Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod

+8
kivara
gadhero
Father Finian
non_amos
Apologist Puncher
thecolorsblend
webhead2006
superman1938
12 posters

Page 6 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 6 Empty Re: Michael Shannon Cast As Zod

Post  Rduce Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:41 pm

non_amos wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:You can't put a price tag on that kind of positivity and professionalism.

But then, what else were we expecting from Michael Shannon? It's not like I know the guy or anything but apparently his reputation in the industry is pretty much what those comments there would suggest. He brings dedication, hard work and a good attitude with him day in and day out. It's not glad-handing or "office politics" with him; he really does feel that way.

And like was already pointed out, he doesn't have Tom Hardy's attitude!

This really is good to see. I know I've pointed it out before but look back over the years. For every actor who actually seems to appreciate the comics characters, it seems like there's so much more who have total disdain for it. Or partial disdain at least. We had Josh Hartnett who was GLAD he didn't do Superman. We had Ashton Kutcher who quoted 'the Superman curse'. I'm sure there are others too if I really took time to think about it & I'm sure I'll remember some later.

But look at the Marvel films for example. You have actors who are ENTHUSIASTIC to play the roles! And it's not just the 'unknown quantities' like Chris Hemsworth. I wouldn't call SAMUEL L. JACKSON unknown, would you? And look at this guy who is on a role, Jeremy Renner. Didn't he win some awards or something for HURT LOCKER? But here's the dude wanting to be HAWKEYE! And just look what this genre did for the career of Robert Downey, Jr.!

I liked Ed Norton in the last HULK film but it does appear that he ended up being a bit of a 'prima-donna' in the end. But this Mark Ruffalo guy is embracing it! And for past history, we know that both Michael Keaton & Jack Nicholson appreciated the genre but I'm not sure I can say the same for Christian Bale. Is it just a paycheck with him or what?! Bale, you'll never be Keaton, NEV-AHHH! And I think it's safe to say that Christopher Reeve certainly appreciated his fanbase.

One way to look at this is with George Reeves. I recall reading somewhere, probably online, that he wasn't particularly crazy about playing Superman because he wanted to further his career & not be typecast like he was. However, as I understand it, he still didn't diss his fanbase! He 'grinned & bared it' or whatever but obviously he was cordial about the whole thing, especially with the kids.

Not that's class!

Downey’s career wasn’t exactly lying on the rocks baking in the son before IM came along. He is twice nominated for an Oscar, one before, once since. And he has had some very good roles offered him, but I would say that he probably has the ability to be more selective now, being in even greater demand! As for Kutcher, I think he is about to find out about the Charlie Sheen curse.

Rduce

User Reputation : -17

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:20 pm

non_amos wrote:One way to look at this is with George Reeves. I recall reading somewhere, probably online, that he wasn't particularly crazy about playing Superman because he wanted to further his career & not be typecast like he was. However, as I understand it, he still didn't diss his fanbase! He 'grinned & bared it' or whatever but obviously he was cordial about the whole thing, especially with the kids.

Not that's class!
Did you ever see Hollywoodland? It's about the private investigation into George's death. One big topic for the thing is his feelings toward the role. If nothing else, his performance never suffered and he at least had the courtesy to be polite about it in public. Great movie, if you ask me.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:44 pm

Rduce wrote:Downey’s career wasn’t exactly lying on the rocks baking in the son before IM came along. He is twice nominated for an Oscar, one before, once since. And he has had some very good roles offered him, but I would say that he probably has the ability to be more selective now, being in even greater demand! As for Kutcher, I think he is about to find out about the Charlie Sheen curse.

Actually, Downey Jr. for MANY years before 'Iron Man' was doing Charlie Sheen BEFORE Charlie Sheen. Just without the public outbursts and the "winning". He was heavy into drugs and alcohol, and it almost cost him his career. Even was arrested multiple times due to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Downey,_Jr.

