Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man of Steel Box Office Watch

+2
James Stocks
thecolorsblend
6 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Man of Steel Box Office Watch Empty Man of Steel Box Office Watch

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:33 am

Some ground rules for this thread.

* Post what you like but include a link.

* Post what you like but include a representative fucking sample of the story (if not the entire story itself) in your post.

* If you don't know how to do either of those things, turn your computer off and never turn it back on.

* Your own commentary about a story/link is strictly optional but absolutely encouraged.

Last edited by Apologist Puncher on Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:30 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Caps....)
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Man of Steel Box Office Watch Empty Re: Man of Steel Box Office Watch

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:33 am

Deadline.com wrote:FRIDAY 7:30 PM, 3RD UPDATE: It’s already setting records for the biggest opening for June and the second biggest weekend opening of 2013 as Warner Bros’ and Legendary Pictures’ Man Of Steel (4,207 theaters with 3D in 3,357 venues) is flying high at the domestic box office today. My sources have now increased their estimates to $51M Friday, $124.4M for the three-day weekend, and $134.4M for the four-day cume through Sunday. The only other movie in the North American marketplace in wide release, Sony/Columbia Pictures’ This Is The End (3,055 theaters) which opened Wednesday as a counter-programming apocalyptic comedy is looking like $8M for Friday, $20.8M for the 3-day weekend, and $33.1M for the 5-day cume. Refined numbers later.

Man Of Steel Box Office Opening WeekendFRIDAY 1 PM, 2ND UPDATE: “We are having a big day!” a Warner Bros exec just gushed to me. “Movie’s working!” exulted another exec at the studio. No official numbers yet. But my sources say that, based on matinee trends, Man Of Steel (4,207 theaters with 3D in 3,357 venues) is looking like $42.5M to $47.5M today, plus however the studio accounts for the $9M from Friday midnights and the $12M of corporate/Wal-Mart sales screenings from Thursday 7 PM shows. My sources have 3-day weekend estimates ranging from $114M to $120M with 4-day cumes ranging from $126M to $132M. ”It’s way behind Iron Man 3 but way ahead of Superman Returns,” a rival studio exec tells me. (Iron Man 3 kicked off Summer 2013 with a $174.1M opening weekend which ranked 2nd all-time behind last year’s The Avengers with $207.4M) That wildly overperforms Man Of Steel‘s pre-release tracking which has ranged from Warner Bros’ lowball $80sM aimed a managing expectations to rival studio projections around $95M-$100M.

FRIDAY 7 AM UPDATE: Not even torrential downpours in NYC could dampen enthusiastic crowds forming long lines for Thursday late shows. Warner Bros and Legendary Pictures just announced its hotly anticipated Man Of Steel opened with a midnight show of $9 million. Combined with $12M from a corporate group sale screening program at 7 PM, this third Superman franchise begins its North American run with a cume of $21M. “Off to a flying start!!!” A studio exec gushed to me just now. The number ranks 7th among late show records, behind only the Harry Potter and Twilight franchises, but ahead of The Hunger Games. It’s also the all-time highest superhero late show record, surpassing The Avengers’ remarkable $18.7M and The Dark Knight‘s $18.5M. The more equal comparison would be June 2005′s Batman Begins which was the first of the trilogy and grossed $1.6M at midnight while June 2006′s Superman Returns reboot made $4.9M and July 2012′s The Amazing Spider-Man redo earned $7.5M. Of course, any such record must come with an asterisk because Hollywood studios recently have interpreted ‘midnights’ as beginning at 7 PM Thursday through midnight and sometimes into early dawn. So that prevents any accurate movie-to-movie direct comparison of late show grosses. IMAX hauled in $1.6M domestic from Man Of Steel late shows from 327 North American locations.

