Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man of Steel Box Office Watch

+2
James Stocks
thecolorsblend
6 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Man of Steel Box Office Watch - Page 4 Empty Re: Man of Steel Box Office Watch

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:00 am

Yeah, saw the Box Office Mojo report a while ago. The Courier thing was new though. So BOM is predicting $700'ish million worldwide for MOS? I have no real reason to question that but it seems awfully high. But I look forward to finding out.

You know what the best parts of MOS are? First, no question about sequel prospects and, second, wondering just what new awesomeness Snyder has in mind for MOS II.

You know, everything Singerman never came close to giving us.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm coming back to this.
non_amos wrote:
Box Office Mojo wrote:http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3698&p=.htm

After setting a new opening weekend record for the month of June, Man of Steel ended the month in the top spot with $248.6 million. It's already out-grossed 2006's Superman Returns ($200 million), and despite a steep second weekend drop it's still in line for a final total around $300 million. Add in strong overseas grosses (it should get to $400 million) and this is a major win for Warner Bros.
I thought the $300 million figure seemed out of bounds for a while and now I can't figure out why. When in doubt, consult the numbers. I'll spare you the estimates, the timelines and the projections and simply say that my numbers are conservative almost to the point of absurdity and I just don't see a way that MOS doesn't hit $300 million in the US by the end of July. Assuming I'm right (and who knows?), it should reach that point at least a week before the first Iron Man did... which tracks rather nicely with Man of Steel's overall outpacing of Iron Man.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:30 pm

-- From Box Office Mojo
MOS Domestic Estimate as of Jul. 5, 2013: $263,691,000 (22 days in wide release)
Iron Man at Day 22- $232,167,416
The Amazing Spider-Man Domestic Total Gross: $232,198,265 (22 days in wide release)
The Amazing Spider-Man Domestic Total Gross: $262,030,663 (104 days; final gross)

I wanted to include day 22 for the first Iron Man and Spider-Man plus Spider-Man's final day grosses as comparisons against Man of Steel's current box office run. Forget about Singerman, that's been old news for ages now. Batman Begins? Same deal.

Can't wait to see what's in store for MOS II. You know, the sequel that truly is "just around the corner".
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:16 pm

Hey, get a load of this:

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/45551/man-of-steel-prequel-could-star-russell-crowes-jor-el/?utm_content=buffer987a8&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer

Man Of Steel prequel could star Russell Crowe’s Jor-El

by James Hoare, 6 July 2013

Russell Crowe is up for reprising Jor-El in a Man Of Steel prequel set on Krypton

Speaking on Twitter, Russell Crowe, who played Superman’s father Jor-El in Man Of Steel, encouraged fans who want to see a prequel that shows more of the amazing alien creatures and landscapes we saw at the beginning of the movie, we should let the studio know.

“A lot of you asking about a Krypton prequel, if that’s something you feel strongly about, let Legendary Pictures know your thoughts.”

There’s plenty of scope for one, given what we saw of Krypton and its society, and there’s clearly a story to be told about Jor-El’s relationship with Michael Shannon’s brutal General Zod, and the decline of Kryptonian society – perhaps introducing Brainiac and the Bottle City of Kandor, to lead into Man Of Steel 2 or 3.

The star that he wasn’t trying to instigate a grassroots campaign, but “If it came up, I’d give the tights another go.

Crowe is clearly invested in the character and the South Sydney Rabbitohs, the rugby league team he owns, have released special commemorative House of El home jerseys:

Man of Steel Box Office Watch - Page 4 Zjor-e10

So Russel Crowe is all for a Krypton prequel huh? Well, that may be well & good from a 'sci-fi' viewpoint but from a realistic viewpoint? I doubt it, especially if it would cause us to not get MAN OF STEEL 2. Maybe MOS did give Crowe the itch to do more like films & that's fine. Put him in more flashbacks in the sequel. Ditto for Kevin Costner. But an entire film about Krypton's history with no Superman?! I just don't think that would work. It could be interesting & I get the point. Let's explore this version of Krypton with all it's 'wildlife' & everything, possibly including 'Easter eggs' to Brainiac & Doomsday. Like I said, from a sci-fi view it'd be great, maybe a 'Star Wars' type film? But if it'd get in the way of the sequel, then no. Now if Legendary & duh brothers want to do this independent from MOS like a side-project to 'complement' the new MOS universe without interfering adversely, then go for it. It's your money. Just don't jeopardize the sequel in the process.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:47 pm

I quite disagree. There's a fear that MOS II may be "rushed". How well justified that is remains to be seen but it does exist as Superman is currently the only Cinematic DC Universe franchise that's been developed.

