Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC

+4
superman1938
webhead2006
thecolorsblend
Apologist Puncher
8 posters

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 6 Empty Re: Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:58 pm

webhead2006 wrote:Ya what's the point in this with some not changing.
It's to "protect" the titles that are really making money vs. the ones that "don't matter".

Well, sorry, but that ain't how it works. Rebooting everything but those things is just going to lead to more continuity problems. People can say whatever the hell they want about the post-Sucky Origin Superman, but the one thing NOBODY can argue is that the continuity made a single bit of sense. Case in point- without going into laborious detail, Sucky Origin made Alice White into a cougar. Sure, maybe it was unintentional but if we're to suppose that everything from the Byrne Age happened, you have to somehow account for Lex fathering an illegitimate son with Alice White.

Or here's a more recent example: if the Legion continuity isn't being rebooted, exactly who the hell did they help during the War of the Supermen/Last Stand of New Krypton stuff?

Now, I'm willing to cut DC some slack on the Superman stuff since the Siegel shit is obviously a factor here. That said, a mixed reboot approach is only going to cause more problems than it could ever solve.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 6 Empty Re: Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC

Post  non_amos Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:44 pm

Ya know what? It reminds me of the slogan that Stan Lee came up with 'back in the day' but in light of the garbage that DC is regurgitating, could it ever be more true?

MAKE MINE MARVEL!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:04 pm

non_amos wrote:Ya know what? It reminds me of the slogan that Stan Lee came up with 'back in the day' but in light of the garbage that DC is regurgitating, could it ever be more true?

MAKE MINE MARVEL!
Funny you should say that, I've been checking out my pull list and back issue purchases lately and can safely say I've never bought so much Marvel stuff before. But Marvel genuinely is the better company these days (and I'm a lifelong DC guy, btw).

Make Mine Marvel indeed.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:39 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:
Bleeding Cool wrote:Green Lantern, Batman and LSH books are all continuing without a reboot
sigh

Remember at the beginning of this thread, where I said DC was going to change it so Batman was a superhero BEFORE "Superman"?

Yep, Dan Dildo, you are a master of the obvious!
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:40 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:
Bleeding Cool wrote:Green Lantern, Batman and LSH books are all continuing without a reboot
sigh

Remember at the beginning of this thread, where I said DC was going to change it so Batman was a superhero BEFORE "Superman"?

Yep, Dan Dildo, you are a master of the obvious!

Yeah, what an insult to Superman's legacy. Nevermind the 70 year history these clowns are supposed to uphold.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:50 pm

Father Finian wrote:Yeah, what an insult to Superman's legacy. Nevermind the 70 year history these clowns are supposed to uphold.

When you have guys like Dan Dildo and Geoff "Bryan Singer-Lite" Johns calling the shots, respecting things bigger than they are will NEVER be an issue.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:02 am

Could DC bomb even before it gets started?!:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=9946#comments

June 24, 2011: Can DC Comics Relaunch On Schedule This September?
Action Comics #1 The DC Universe relaunch this September will start 52 brand new titles with #1 issues. The company hopes to engage new readers with this massive event, but they may have bitten off more than they can chew.

According to an insider, DC should have started working on this relaunch at least two months earlier than they actually did. Scripts are still being written and pages still being drawn. Normally for an event of this scope, more should be completed ahead of time. So even if DC manages to defeat the odds and release all 52 #1 issues in September, readers can most likely expect delays as early as October.

So what does this mean for DC and the relaunch? Only time will tell.

· Steve Younis on June 24, 2011 8:15pm EST· 8 Comments

Stupid is as stupid does?! Dumb & dumberer?! lol!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:29 am

Oh well bad move dc. But isn't the first time either dc/marvel delayed things or what not. But I agree with article comments with how many teams/books they are on they should have limited how many books where coming. And/pr do things in waves. Like do it in three waves of 15 or so books between like three months.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:38 pm

This would seem to indicate the Siegel Parasite lawsuit figures in to at least the Superman component more than anyone has been letting on. If so, given the setbacks that have gone on, I'm really starting to wonder that DC will make a LOT of changes to Superman and his origin so as not to conflict with the lawsuit's various rulings.

