Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod

+8
kivara
gadhero
Father Finian
non_amos
Apologist Puncher
thecolorsblend
webhead2006
superman1938
12 posters

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 2 Empty RE: Michael Shannon Cast As Zod

Post  non_amos Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:56 am

After watching that Youtube vid & seeing his facial expressions in pics, I have to wonder if they'll actually give Zod a different appearance? The general public always thinks Terrance Stamp, complete with goatee & black costumes & with Non & Ursa in tow. What if the reboot actually shows Zod as he originally appeared in the comics? I'm unable at this time to post a pic but maybe someone could? Anyway, I remember Zod being pictured as looking a lot like Lex Luthor in a military uniform, a green one at that, complete with bald head & 'Gestapo' type of hat. He was also clean-shaven. That's how he appeared in the comics, even in John Byrne's reboot. The whole Terrance Stamp image was obviously a creation of Donner. I suggest that they go with the comics image instead, or at least an updated version of it.

Speaking of 'Gestapo', I noticed that Shannon looked like he could really portray a NAZI if he wanted to, in that type of film. I suggest then that he somehow bring that type of craziness/intensity into the role of Zod besides just the appearance. One other thing though. Is he gonna also be required to work out at GYM JONES? Like Cavill is? Just a thought.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 2 Empty Re: Michael Shannon Cast As Zod

Post  kivara Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:28 pm

non_amos wrote:After watching that Youtube vid & seeing his facial expressions in pics, I have to wonder if they'll actually give Zod a different appearance? The general public always thinks Terrance Stamp, complete with goatee & black costumes & with Non & Ursa in tow. What if the reboot actually shows Zod as he originally appeared in the comics? I'm unable at this time to post a pic but maybe someone could? Anyway, I remember Zod being pictured as looking a lot like Lex Luthor in a military uniform, a green one at that, complete with bald head & 'Gestapo' type of hat. He was also clean-shaven. That's how he appeared in the comics, even in John Byrne's reboot. The whole Terrance Stamp image was obviously a creation of Donner. I suggest that they go with the comics image instead, or at least an updated version of it.

Speaking of 'Gestapo', I noticed that Shannon looked like he could really portray a NAZI if he wanted to, in that type of film. I suggest then that he somehow bring that type of craziness/intensity into the role of Zod besides just the appearance. One other thing though. Is he gonna also be required to work out at GYM JONES? Like Cavill is? Just a thought.

That's what I was thinking with the casting of Shannon.

Here's a couple of pics of pre-crisis Zod:

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 2 General-zod

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 2 849921-escape_super

kivara
Kirk Alyn
Kirk Alyn

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:36 pm

non_amos wrote:After watching that Youtube vid & seeing his facial expressions in pics, I have to wonder if they'll actually give Zod a different appearance? The general public always thinks Terrance Stamp, complete with goatee & black costumes & with Non & Ursa in tow. What if the reboot actually shows Zod as he originally appeared in the comics? I'm unable at this time to post a pic but maybe someone could? Anyway, I remember Zod being pictured as looking a lot like Lex Luthor in a military uniform, a green one at that, complete with bald head & 'Gestapo' type of hat. He was also clean-shaven. That's how he appeared in the comics, even in John Byrne's reboot. The whole Terrance Stamp image was obviously a creation of Donner. I suggest that they go with the comics image instead, or at least an updated version of it.

I know somebody have already beat me to it but still... I take it this Zod from the silver age was the one you were refering to as he appeared in "Adventure Comics #283"...

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 2 Genera10

Or how about this one which is more of a modern take of his classic version...

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 2 Genera11

Of course I don't the see harm if they can blend the classic version with the donner version since thats the one everybody remembers which I have to admit Terence Stamp's portrayal was truely memorable and iconic.

Here's a perfect example of...

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 2 Genera12

But enough about this...