Well, suppose you made a World of Krypton prequel. Do it for $80'ish million ("cheap" by today's standards). The story basically writes itself. You've got Brainiac's impending invasion and Zod's attempts to organize a resistance with the High Council (or whoever the people in the hats were) countermanding him at every step of the way and basically fucking everything up. As all that's going on, Jor-El and Lara conceive Kal-El. On top of that, Jor-El discovers Krypton is about to go kablooie and attempts to alert the Council but obviously they have bigger shit to deal with at that moment.

How do you work a shared universe aspect into this? Simple! Show that Tomar Re has been dispatched by the Guardians to deal with Brainiac's invasion. Through no fault of Tomar's, he is unsuccessful at thwarting Brainiac, who makes off with Kandor. This half-ass ties in to the comics but not really. Although sort of.

Jor-El smack-talked Krypton a lot. Hubris, bad judgment, etc. Let's SEE that now. WHY was Krypton's destruction less a tragedy and more a mercy-killing? You've got 90 minutes; SHOW us!

You drop the movie into theaters April or so to spare it too much competition from the big blockbusters, market it as a lead-in for JLA (the New Gods/Darkseid angle) and keep hammering away on developing MOS II which could (ideally in my opinion) build toward a World's Finest movie before JLA. At that budget, audiences will really have to not be interested in order for it to lose any money.

Who would direct? Goyer is already balls deep in the Cinematic DCU, he's directed before and he obviously knows the material. How much harm can he really do with $80 million? Plus, it's a nice little bone to throw him for the $3'ish billion he's earned WB over the years. On top of that, WOK keeps the brand in the public eye without overexposing it. You think this can't be done for $80 million? Shit, you've got the thing 90% designed, cast and visualized just by showing up. 10:1, you could knock something like that out in time for a spring 2015 release if you get to it right now.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:12 am

Just got this from a panel over at Supermanhomepage.com that it has been declared that MOS is the most successful comic-based reboot film, in terms of BO results. After indeed out grossing the likes of other reboot films like "Batman Begins", "The Incredible Hulk" & "The Amazing Spider-Man" in BO results it's a safe bet that MOS is definitely going places from here on out now that it's the most highest-grossing non-sequel film out there! Plus, it's success through critical receptions from general audiences is pretty much in paired with "Batman Begins" and even "The Incredible Hulk" despite some negative responses from mainstream critics.
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:22 am

Man of Steel Domestic Total as of 07.07.2013: $271,206,000 (Estimate; Day 24)
Foreign: $315,600,000
Worldwide: $586,806,000

I'm running out of hyperbole so I'll just let the numbers speak for themselves.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:59 pm

I don't know how accurate this is yet as far as actual figures but MOS has grossed over 600 million worldwide:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2012.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $280,995,000   45.4%
+ Foreign: $338,200,000   54.6%

Worldwide: $619,195,000 
Domestic Summary
Opening Weekend: $116,619,362
(#1 rank, 4,207 theaters, $27,720 average)
% of Total Gross: 41.5%
> View All 5 Weekends
Widest Release: 4,207 theaters
In Release: 31 days / 4.4 weeks

And it ain't far from 300 million domestic. How then again is this film a flop?
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:56 pm

And THE LONE RANGER doesn't look to break the $100 barrier. Again, how times have changed.

Yeah. MOS at $600 million and counting. When all is said and done it will have DOUBLED Singerman's WW total. This sure as hell ain't a flop.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:18 pm

James Stocks wrote:And THE LONE RANGER doesn't look to break the $100 barrier. Again, how times have changed.

Yeah. MOS at $600 million and counting. When all is said and done it will have DOUBLED Singerman's WW total. This sure as hell ain't a flop.
You think MOS will go beyond $782 million? I'm not ridiculing or questioning you; I think that would be awesome but I don't think I've seen that figure pop up anywhere else.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:21 pm

Maybe not exactly, but I think it will get close. Either way, it's impressive where it is at this point.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:42 pm

non_amos wrote:I don't know how accurate this is yet as far as actual figures but MOS has grossed over 600 million worldwide:

Box Office Mojo wrote:http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2012.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $280,995,000 45.4%
+ Foreign: $338,200,000 54.6%

= Worldwide: $619,195,000

Domestic Summary
Opening Weekend: $116,619,362
(#1 rank, 4,207 theaters, $27,720 average)
% of Total Gross: 41.5%
> View All 5 Weekends

Widest Release: 4,207 theaters

In Release: 31 days / 4.4 weeks

And it ain't far from 300 million domestic. How then again is this film a flop?
It's a flop because something something Iron Man 3.

