Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC

+4
superman1938
webhead2006
thecolorsblend
Apologist Puncher
8 posters

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 8 Empty Re: Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:50 pm

K-Site wrote:DC Lays Out The Facts About Their New Superman Comics Reboot

DC Comics has issued an official press release and confirmation of what to expect from the new DC Comics Superman reboot later this year.

The image to your left, which is the cover for the new Action Comics #1, has already brought on some debate and controversy.

Here’s what DC had to say, from their DC Nation blog.

He has been called the Man of Steel, the Last Son of Krypton and a strange visitor from a distant planet.

He is Superman, the Man of Tomorrow. As part of DC COMICS – THE NEW 52, this September will usher in a new Superman for the new century.

In the pages of ACTION COMICS, writer Grant Morrison and artist Rags Morales will present humanity’s first encounters with Superman, before he became one of the World’s Greatest Super Heroes. Set a few years in the past, it’s a bold new take on a classic hero.

* This Superman is very much an alien, one struggling to adjust to his adopted home. In the series, he must come to terms with both the loss of his home world, as well as the loss of both of his adopted parents. He is more Kal-El from the planet Krypton than Clark Kent from Kansas. He’s a loner trying to find his place in the world.

* The series’ first storyline will explore the origins of Superman’s costume, as it evolves from a look that includes jeans and work boots to a new look: a suit of battle armor that pays tribute to his Kryptonian past.

* His great powers have limits. When the series begins, Superman can leap tall buildings, but his ability to fly is in its infancy.

And in the SUPERMAN ongoing comic book series, by writer George Perez and artist Jesus Merino, will be set in present day continuity and will unleash a series of new challenges for Superman and his alter ego Clark Kent.

* Clark Kent is single and living on his own. He has never been married.

* Lois Lane is dating a colleague at the DAILY PLANET (and his name isn’t Clark Kent) and she has a new position with the paper.

Timeless and modern, classic and contemporary, but younger, brasher and more brooding, this is Superman. The New Man of Tomorrow.

ACTION COMICS issue 1 goes on sale on September 7 and SUPERMAN issue 1 goes on sale September 28.

URL- http://www.kryptonsite.com/manofsteelnews/1148/dc-lays-out-the-facts-about-their-new-superman-comics-reboot/

Well, I've long been a proponent of killing both Kents or killing neither. Killing just Jonathan was something Richard Donner pulled out of his ass for STM. Good to see that restored to continuity.

As to the rest... I see potential in the "powers in their infancy" bit for an early days story but the "brooding" shit concerns me. I'd expected more of Grant Morrison, tbh.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 8 Empty Re: Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:33 pm

I just saw the details for the book. Sucks to see both kents will bite it here. Nice move on powers growing in time. But I wonder how his adittude will be. Also what's up with lois. Also I don't like that they said his new design suit is armor. Why oh why does he need armor. Also wonder what will be in between suit mention.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:04 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:...

Well, I've long been a proponent of killing both Kents or killing neither. Killing just Jonathan was something Richard Donner pulled out of his ass for STM. Good to see that restored to continuity.

As to the rest... I see potential in the "powers in their infancy" bit for an early days story but the "brooding" shit concerns me. I'd expected more of Grant Morrison, tbh.
I'm coming back to this. I think the main reason I'm willing to remain onboard with this is partly because of the talent involved (Grant Morrison + Rags Morales; George Perez + Jesus Merino) but mostly because part of me doesn't really give a shit anymore.

I mean, yeah, I love the character and I love comics but I don't have the same investment in Superman comics that I once did. Back in 2004, this would've sent me off the deep end but now? I'm willing to give it a shot because DC long ago killed the ZEAL I had for Superman. The Byrne Age was an amazing period for Superman for the most part and going from that to the Geoff Johns + Gary Frankenstein Sucky Origin crap is what killed the investment I once had.

Now? If the comics are great, I'll enjoy them. If the suck, I'll stop buying (again). But either way, I've got no emotional attachment to this even though some of this stuff sounds really good as far as reboots go (deceased Kents, no more marriage, early days Superman, etc).
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:49 pm

I am just going to avoid this thread, and topic in general. It's just not worth it to see what they are doing to a character I have been fond of for 30+ years now.

Those of you who are going to buy into this shit, don't be surprised when Superman in comic form is dead. Permanently.