Now as for the news about Zod being confirmed as the villain or perhaps one of the villains I'm not even sure what reaction to go with, either go with a positive one or a negative one since we definitly already heard from alot of fans that Zod has already been used in "Superman II" (Which is indeed true) and fearing the possibility of a rehash or another kind of rehash considering that "Superman Returns" was a rehash of the first film. But all I can say is if Zod is set to appear although I would perfer to have him in future sequels than in a first installment (It work for the Joker in "The Dark Knight") along with Brainiac they better display something different and original but I also hope that he's not the only villain and I'm not just talking about Lex or expecting other Kryptonian villains for that matter!

Seriously Snyder, don't screw this up!!! Evil or Very Mad
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:30 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:I know somebody have already beat me to it but still... I take it this Zod from the silver age was the one you were refering to as he appeared in "Adventure Comics #283"...

I like the Silver Age version. (A) It looks suitably different from Donner's version (a must in this case) and (B) his uniform suggests a sort of SS/Nazi aesthetic. Befitting a would-be galactic despot, no?

Of course I don't the see harm if they can blend the classic version with the donner version since thats the one everybody remembers
Fuck what "everybody remembers". As much as I'm willing to accept Zod as the villain in this film, Snyder's is smoking some bad crack if he thinks mass audiences have any fucking clue who the Terrence Stamp/Donner version of Zod is. Plus, I'm sick to fuck of Donner's film being treated as the end all, be all. It's good but we can do better so let's fucking try already!

which I have to admit Terence Stamp's portrayal was truely memorable and iconic.
To the fans and film buffs. Mass audiences don't remember and wouldn't give two shits even if they did. If Singerman taught us nothing else, it's that the Donner films don't have the recognition people THINK they do.

But all I can say is if Zod is set to appear although I would perfer to have him in future sequels than in a first installment (It work for the Joker in "The Dark Knight")
That plays for the Joker as he's THE villain in Batman's rogue's gallery. Zod is not the equivalent of the Joker among Superman's enemies; Lex is. So IF Snyder's saving villains for future films, it makes sense to hold Lex in reserve.

they better display something different and original
Says the guy who wants a Donner'ish version of Zod.

but I also hope that he's not the only villain and I'm not just talking about Lex or expecting other Kryptonian villains for that matter!
Zod is a big enough villain to carry a film. Superhero movies these days tend to be overpopulated with villains. Restricting the villain to Zod allows narrative focus. If that's the approach Snyder's taking, it's the right approach.

The only way he can is if he listens to morons.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:36 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:

I know somebody have already beat me to it but still... I take it this Zod from the silver age was the one you were refering to as he appeared in "Adventure Comics #283"...

Or how about this one which is more of a modern take of his classic version...

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 2 Genera11

Of course I don't the see harm if they can blend the classic version with the donner version since thats the one everybody remembers which I have to admit Terence Stamp's portrayal was truely memorable and iconic.

Here's a perfect example of...

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 2 Genera12

But enough about this...

Now as for the news about Zod being confirmed as the villain or perhaps one of the villains I'm not even sure what reaction to go with, either go with a positive one or a negative one since we definitly already heard from alot of fans that Zod has already been used in "Superman II" (Which is indeed true) and fearing the possibility of a rehash or another kind of rehash considering that "Superman Returns" was a rehash of the first film. But all I can say is if Zod is set to appear although I would perfer to have him in future sequels than in a first installment (It work for the Joker in "The Dark Knight") along with Brainiac they better display something different and original but I also hope that he's not the only villain and I'm not just talking about Lex or expecting other Kryptonian villains for that matter!

As for Batman, I know some like Nolan's version, some don't, even on this forum. I don't have a problem with that. Personally my favorite Bat-film is the original 1989 Burton film. However, for me it was downhill from there. I certainly liked Jack Nicholson's portrayal of the Joker better than Heath Ledger's even though there were things I didn't agree with, such as killing Bruce Wayne's parents. What I did like about the Batman Begins reboot though was the effort to portray that more like it was in the comics, i.e., Joe Chill. I also liked how they saved their 'ace-in-the-hole', i.e., the Joker, for the sequel. In other words, it gave Batman a foundation upon which to build, if you will. The TDK came along a made a cool billion! Although I think we all understand why it made that billion. It certainly wasn't because of Christian Bale. And like I said, I know some don't like Nolan's 'ultra-realism' & that's fine; to each his own I suppose. I did however like the way that they set that up.