The weird thing though is that Jim Lee reported that he'd been working on the JLA designs for quite a while. Something like in excess of two years. He apparently proved it by showing some really old sketches from back then. Granted, there's a huge difference between working on some sketches and developing a few new costume designs and actually producing pages for a monthly comic but still you'd think the dude would have a little more to show for himself than these new rumors are letting on.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:15 pm

Probably so colors. This is another reason I haate all the legal stuff can effect so much. The only hope is that what ever changes are made are just for wrost cast deal if dc/wb looses more rights. To have a superman still. But if things do resolve then what ever changes could be dropped back for norm. But this just blows totally for superman as a character.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:18 pm

I read somewhere that DC has been telling comic book shop retailers that if the numbers for the books aren't what they want, they will have "No hesitation in cancelling the book no matter who it is". Translation:

You don't swallow the shit we are shoveling and you can kiss Superman goodbye. And it will be ALL YOUR FAULT.

This is what DC Comics has come to folks.

Be sure to send your thank you notes and letters to one Dan Dildo, Senior Vice President & Executive Editor.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:37 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:I read somewhere that DC has been telling comic book shop retailers that if the numbers for the books aren't what they want, they will have "No hesitation in cancelling the book no matter who it is". Translation:

You don't swallow the shit we are shoveling and you can kiss Superman goodbye. And it will be ALL YOUR FAULT.
Hmm. What follows is complete speculation but what if DC is completely rejiggering Superman for the express purpose of killing sales and thus forcing the book's cancellation?

They may be able to use that in court somehow. Damaging the brand and all that.

But they may also use it as leverage to force a settlement. "You want to know how picky the market is? We TRIED launching an alternate Superman. The result? EPIC FAILURE! If you think you can bring a completely different Superman to market (which is what a Siegelfied Superman amounts to, whether anybody wants to admit or not), you're all out of your fucking minds. You guys need us and we need you. Come to the table, we'll figure something out and we can get Toberoff out of the picture entirely."

Of course, this all requires the people at DC to be smart, forward-thinking, cold, calculating sons of bitches and also for the Siegel Parasites to have the halfway competent business sense that dear old Jerry didn't. So, at best, this is a long shot even if I'm right.

Be sure to send your thank you notes and letters to one Dan Dildo, Senior Vice President & Executive Editor.
I will never be the man's #1 fan. There's just too much bad blood at this point. But, not to excuse DC from any of their poor decisions in recent years, I'm not entirely sure we can blame all Superman's troubles lately on Dan or DC. That lawsuit is one hell of a mitigating factor.

EDIT- To clarify, let me say that the lawsuit isn't responsible for the New Krypton/Last Stand of New Krypton/War of the Supermen shit. The lawsuit had nothing to do with JMS's apparent fondest ambition of telling a boring and utterly pointless story in Grounded. The Siegels cannot be blamed for some fans (over)reacting to Earth One's "post-Twilight" marketing. On and on and on. I don't want to let DC off the hook for those things but at the same rate the lawsuit has got to be a factor in all this.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:19 pm

Ah, here it is:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/24/no-such-word-as-superhero-dcs-retailer-roadshow-hits-baltimore-collectors-cornered-2/

They collectively stated the titles would be give more or less a year to perform and would be canned according to sales if need be, and creators were being held responsible for meeting deadlines more so than ever before, that changes will be made in a quicker fashion and that they were committed to this initiative and not planning to go back on it or have back up, that they were committed along with the marketing portion of this to being new and lapsed readers in, using charts and going through 30-40 minutes of sales and marketing which would be a bit of a bore to go into specifics, but their was areal focus on bringing people into stores with all ads online, banner, social networking, movie and co-op, TV and Movie Theater and other programs being rolled out like Midnight Parties for certain books, chances for stores to get big names in for signing and a lot more.

Boy, talk about a run-on sentence.....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:53 pm

Interesting find there ap, looks like dc is in the craphole.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:01 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Ah, here it is:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/06/24/no-such-word-as-superhero-dcs-retailer-roadshow-hits-baltimore-collectors-cornered-2/

They collectively stated the titles would be give more or less a year to perform and would be canned according to sales if need be, and creators were being held responsible for meeting deadlines more so than ever before, that changes will be made in a quicker fashion and that they were committed to this initiative and not planning to go back on it or have back up, that they were committed along with the marketing portion of this to being new and lapsed readers in, using charts and going through 30-40 minutes of sales and marketing which would be a bit of a bore to go into specifics, but their was areal focus on bringing people into stores with all ads online, banner, social networking, movie and co-op, TV and Movie Theater and other programs being rolled out like Midnight Parties for certain books, chances for stores to get big names in for signing and a lot more.