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 8 AidsSuperman
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:56 pm

I will stick to my marvel pulls for sure.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:34 am

webhead2006 wrote:I will stick to my marvel pulls for sure.
But for the Legion of Super-Heroes (for now), I'd be mostly a Marvel reader. I think DC has better characters but Marvel at least knows wtf they're doing in telling stories (which is the bigger issue, in my opinion).
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:56 am

All sad but true

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:20 pm

Actually, I think I'll pop in here from time to time to drop "nuggets" like this:
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/07/19/amazing-spider-man-trailer-twitter/

@MarkWaid That's not a knock on the reboot. I trust Grant. But every time I hear the words, "Superman needs to be more relatable," I lose my mind.
-Mark Waid, Writer ("Kingdom Come," "The Flash")
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:55 am

Lois's new boyfriend?:
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/2011/07/21/2011-07-21_lois_lanes_new_boyfriend_revealed_superman_loses_out_to_jonathan_carroll_in_supe.html
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:32 pm

Hmm. Seems DC has been running with giving Lois back her Pre-Crisis black hair. Not good, not bad, just true. The art looks good too.

I love the Byrne Age but the Pre-Crisis Clark was a bit of a shlub. Not the caricature that he was played as in the films, mind you, but just the guy who's frequently overlooked. Guess that's more in line with the direction DC is going. And for Clark's participation, I don't really mind that.

I do wish though that comics pro's would stop talking about the "love triangle" between Clark, Lois and Superman. I mean, sure, you can find instances of a "triangle" of sorts in the comics but, based on everything I've read (which I think is considerable), it's never been a longterm fixture of the mythos the way people think. It might've been played a time or two in one-off issues over the years (before the Crisis anyway; I really don't think the Byrne Age gave us a triangle at all).

The folks who don't follow comics probably wouldn't know that so no big deal. But you'd think people who make the damn things for a living would be a bit more aware of their own history.

Anyway.

EDIT- I should add that Lois Lane's new guy is (A) thankfully not Steve Lombard and (B) nevertheless just another metrosexual douche.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:47 pm

I wouldn't be surprised myself if this new dude turns evil/becomes a new villain down the road.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Shit, now that you mention it, I shouldn't be either. Good call.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:29 pm

Ya just something I see happening myself. If they don't keep lois and this guy together for to long.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:53 pm

more info on new superman status quo:
http://www.newsarama.com/comics/sdcc-2011-dc-superman-110722.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Newsaramasite+%28Newsarama.com%29&utm_content=Twitter
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:47 pm

You geniuses who are going to buy this crap are in for a HOOT!

Apparently Supergirl is bright enough to have some red in the "pelvic region" but not ol' "Superman". NO SIR!

WeMakeALotOfShitUp.com
Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 8 32130L
Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 8 32132L

Geoff Johns And Jim Lee Promise "ShitBomb Announcements" For "Superman" At DC - Page 8 081205-epic-fail
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:27 am

You know, it hit me today that all of this perfectly summarizes the difference between DC continuity and Marvel continuity. In large part, Marvel's continuity pretty much begins in the 60's with the coming of the Fantastic Four. Pretty much everything that happened between then and now is "in continuity" to some extent or another in the sense that "it happened". Maybe it was undone later (ie, someone realized a given subplot or what have you was a terrible fucking idea and found a way to eliminate it) but it was all done "in continuity".

That leads to a lot of weird shit. Tony Stark regressing to a 17-yr old during in the 90's. The Avengers having those absurd leather jackets as "uniforms". Wolverine losing his adamantium skeleton (and subsequently becoming a mindless behemoth). Etc.

All of these things happened "in story". So as a result, you have a basically continuous history with Marvel. You've got up's, you've got down's, you've got a lot of mediocrity, you've got some really amazing storylines, you've got some real crap. But (to the extent that comics continuity "works" at all) it all fits together with Marvel. Yes yes, One More Day tends to undermine this but that's the exception that proves the rule.

DC? Obviously they have to rejigger everything every few years. That is problem here. If DC's continuity was structured like Marvel, where everything all fits together, and was making all these changes in continuity, I think a lot of people would actually be okay with all this because we'd all know that somehow, some way, some day, everything would eventually be put right and, likely as not, there'd be a nice, convenient little issue that summarizes it all so that everybody can move forward.

But DC marking Flashpoint as The New Starting Point just a few years after the last New Starting Point (ie, Infinite Crisis), all while selectively dumping certain things from continuity while keeping other things, is what's pissing a lot of people off. A lot of Marvel fans got their panties in a twist over the teenage Iron Man. That happened when I was a teenager myself but, even as a teenager, it never crossed my mind that the change would be permanent. Sooner or later -- sooner, as it turned out -- someone would come along and put him right.