Another thing about Two-Face. Even if Nolan keeps him dead, it certainly was a much better version than that in BATMAN FOREVER as portrayed by Tommy Lee Jones & that's no reflection on Jones who is also a great actor, but that version was obviously too campy. Aaron Eckhart played a more intense version, which I think is what we want to see in Michael Shannon's portrayal of Zod.

Some of duh apologists are already comparing this Superman reboot to Begins, saying that this is the 'Begins' equivalent for Superman. They may actually be right about that. This thing should get more intense for sequels, just like TDK did with Batman. Even 'swrighty' made a point at duh Homopage that actually makes sense:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=9565&c_start=0

#97 | Steve Wright on April 11, 2011 8:32am EST
I'm really excited for this casting. If you doubt what this man can bring to the table PLEASE watch Boardwalk Empire. He's incredible and he commands the screen the moment he appears. ZOD NEEDS to have that kind of presence.

As for as the villian being ZOD? This is the first movie. If you start out with Darkseid, where do you go from there? So, you start with villains everyone knows. Lex and Zod....heck you can throw in Metallo if you'd like since he's not really a villain to carry a movie.

Second movie you start to bring in the more fantastical villains..IE Braniac or Parasite..You build towards Darkseid as the final villain of your trilogy.

This will NOT be a rehash of Superman II.

See, he actually made sense! That may be a good point about saving Darkseid for a sequel. Where do you go from there?! Doomsday? Possibly. But in reading these various comments either at SHH or duh Homopage, I remember reading one comment where someone pointed out that before Darkseid appears in a Superman film, he first needs to be pictured in his own film of sorts, i.e., a 'NEW GODS' film, since there's such a complicated backstory there, in other words, you don't wanna just throw Darkseid in without a proper explanation for his being there, which makes sense. I believe that person was suggesting a 'LORD OF THE RINGS' type of treatment for that story but without it being a trilogy necessarily. The point being though, first establish who Darkseid is, then put him in a Superman sequel.

Thoughts?
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:35 pm

non_amos wrote:As for Batman, I know some like Nolan's version, some don't, even on this forum.
Well. Fuck me if I say something you don't want to hear.

I certainly liked Jack Nicholson's portrayal of the Joker better than Heath Ledger's even though there were things I didn't agree with, such as killing Bruce Wayne's parents.
"If the Joker had been created originally in 1939, that's who would have murdererd the Waynes in the comic book."
-- Bob Kane

What I did like about the Batman Begins reboot though was the effort to portray that more like it was in the comics, i.e., Joe Chill.
Yeah, what a classic, unforgettable issue it was when Ra's al-Ghul showed up and trained Batman. I bet we ALL have that one in our collections. I'm also glad that Batman Begins so faithfully translated Henri Ducard from the comics. I'm also glad that Nolan remembered that Ra's al-Ghul is a pissed Irishman with a mad-on for modern civilization, JUST as he ALWAYS was in the comics.

Yeah, Nolan, what a champ!

Another thing about Two-Face. Even if Nolan keeps him dead, it certainly was a much better version than that in BATMAN FOREVER as portrayed by Tommy Lee Jones & that's no reflection on Jones who is also a great actor, but that version was obviously too campy. Aaron Eckhart played a more intense version, which I think is what we want to see in Michael Shannon's portrayal of Zod.
All live action versions of Two Face up to now have sucked so badly they have their own event horizon. And yeah, that includes TDK's Two Face.