This third Superman franchise goes wide today in a whopping 4,207 locations which is the 2nd widest release ever for a non-sequel: 850 are 2D only, and the remaining venues will play in 3D with a 2D component. Tracking has ranged from Warner Bros’ lowball $80sM aimed a managing expectations to rival studio projections around $95M-$100M. According to both Fandango and MovieTickets.com, domestic advance ticket sales accounted for over 85% of total daily transactions Thursday and today. (“That percentage would have been higher if it weren’t for This Is The End doing 7% of sales today,” says Fandango’s Harry Medved.) Still, even with a longish running time of two hours and 23 minutes, the Chris Nolan-Zack Snyder-David S. Goyer-Henry Cavill tentpole Man Of Steel could pack an unexpectedly stronger punch because of the 3D premium and immense wannasee. It’s almost guaranteed to set a new opening weekend record for the month of June. Superman’s last big screen outing was Superman Returns with a very mediocre five-day opening of $84.6M that stopped Warner Bros from ordering up a sequel. But it scored higher positive reviews of 75% on Rotten Tomatoes than Man Of Steel‘s surprisingly middling 58% seven years later. Then again, this is a critics-proof pic after it took Christopher Nolan’s involvement to make Superman cool again (finally) even though it’s a feel-good movie where the man of steel must save the day against Michael Shannon’s villainous General Zod. And the studio’s masterful marketing campaign filled with mystery (that first teaser barely featured the Metropolis Marvel) really caught the imagination of anyone ever enamored of one of the most popular DC Comics characters ever.

Overseas, my sources tell me records are already breaking around from Asia though Korea (see poster) hasn’t reported grosses yet. Taiwan opened on Wednesday and Man Of Steel grossed a huge NT$23,773,310 ($794,742) nationwide for the all-time highest opening day for any Warner Bros film and the buggest opening day for Chris Nolan. The Philippines opened the film on its Independence Day, also Wednesday, to record results. The film became the biggest opening day ever with P69,284,858 ($1,657,532) comprising 347,626 admissions from 466 screens nationwide. That made Man Of Steel #1 with over 90% market share. In all, Superman is opening in 24 international markets day and date with North America, including 3 Top Ten countries: UK, Korea, and Mexico. Warner Bros will launch an additional 26 markets on the second weekend, including China, France, Germany, Italy, Russia and Spain. Ultimately, the film will be on more than 21,000 screens abroad.

Meanwhile, Fandango surveyed more than 1,000 Man Of Steel ticket-buyers and found that 88% are fans of Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight franchise, 83% said the supporting cast of Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne, and Michael Shannon increased their interest in seeing the movie, 81% claimed the darker interpretation of Superman made them more interested in buying a ticket, 75% cannot wait to see the villain General Zod, 72% are fans of director Zack Snyder’s previous films (300, Watchmen), 69% want to see the lead played by Henry Cavill and not by an established box office superstar. Much more to come all weekend. Counter-programming the Man Of Steel juggernaut this weekend is Sony/Columbia Pictures’ raunchy apocalyptic comedy This Is The End. It received a ‘B+’ CinemaScore from audiences and 82% positive reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and a #1 reception Wednesday. With a dearth of both ‘R’-rated movies or well-received laughers in the marketplace, pic made $7.8M from 3,055 theaters including $2.2M from Tuesday late shows and Wednesday midnights. Projections are for at least mid-$30sM over the next 5 days - which is about the same dollar figure as its $32M negative cost. Read more here.
For more estimates listed by title, see box office results here...

Editor-in-Chief Nikki Finke - tip her here.

URL- http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/man-of-steel-beginning-worldwide-release-record-opening-day-in-the-philippines

Wow, so if you make an action-packed Superman film, people will turn out in droves to see it.

Yes, I'm still kicking Singerman when it's down for the count. And I always will. I suspect Bryan Singer is in for a desperately-needed lesson in humility and respecting one's betters. And I couldn't be happier.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:37 am

If the opening was similar to SR then that would have confirmed my grim suspicion that people were just apathetic of Superman, all that talk about Superman being more a beloved icon than character. The Mickey Mouse of comic books, and such. So it's a relief to hear that it's not only opening big but that audiences have responded well. THIS is what 2006 should have been like, where the Man of Steel rules the summer instead of a bunch of pirates.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:48 am

I was gonna post a link from Variety but I see that this has already been posted & actually this article is more in depth so there's really nothing for me to add except for maybe my 'two cents worth'. What I can't understand for the life of me is why Singerman gets a better rating on ROTTEN TOMATOES than MAN OF STEEL does?! Singerman gets 75% & MOS gets 57%?! And if that ain't bad enough, go to this very page:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_man_of_steel/

Here's a comment from Richard Roeper who incidentally liked Singerman while Roger Ebert didn't:

There's very little humor or joy in this Superman story.

