Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's Official *There Be Spoilers Here*

+2
thecolorsblend
Apologist Puncher
6 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

It's Official *There Be Spoilers Here* - Page 3 Empty Re: It's Official *There Be Spoilers Here*

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:49 am

Rduce wrote:I find myself totally dumbfounded that a these pee-heads cannot grasp the concept that Superman is fantasy and should be left in his own world! I have yet to see any hue and cry for Frodo Baggins to put on sandals or Gollum to put on pants, because that’s how we do it in modern times!

Why is so hard for them to accept Middle Earth as it’s own Universe and Superman’s Earth as its own one too?
I think it comes down to insecurity. A lot of fans even often have trouble in believing in the source material. Comics fans tend to have some really messed up self-esteem issues when it comes to their preferred medium. I have no idea why because comics can do things neither movies, TV or prose novels can accomplish (of course the other formats have their strengths too).

It is not logical, Captain.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

It's Official *There Be Spoilers Here* - Page 3 Empty Re: It's Official *There Be Spoilers Here*

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:28 pm

non_amos wrote:It's Official *There Be Spoilers Here* - Page 3 Superh10

Instantly looks better with the trunks, no? But instead, the real Cavill suit looks more like Ultraman:
First, I can't believe nobody has responded to this yet (including me).

Second, I find it SHOCKING that an Apologist is responsible for this manip. Then again, you know as well as I do that it's probably a fluke. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Third, that aside, yes, it INSTANTLY looks 110% better when you throw in the trunks. The Suit was designed for the trunks to be present. They're a crucial (though under-appreciated) design element. You take the trunks out of the equation and the outfit looks off balance.

Fourth, this manip is all the proof anybody should need that the crew needs to add in a pair of trunks for shooting beginning now and then either reshoot existing scenes with trunks or add them in during post. I maintain that the MOS outfit is otherwise great (based on the pics we've seen up to now) but the missing trunks is a HUGE loss.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:57 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:
Fourth, this manip is all the proof anybody should need that the crew needs to add in a pair of trunks for shooting beginning now and then either reshoot existing scenes with trunks or add them in during post. I maintain that the MOS outfit is otherwise great (based on the pics we've seen up to now) but the missing trunks is a HUGE loss.

Ahem, allow me to quote myself:

Apologist Puncher wrote:
I was thinking today that maybe the reason the trunks aren't on the suit NOW, is that maybe Snyder doesn't like the way they PHYSICALLY look. I think he is going to film it, and then in post add them back in so they look a little more "sleek" than Chris Reeve's suit, and not so retardingly "Speedo" as BJ Routh. Without actual physical trunks, they can play around with the length and design, without spending money and man hours on actually MAKING THEM.

Think about it.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:00 am

Well since someone did a manip of one of those photos I might as well do a manip of the other and see how that one turn out...

It's Official *There Be Spoilers Here* - Page 3 31592010

Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:12 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:Well since someone did a manip of one of those photos I might as well do a manip of the other and see how that one turn out...

It's Official *There Be Spoilers Here* - Page 3 31592010

Actually the same person I believe did do a manip of the same pic you posted. The reason that I didn't post it is because it looked like crap, at least in comparison to the pic I did post. It had a fake-looking quality to it & just didn't look good. To be fair though your manip does look better than the one I rejected.

This might be a good place to post how I feel about 'updating' Superman as you say. What should they have done? First & foremost, they should've gone with the classic design. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Now, that doesn't necessarily mean that you can't improve upon the basic suit like Christopher Reeve wore. What they ought to have done is kept the basic design, trunks, yellow shield on cape, the whole 9 yards. If they want it to look better than what Reeve wore (for modern audiences of course), then my suggestion would've been to make the suit out of superior materials, i.e., better quality cloth that still enhances Cavill's physique, maybe enhanced colors to the suit so that it looks good on camera. What I'm suggesting here is don't screw with the basic design but instead take the basic design & bring it to life! So instead of some apologist thinking that whoever is playing Superman looks like he's wearing pajamas, instead they cry, "THAT'S SUPERMAN!"

So superior materials then. No leather, no pleather, no rubber-suit & certainly NO ARMOR! As for the basic design, I can live with the Earth-2 S shield if that is a 'non-negotiable'. Think about it. It's 'retro' enough without being an homage to Donnerverse. It's also not really been done in film until now so in a sense it's new. It's different from what we're used to in the films yet at the same time, it screams SUPERMAN! And let's not forget, there is precedence for it in the comics. I can live with this version of the shield & it also helps to 'set apart' this film from those that have gone before. I could also live with an ALEX ROSS type of shield. Just slap the trunks back on & the yellow shield on the cape & we're in business!

Bottom line? Superior 'image' of the Suit on the big screen without really changing the formula. But that's not what WB is doing in the film (unless they edit in post) & it's certainly not what DC is doing in the comics. They are trying to re-invent the wheel! Mad
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:43 pm

Totally the design of the suit doesn't need to change. Its all about the materials to make the suit today compared to back in the 70s and all that. There is so many different types of materials today to make costumes out of they didn't have back then.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:07 pm

Let me add this also. If for whatever reason they don't add the trunks back, not even in post, then I think they're making a serious mistake for more reasons than one. It goes beyond simply us fanboys not liking that. Remember that pic I posted comparing Cavill's suit to ULTRAMAN? Well, I've noticed a reason they need to use the trunks besides just tradition. See if you can find it:

It's Official *There Be Spoilers Here* - Page 3 Superu11

See what I mean? It appears to be showing Cavill's 'junk'. Snyder, want a repeat of 'the big blue dong'? Remember, this is supposed to be a family-oriented film. Keep going this route & see what happens! Personally I believe the trunks would take care of this problem. And what's up with that 'V' shape on Cavill's abdomen?! What's that supposed to be?!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:58 pm

The v cut is probably due to why his abs are cut. Ap or others probably would be better to ask there.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Rduce Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:33 pm

I do not really know if this has been suggested or asked, but what might be the chance that this is not his everyday suit? Perhaps, since he knows he is going up against some folks from his old home world, it is some sort of armor he is wearing?

Rduce

User Reputation : -17

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:54 pm

Rduce wrote:I do not really know if this has been suggested or asked, but what might be the chance that this is not his everyday suit? Perhaps, since he knows he is going up against some folks from his old home world, it is some sort of armor he is wearing?
I think that could be a charitable and optimistic viewpoint for you to take... but it seems plausible enough.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:19 pm

non_amos wrote:
See what I mean? It appears to be showing Cavill's 'junk'. Snyder, want a repeat of 'the big blue dong'? Remember, this is supposed to be a family-oriented film. Keep going this route & see what happens! Personally I believe the trunks would take care of this problem. And what's up with that 'V' shape on Cavill's abdomen?! What's that supposed to be?!

This is just bolstering my belief that the trunks will be added in post. I have a feeling Snyder wants the trunks to look like they are PART OF THE SUIT.

And I don't think he has forgotten the reaction to the "BBD" in 'Watchmen'.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:50 am

I wonder if Snyder has been working out with Cavill like he did with the guys from '300'?:

It's Official *There Be Spoilers Here* - Page 3 34088627606833240661710
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3