Thoughts?
Yeah. Darkseid's only as complicated as you make him. You don't need to translate 100% of his backstory onto the big screen, just give the audience enough to know what a threat he really is. If that takes a director more than three scenes to do, he needs to find a new profession.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:06 pm

I think they should go with a visual similar to this for General Zod(Minus the guns):
Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 2 Equilibrium_ver2
But add the Kryptonian symbol for Zod on his left chest, preferably in red.
Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 2 Z-2

And for those of you who haven't seen 'Equilibrium', make sure you do.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:44 pm

More Shannon on 'Boardwalk':

And:

I am seriously looking forward to what he will bring to the Reboot.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks, Puncher. You just HAD to post those videos, didn't you? I can't leave it at that so now I'm, ah, acquiring the other episodes. Thanks Punch, you're real friend, lemme tell ya... Smile
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:20 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Thanks, Puncher. You just HAD to post those videos, didn't you? I can't leave it at that so now I'm, ah, acquiring the other episodes. Thanks Punch, you're real friend, lemme tell ya... Smile

More than welcome!Happy

Luckily for me, I have "On Demand" with my cable, and it had episodes 1-12 of 'Boardwalk Empire'. I watched them all on 2 consecutive Saturdays. 1-6 on one, 7-12 on the other. Great, great show. I'm sure Shannon being in this will delay the next season, or at least HIS characters involvement, but I'm cool with that....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:10 am

Well since Zod will be in the film it's obvious he'll have the same powers as Supes since he's a Kryptonian just like Supes is however I think it alittle change of pace will be fitting if they have Supes & Zod have different levels of strength & speed rather than being on equal terms. Since Zod is a Kryptonian General he'll have to be aleast slightly stronger than Supes with the edition of him being more skilled in armed & unarmed combat but however there's also a chance of him being slightly slower than Supes in regards to speed which is something Supes will actually have more advantage in along with using his wits and his own unique style of fighting in order to gain the upper hand.

In theory, Kryptonians under yellow sunlight may have the same exact powers as Supes but I think that there should be a condition that Kryptonians have different levels of strength & speed depending on their standard physical prowess. Since every human on Earth is not on equal terms when it comes to physical prowess it should makes sense for Kryptonians to be on that same route.
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:58 am

I've thought about that a little and my idea for doing another "Zod + two other Kryptonians come to Earth" story would be to establish that they have different powers from Superman. I'm no biologist but it made sense to me that yellow sun radiation might affect different Kryptonians in different ways. That could translate to each person having different types of powers. I recognize that ain't how things went down in the comics but it'd be an opportunity to vary the types of effects you're using and having a "fuzzy, comic book science" way of explaining it.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:53 pm

Actually Zod & crew did have some different powers in SUPERMAN 2. They had LEVITATION abilities! They'd just point at the guy, the white beam would come out of their finger & lift the guy into the air. However, that power has been criticized by duh apologists. They could also disappear & reappear in that little 'psych' game they played with Superman. And who could forget Superman's CELLOPHANE S?! But let's not forget either, in SUPERMAN 4, we had Superman restoring the Great Wall of China with BRICK-O-VISION & that one can't be blamed on Donner. However, I'm sure that those powers are not what people want to see.

I've also thought of something else. Since no one wants to hear 'kneel before Zod' anymore, then imagine this. We have Michael Shannon playing a NAZI style Zod, very intense. No 'self-serving' speeches, no 'sissy-kicks'. When he engages Superman in battle, it's BATTLE! Slamming each other with 18-wheelers & the like! And imagine this 'Nazi' Zod, instead of 'kneel before Zod', he makes statements to both Superman & the entire world like, "I SHALL BRING THIS PLANET TO ITS' KNEES!!!!!" And then he proceeds to make a worthwhile effort to do so!

Yep. It could WORK! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:20 pm

non_amos wrote:Actually Zod & crew did have some different powers in SUPERMAN 2. They had LEVITATION abilities! They'd just point at the guy, the white beam would come out of their finger & lift the guy into the air. However, that power has been criticized by duh apologists. They could also disappear & reappear in that little 'psych' game they played with Superman. And who could forget Superman's CELLOPHANE S?! But let's not forget either, in SUPERMAN 4, we had Superman restoring the Great Wall of China with BRICK-O-VISION & that one can't be blamed on Donner. However, I'm sure that those powers are not what people want to see.
I think Superman also used the Force to make Lacy's doorbell ring in S4 as well.