When you click for "Full Review' it takes you to this link which is a video but since it's not Youtube I don't know how to embed it here:

http://www.richardroeper.com/reviews/manofsteel.aspx

Roeper goes on to say that Cavill looks the part but he's a 'stiff on screen whose best quality seems to be to roar like a lion & ball up his fists' or something to that effect. And this is the same guy who liked Singerman, remember that.

There are a number of negative reviews on that site & the one by Roeper is the only one I've checked out so far but those basic comments seem to sum it up: too little humor or romance, too much action! Check it out for yourself, I kid you not! Wait a minute, here's a thought. Are we talking about some lovesick romantic comedy like my wife would like? Or are we talking about SUPERMAN, the king-daddy of all superheroes? Does anyone still wonder why this site still favors SINGERMAN PEEPS?! Mad
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:50 pm

The critics can go piss up a rope for all I care. They lost all credibility with me when they fell in love with Singerman and wrote their little odes to Blandon the Bartender. There's more heart, action and Superman badassitude in any five minutes of Man of Steel than in one hundred Singerman movies.

Audiences agree too. Singerman didn't scrape past $48 million until the Saturday of it's five fucking day opening weekend; meanwhile, Box Office Mojo has Man of Steel at $56 million as of Friday (ie, opening day on a normal weekend). Facts is facts and numbers is numbers. I don't think the box office showdown between MOS and Stalkerman will go very well for 2006's Biggest Star.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:32 pm

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=81650

Thanks to Deadline, we now have an update on Man of Steel's performance at the international box office. After grossing $44 million on Friday in North America, the reboot holds the honour of having the highest Friday June opening of all-time. Despite many recent unimpressive 3D conversions, audiences have flocked to see this fresh take on Superman in any format they can, although it the 3D screens which generated 42% of its total box office revenue. Unofficial projections now have Man of Steel pegged as having a four day opening of $115 - 125 million. The Zack Snyder helmed and Christopher Nolan produced movie is #1 everywhere it has opened across the world with a total of $17.6 million from 24 markets (although the running cume is said to be $25.9 million). It's performed particularly well in the UK with an impressive £3.3 million ($5.2 million). If Man of Steel continues to perform as analysts have predicted, it will have taken around $151 million by tomorrow. Of course, now we just have to wait and see how well it does in week two!
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:06 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=81650

Thanks to Deadline, we now have an update on Man of Steel's performance at the international box office. After grossing $44 million on Friday in North America, the reboot holds the honour of having the highest Friday June opening of all-time. Despite many recent unimpressive 3D conversions, audiences have flocked to see this fresh take on Superman in any format they can, although it the 3D screens which generated 42% of its total box office revenue. Unofficial projections now have Man of Steel pegged as having a four day opening of $115 - 125 million. The Zack Snyder helmed and Christopher Nolan produced movie is #1 everywhere it has opened across the world with a total of $17.6 million from 24 markets (although the running cume is said to be $25.9 million). It's performed particularly well in the UK with an impressive £3.3 million ($5.2 million). If Man of Steel continues to perform as analysts have predicted, it will have taken around $151 million by tomorrow. Of course, now we just have to wait and see how well it does in week two!

And this is where the Singerman will be separated from the SUPERMAN. The 2nd week of Singerman BJ the Bartender was destroyed by Johhny Depp! But 'Pirates' obviously wasn't all that was wrong with Singerman. Had it been the Superman film that MOS is we may have seen a different outcome but it was so anemic you may as well say it shot itself in the foot.

MOS is a totally different animal. I understand Brad Pitt has WORLD WAR Z coming out next week but..........MOS ain't Singerman either. We'll see about Week #2.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:12 pm

Word of mouth for MOS will start to tell in weekend #2. There is decent competition coming but good WOM can overcome that.