Between 1996 and 2001, Downey was frequently arrested on drug-related charges and went through several drug treatment programs, but had difficulty staying clean. After being released from the California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility and State Prison in 2000, Downey joined the cast of the hit television series Ally McBeal playing the new love interest of Calista Flockhart's title character. His performance was praised and received accolades, but his character was written out when Downey was fired after two drug arrests in late 2000 and early 2001. After one last stay in a court-ordered drug treatment program, Downey finally achieved lasting sobriety and his career began to take off again. He appeared in semi-independent films such as The Singing Detective (2003), Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005), and A Scanner Darkly (2006). He also had supporting roles in the mainstream films Gothika (2003) and Zodiac (2007). In 2004, Downey released his debut studio album The Futurist.

So non was indeed correct. 'Iron Man' turned it around for Downey, and he'll never forget that.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  Rduce Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:11 pm

I still respectfully disagree. I followed his career and enjoyed his work long before Iron Man, ever since Chaplin in fact. He has worked steadily and was critically accepted as a brilliant actor, even during his drug addled years.

Iron Man made him a rock star with the unacquainted, but he was marvelously accepted for his work long before IM.

Rduce

Back to top Go down

Post  Rduce Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:13 pm

[quote="thecolorsblend"]
non_amos wrote:Did you ever see Hollywoodland? It's about the private investigation into George's death. One big topic for the thing is his feelings toward the role. If nothing else, his performance never suffered and he at least had the courtesy to be polite about it in public. Great movie, if you ask me.

Great movie, if for nothing else, but to see what the original gray and brown suits looked like, but I agree it was a very good movie into the Reeves' mindset on doing the series.

Rduce

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:19 pm

Rduce wrote:I still respectfully disagree. I followed his career and enjoyed his work long before Iron Man, ever since Chaplin in fact. He has worked steadily and was critically accepted as a brilliant actor, even during his drug addled years.

Iron Man made him a rock star with the unacquainted, but he was marvelously accepted for his work long before IM.

Feel free to disagree, but you are still wrong. Did you click the link above?

Downey was able to return to the big screen only after Mel Gibson, who had been a close friend to Downey since both had co-starred in Air America, paid Downey's insurance bond for the 2003 film The Singing Detective.[42] Gibson's gamble paved the way for Downey's comeback and Downey returned to mainstream films in the mid 2000s with Gothika, for which producer Joel Silver withheld 40 percent of his salary until after production wrapped as insurance against his addictive behavior. Similar clauses have become standard in his contracts since then.

How did he work steady when he was in jail? Why did it take Mel Gibson insuring him to get him back into the movies?

His lifestyle choices almost cost him his career, as even HE admits.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rduce Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:07 am

Well, I am NOT wrong. While I will agree drugs nearly cost him his life, his career really never suffered. IM came out in 2008, so if his career sucked so badly, how is he had film roles in 3 movies in 2007, 4 roles in 2006, 4 roles in 2005, 1 in 2004, 3 in 2003, appeared in 25 episodes of a television show between 2000-2002 along with a film in 2002, 2 roles in 2000 and the list goes on and on. In fact he usually has had roles in at least 3 films a year with only 2001 being his rehab year where he appeared in nothing.

I’m sorry, but to say he wasn’t successful before IM came along is just ludicrous and mistaken.

Rduce

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:33 am

Rduce wrote:Well, I am NOT wrong. While I will agree drugs nearly cost him his life, his career really never suffered. IM came out in 2008, so if his career sucked so badly, how is he had film roles in 3 movies in 2007, 4 roles in 2006, 4 roles in 2005, 1 in 2004, 3 in 2003, appeared in 25 episodes of a television show between 2000-2002 along with a film in 2002, 2 roles in 2000 and the list goes on and on. In fact he usually has had roles in at least 3 films a year with only 2001 being his rehab year where he appeared in nothing.

First off, just admit you're wrong before you make yourself look silly.

Rduce wrote:I’m sorry, but to say he wasn’t successful before IM came along is just ludicrous and mistaken.

Oops, too late.

Who said this even ONCE in this thread? Nobody, that's who.

You obviously are either too young, or weren't paying attention to Downey's roller-coaster professional life during his drug phase. Yes, he "worked", but he was nowhere NEAR the level he was prior to 1996. He was doing independent films or television because major studios wouldn't take a chance on a drug addicted felon. Lindsay Lohan is experiencing what that means as we speak. So to say he "never really suffered" professionally is an out-right falsehood.