The point is that a lot of those "new powers" seemed to stem more from ignorance than innovation. Maybe I'm wrong though.

I've also thought of something else. Since no one wants to hear 'kneel before Zod' anymore, then imagine this. We have Michael Shannon playing a NAZI style Zod, very intense. No 'self-serving' speeches, no 'sissy-kicks'. When he engages Superman in battle, it's BATTLE! Slamming each other with 18-wheelers & the like! And imagine this 'Nazi' Zod, instead of 'kneel before Zod', he makes statements to both Superman & the entire world like, "I SHALL BRING THIS PLANET TO ITS' KNEES!!!!!" And then he proceeds to make a worthwhile effort to do so!

Yep. It could WORK! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
In the late 80's, the Superman books went through a storyline called The Supergirl Saga. In short, three Kryptonians from the Phantom Zone wreaked havoc on an alternate Earth (without anyone around to stop them). You really got a good sense of just how totally screwed mankind would be if a Kryptonian ever went rogue. The Kryptonians killed pretty much everyone on the entire planet, except for some hold outs in Smallville. Obviously you can't have quite that much devastation in a film but hopefully it'd be more than them having a skirmish in a small Idaho town, invading the White House and redesigning Mt. Rushmore.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:05 pm

In the late 80's, the Superman books went through a storyline called The Supergirl Saga. In short, three Kryptonians from the Phantom Zone wreaked havoc on an alternate Earth (without anyone around to stop them). You really got a good sense of just how totally screwed mankind would be if a Kryptonian ever went rogue. The Kryptonians killed pretty much everyone on the entire planet, except for some hold outs in Smallville. Obviously you can't have quite that much devastation in a film but hopefully it'd be more than them having a skirmish in a small Idaho town, invading the White House and redesigning Mt. Rushmore.

You're referring to the 'Pocket Universe' storyline that I believe actually originated with SUPERBOY.

I initially started reading John Byrne's reboot up until a certain point but then lost track. However, I think that that storyline actually reached its' fruition around Superman #22 (Vol.2) or so. I also believe Byrne quit Superman AND DC around that time if I'm not mistaken. I believe there were 'creative differences' or some such. Knowing Byrne, they probably just couldn't get along. Case in point. Back in the day, I used to read interviews with Byrne in the various comics mags since we obviously didn't have the Internet then. Anyway, Byrne was very 'self-confident', to put it nicely. Arrogant would probably be a more accurate term. For example, when asked what issue he would start on, he said "#1!" He was starting the whole thing over. Also, there would be NO SUPERBOY; it would simply be going from Clark in Smallville to Superman as an adult, no career as Superboy! When asked about the LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES, I believe Byrne's explanation was that the Legion would've been inspired by 'the LEGEND of A Superboy'., i.e., apparently Superman's legend grew over time in such a way that Superboy was just a MYTH that had inspired them. When Byrne was asked about the CRISIS & if he would explain that, what with his reboot being like a different Superman, Byrne's response was like, "I don't know. I really don't want to. That's something I'll have to talk to DC's editors about."

Apperently he did talk to the editors because around #8, guess who shows up to the party? SUPERBOY! And not just any Superboy, but a 'pre-Crisis' type of Superboy who was so powerful he could even travel through TIME, which the 'rebooted Superman' stated that even he himself could not do. Unfortunately I think it was right after that that I failed to keep up with the story, but from what I can gather later on, it seems that somehow, even though there was now ONE UNIVERSE, some being, the 'Time Trapper' or some such, cut a 'sliver' off & formed his own universe, complete with Superboy, etc., just like old times. Supposedly this was the Superboy that the Legion met, not Superman, who had no recollection of a history with them. I believe at some point Superboy tried to take Superman down with 'pocket Kryptonite' but it didn't work! Superman examined it with his micro-vision & discovered that it had a different composition from his own green K on rebooted Earth, so it had NO effect on him! Interestingly, in more recent times, I believe DC revealed this Time Trapper to actually be an aged SUPERBOY-PRIME, who I believe ended up being killed by his younger self, I think.

