequels, Most notably, speculation has swirled around the Green Goblin, who plays an integral part in the tragic future of Gwen Stacy (played by the lovely Emma Stone).

But two things are throwing us off the proverbial scent of Norman Osborn and his alter ego, the Green Goblin, as a focal point for the pending sequel. For starters, in an interview with Ain’t It Cool News, Spider-Man villain Rhys Ifans flat-out claims that the mysterious man in the post-credits sequence is not Norman, but rather an employee of the menacing Oscorp. That doesn’t mean Norman won’t be the villain in a Spider-Man sequel. It just means there might be additional villains to the iconic Goblin.

Could there be six total villains? Now we’re getting somewhere. In an interview with SuperheroHype, the candid Tolmach and Arad referenced the character-clad Avengers movie as a model for how they could possibly pit Spidey against The Sinister Six, a band of villains that included Mysterio, Doctor Octopus, Electro, the Vulture, Kraven and Sandman. That being said, one of the major criticisms aimed as Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man 3 was that between Venom, Sandman and Harry Osborn’s Goblin, there were too many villains. Juggling six Spidey villains would be a major challenge for any director, no matter how much screen time he or she is given.

So the details are vague, but the future for Marvel and Sony’s Spider-Man looks very bright. Tell us, who would you like to see Andrew Garfield square off against in the announced sequel? And how should the franchise conclude when we reach part three of this rebooted trilogy? Share your thoughts below!

Follow along on Twitter @Sean_OConnell and @Fandango.

Amazing Spider-Man news thread - Page 15 Amazin10

Sounds like a plan. Just don't screw it up like the concept was screwed up before.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:35 am

Man a sinister six pplot in a spiderman film would be sweet. Hopefully they can get it to happen.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:09 pm

Marc webb might not be able to return for sequel:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/amazing-spider-man-marc-webb-sequel-351195?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
The Amazing Spider-Man is still chugging along at the box office with the last numbers that we got going over the 500 million dollar range. With numbers like that and the films cliff hanger after credits scene a sequel is all but a given. Whether or not director Marc Webb will be apart of the sequel not so much a given. Columbia Pictures Chief Doug Belgrad sat down to talk with The Hollywood Reporter where he said Fox Studio holds the power to let Webb do the film or not. We'd really like him back, but there are obstacles. He has an obligation to Fox," he said. The obligation that Belgrad is referring to is Webb owes them another film for doing 500 Days of Summer. This is all still up in the air at the moment and it is NOT a for sure answer that he isn't going to return. What this does mean though is that there is a chance that Spidey will have a new director when he hits theaters again in 2014.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:35 pm

This ain't even Marvel Studios but the same crap is happening?! What kind of crazy trend is this?! Shocked
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:37 pm

Well its not like the studio doesn't want him back. Just fox has option for him to make another film for them. Hopefully fox let's webb do tasm 2 first before do another film for them.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:51 pm

Fox may allow webb to do tasm 2 for a price:
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-will-webb-keep-spinning-spiderman-2-battle-heats-up-20120730,0,377218.story
Will Webb keep spinning?'Spider-Man 2' battle intensifies

Christopher Nolan’s post-Batman plans may be a hot topic of conversation in moviedom, but intrigue is swirling around a different director of a 2012 summer smash: “The Amazing Spider-Man's” Marc Webb.

According to a person briefed on discussions about the franchise, Sony wants Webb back for a planned spring 2014 sequel (with $650 million in global box office for the first movie, why wouldn't it?). Maybe more crucially, the director wants to return too.

The idea would be for Webb to continue to build the world, Nolan style, this time with the help of a couple of new writers, veterans Alex Kurzman and Roberto Orci, who are already scribbling, along with James Vanderbilt from the first picture. The film would also allow Webb to explore the matter of Peter Parker's parents and background, which were teased in marketing materials but little addressed in the film. A Webb return would surely make waves on fan sites, where the director's"Spider-Man"has been the subject of vocal debate this summer.

Webb had initially been on the hook for at least one film at the studio after Fox Searchlight made “(500) Days of Summer” with the then-little known director in 2008 and early 2009. Executives gave him a reprieve to work on “Spider-Man.” But they’re less inclined to give him another, especially now that it’s been more than three years since he made a movie for them.

(One project he could make for Fox Searchlight, incidentally, is “Age of Rage,” a dark, futuristic biothriller from the writer of “Black Swan.” "Rage" had gone into development years ago and brought in the “Swan” writer, Mark Heyman, last year, though a script is not yet ready.)

A Sony spokesman declined to comment. A Fox Searchlight representative was not immediately available for comment.

One way out of all this: Fox is considering giving its blessing to Webb on "Spidey" but in exchange would extract a two-picture commitment from Webb. It would be a steep price to pay for the filmmaker — most in-demand directors don’t like locking themselves up that long — but it would free him to return to one of Hollywood's biggest franchises.

If the sides aren't able to come to an agreement, Sony has to move quickly to find a new director: The new "Spider-Man" is set to hit theaters in 21 months.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:26 pm

The amazing spider-man bluray details:
http://superherohype.com/news/articles/172097-the-amazing-spider-man-blu-ray-special-features-revealed
The Amazing Spider-Man Blu-ray Features Revealed? by Spencer Perry August 02, 2012 Share this story

Including those deleted scenes you saw in the trailers

Amazon may have spilled the beans on what the special features will be on this summer's The Amazing Spider-Man Blu-ray. The film will see a release on Blu-ray, 3D Blu-ray and DVD along with a box set including all three versions.