I've posted links and info, you have responded with hyperbole and conjecture. Let's not talk about "ludicrous and mistaken" ever again, shall we?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:40 am

Oh, and I'll let EW take the last word on the matter:

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20321301_20320164_20703651,00.html

COMEBACK: Robert Downey Jr.
In mid-2000, Downey seemed like he was headed for a career comeback when the Oscar-nominated actor — who had fielded multiple drug-related arrests since the mid-'90s — was cast as a love interest for Calista Flockhart on Ally McBeal. But after two more arrests, Downey was written off the show, sent to rehab, and placed on three-year probation. Vowing to get clean, over the next few years the actor rebounded personally and professionally, earning strong reviews for his roles in 2005's Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang and 2007's Zodiac.
The actor officially reclaimed his matinee idol status in 2008, thanks to a little film called Iron Man, and an Oscar nomination for his role in Tropic Thunder.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Rduce Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:38 am

I have always viewed a narcissist’s inability to accept their insignificance as amusing, in your case it is just pitiable. Of course your views of all things you do not personally agree with as being wrong, well that is your right as being the proprietor of this dysfunctional assembly. However, surrounding yourself by nothing more than a Confederacy of Milquetoast lackeys speaks volumes.

Feel free to purge my name from your scrolls. Oh, and just for your information, I have underwear older than you and in many ways more gifted…

Rduce

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:47 am

Man, Rduce! You gonna fall out with AP & everyone else over RDJ's career?! I mean, here you were just recently making excellent points about the Superman franchise & right points, but then you have a difference of opinion with someone over Downey's career & you hit the road? That sounds like Father Finian. The guy was obviously a realist but he fell out with Colors because he didn't like Colors' stance on the Tim Burton Batman franchise. So he told him off & basically said 'cancel my membership'. You're doing the same thing! And if we're 'lackeys' like you say, why then do we disagree sometimes?

Look, I haven't necessarily agreed 100% with others here either, especially on certain points, but the thing about being a REALIST is that you can speak your mind & not have to apologize for it. That's what APOLOGISTS do. As for Downey, I too believed his career was in the toilet long before I ever heard of AP or this site. I recall years ago seeing him in GOTHIKA on DVD & I couldn't even believe he was even in a film! At all! So there must be something to this, no? Rolling Eyes
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:12 pm

Ya we dont need to let gets get overboard or let our feelings get the better of us. We should all just chill, relax and get back to business.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Rduce wrote:I have always viewed a narcissist’s inability to accept their insignificance as amusing, in your case it is just pitiable. Of course your views of all things you do not personally agree with as being wrong, well that is your right as being the proprietor of this dysfunctional assembly. However, surrounding yourself by nothing more than a Confederacy of Milquetoast lackeys speaks volumes.

Feel free to purge my name from your scrolls. Oh, and just for your information, I have underwear older than you and in many ways more gifted…
Hey now, let's all just simmer down. This really isn't worth the trouble. AP and I disagree about stuff fairly regularly. No need let it become a big deal, you know? I like your posts and would hate to see you leave.

Aside from all that, I was never huge on Ally McBeal back when it was on TV but I really dug his episodes. He had fun chemistry with Flockhart and was good little addition to the cast.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:49 pm

Rduce wrote:I have always viewed a narcissist’s inability to accept their insignificance as amusing, in your case it is just pitiable. Of course your views of all things you do not personally agree with as being wrong, well that is your right as being the proprietor of this dysfunctional assembly. However, surrounding yourself by nothing more than a Confederacy of Milquetoast lackeys speaks volumes.

Get proven wrong and you're going to pull a "Cartman"? Really? Well, with your condescending and un-funny posts of late, I have a feeling you were looking for an "out" anyway. Being unable to counter my FACTS was all it took. Good.

We don't need weak-kneed, unintelligent pieces of shit stinking the place up.