Checked out the numbers on Thursday or Friday and figured MOS would most probably break $600 million worldwide by tonight. Sorry people but inflation can only account for so much of that... and even when you factor for inflation, MOS has still beaten the fuck out of Singerman (at least in the States; internationally is above my paygrade but I can't see how that would be much different because).

Despicable Me 2 has begun tracking ahead of MOS. At day 12, the estimate is $229 and change. At day 12, MOS was at $219 million. Don't want to sound like an "apologist" for our side but there are some caveats there (DM2 had the long 4th of July opening "weekend" like Singerman did; is anybody arguing that MOS didn't lose at least $30'ish million in the second week and probably $10'ish in the third to competition which DM2 isn't facing and won't face?) but those are the (fairly) hard numbers.

MOS has a lot to be proud of. It has ably survived incredible competition, it smashed Singerman's theatrical run into a thousand pieces and scattered the splinters to the wind (which is the only record I ever cared about). Plus, only sequels have outgrossed it so far this summer.

If that's not a track record to hold your head up about, I don't know what is.

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:17 am

MOS was so much better than THE DARK KNIGHT RISES that it ain't even funny! So how then does TDKR not only make over a billion internationally but also top TDK? Yet MOS is the better film. But there's no accounting for taste I guess. Rolling Eyes
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:02 am

TDKR was a sequel, and those always make more bank especially when the previous film was popular. First installments rarely do as good with few exceptions and it looks like MOS won't be one of those, but its still making good enough business in the vein of IRON MAN. Heck, it's already surpassed BATMAN BEGINS, for what it's worth.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:24 am

James Stocks wrote:TDKR was a sequel, and those always make more bank especially when the previous film was popular. First installments rarely do as good with few exceptions and it looks like MOS won't be one of those, but its still making good enough business in the vein of IRON MAN. Heck, it's already surpassed BATMAN BEGINS, for what it's worth.

Yeah, you've got a point there. It was a sequel & like it or not, Heath 'killed' as the Joker so it had people anticipating how duh Nolan was gonna finish his trilogy. So it was riding TDK's coattails. Much like Iron Man 3 was doing with Avengers. But in the case of the latter I've seen a lot of negative comments about IM3 from the fanbase. While many liked the film it seems to have equally split those fans with many thinking it was garbage. I enjoyed it but I like MOS far better.

But back to TDKR. Sequel or not, it had one of the weakest interpretations of a Batman villain to date in Hardly Bane. Or a villain period. I'll cut to the chase. Who was better, Bane or General Zod? Tom Hardly or Michael Shannon? I rest my case.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:11 am

non_amos wrote:But back to TDKR. Sequel or not, it had one of the weakest interpretations of a Batman villain to date in Hardly Bane. Or a villain period. I'll cut to the chase. Who was better, Bane or General Zod? Tom Hardly or Michael Shannon? I rest my case.
And I mine.

Still, I read something the other day or week or month or year that said Nolan pretty much phoned everything in after BB. The rationale went that BB went out of its way to be different from what came before, introduce new characters, do a hard reboot of the universe, etc, and the thinking goes that Nolan originally wanted to pass the baton to a filmmaker to then take the series into a less realistic direction (which could have happened after BB). But between popular acclaim and studio enticements, Nolan came back for two more movies than he really wanted to do... and rather than investing any effort in developing unseen characters from the comics, he basically copied what the previous franchise did- Joker, Catwoman, Two Face, Hardly Bane, etc. Talia, being derivative of Ra's, doesn't count.

Frankly... well, I couldn't argue too much with that. I thought the dude made a compelling case. If I can find it online again, I'll post a link/copy the text here.

As to MOS box office stuff... Monday and Tuesday had it at $500'ish thousand. From here on in, it's clear the box office will really begin to taper. Consequently, updates to the running tally in this thread will probably become fewer. Looks like MOS will land around $290 million. I would count that a success no matter what (second most successful movie of the summer? Time will tell) but considering the state of the franchise as well as the massive competition MOS faced, anybody who isn't proud of Man of Steel's numbers should have his damn head examined.