Boy, talk about a run-on sentence.....
Yep.

Frankly, I think the entire line would benefit from stream lining. Sure, that's arguably being done now (they're producing more than 52 titles at present) but the real issue here is the insane fucking number of Green Lantern and Batman titles on the way. You delete two or three of each and you free up consumer income to spend on other titles. Esp at these cover prices, we've all only got so much money to go around. I feel like I'm going out on a limb enough in picking the LOSH books, the two Superman books, one Batman book and the new Aquaman book. If you don't follow all the GL titles, you may as well not follow any of them. Well, with that many titles in the family, it's not worth it to me to even bother. Otherwise, shit, I just might've given GL a shot!

DC ought to set a limit and be hard-nosed about it. No more than two titles (discounting teams) per character. So you have Batman fucking Almighty starring in two books, plus JLA as the third. Ditto GL and Superman. The DCU line will still be big but it won't be unwieldly. It will, however, have focus and discipline.

Also, artists today tend to put a lot of extra detail on the page vs. 15 or 20 years ago. Go back and pick up those 90's titles. Yeah, the art might be great but it's usually not ridiculously detailed. That level of detail takes time. It's worth it to the penciller though because then he can turn around and sell the original artwork at conventions and essentially double dip on his work (which I've got no beef with; we all have to work for a living here). However, putting that type of detail in there takes forever and the only way to keep a modern penciller up to speed is to give him a big lead time so that when Issue #1 hits, he's already finishing up Issue #4.

Of course, that would require planning this shit out pretty far in advance and that obviously isn't happening too much here.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:19 am

DC Comics and Dan Dildo's new corporate mantra revealed!!!

Spoiler:
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:59 am

I guess that Batman will be the 'oldest' superhero then. A quote from that bleedingcool link:

Batman : As Urban legend, has been around a little longer than Superman coming out to the world.

DC, YOU SUCK! Mad
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:18 am

hmm I thought other things said supermman was still the first one. Isn't that what the solications for superman or action comics said?
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:57 pm

Over on the Eunuch page, there's a story up where Eunuch seemingly tries to take credit for the "work on the DCnU only just started so several books intended for September may be delayed" spiel. I say that because I'm 99% sure the story surfaced on either Newsarama or Bleeding Cool but the motherfucker didn't link back to the original article.

In any case, and like always, the comments are full of golden nuggets. Take this gem...

[quote"Douchebag Apologist asshole"]#9 | borikua on June 25, 2011 1:43am EST
FYI, for all of those people that are bashing DC comics and jumping ship to Marvel (So many have stated this...its actually appaling), Marvel has announced they will be rebooting "Uncanny X-Men" to Uncanny X-Men #1 and rebooting "Wolverine" to "Wolverine and the X-men"....just thought youd like to know.

URL- http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=9946#comments

[/quote]

Now, it's probably not news to any of you that there are a lot of stupid bastards out there. And it's most assuredly not news that a high concentration of them are drawn to the Eunuch page like a bug to a light bulb. Like "minds", I guess, are attracted to one another. Puts a whole new spin on "hive mentality", eh?

Anyway. Clearly this nitwit doesn't understand a lot of basic realities of the comic book world. But since I do, permit to break it all down.

01- Reboot. This is what you call it when all previous continuity is washed away. John Byrne's MOS miniseries from the 80's did just this and, although George Perez reinstated maybe a handful of Pre-Crisis JLA stories around the time of Action Comics #650, by and large Byrne's reboot was uniquely it's own thing and was not beholden to previous continuity. If this example is too familiar for some of you, the post-Zero Hour Legion of Super-Heroes utterly rebooted the team's continuity as well. Likewise, the Mark Waid/Barry Kitson Legion of Super-Heroes series from 2004 rebooted it again (and there is a good reason for all these reboots but we'll skip those for now).

