Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod

+8
kivara
gadhero
Father Finian
non_amos
Apologist Puncher
thecolorsblend
webhead2006
superman1938
12 posters

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 3 Empty Re: Michael Shannon Cast As Zod

Post  webhead2006 Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:23 pm

Wish I had hbo to check out the show. But I guess I have to just find clips online. Do they air episodes at all online?
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:17 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:He really does. How'd you like the "baptism" scene?
I dug it but I'm still trying to figure out how he could do that in front of dozens of witnesses, all of whom knew his name and place of employment and still somehow convince his superiors that the victim had heart failure or something.

And with what you have seen, can you envision him going over-the-top like Terrence Stamp did? It WORKED for Stamp, it WOULDN'T work for Shannon.
Well, if he's as good as I expect he is, he probably could go OTT and sell it. But I think a colder, more aloof Zod is why you go to a guy like Shannon. I would imagine he can use a less east coast accent to play the role so, overall, I feel more confident in him than ever.

You'll love it.
Kind of a disappointment. I was expecting more of a pitched battle between Nucky and the Chicago guy who fixed the World Series. Obviously both are modeled on historical figures (to varying degrees) so I guess the showrunners have to stick to the history books but I wasn't expecting either side to sue for peace. Eliminating the DaLessio (sp?) brothers though was awesome. Sort of Godfather'ish but not really.

Also, I was half-expecting Nelson to *REALLY* do something notable in the finale based upon what you wrote but he basically knocked that Danziger chick up, slapped the piss out of some guy and then read his Bible.

Overall, it's a good little show. I've never been big on HBO shows before but this one's quality.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:38 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:I dug it but I'm still trying to figure out how he could do that in front of dozens of witnesses, all of whom knew his name and place of employment and still somehow convince his superiors that the victim had heart failure or something.

Two things you have to keep in mind:

1. Who exactly are the witnesses?

2. What was the "racial climate" like at the time?

They knew what kind of trouble they would be bringing down on themselves if they implicated a white FEDERAL AGENT.

Well, if he's as good as I expect he is, he probably could go OTT and sell it. But I think a colder, more aloof Zod is why you go to a guy like Shannon. I would imagine he can use a less east coast accent to play the role so, overall, I feel more confident in him than ever.

I expect him to do a "slow burn". Building up to just EXPLODE all over Cavill's Superman during the finale.

Kind of a disappointment. I was expecting more of a pitched battle between Nucky and the Chicago guy who fixed the World Series. Obviously both are modeled on historical figures (to varying degrees) so I guess the showrunners have to stick to the history books but I wasn't expecting either side to sue for peace. Eliminating the DaLessio (sp?) brothers though was awesome. Sort of Godfather'ish but not really.

Also, I was half-expecting Nelson to *REALLY* do something notable in the finale based upon what you wrote but he basically knocked that Danziger chick up, slapped the piss out of some guy and then read his Bible.

Overall, it's a good little show. I've never been big on HBO shows before but this one's quality.

I should have "hinted" more about the plot turns, rather than any particular actors performance in the finale. Did you expect the little "coup" that is brewing with certain people at the end? And Nucky thinking things COULDN'T get better?

Like I said, I love the show. But if the Reboot delays Shannon's involvement, I'm all for it.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:34 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:I dug it but I'm still trying to figure out how he could do that in front of dozens of witnesses, all of whom knew his name and place of employment and still somehow convince his superiors that the victim had heart failure or something.

Two things you have to keep in mind:

1. Who exactly are the witnesses?

2. What was the "racial climate" like at the time?

They knew what kind of trouble they would be bringing down on themselves if they implicated a white FEDERAL AGENT.
Fair enough.

I expect him to do a "slow burn". Building up to just EXPLODE all over Cavill's Superman during the finale.
That's the way to go with Zod these days, if you ask me. Less of a theatrical, cackling, ranting villain and something more subdued. I never had any reason to question Shannon's bona fides BEFORE watching the show but now? Dude, I wouldn't say a peep.

I should have "hinted" more about the plot turns, rather than any particular actors performance in the finale. Did you expect the little "coup" that is brewing with certain people at the end? And Nucky thinking things COULDN'T get better?
Given the static between Nucky and basically everyone, I figured sooner or later someone would take a shot at him. Never figured it'd involve the Commodore (but seriously, who the hell saw THAT coming?) but I figured it'd just be a matter of time until someone planted the idea in Jimmy's head that he could run the show at least as well as Nucky (which is probably true when you think about it). If I'd been pressed, my guess would've been that Jimmy would eventually line up with Al and Richard as his muscle and try to pull something off but obviously Al has a destiny all his own (although not until 1929, as far as I know so maybe you could still manage that) and Richard's talents set the standard for "behind the scenes".