As Superman fans, I must say that we Realists have all been through a fair amount of unnecessary BS, drama and acrimony since 2006 but it was an absolute fucking honor to do this with you all. If this is the way things had to go (and it seems it was), you guys are the crew I would've wanted to do it with. Too bad SSS, The Good Father and others aren't with us but, hey, you never know what the future may bring, right?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:26 pm

Well said.

And 'MOS' has yet to open in Japan. I expect it to do very well there.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:38 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:And 'MOS' has yet to open in Japan. I expect it to do very well there.
Not to put you on the spot but what do you figure it'll do there? Singerman pulled $11.3 million; I can't imagine MOS wouldn't do at least as much.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:27 am

-- MOS (as of 07.19.2013)
Domestic- $283,686,000
Foreign- $338,200,000
Worldwide- $621,886,000
URL- http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2012.htm

Updated weekend US numbers will probably be posted sometime on Sunday and then an international update on Monday.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:42 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:
Apologist Puncher wrote:And 'MOS' has yet to open in Japan. I expect it to do very well there.
Not to put you on the spot but what do you figure it'll do there? Singerman pulled $11.3 million; I can't imagine MOS wouldn't do at least as much.

I think $25 million, up to $30 million is possible.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:26 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:

I think $25 million, up to $30 million is possible.
Mmm, that'd put MOS well past $650 million worldwide. Not bad business. Yeesh, we won't even find out until 08.13.2013!
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:22 am

Domestic- $286,807,505
Foreign- $357,050,000
Worldwide- $643,857,505
Weekend #7- $749,233

So MOS just had the first sub-million dollar weekend. Considering the competition it faced early on, the downward motion shouldn't be a big surprise. I forget exactly how this stacks up to the first Iron Man but my guess is that MOS stopped tracking with it a week or two ago and in Weekend #7 Iron Man was still well above the $1 million dollar mark. So that's a bummer but, as I say, to be expected.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:44 pm

I've said a few times on this board that I'm out of the box office prediction game because I've been waaaaaaay wrong in the past. I forget what my exact estimates were but I thought Singerman would've been more successful based on the character's name and that TDK would be lucky to cross $300 million.

Obviously both of those proved to be completely full of shit.

Even so, I think the better way to have phrased it in retrospect is that I've given up publicizing my estimates -- which are mostly based on my reaction to trailers and stuff as well as how other people react. In that way... well, I was wrong again about MOS. But in a good way. I figured the movie would do $250 or so in the US and maybe another $200-250 internationally. It would do better both in the individual territories and worldwide than Singerman... but perhaps not drastically so as MOS would have to overcome the canard that Superman is a dull character, and that would likely only be achieved through WOM, which might not happen until the Blu-Ray came along.

Obviously I was off on both counts. MOS is at $287 million in the US $357 million internationally and $644 worldwide. Given that Japan hasn't seen the movie yet, there's no way MOS won't far exceed $650 million worldwide. Singerman did $11.3 million in Japan, TDK did $14.5 million, TDKRises did $24 million, Avengers did $45 million and Iron Man 3 did $25 million. Not sure what, if anything, those numbers portend for MOS but the point is that Japan has considerable input on a movie's international gross. It's not a nothing territory for any film (while a lot of the Middle East and Eastern Europe are). The fact that MOS has yet to open in Japan means something.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:27 am

I hope MOS kills in Japan! I haven't read the article yet but there's a link over at SHH about Pacific Rim possibly getting a sequel due to it doing well in Japan. What I don't understand is why it was released there before MOS?! And wouldn't the people there already have pirated copies from China? Whatever the case I hope it does well & just bulks up the box office even more.

And if they can leave Singerman in theaters long enough to reach 200 million domestic then I say leave MOS there long enough to hit 300 million. Fair enough?
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:45 am

I'm not sure if they'll be able to keep MOS around til October. The competition has increased so much over the years that it's difficult to pull that off now. The more the film loses the number of theaters, the less it makes. At this rate, doesn't seem like it'll make it to $300 million. I predicted that it would cross that barrier, but it looks like it'll probably make $290. However, WB did get pretty desperate with SR where they actually had to resort to increasing SR's theater count just to give it a big enough boost to ensure that it crossed $200 million. Would they do the same for MOS for $300? I'd do that, if only just to get it out of the 200 club and let it cross one more barrier that SR had no chance of crossing.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next