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:56 pm

non_amos wrote:Man, Rduce! You gonna fall out with AP & everyone else over RDJ's career?! I mean, here you were just recently making excellent points about the Superman franchise & right points, but then you have a difference of opinion with someone over Downey's career & you hit the road? That sounds like Father Finian. The guy was obviously a realist but he fell out with Colors because he didn't like Colors' stance on the Tim Burton Batman franchise. So he told him off & basically said 'cancel my membership'. You're doing the same thing! And if we're 'lackeys' like you say, why then do we disagree sometimes?

Look, I haven't necessarily agreed 100% with others here either, especially on certain points, but the thing about being a REALIST is that you can speak your mind & not have to apologize for it. That's what APOLOGISTS do. As for Downey, I too believed his career was in the toilet long before I ever heard of AP or this site. I recall years ago seeing him in GOTHIKA on DVD & I couldn't even believe he was even in a film! At all! So there must be something to this, no? Rolling Eyes

The guy is basically Half-Apologist, based on his reaction to my posts. Hit him with facts, and he folded. There were no personal insults, no condescension until HE went down that road. Where have we seen that before, I wonder......?

Some people just CAN'T handle being wrong, and this is what you get.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Do you suppose he is Father Finian in disguise? One reason is he makes reference to his age. He also reacted like him. But then there was that 'Jerry' dude who used to post here (or the 'Steve' site) until he got offended & reacted similarly. He made 'thoughtful' posts but ultimately told us to take a hike! He also spoke of his 'age'.

Hmmmmm?!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:17 pm

The similarity to Finian's "meltdown" is a little suspect. I mean, who gets so butt-hurt about Robert Downey Jr's ADMITTED career issues that they storm off like a petulant child? Or Nolan's casting short-comings? I could understand if I, or anyone else here, had gone off on an insult-laden tirade against either of them. Insulting them, their mothers, spouses, etc. They would actually have a REASON to leave. But this? THIS is why?

I have a new found "respect" for Comicbookfan-v2 now. I have been MUCH harder on him, and the guy is still around.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:07 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:The similarity to Finian's "meltdown" is a little suspect. I mean, who gets so butt-hurt about Robert Downey Jr's ADMITTED career issues that they storm off like a petulant child? Or Nolan's casting short-comings? I could understand if I, or anyone else here, had gone off on an insult-laden tirade against either of them. Insulting them, their mothers, spouses, etc. They would actually have a REASON to leave. But this? THIS is why?

I have a new found "respect" for Comicbookfan-v2 now. I have been MUCH harder on him, and the guy is still around.

Yeah, you've got a point there. You've really let loose on Comic Book Dude but he keeps coming back to this site. Either he's a 'glutton for punishment' or he really is a Superman fan? Possibly the latter? Even though he's obviously wrong about the whole trunks issue & whatever else? You're right though. If anyone should've left, it should've been him.....but he didn't!

But let's see now. Father Finian goes on a tirade against Colors because he likes the Burton Batman films. Well, so do I! My own preference is the 1989 film. But Father Finian seemed to be perturbed at Colors specifically like he worships all things Burton or something. The fact that Colors isn't a big fan of the Nolan films I suppose didn't help matters either. Personally I like the Nolan films but 'they are what they are', right? So I like 'em, he doesn't. So what? Is that something to throw a temper tantrum over?!

The whole issue with RDJ seems to be a very similar situation. If you'll recall a few posts back 'Rduce' initially tried to correct me, at which you, AP, corrected him by stating that I was correct. Then ensued his tantrum! I mean, 'excuse me for living' as the saying goes, but did I imagine all that stuff about Downey over the years? Did that take place in some alternate reality or something? I think not! When I saw Gothika (really creepy film btw), I thought his performance was good but.....there was also a sense of 'disbelief' to his even being there! And I dare say that had to be based on something. But when I saw him in IRON MAN I viewed that as an enormous comeback. Again, did I just imagine this or what?!

But to throw tantrums over something like this, i.e., no real personal attacks or anything, just a difference of opinion? To me that just seems infantile. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 'goose-stepping' is over at duh Homopage, not here!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:31 am

non_amos wrote:But let's see now. Father Finian goes on a tirade against Colors because he likes the Burton Batman films. Well, so do I! My own preference is the 1989 film. But Father Finian seemed to be perturbed at Colors specifically like he worships all things Burton or something. The fact that Colors isn't a big fan of the Nolan films I suppose didn't help matters either. Personally I like the Nolan films but 'they are what they are', right? So I like 'em, he doesn't. So what? Is that something to throw a temper tantrum over?!