Like I said, I love the show. But if the Reboot delays Shannon's involvement, I'm all for it.
Superman is my supreme loyalty when it comes to all entertainment endeavors so, although Shannon will be missed from BE, I can EASILY cope with him being gone given what'll be occupying his time... esp if Snyder is developing The Suit the way I expect he is. cheers
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 3 Empty RE: Michael Shannon Cast As Zod

Post  non_amos Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:55 am

http://movies.msn.com/paralleluniverse/superman-villain/story/across-the-universe/

Kneel Before Zod

What is all the fuss over Superman's enemy?

It was announced last Sunday that Oscar nominee and eccentric character actor Michael Shannon will play Gen. Zod in director Zack Snyder and producer Christopher Nolan's upcoming reinvention of Superman, now officially titled "Man of Steel." This confirmed rumors that had been circulating for weeks that the would-be Kryptonian dictator -- a minor villain in the comics during the '60s who became the major bad guy (played by Terence Stamp) in 1981's "Superman II" -- would resurface.

There's no word on whether he'll be accompanied by cohorts Ursa and Non in the new film. The threesome made their screen debut briefly in "Superman" (1978), when Superman's father, Jor-El (Marlon Brando), consigned them to the Phantom Zone for attempting to overthrow the Kryptonian government. Breaking out in the second film, they tracked Superman (Christopher Reeve) to Earth, with Zod wanting to have his vengeance and conquer Kal-El's adopted home.

It seems likely that Shannon will provide quite a different performance from the brutish, rather one-dimensional tyrant portrayed by Stamp. So why has the announcement that Zod will be the villain (against Henry Cavill as Superman) exasperated fans?

The biggest complaint seems to be, obviously, that we've seen Zod before. Of course, that was three decades ago, and, arguably, enough time has elapsed for a fresh look at the character. Lex Luthor has been the main or secondary villain in four of the five modern "Superman" films, and no one wants to see him again (although rumors persist that he'll show up in this one, too). So why not bring back a bad guy who, as a fellow survivor of Superman's destroyed home world, can match Superman's powers and provide a look at the dark side of the Kryptonian psyche?

The fan unease over the inclusion of Zod seems to be over the fact that with more than 70 years of villains in the Superman canon, the filmmakers -- who have promised, by the way, a movie with no ties to the previous five films -- have gone back to the first two "Superman" films for their adversary. With evildoers like Brainiac, Darkseid, Metallo and Bizarro all locked in their print prison, waiting for their big break onscreen, does it really have to be Zod, who wasn't even a big deal in the comics until well after he showed up onscreen?

Ironically, there have been very few complaints about the fact that Christopher Nolan, in directing his own "Batman" films, has either resurrected or is about to resurrect four villains already seen in the previous cycle of films (1989--1997) directed by Tim Burton and Joel Schumacher: the Joker (seen in "Batman" and "The Dark Knight"), Two-Face (introduced in "Batman Forever" and seen again in "The Dark Knight"), Catwoman (seen in "Batman Returns" and soon to be seen in "The Dark Knight Rises") and Bane (featured in "Batman and Robin" and also showing up in "The Dark Knight Rises").

So why does Nolan get a free pass while Snyder -- not to mention Bryan Singer, who brought back Luthor in his "Superman Returns" (2006) -- does not?

We have a couple of theories. For one, whatever the quality of the four "Batman" films made by Burton and Schumacher, they did introduce a significant number of villains from the Caped Crusader's rogue's gallery. That has perhaps earned Nolan the right to give a few of those characters another turn at bat. And, of course, there's also the fact that original quartet of movies took significant liberties with either the origin or portrayal of its bad guys -- transgressions which Nolan has gone a long way toward correcting.

For example, the Two-Face played by Tommy Lee Jones in "Batman Forever" was a screaming, rather buffoonish caricature, not the crusading district attorney eventually corrupted by the Joker into a vengeful psychopath in "The Dark Knight." While Michelle Pfeiffer fared somewhat better as Catwoman in "Batman Returns," her origin story -- thrown from a building by her boss and licked back to life by cats -- was awful. And let's not even get started on Bane: The powerful antagonist known for breaking Batman's back was reduced to a monosyllabic henchman in the unbearable "Batman and Robin."

Even Jack Nicholson's Joker in the first "Batman" -- seen at the time as a perfect marriage of actor and role -- frankly pales in comparison with Heath Ledger's searing performance in "The Dark Knight." Our lingering image of Nicholson as the Joker is him dancing around a museum and vandalizing paintings to Prince songs. Like Jones' Two-Face, Nicholson's Joker now comes across as silly and juvenile compared to Ledger's dangerously insane terrorist.

Nolan's "Batman" cycle was also the first to tell the Caped Crusader's origin story, paving the way for the reintroduction of key villains like Joker and Two-Face. His films provided the definitive take on those villains while also introducing others never seen onscreen before, like Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul. In each case, those were important enemies from Batman's history. Zod, for a long time, was not, and his inclusion feels bland and unsurprising. We also don't need to see Superman's origin story again, but the addition of Zod almost makes it a sure bet that we will.

