Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC

+4
superman1938
webhead2006
thecolorsblend
Apologist Puncher
8 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 10 Empty Re: Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:38 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:I dunno. Cover price? I give up. How much?

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 10 Nothing3
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 10 Empty Re: Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:51 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 10 Nothing3
Did you shoplift it or something?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:52 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:
Apologist Puncher wrote:

Did you shoplift it or something?

Or something......
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:45 pm

Video URL- http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/video/dc-comics-starts-14413568

This is a general DCnU thing but the substance of my remarks are Superman related. I'd have embedded the video here but they didn't seem to have appropriate code for doing so. So hmm.

I like Jim Lee. I think he's a decent (though slightly overrated) artist. But I've always thought his real strength was his business acumen. When Image was first starting up, it became clear that Jim Lee was going to be their official spokesman. He knew when to talk, when to shut up, when to make a promise, when to hedge his bets and play it safe, etc. This isn't an issue of competence or personal intelligence so much as it is understanding how business works.

In relation to that, he (intentionally or not) took "credit" for deleting Superman's trunks. But, and here's the issue, I've seen a few comics pros use... well, other, slightly more pejorative names.

Jim? He calls them "Superman's red trunks". There's at least the pretense of respect for the character there. He said the basic characterization (for all the characters) will be fundamentally the same. The issue is that it's the continuity (in some cases) and the aesthetics (in some cases) that have gone under the knife.

There's a shiny happy corporate feeling underneath it all that gives a sense of sincerity to the proceedings. I still think it's fundamentally a mistake to change Superman's outfit even to the extent that they have because it's endured for 73 FREAKING YEARS for a REASON. But, at the very least, they didn't openly look down their noses at that which has come before.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:18 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:There's a shiny happy corporate feeling underneath it all that gives a sense of sincerity to the proceedings. I still think it's fundamentally a mistake to change Superman's outfit even to the extent that they have because it's endured for 73 FREAKING YEARS for a REASON. But, at the very least, they didn't openly look down their noses at that which has come before.

If so, explain the page I pasted where they refer to them as "underwear"?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:22 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:There's a shiny happy corporate feeling underneath it all that gives a sense of sincerity to the proceedings. I still think it's fundamentally a mistake to change Superman's outfit even to the extent that they have because it's endured for 73 FREAKING YEARS for a REASON. But, at the very least, they didn't openly look down their noses at that which has come before.

If so, explain the page I pasted where they refer to them as "underwear"?
My comment was specifically about the video interview. I can't and won't defend them in other place they open their mouths.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:15 am

Read Swamp Thing #1 a while ago. Superman has a cameo in it. *sigh* The dialogue makes it pretty clear that this is a Superman who died and came back at some point or another. Doomsday as a storyline now makes less sense than ever.

When Superman died, Clark was engaged to Lois and she knew his identity. To my knowledge, their marriage has been (and, I presume, engagement and general relationship) deleted from current continuity.

After Superman died, Jonathan had a near death experience, found Clark and brought him back. To my knowledge, the Kents are dead and gone before he makes his debut as Superman in Action Comics #1.

It comes down to mechanics of storytelling. Obviously The Powers That Be want the Cyborg-Superman, Steel and Connor-Superboy in continuity. Therefore, you sort of have to keep Doomsday/Funeral For A Friend/Reign of the Supermen (they can call the trades whatever the fuck they want; I go by comic book titles).

*sigh* Like always, reboot or don't reboot. But this halfway shit of introducing massive fucking retcons HAS GOT TO FUCKING STOP. I can't make it any simpler than that.

EDIT- I should add that this is an ironic fate for the Doomsday/Funeral For A Friend/Reign of the Supermen stuff as those stories mostly relied on air-tight, friggin PERFECT continuity. Sad to see them get this kind of treatment.

As to what else from the previous continuity that's been cannibalized, I have no idea.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Rduce Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:42 am

Sadly, this is how the world is shaping up these days. You get some punk PR dickhead in who MUST justify his position and convinces the brain trust that you need a modern perspective. You need to get with the times. The MDA did it this year with Jerry Lewis and their telethon. They say, “Look we made 61 million this year, without Jerry and only having it on for only 6 hours instead of 22. Well, yea, but 90% of those monies were already in place before you dumped Lewis 2 weeks ago asshole, the real test comes next year!

Same thing with DC/WB, they have been made to believe that their product MUST be relevant to modern America. They are told “The next Comic Book Generation” thinks the “underpants” are silly and lame, so they MUST go. Point if fact those that do feel this way are not buying their comics now or it is very unlikely they will in the future.

The HACKS who claim to have their fingers on the pulse of society are just as prone do A.D.D. as are the imbeciles they claim to denote. Continuity is outdated, because very few of those growing up can keep anything in their heads past 7 seconds! Our public schools are the product of the emerging future of the “America Way”, where they fail to teach spelling or grammar and award failure with reward. This is why when these freshly taught morons hit the streets, with their warming feelings of entitlements, they FAIL!

In this era of money being the bottom line, DC/WB with continually screw around with all their characters trying to find that one little hook that will latch on for however long it lasts and they do not care if they take the whole ship down with them, just to say they gained 2 new readers, all the while loosing those who have become so frustrated with the process they have given up.

Rduce

User Reputation : -17

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:06 pm

I guess the swamp thing writer didn't get the dcnu memo.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:08 pm

Rduce wrote:Sadly, this is how the world is shaping up these days. You get some punk PR dickhead in who MUST justify his position and convinces the brain trust that you need a modern perspective. You need to get with the times. The MDA did it this year with Jerry Lewis and their telethon. They say, “Look we made 61 million this year, without Jerry and only having it on for only 6 hours instead of 22. Well, yea, but 90% of those monies were already in place before you dumped Lewis 2 weeks ago asshole, the real test comes next year!