The whole issue with RDJ seems to be a very similar situation. If you'll recall a few posts back 'Rduce' initially tried to correct me, at which you, AP, corrected him by stating that I was correct. Then ensued his tantrum! I mean, 'excuse me for living' as the saying goes, but did I imagine all that stuff about Downey over the years? Did that take place in some alternate reality or something? I think not! When I saw Gothika (really creepy film btw), I thought his performance was good but.....there was also a sense of 'disbelief' to his even being there! And I dare say that had to be based on something. But when I saw him in IRON MAN I viewed that as an enormous comeback. Again, did I just imagine this or what?!

But to throw tantrums over something like this, i.e., no real personal attacks or anything, just a difference of opinion? To me that just seems infantile. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the 'goose-stepping' is over at duh Homopage, not here!
The main distinction I'd draw is that Finian's beef with me was a matter of opinion. Rduce's with Puncher and you is more a matter of fact. Both are silly reasons to get your panties in a twist over. So I don't like Chris Nolan's Batman films. Big fucking deal, I think his non-Batman films (those I've seen anyway) are phenomenal. Burton? Precisely the opposite. I can't think of anything he's done (except maybe Pee Wee) which I thought was all that good apart from his two Batman films.

The simple fact of the matter is that there have been times in Downey's career where his talent was severely overshadowed by his addictions. It sucked for his fans, it had to have sucked for him personally (addictions being as horrible as they are), etc etc etc. Bottom line? Everything that was said here seems legit. So wtf, why freak out over it? The point was that his career suffered because of his personal problems; at no time do I recall anybody advancing the argument that his career was effectively ended by them. Then Rduce might've had a half-assed reason to get offended (but even then you're splitting hairs so what's it worth?).

Hell, Puncher and I are just going to have to agree to disagree about some of the merits of Green Lantern. I thought it was good as a brainless popcorn movie. I've got zero investment in Hal Jordan so I could give a shit about that movie beyond its ability to entertain me with fun action sequences. On that basis, I felt like I got my money's worth. Puncher hated it and hasn't tried very hard to hide his opinion about that. So. I can either freak out, call his ancestry, maternal relations and personal hygiene into question or I can just accept his opinion as what it is. I could throw a tantrum but there's no margin in it for me... esp as it's not like I can factually dispute too much of his case.

And anyway, why sweat the small stuff, right?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:38 pm

I love that he took a "shot" at all of YOU, when it had nothing to do with anything.

All class, that guy....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:49 pm

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ComicMovieBuzz/news/?a=48106

From the Orlando Sentinel:

“I’m going back to Vancouver this week and we’ll see what happens,” he says. “This role is totally about your imagination. There’s not really any research you can do. It’s total fantasy.

“The only research you can do is look at the comic book and see what other people have done in those comics and on screen. The original film series made a big impression on me. I remember being scared to death of Terrence Stamp and those other two, all dressed in black.

“There’s no way I’m going to be able to do anything close to what he did. I’m trundling off in my own direction and we’ll see if it works. I can be a little scary, too.

Hell yeah he can.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:19 pm

Anything is better than the hand-wringing apologetic bullshit we got from Lauren Schuler-Donner when she was hyping the first X-Men movie. "Welllllll... we wanted to make this thing but it wouldn't have worked if it'd been comic booky, you see, and soooooooooo... weputthecharactersinskintightblackleatherbecausethat'salotmorecredibleandcertainlymoreinlinewithourbeloveddirector'stasteskthxbai."

Everytime the guy opens his mouth about Zod, the more convinced I become that, no matter how the movie itself turns out, Shannon will once again bring home the bacon.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:18 am

I couldn't have picked a better actor to play the part.

No one could.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:03 am

Yup all of shannon's comments been very good and i cant wait for 2013 to come so we can see how he is as zod.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:46 am

Shannon talks MOS/Zod on a UK talk show(Superman stuff at 4:30min mark):
http://bcove.me/bqni0988
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action