Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC

+4
superman1938
webhead2006
thecolorsblend
Apologist Puncher
8 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 7 Empty Re: Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC

Post  Father Finian Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:49 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:That "S" has to be the most RETARDED version I have ever seen.

Yep. What a mess.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 7 Empty Re: Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:42 pm

Father Finian wrote:Yep. What a mess.

One of the saddest parts of the whole mess is the fact that Jim Lee's costume is already dated.

And it hasn't even come out yet.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:42 am

Absolutely. You've raised another point, just imagine how even more dated this'll look in a few years. The long haired Superman was nothing by comparison!

I rewatched the "Captain America" promo short and was struck (again) by how they've clearly made a deliberate decision to capitalize on Cap's Stars & Stripes and Red, White & Blue. After all, that's what he is and they've embraced that and made it a selling point.

Look at poor old Superman, he's been virtually castrated in that area. DC shy away from the truth of the character seemingly to be "inoffensive". Gutless, pointless and wrong.

I sort of brought that up to wish my American mates here a HAPPY 4th of JULY!! Have a great one guys, and have a beer for me!

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:37 pm

Father Finian wrote:Absolutely. You've raised another point, just imagine how even more dated this'll look in a few years. The long haired Superman was nothing by comparison!
I've heard some folks call these things "90's designs". I think it's a fair assessment in some cases.

Ages ago, Wizard approached several prominent comic book artists to develop new Superman outfits. Jim Lee was one of 'em. You think the current design is bad? Yeesh, you should've seen what he wanted to do way back when. S-emblems on everything. EVERYTHING. Lee's attitude, as I recall, was something like "we live in a world of brand names and corporate iconography so why not play up this one?"

Not making excuses for the current outfit, just saying that at least he's changed his mind somewhat on this.

I sort of brought that up to wish my American mates here a HAPPY 4th of JULY!! Have a great one guys, and have a beer for me!
Thanks! Smile
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:13 am

man if you thought the relaunch redesign was bad for superman. Check out this design for the upcoming superman tie in character in the ongoing flashpoint event; It is from a storyline in the flashpoint book called project: Superman(all i know is it isnt clark kent superman but just some weird alternate superman) But man look at this design:
Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 7 358co0m
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:33 am

webhead2006 wrote:man if you thought the relaunch redesign was bad for superman. Check out this design for the upcoming superman tie in character in the ongoing flashpoint event; It is from a storyline in the flashpoint book called project: Superman(all i know is it isnt clark kent superman but just some weird alternate superman) But man look at this design:
Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 7 358co0m

Man! DC just as well go ahead & cut their wrists while their at it. Or their throat. You pick! Rolling Eyes
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:39 am

ya though like i did point out this isnt the real superman of the flashpoint world. from what i seen on wiki about the character its just some human army guy who was altered by the military to have powers and locked up. If the info i was reading is correct. But it is a terrible design.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:42 am

webhead2006 wrote:ya though like i did point out this isnt the real superman of the flashpoint world. from what i seen on wiki about the character its just some human army guy who was altered by the military to have powers and locked up. If the info i was reading is correct. But it is a terrible design.
For the purposes of the story, I don't see what's so bad about it. They obviously wanted to subtly evoke some minimal iconography of The Suit without actually making something too close to that design. The character there is more Adrien Brody than Christopher Reeve. The clear intent is to make something decidedly non-Superman'ish.

I don't see what the problem is this particular case.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:46 am

thecolorsblend wrote:
webhead2006 wrote:ya though like i did point out this isnt the real superman of the flashpoint world. from what i seen on wiki about the character its just some human army guy who was altered by the military to have powers and locked up. If the info i was reading is correct. But it is a terrible design.
For the purposes of the story, I don't see what's so bad about it. They obviously wanted to subtly evoke some minimal iconography of The Suit without actually making something too close to that design. The character there is more Adrien Brody than Christopher Reeve. The clear intent is to make something decidedly non-Superman'ish.

Maybe you have a point there in that case, i.e., for the purpose of storytelling, yeah, that could make sense I suppose, but the 'altered by the army' sounds like a ripoff of Captain America. Even so, I suppose my reaction is moreso the in general 'suckitude' approach that DC has been taking to the character as of late. Storytelling? Yeah, maybe. But DC's atrocious approach to Superman? Uh.....no. And I guess that was my initial reaction.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:49 am

I do see yojur point colors and from what I read on wiki of the story I can see it working. I was just pointing out the design look for this alternate superman.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:06 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:For the purposes of the story, I don't see what's so bad about it. They obviously wanted to subtly evoke some minimal iconography of The Suit without actually making something too close to that design. The character there is more Adrien Brody than Christopher Reeve. The clear intent is to make something decidedly non-Superman'ish.

The color of that retarded "S", and the fact that he has a spit-curl too is just too lame for my tastes.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:25 pm

"Flashpoint"? Looks more like "Deadshit"

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:27 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Ages ago, Wizard approached several prominent comic book artists to develop new Superman outfits. Jim Lee was one of 'em. You think the current design is bad? Yeesh, you should've seen what he wanted to do way back when. S-emblems on everything. EVERYTHING. Lee's attitude, as I recall, was something like "we live in a world of brand names and corporate iconography so why not play up this one?"

I would take THIS:
Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 7 JimLeeSupermanConcept

And it's superflous "S" symbols, over THIS hunk of ass any day of the week:
Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 7 Superman1

I find it funny that BOTH have high collars on them, and he did them at least 15 years apart.