I think Supergirl, the fake one, fit in there somewhere but like I said, I lost track, missed issues, practically quit, whatever. Anyway, I recall reading online I believe that Superboy ended up dying to save his Earth. Somewhere or another Zod & company fit into this. When they tried to conquer this Earth, although there were no 'official' superheroes, they were fought back by the likes of CIVILIANS Bruce Wayne, etc., in spaceships, but Zod & crew destroyed this Earth anyway & ripped away it's atmosphere. Somewhere (I missed it) but Superman took away their powers with 'pocket GOLD K'. Zod vowed to Superman that he would find a way to get their powers back & when he did, he'd come to Superman's Earth & destroy it also. This is the point where Superman EXECUTED the Phantom Zone criminals by exposing them to their green K & leaving them with it. However, I think DC brought Zod back later as a ghost or something and/or a different appearance.

You see, Byrne didn't want to use certain 'elements' but apparently DC forced him to. I don't know if that's why he departed or not but it makes sense. It was a relatively short run. Also, some variation of that could be used for a FILM but it would have to be handled differently because most of all, I'm sure TPTB don't wanna make Superman a KILLER in this reboot.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:33 pm

Holy shit.

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I didn't want to go into that kind of detail to make the broader point of how truly dangerous rogue Kryptonians ought to be. Plus, you clearly already know 99% of it.

The only hair-splitting stuff I'd invoke is why Byrne left the books. What he says is that DC promised him the moon to do a run on Superman. They even demanded he reboot the continuity, even he was willing to work within the existing continuity of the time. But they insisted on doing a reboot but immediately had second thoughts when the fans and the press found out what was going on (before any books came out). From there, they gave Byrne a lot of bureaucratic headaches to deal with.

Byrne also got torqued off that the Pre-Crisis Superman was the one being licensed. If some kid bought a Superman t-shirt, odds were good that it'd have Curt Swan or Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez art rather than Byrne himself, Jerry Ordway or newer, more relevant stuff. One legendary quote from Dick Giordano to Byrne was "you have to understand, there are now TWO Supermen; the one you draw and the one we license".

Byrne's estimation now seems to be that DC wanted all the hype and media attention of a "big event" but they didn't want to actually change anything related to the character. They wanted Byrne to come on to the books and lend his talent and rockstar name but not really do anything of drastic importance.

Shit, that's actually a pretty decent summary for the state of the industry today. The more things change...

As to the Pocket Universe thing, my understanding was that nobody involved with the Legion books had really pondered the longterm ramifications of Byrne's reboot. Byrne said he reached out and attempted to coordinate with them but all he got was "it's cool man, we've got it all under control". So Byrne went ahead with his reboot, eliminated Superboy and then a few months later got a phone call from a freaked out Legion editor who'd only just realized how badly Byrne's MOS reboot ass-raped the Legion.

So they thought up the concept of the Pocket Universe to explain the "Superboy inspired and interacted with the Legion" shit... but then, because they'd just eliminated all traces of alternate universes, they had to utterly destroy it right away once the continuity snafu had been dealt with. It's no coincidence in my mind that the Pocket Universe's every living inhabitant died during that storyline and the Earth itself was rendered uninhabitable.

As for how all this stuff affected the Legion, they've arguably never recovered from it (I wouldn't say that but others would and have).

How best could this all have been avoided? Maybe it's Monday morning quarterbacking on my part but if DC's upper brass had enforced a company-wide reboot on all books starting in January of some year (pick one), things might've turned out differently. I can understand the reluctance for some people to do that because you'd be throwing out a LOT of good Pre-Crisis concepts and stories (the Legion, Dick Grayson becoming Nightwing, the death of Barry Allen, etc) but, at the same time, if the idea is to simplify the continuity, well, you never made omelets without breaking a few eggs, right?