Here's a story that never gets told. When Pirates 2 hit, there was a weekend where people couldn't get in to sold out showings of it so they just saw other movies instead. That spillover ended up giving a shot in the arm to every other movie at the box office at the time.

All of them, that is, except Singerman.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:29 pm

-- Man of Steel (standard opening weekend)
Budget- $225,000,000
Domestic- $125,080,000
URL- http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2012.htm

-- Singerman (five day opening weekend)
Budget- $270,000,000
Domestic- $108,091,711
URL- http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman06.htm

So long... Singerman...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:53 pm

Who knows, what the end of this thing is going to be? But MOS has already opened bigger than the first Iron Man did.

-- Iron Man
Week 01, May 2–4- $102,118,668
Week 02, May 9–11- $51,190,629 ($177,825,024)
Week 03, May 16–18- $31,838,996 ($223,124,385)
URL- http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=ironman.htm

If MOS follows a similar rate of decline over the next few weekends, it will be in the black by week 3 and fully profitable long before it leaves theaters. Not bad for a franchise everybody (including WB) wrote off back in 2006.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:07 am

Oh, I'm sorry, did I say it was a $125,080,000 opening weekend? Oops! It was a $128,681,486 opening weekend! So it's not only even further ahead of Singerman but it's also further ahead of Iron Man. This comes from Box Office Mojo, the link for which appears elsewhere so put on your big boy undies and look for it.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Man of Steel Box Office Watch Empty 128,681,486

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:20 am

I had a feeling this kind of thread would be posted sooner or later (Can't believe I didn't notice it) but as long it's there to tear SR a new one is fine by me.

Anyway, after looking at the compared BO results between SR & MOS posted by Colorsblend and as it shows...

thecolorsblend wrote:-- Man of Steel (standard opening weekend)
Budget- $225,000,000
Domestic- $128,681,486
URL- http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2012.htm

-- Singerman (five day opening weekend)
Budget- $270,000,000
Domestic- $108,091,711
URL- http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman06.htm

It should tell a story on how MOS only toke 3 days (Unless you count the early screening) to already surpass SR 5 day opening domestics, it really should. Also as an act to adding salt to the wound, has anyone ever given any thought that when comparing SR & MOS in a visualize manner that SR didn't look as if it was made by the budget that it claims to be made from and yet MOS look as if it was made by the same budget that SR was claimed & supposedly made from? Cause through a close inspection MOS looks to be more expensive than SR in a visual comparison despite that naturally each budget from each prospective film is the exact opposite.
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:41 pm

I can believe SR's budget, but they had a whole different approach to how MOS spent it. That one deleted scene with Singerman returning to the remains of Krypton alone was worth 10 million. No action, just Supes looking around a bunch of dead rocks and kryptonite for six minutes. That should tell you something.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:05 am

According to Box Office Mojo, no doubt the same link that has already been posted, MOS made over 12.5 million domestic on Monday, 6/17/2013, alone! Sure it's down from the weekend but I'd say it's decent for a Monday. The domestic total is now over 141 million. Gee, I wonder how long it'll take to reach 200 million? Then let's do a side-by-side comparison with Singerman Peeps. At least MOS ain't gonna take 4 months to get there!

Ya know, it's still hard to fathom just what duh critics saw in Singerman & what they don't see in MAN OF STEEL. I mean, really? But for some reason they 'got off' on a Singerman who brooded all the time, who peeped on duh Fivehead & no doubt would've stole her away from Cyclops if he'd had half a chance. But I guess this was like Ang Lee's Hulk. What should've been a superhero film ends up being some kind of art-house film. And that seems to be the critics' definition of a good comics film?! But the fans have spoken!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:34 am

non_amos wrote:According to Box Office Mojo, no doubt the same link that has already been posted, MOS made over 12.5 million domestic on Monday, 6/17/2013, alone! Sure it's down from the weekend but I'd say it's decent for a Monday. The domestic total is now over 141 million. Gee, I wonder how long it'll take to reach 200 million? Then let's do a side-by-side comparison with Singerman Peeps. At least MOS ain't gonna take 4 months to get there!
Gotta be honest, I don't know what "normal" is for a week day. But the $12.5'ish it scored seems high to me. The $200 million thing is interesting. If you assume MOS grosses $5 million from Tuesday to Friday (which seems conservative), that's $20 million for a total of $161 million. If it then grosses $40 million this weekend (which, again, seems conservative to me), there's your $200 million right there. So basically MOS would do in one week of release what Singerman needed all those months to do.