Same thing with DC/WB, they have been made to believe that their product MUST be relevant to modern America. They are told “The next Comic Book Generation” thinks the “underpants” are silly and lame, so they MUST go. Point if fact those that do feel this way are not buying their comics now or it is very unlikely they will in the future.

The HACKS who claim to have their fingers on the pulse of society are just as prone do A.D.D. as are the imbeciles they claim to denote. Continuity is outdated, because very few of those growing up can keep anything in their heads past 7 seconds! Our public schools are the product of the emerging future of the “America Way”, where they fail to teach spelling or grammar and award failure with reward. This is why when these freshly taught morons hit the streets, with their warming feelings of entitlements, they FAIL!
Back before the economy tanked, a lot of corporations were sending their high end college graduates for remedial English lessons because the nitwits couldn't type a fucking memo.

These days though, I think they were all laid off a long time ago.

In this era of money being the bottom line, DC/WB with continually screw around with all their characters trying to find that one little hook that will latch on for however long it lasts and they do not care if they take the whole ship down with them, just to say they gained 2 new readers, all the while loosing those who have become so frustrated with the process they have given up.
No question. The one reason I don't predict the death of comics in the next five years is because of all the money Disney paid for Marvel. You don't drop that kind of cash unless you're dead serious about your investment. Disney simply won't let Marvel fail, which is going to have a trickle down effect for DC and probably other publishers too.

But sooner or later, the medium will die and I'd better not hear fucking Dan DiDio wondering aloud what went wrong.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:27 pm

Newsarama wrote:George Perez Off SUPERMAN Writing Duties as of Issue #7
By Albert Ching, Newsarama Staff Writer
posted: 30 September 2011 02:05 pm ET

George Pérez is off as writer and breakdown artist of Superman, Newsarama has learned.

The new creative team as of Superman #7 will be writer Keith Giffen and Dan Jurgens on layouts and/or pencils. Pérez may remain on the title as finisher/inker.

Pérez, a comic book industry veteran, had been doing Superman double-duty, both writing the book and handling breakdowns and covers. Jesus Merino provided finished art. Superman #1 debuted in comic shops this week.

This is the second of DC's The New 52 titles that Giffen has taken over as writer. Last week, he was announced as replacing J.T. Krul on Green Arrow as of December's #4, a book which also includes Pérez and Jurgens on the creative team. This is the third DC New 52 creative team change as of this point — earlier this month, John Rozum stepped down as co-writer of Static Shock.

DC Comics declined comment Friday afternoon.

URL- http://www.newsarama.com/comics/george-perez-off-superman-110930.html

I can't see the creative shake-ups there have been as a good thing. This is supposed to be what sets the tone for DC for the next several years (or decades) and that takes stability. The only way to get there is with reliable creative talent. To my understanding, most writers sign one year/12-issue contracts nowadays.

That said, I like the Giffen work I've read over the years (not that there's been much but whatever). As far as Dan Jurgens is concerned... well, either you respect Dan Jurgens or you're a dipshit; not too much in between.

Very interesting.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:04 pm

Well that sucks perez will be off the title after a short stint.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:20 am

webhead2006 wrote:Well that sucks perez will be off the title after a short stint.
No kidding. Looking back on his interrupted work on Action Comics back in the early 90's and I wonder that he just wasn't meant to have a prolonged run on Superman.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:22 am

probably so, maybe he could return to the title later?
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:10 pm

webhead2006 wrote:probably so, maybe he could return to the title later?
Gotta wonder. (A) The guy's not getting any younger and (B) my perception is that he's leaving the title early. That might indicate static with editorial. Creative differences. Call it whatever you want. Can't imagine he'll come back any time soon under those circumstances. And the only way to persuade the guy is probably to give him the writing gig again since DCnU has really been characterized by pencillers taking on writing chores (Perez, Tony Daniel, Francis Manapul, Ethan Van Sciver, etc) so I wonder that it might not be quite so easy to do.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:18 pm

Read Superman #1. Man. The writing was good, the art was solid and overall I really dig this direction for the character. But for the, um, THING Superman wears in the self-titled book, I'd be completely onboard with the DCnU Super-titles. But, as has been discussed, the new design is too busy, too many seams, too much bullshit detail on the boots, completely unnecessary redesign in the first place, so on and so forth.

But one thing that I thought was really funny was
Spoiler:
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:56 pm

As ever, the commenters over at the Eunuch page make a practice of completely missing the point. The original news item here is that George Perez and Jesus Merino will be leaving Superman. In response, some Apologist hoser wrote...

some Apologist hoser wrote:#17 | BaronSunday on October 1, 2011 10:08am EST
Yes! YES! YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! Love Dan Jurgens and that first issue practically put me to sleep with box after box after box of text. This is the best Superman-related news I've gotten in years

URL- http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=10354#comments

In the first place, there was plenty of art, action and general spectacle in the first issue. Second, yeah, comics are a visual medium but God forbid you actually *READ* something! Besides, it's not like there was THAT much text to sift through... a goodly amount of that is exposition designed to establish the world in which Superman now exists.

Fucking idiots.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:49 pm

Thought I posted about it here but I guess not. Anyway. One thing that I personally found distracting in Superman #1 was the seemingly endless references Perez made to his con buddies/family. Maybe that stuff would go by a non-facebook friend of George's but a lot of that stuff jumped out at me right away. You could even see their likenesses in certain characters. George himself seems to have been the model for Morgan Edge. In one panel, Lois is unmistakably drawn to resemble a well-known cosplayer (and friend of George). Several names popped up in the script too.

Anyway. Just throwing it out there.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10