Hell, I still think there's juice in that idea. Batman's continuity is ten different kinds of fucked up nowadays. It's anybody's guess where the 1970's storylines fit in to anything, esp after Grant Morrison's run. There's simply no reconciling Superman's Pre-Crisis continuity with his Post-Crisis continuity (I don't give a flying shit what Geoff Johns thinks). It never made sense to me that Wally West remembered the events of Crisis while Superman clearly didn't. So on and so forth.

Yeah, you'd be losing some neat stuff in a company-wide reboot (Tim Drake in general, Kyle Rayner in general, Hal Jordan becoming Parallax, Barbara Gordon getting paralyzed, the death of Superman, so on and so forth) but what you'd gain is a universal starting point for everybody.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:06 pm

Some interesting stuff. I too can't wait to see what shannon zod will turn out to be. As for the stuff with writers and all that. So sucks for them with all the bs crap they have to do/go through from corparate. It is one thing we always hear about on history of comics or stories about x writer/artist back in the past. And same true today.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:57 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:More than welcome!Happy
Never said I was THANKING you. Smile

But seriously, the show's friggin badass. Really, the weakest link is Steve Buscemi. I know he's supposed to be this mega-actor that womens' panties get wet over but (A) I never saw it and (B) he just doesn't come off like a killer as Thompson is supposed to. I just don't buy him in the role.

But everyone else? They range from "decent" to "perfection". I've not seen much fiction set in prohibition times (or much non-fiction for that matter) so this is neat stuff just for that.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:51 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:It really makes me laugh. This ISN'T a Singerman, where we actually SAW AND HEARD things about the film when we developed "bad feelings". All we have heard are NAMES, and Oscar-caliber NAMES at that.

Yeah. When casting news emerged for Singerman you'd be forgiven for thinking they were actually remaking "Can't Stop The Music"

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:58 am

thecolorsblend wrote:
I certainly liked Jack Nicholson's portrayal of the Joker better than Heath Ledger's even though there were things I didn't agree with, such as killing Bruce Wayne's parents.
"If the Joker had been created originally in 1939, that's who would have murdererd the Waynes in the comic book."
-- Bob Kane

I think you'll find S&S poured similar praise on Superman The Movie and it's "liberties"

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:00 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Never said I was THANKING you. Smile

True, but deep down we both knew you were....Fun

But seriously, the show's friggin badass. Really, the weakest link is Steve Buscemi. I know he's supposed to be this mega-actor that womens' panties get wet over but (A) I never saw it and (B) he just doesn't come off like a killer as Thompson is supposed to. I just don't buy him in the role.

How far into the season have you gone? Because he starts off as more "sympathetic", but he gets colder & colder as it goes on.

But everyone else? They range from "decent" to "perfection". I've not seen much fiction set in prohibition times (or much non-fiction for that matter) so this is neat stuff just for that.

It has a lot to do with Scorsese being the Executive Producer. The man knows his gangsters....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:36 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:How far into the season have you gone? Because he starts off as more "sympathetic", but he gets colder & colder as it goes on.
No kidding. Just finished episode #6. That last maybe, oh, minute or so?

Holy shit!
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:00 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:No kidding. Just finished episode #6. That last maybe, oh, minute or so?

Holy shit!

It gets even better.

Wait until you see what happens in the season finale.....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:31 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:No kidding. Just finished episode #6. That last maybe, oh, minute or so?

Holy shit!

It gets even better.

Wait until you see what happens in the season finale.....
Starting in on the season finale.

I realize this isn't Shannon's show but he is THE MAN. The guy. Has. Chops. That's all there is to it.

Anyway, starting the finale now.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:38 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Starting in on the season finale.

I realize this isn't Shannon's show but he is THE MAN. The guy. Has. Chops. That's all there is to it.

He really does. How'd you like the "baptism" scene?

And with what you have seen, can you envision him going over-the-top like Terrence Stamp did? It WORKED for Stamp, it WOULDN'T work for Shannon.

Anyway, starting the finale now.

You'll love it.

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next