That's not what we're getting with the DC reboot (and let's fucking call it what it is, okay?). The Legion of Super-Heroes is a great example of what we're talking about here. DC went to pains to restore the oh-riginal Legion just a few years ago. They scrapped a perfectly good Legion reboot (instigated by Mark Waid and Barry Kitson, incidentally; well worth checking out, canonical status notwithstanding) to restore that continuity and, in the process, Superboy.

Now? Word has come out Superman (in some way or another) still has ties (of some kind or another) to the Legion (somehow or another) but the precise details aren't yet clear. Which pretty clearly explains why Adventure Comics changed formats from being a "Superboy and The Legion of Super-Heroes" book to a "Year One Legion" book to, now, a "Legion Academy" book. The continuity they spent so much time and effort restoring is now fucked up again. Thus one major reason I even bothered investing in this "new" unbooted Legion to begin with has now been nullified.

Do you think I'm happy about that?

Anywho. If DC's continuity worked like Marvel's did, I suspect the reaction to this would be a lot more tempered.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:10 pm

Covers for action comics #3, superman #3, and supergirl #3:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/VoicesFromKrypton/news/?a=44203
Even though the redesign suit looks crappy still, i like that the S is on the cape still woot for that at least.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:15 am

It's weird. Part of me kinda prefers that Supergirl's S-emblem be the same as Superman's. I dig the concept that it's a tribute to him.

But I also kind of dig her having her own emblem that's reminiscent of his but not an exact reproduction of it.

Apart from that, I'm not a fan of those "the public doesn't trust Superman" stories. I'm just not into them. But folks who have suggested similar plotlines for a movie... y'know, I don't think they have any right to bitch and complain about this plot in the comics. Like the altered suits or don't like them but this is a storyline many of them seem hip to... until, that is, they actually get it. Twits...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:04 am

Duh commercial:

Read DC Comics now! How about not?! Suspect

Originally found at duh Homopage. Go there for 'Rain Man' moments:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=10173#comments
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:41 am

To an extent, I'm for anything that gets circulation up. If a TV commercial does the job... hey, go right ahead.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:32 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:To an extent, I'm for anything that gets circulation up. If a TV commercial does the job... hey, go right ahead.

Ya know, you may have a point about sales. I don't think anyone who really likes comics, whether they're actively collecting or not, really wants to see the medium DIE. I grew up with comics. I'm not pleased with DC's latest crapola, especially Superman, but would I wanna see Superman die as a comic book? NO! It kinda reminds me of pro wrestling. I used to really LOVE wrestling, especially the 70's thru the 90's. But turn on 'WWE' now? I could care less! A bunch of 'no-names' for the most part with wrestling's 'glory days' in the past but hey, that's what DVD is for, right? Nevertheless though it keeps going strong. I wonder what DVD collection McMahon released this week? Wink

But yeah, comics need to keep going strong too but Superman desperately needs to be corrected! But what if there's a renewed interest in the characters & the majority of the public 'buys it' because, after all, the 'underwear' had to go. Right? What then?! Rolling Eyes
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:47 pm

^ Not too sure, actually. I ranted about this very type of thing to one of the employees at my comics shop. I said it pisses me off that a lot of people nowadays think the Joker wears make up, behaves like Hannibal Lecter and says his own jokes aren't funny. The guy (something of a TDK apologist, to be sure) said that when such people come to his store, he usually has a line like "I'm sorry that [insert movie] LIED to you but come on over here and check out where the REAL action is". And then he shows them some trades and whatnot.

He claims that most people eventually come back to him pissed off that [insert movie] isn't as good as [insert comic], why didn't [insert movie studio] do it the way the comics did, etc.

It's hard for me to be so benevolent about Superman. I love SV, don't get me wrong, but I do get a bit annoyed when people ask "where the hell is Chloe in the comics, she's Lois Lane's cousin and Clark's childhood friend, you'd think she'd pop up once in a while" and "hey, since when did Lana became a WASPy redhead?!"

If this whole thing ends up being a kickass storyline that serves Superman well and drives up business... well, even then it'd be hard to see the trunks go. Certain things ought not be fucked with, if you ask me.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:27 pm

Another variant/alt cover for action comics:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JakeLester/news/?a=44980
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:35 pm

Superman in the new outfit drawn by Jim Lee... for an Action Comics cover?!?! Whatever dude. I hope that's a mistake on their part because it wouldn't make any sense.

The variant Batman cover rocks though, as might be expected of Ethan Van Sciver.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:59 am

A panel page from last action comics before dcnu(spoilers):
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/08/24/superman-citizenship-question-revisited-in-final-action-comics-spoilers/
Spoiler:
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next