Says everything I need to know about which version connects with the public.

non_amos wrote:Ya know, it's still hard to fathom just what duh critics saw in Singerman & what they don't see in MAN OF STEEL. I mean, really? But for some reason they 'got off' on a Singerman who brooded all the time, who peeped on duh Fivehead & no doubt would've stole her away from Cyclops if he'd had half a chance. But I guess this was like Ang Lee's Hulk. What should've been a superhero film ends up being some kind of art-house film. And that seems to be the critics' definition of a good comics film?! But the fans have spoken!
Without going too far into it, I think it's an ideological/political thing.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:00 am

06.18.2013- $152,777,618

Another day, another $10+ million gross.

At the rate things are going, I can't envision a scenario where MOS doesn't hit $200 million by Saturday, 06.22.2013, even if World War Z absolutely destroys everything in its path.

The WOM behind MOS is too strong for it to be easily sunk though. I don't think we're looking at a situation like Singerman where it had an at best decent five day opening weekend and then for all intents and purposes vanished. The numbers/grosses don't bear that out and neither do audience reactions. WWZ is going to have some kind of impact on MOS but I don't think it'll sink anything. Could be wrong, I admit that right now, but if I were a betting man, I'd say MOS hits $200 million on or before Saturday.

Not sure if WB is doing new TV spots but now's the time to press their advantage with "#1 movie", "critically-acclaimed" and "record-breaker" types of things. Hype the success! A late push now could protect MOS this weekend.

But wtf do I know?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  superman1938 Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:25 pm

I didnt know where to place  this but I thought it was a good article..film critics opinions don't matter

http://www.inquisitr.com/803112/man-of-steel-success-at-box-office-and-online/
superman1938
superman1938
SuperFriend
SuperFriend

User Reputation : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:43 pm

Domestic Total as of Jun. 20, 2013: $168,805,000 (Estimate)
Foreign: $73,300,000
Worldwide: $242,105,000

I just don't see any possible way this movie won't clear $200 million before the end of the weekend. My guess is that it'll reach the break even point (domestically) by the middle of next week. The worldwide total already puts the movie in profitable territory.

All of this, of course, beats the crap out of Singerman.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:47 pm

-- MOS
Domestic Total as of Jun. 20, 2013: $168,790,947 (six days in wide release)

For context, Singerman only hit $170 million in weekend #3 while Iron Man only beat $170 million on day #10.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:05 pm

deadline.com wrote:'Man Of Steel' Speeds To $345.6M Worldwide
By NIKKI FINKE, Editor in Chief | Saturday June 22, 2013 @ 3:24pm PDTTags: International Box Office, Man of Steel, Superman
inShare Comments 41

The Superman reboot is a super-hit internationally. Warner Bros' Man Of Steel co-financed by Legendary Pictures pulled in strong numbers on Friday, grossing $19.7M from 52 markets now in release. This brings the overseas cume to date to $135.6M in just 9 days. With a projected domestic cume reaching $210M this weekend, that makes for at least a worldwide total of $345.6M so far. Last weekend, Man Of Steel ranked #1 everywhere with a gross of $71.6M from 24 overseas markets in release and a speeding worldwide cume of $196.7M in its first 4 days.