The list of extras included on the Blu-ray are:

- Deleted Scenes and Alternate Takes - Audio Commentaries with Cast and Crew - The Oscorp Archives – Art and Promotional Materials Gallery - Screen Tests - Stunt Rehearsals

The 3D Blu-ray offers two more exclusive features alone with two collectible figurines:

- Both 3D & 2D versions of the film

- Interactive 3D Film School with Director Marc Webb

- Collectible Amazing Spider-Man Figurine

- Collectible Lizard Figurine

There's no official release date yet. Don't treat this list as concrete as they features are subject to change before the film's release, however.

Directed by Marc Webb from a script by James Vanderbilt, the action adventure stars Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Rhys Ifans, Denis Leary, Campbell Scott, Irrfan Khan, Martin Sheen and Sally Field.

webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:54 pm

Bluray cover and release date:
http://superherohype.com/news/articles/172233-the-amazing-spider-man-hitting-blu-ray-and-dvd-on-november-9
Amazing Spider-Man news thread - Page 15 ASM_Blu_ray
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:31 pm

List of deleted scenes for TASM:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=66774
Full List Of THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Special Features And Deleted Scenes

The British Board of Film Classification have rated the entire selection of special features which will be included on the upcoming Blu-ray release of The Amazing Spider-Man,and that includes ELEVEN deleted scenes. Will we finally get to see "The Untold Story"? Read on for details. Josh Wilding - 9/4/2012

You don't need me to once again rehash the same old story about how "The Untold Story" was missing from The Amazing Spider-Man. As has been pointed out numerous times, there were some major changes made to the film with several seemingly prominent scenes removed. Well, it appears as if the Blu-ray will rectify that as the The British Board of Film Classification have today classified the special features which will be contained on the disc and that includes over thirteen minutes of deleted scenes. Below is the full list.

• 00:13:05:07 RITE OF PASSAGE - THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN REBORN
• 00:15:17:13 FRIENDS AND ENEMIES - CASTING
• 00:11:22:02 SECOND SKINS - SPIDEY AND THE LIZARD
• 00:16:34:24 SPIDEY GOES WEST - PRODUCTION - LOS ANGELES
• 00:15:25:15 SAFE HAVEN - PRODUCTION - SONY STUDIOS
• 00:09:30:13 BRIGHT TIGHT BIG CITY - PRODUCTION - NEW YORK
• 00:28:48:12 THE GREATEST RESPONSIBILITY - POST - PRODUCTION AND RELEASE
• 00:03:51:07 (SCENE 66-74: A DIFFERENT FATE) (DELETED SCENE)
• 00:01:44:24 (SCENE 76A: CONNOR'S CONDOLENCES) (DELETED SCENE)
• 00:00:55:18 (SCENE 141E: TRACKING CONNORS) (DELETED SCENE)
• 00:00:29:14 (SCENE 141FA: HACKING CONNORS) (DELETED SCENE)
• 00:00:42:02 (SCENE 161 - 161A: TOP TO BOTTOM PART 1) (DELETED SCENE)
• 00:01:41:08 (SCENE 162A: GOING AWAY) (DELETED SCENE)
• 00:01:19:07 (SCENE 163A: TOP TO BOTTOM PART 2) (DELETED SCENE)
• 00:00:47:23 (SCENE 164-165: BAD LIZARD) (DELETED SCENE)
• 00:00:48:03 (SCENE 176: HELP ME) (DELETED SCENE)
• 00:03:20:12 (SCENE 181: ALL THE POWER YOU FEEL) (DELETED SCENE)
• 00:00:39:05 (SCENE 232: LOST SOMETHING) (DELETED SCENE)
• 00:01:31:18 (REVISED OPENING SEQUENCE) (PRE-VISUALISATION)
• 00:02:17:09 (SPIDER ROOM) (PRE-VISUALISATION)
• 00:00:34:20 (SUBWAY ANIMATIC) (PRE-VISUALISATION)
• 00:03:02:21 (BIRTH OF SPIDER-MAN ANIMATIC) (PRE-VISUALISATION)
• 00:00:52:12 (HANDSTAND) (PRE-VISUALISATION)
• 00:00:47:21 (ROOFTOP POV) (PRE-VISUALISATION)
• 00:01:19:04 (OVERPASS) (PRE-VISUALISATION)
• 00:04:43:06 (BRIDGE) (PRE-VISUALISATION)
• 00:00:20:11 (LOVE SWING) (PRE-VISUALISATION)
• 00:02:11:04 (LIZARD SEWER REVEAL) (PRE-VISUALISATION)
• 00:05:14:21 (HIGH SCHOOL) (PRE-VISUALISATION)
• 00:01:18:17 (LIZARD AMBUSH) (PRE-VISUALISATION)
• 00:02:12:19 (STANDOFF) (PRE-VISUALISATION)
• 00:03:57:24 (CRANE) (PRE-VISUALISATION)
• 00:02:54:23 (OSCORP LAB) (PRE-VISUALISATION)
• 00:05:09:00 (OSCORP FINALE) (PRE-VISUALISATION)
• 00:01:21:17 (STUNT REHEARSALS - SUBWAY)
• 00:01:25:07 (STUNT REHEARSALS - TESTING POWERS)
• 00:02:04:18 (STUNT REHEARSALS - ALLEY FIGHT)
• 00:01:40:15 (STUNT REHEARSALS - ESCAPE UNDER BRIDGE)
• 00:00:34:07 (STUNT REHEARSALS - SEWER FIGHT)
• 00:02:11:16 (STUNT REHEARSALS - SPIDEY VS. LIZARD)
• 00:00:45:08 (STUNT REHEARSALS - LIZARD ATTACKS SWAT)
• 00:01:24:19 (STUNT REHEARSALS - SWAT ATTACKS SPIDEY)
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next