02- Relaunch. For reasons I can't say I fully understand, "reboot" frequently gets confused with "relaunch". A relaunch, as the name may suggest, is simply starting the numbering of a new book over again. This could follow immediately after the ending of the old number (the original Daredevil and the Marvel Knights Daredevil) or it could take place years later (Adventure Comics). This doesn't necessarily change existing continuity. In fact, it frequently doesn't. It simply sets up a new numbering system. That's all.

03- Retcon. Although nobody has mentioned this specifically, it should be addressed anyway. A reboot wipes away all previous continuity. A retcon, by definition, attempts to modify that continuity in some way, often by introducing new elements to continuity as though they have been part of the storyline since the get-go. Birthright, for better or for worse, IS NOT a reboot. By definition of what DC tried to do with it, it's a retcon. It attempted to place the events of the Byrne Age into the context of the heavily modified Birthright origin. I think it Birthright is a success (mostly) as a Superman story unto itself; as the new foundation for the Byrne Age, it was an unmitigated failure. Retcons are a delicate thing and should be handled very carefully.

04- My point. All of this to say that, with few exceptions, Marvel primarily sticks to their continuity. They may find creative ways to write shit out of continuity but by and large they don't go in much for reboots. Love or hate One More Day, it's a fucking retcon, NOT A REBOOT. Trust me, I'm the last guy to defend OMD but a reboot completely resets continuity; OMD makes no bones about erasing ONE MAJOR FACTOR from continuity. To my knowledge, the only real change is that Peter and MJ aren't married anymore. The stories that took place when they were married are still "in continuity" in the sense that they still happened.

05- Jumping Ship. Anybody who thinks this isn't going on hasn't been spending much time in a comics shop. For DC, Infinite Crisis pissed a lot of people off. Final Crisis pissed even more off. By the time you get to Blackest Night, a lot of veteran DC readers were suffering from severe event fatigue. Plus, so many of their favorite characters had been mangled or outright disowned (Superman, Kyle Rayner, Wally West, arguably Bart Allen, etc) that core DC fans migrated over to Marvel as that universe seemed fresh and original.

The equivalent events from Marvel seem to be Civil War and One More Day. As a DC guy, I loved Civil War. Even though the changes it wrought seemed too innovative but destructive to be permanent, I admired the balls of telling that story.

As for One More Day... I mean, seriously, you've made up your mind about this story already. Do you REALLY need ME to tell you what a bad idea that was? An Apologist just might but I expect more from you guys. Those storylines (and possibly others) have caused long time Marvel fans to migrate over to DC, where they checked out stuff like the Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, Infinite Crisis and other storylines and really enjoyed them.

If nothing else, I can anecdotally attest to this phenomenon because I'M DOING IT MYSELF RIGHT NOW; I'm a lifelong DC man but I'm picking up more and more Marvel books all the time because it feels like DC doesn't give two shits about what I want as a fan of their universe.

The main point in this is that you should never take what an Apologist says at face value.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:51 pm

Ya that comment is so off. If I recalled the xmen this is happening is cause the one book is ending in a few months and this is just a new title book. Like for example spiderman is getting another ongoing monthly book.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:43 pm

non_amos wrote:I guess that Batman will be the 'oldest' superhero then. A quote from that bleedingcool link:

Batman : As Urban legend, has been around a little longer than Superman coming out to the world.

DC, YOU SUCK! Mad

Anyone here still want to counter me when I make a prediction?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:50 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Boy, talk about a run-on sentence.....

lol, yeah....bit of a mouthful.

Creativity and imagination be fucked. It's all about the mighty dollar.

Again, these clowns are responsible for PRESERVING the legacy they've been handed.......

I give up.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:07 am

Here's a new Converse ad, featuring that shitty costume:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=374799
Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 6 Superman-Batman085008a

One question though:

Why is the Superman on the shoe wearing the REAL costume??
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:13 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Here's a new Converse ad, featuring that shitty costume:

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=374799
Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 6 Superman-Batman085008a

One question though:

Why is the Superman on the shoe wearing the REAL costume??

I guess Converse has taste. I wish I could say the same for DC!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:54 am

That "S" has to be the most RETARDED version I have ever seen.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next