Look, Snyder, Nolan and screenwriter David Goyer may end up startling us all with a radical new take on Zod. They may give us a fresh perspective on Superman's origins. They might just -- aw, to hell with it. Who's playing Lex?

Send us your thoughts on all things sci-fi, horror, etc. Write us at heymsn@microsoft.com

Don Kaye covers film, TV and entertainment for MSN.com

I know this is a Superman thread but this guy has the nerve to ridicule Jack Nicholson's Joker?! As a cartoony buffoon?! Who pales in comparison to Heath Ledger's performance?! GIVE.....ME.....A.....BREAK!!!!!

I do, however, believe that Zod will be handled well in this reboot though, especially when I have a feeling that they'll go with something more in line with the comics.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:50 am

non_amos wrote:I know this is a Superman thread but this guy has the nerve to ridicule Jack Nicholson's Joker?! As a cartoony buffoon?! Who pales in comparison to Heath Ledger's performance?! GIVE.....ME.....A.....BREAK!!!!!

I do, however, believe that Zod will be handled well in this reboot though, especially when I have a feeling that they'll go with something more in line with the comics.
I guess I don't get it. Yeah, Ledger was good but that character had little or nothing in common with the Joker as he'd been portrayed for decades in the comics. Whether anybody likes it or not, the Joker is a fairly "cartoonish" villain. Nicholson's version reflects that; Ledger's does not. Period.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:27 pm

Possible Zod Sighting on kent farm set:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.223222067723003.62032.221774371201106&type=1
Spoiler:
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Spoiler:
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:28 pm

Spoiler:
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:13 pm

That last picture just might be
Spoiler:
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:16 pm

i seen folks think that over on facebook page, but my question is what would that character be doing on the kent farm, in what is likely present day scenes shooting?
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:20 pm

webhead2006 wrote:i seen folks think that over on facebook page, but my question is what would that character be doing on the kent farm, in what is likely present day scenes shooting?

Here's your answer:

Spoiler:
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:22 pm

i wouldnt want to see his character evil at all.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:22 pm

webhead2006 wrote:i wouldnt want to see his character evil at all.
wtf are you talking about?!
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:23 pm

webhead2006 wrote:i wouldnt want to see his character evil at all.

Um, wow......
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:25 pm

Apparently you've never read John Byrne's 'Man Of Steel' mini-series. Here's something to help you figure out what's going on:

Spoiler:
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:30 pm

oh sorry guys from the first thing ap posted it looked like he was hurting/attacking superman so i thought he was being evil.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:03 pm

Even though it'll be awhile till we see an official photo of Michael Shannon as Zod I thought I post a manip pic that I just made so we can get a glimps of what we can assume what would Shannon look like as Zod!

Check it out...

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 3 Zod_cl12
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:01 pm

I don't think he will have a full beard. Even in those set photos that where of shannon it doesn't look like he has a full beard. If anything probably just a lower chin goatee
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:29 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:Even though it'll be awhile till we see an official photo of Michael Shannon as Zod I thought I post a manip pic that I just made so we can get a glimps of what we can assume what would Shannon look like as Zod!

Check it out...

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 3 Zod_cl12
No.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:03 pm

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 3 Cutcaster-photo-100322602-Hell-No-Red-Button
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:24 pm

Shannon kind of talks Zod and Cavill:

WeMakeALotOfShitUp.com

Michael Shannon Speaks Briefly On Playing General Zod In Man Of Steel

He tells the mag that he recently watched Terence Stamp play Zod in Superman 2..

"I found that intimidating. He nailed it. My girlfriend was watching Superman 2 and I said "Turn it off, I can't watch, I'm not worthy!".

He also talks up his co-star Henry Cavill and says that he has been studying the comic books in preparation and has also been putting in some serious gym time..

"Every time I see him I think "There's Superman". He's got it down"

"If you're playing a General you should be fit. A General wouldn't be fat!"

I like the sound of that last part.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:07 pm

Shannon talks wearing mo-cap suit:
http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/09/07/michael-shannon-mo-cap-suit-superman-man-of-steel/
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:14 pm

Well I did remember a photo of someone that look like Michael Shannon in a mo-cap suit although his front body is not facing the camera shot but somewhere around the line I knew it wasen't the same guy that we saw in those other photos of him wearing a mo-cap suit along with a head pole and enlarge gloves! Also I see some body differences between those photos and just to prove my point here are they...

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 3 Shannonzod

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 3 31327011

There seem to be a body mass difference where I assume the top pic is actually Shannon in a mo-cap suit and is shown to be slim compare to the pic below where it shows a pic of someone in a mo-cap suit that appears to be bulked in comparison which indicates that it'll just be Shannon and an extra wearing mo-cap suits in the film. Cause I can only imagine Zod wearing a suit that requires CGI but not being portrayed as a huge character that is about 9 to 10 feet tall.
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:26 pm

ya its been confirmed the on farm set photo is shannon. the other guys we seen and the one with the pole attached to head is a completely differennt actor/mo-cap people.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next