Jim Lee ain't very original, is he?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:54 am

haha ya ap, though i do sorta like the way that old design cape attachment is, though it would look better on lower neckline. And god superman doesnt need gloves, and i agree way to many S shields on him there. Hey AP as you said above that wizard had a bunch of artists do superman designs yrs ago, do you have any links to other artists designs from then?
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:17 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:I would take THIS:
Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 7 JimLeeSupermanConcept

And it's superflous "S" symbols, over THIS hunk of ass any day of the week:
Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 7 Superman1

I find it funny that BOTH have high collars on them, and he did them at least 15 years apart.

Jim Lee ain't very original, is he?
I'm amazed you found that first redesign, actually.

Either way... why can't we just have the traditional version of The Suit? There was nothing wrong with it.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:51 pm

I too hope the suit will be classic looking. No need to be changed and really wouldn't be first time one media take isn't matching another. And I am sure any upcoming dtv will have superman in classic look.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:58 pm

the colorsblend wrote:

Either way... why can't we just have the traditional version of The Suit? There was nothing wrong with it.

I have a feeling we will have the classic suit for THE MAN OF STEEL. Not only did Snyder have Cavill screen test in a 'Reeve replica' & then say that Cavill was 'convincing' in the suit, but now we have 'Gen. SWANWICK' in the film too & if that ain't an 'homage', I don't know what is! I just hope we can have sequels though. Here's to hoping some '11th hour' resolution to all of the legal garbage!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:12 pm

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/10-stories-that-might-not-fit-in-the-dcnu-110708.html

It's really not worth it to paste a quick sample in here. Basically this story provides a good overview of what's at stake in all this. It's also an excellent case study in why soft reboots don't work. Either keep everything or else grow a pair and reboot everything; this partial reboot shit has a clear history of failure.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:38 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:I'm amazed you found that first redesign, actually.

It's because I'm amazing.

This goes without saying, doesn't it?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:04 pm

Wow, does that stupid costume SUCK, or what?

WeMakeALotOfShitUp.com

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 7 Fdsagvwsfgasdfdsf

Oh, and apparently Kryptonite doesn't affect "Superman" anymore. Yippee!
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:47 am

That's Kryptonite? I thought it was a light construct courtesy of GL.

Apart from that costume, I don't have too big a beef with it. (A) I'm sick of Batman kicking Superman's ass and (B) Superman is clearly more powerful than a GL ring (or at least Hal Jordan's will).
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:54 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:That's Kryptonite? I thought it was a light construct courtesy of GL.

It's stupid, whatever it is....

Apart from that costume, I don't have too big a beef with it. (A) I'm sick of Batman kicking Superman's ass and (B) Superman is clearly more powerful than a GL ring (or at least Hal Jordan's will).

Again, as I said before, comics are a visual-medium. Have a problem with the costume? Then that's a BIG FUCKING PROBLEM.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:43 am

NY Times wrote:Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 7 Action1b

Bird? plane? superdude!
Jeans, tee in new #1

Here's the cover to the first "Action Comics" No. 1 in 73 years -- and the latest version of Superman is part E.T., part Paul Bunyan and even a little Bruce Springsteen.

"This is a young Superman who still believes a better world for everyone is possible," said writer Grant Morrison, who'll be chronicling the Man of Steel's days as the world's first superhero when DC Comics relaunches its entire line of comics in September.

The Post got a sneak peek ahead of this week's San Diego Comic-Con.

While most of the titles, including "Batman" and "Green Lantern," will showcase DC's iconic heroes when they're well into their careers, "Action Comics" shows the earliest adventures of Superman, who's initially a bluejeans-and-T-shirt-wearing crimefighter with a small red cape.

"We felt it was time for the big adventures of a 21st-century Paul Bunyan who fights for the weak and downtrodden against bullies of all kinds, from robot invaders and crime lords to corrupt city officials," said Morrison, a former "X-Men" writer.

"The new look reflects his status as a street-level defender of the ordinary man and woman."

The series will show how Clark Kent becomes the world's foremost superhero and how he got his iconic costume, which has been tweaked in the new continuity -- meaning no more red briefs.

The original "Action Comics" No. 1 (inset), which featured the debut of Superman, is one of the world's most sought-after comics. A copy sold for $1.5 million last March.

Earlier this year, the series reached its 900th issue, which included a controversial story in which Superman declared he intended to renounce his US citizenship.

That storyline is effectively nullified by the relaunch.

URL- http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/bird_plane_superdude_jlvtSBaBiVw7cCUANvajFL

Maybe I of all people have no right to mention this but the "costume" in play here seems like it's part of SV's legacy. But the trouble is that it played on SV because Clark wasn't quite going public as Superman so he didn't need to wear The Suit. But the minute he operates openly, sorry, he needs to wear The Suit.

Something else is that Superman is the ONE DCU character who should get a free pass on the "public doesn't trust the new hero" bullshit. You could argue that for any number of other characters but Superman's inherent goodness should instantly win over the public. In real life, yeah, a guy with those powers would never be completely accepted. But it's Superman, it's part of the conceit of the character, it's not any harder to swallow this angle than it is the "glasses as a disguise" thing.

Anyway...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:13 am

LOL, I just posted very similar sentiments in another thread Colors. Funny about that.

"It's depressing, Superman being shot at by cops as he flies along dressed in T-shirt and jeans with a dinky little cape. Beyond ridiculous.

At least it makes virtually ANY criticism of Smallville now redundant." me

That picture is about as low as it goes for me. The street clothes and cape mixture is laughable.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:25 am

Just saw that image myself. I read it was an alternate cover that didn't get picked for action comics. But ya weird getup for supes. Only thijg nice about it is colors and it not that dam high collar crap suit. But still this early suit thing is not right either.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next