The Christopher Nolan-Zack Snyder-David S. Goyer-Henry Cavill pic has 27 more markets opening this weekend, including the major countries France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Russia and China. Asia has been very strong so China opened as expected Thursday with Superman taking almost 80% marketshare. The preliminary gross was $5,886,285 for 899,027 admissions on approximately 5,500 digital 3D screens and 109 Imax Screens and 22 'China Giant Screen' screens. This is the 2nd highest opening day for Warner Brothers in China, behind only the final Harry Potter film. The estimated Friday figure for China is another outstanding $5.9M with a 2-day total now of $11.7M. In other markets, Spain grosses $1.5M (almost as much as Iron Man 3, Russia came in with a new cume of $3.15M, France placed #1 with a new cume of $4.2M, Germany also ranked a strong #1 with a new fresh of $1.9M, and Italy continues to rank #1 with a new cume of $1.1M. Australia opens on June 27, Brazil July 12, and Japan August 30.

URL- http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/man-of-steel-speeds-to-345-6m-worldwide-box-office-in-first-9-days

Let's go for broke and assume MOS will indeed hit $210 million in the US this weekend. That's Weekend #2. For comparison's sake, the first Iron Man only hit $177 million in Weekend #2. Singerman? $141.6 million in Weekend #2 and only $200 million in the US so don't even bring it up. If these numbers bear out, MOS will be demonstrably beating the piss not only out of Singerman (as might be expected) but Iron Man as well.

I keep mentioning Iron Man since it's the most recent highly successful superhero franchise that's started up lately. As for Singerman, I simply enjoy rubbing the Apologists' noses in it. YOU LOST!

Now, obviously I have no clue how it'll all play out this weekend but at the same time I can't picture a scenario where MOS doesn't exceed at least $200 million domestically by Sunday night. The solid numbers I've seen so far just don't indicate that to me (Box Office Mojo estimates Friday, 06.21.2013 at $12.7 million in the US; even if Saturday and Sunday are only $12 million each, that would still put you at $205 million... which isn't far off from what deadline suggests). But if the deadline thing ends up coming true, that's $345 million worldwide... by itself a big chunk of what Singerman earned after four fucking miserable months.

For whatever it's worth, Box Office Mojo is predicting $47.8 million for MOS from 06.21-06.23 for a domestic total of $216 million (http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3694&p=.htm), which is close to what deadline has suggested.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:18 pm

It appears that Monsters U & World War Z are gonna beat MOS for the weekend with MOS coming in 3rd, at least that's what Friday's estimates appeared to be. Even so MOS is a hit! And get this. Walmart already has where you can pre-order the Special Edition Blu-Ray on it's DVD shelves. To me this is faster than usual unless it's just because they wanna capitalize on it while the film is on a roll. Nah. They wouldn't do that now would they? Cool
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:35 pm

Hey, I just noticed something from that link you posted. Look at this asinine comment:

Comment by chris — Saturday June 22, 2013 @ 3:35pm PDT wrote:It’s a bird, it’s a plane……….it’s a flop
It’s almost comical to think that the consensus was this film would bank 1 billion worldwide easily.
It could have, if it had any heart at all. People wanted to make this the next Ironman franchise, last week proved that. Problem is the movie is just another Transformers sequel.
Hollywood stop going to extremes. After Superman Returns everyone said “Boring, some action please”
So how does Hollywood respond? HERE’S SOME ACTION WITH YOUR ACTION TO GIVE YOU SOME ACTION!!!!!!
Honestly, just make a good Superman movie with heart and a moderate amount of action. That’s all, it’s not rocket science.

When, oh when, will apologists become extinct?!

For a comment by someone who actually has an iota of common sense, here ya go:

Who had the consensus this would go to 1 billion. I heard no reputable sources come close to reporting that.

This a reboot to a flop of a movie to a comic book character who hasn’t been relevant in film for 30 years.

I’d say this is doing phenomenal under the circumstances.

And more common sense:

Oh brother. Are u serious. I thought it had a heart. Were u expecting the Golly Gee Superman again?

At least some people actually saw the same film that we did.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Look, look! The Apologists CAN do math! After seven years of being unable to process even kindergarten-level math, the Apologists have apparently all gotten degrees in higher level mathematics!

Unfortunately, they still lack common sense. Man of Steel has to earn a certain amount of profit (not gross; PROFIT) in theaters in order to be viable going forward. All signs say it is poised to do that, else WB wouldn't be developing a sequel already (and not that stupid "contracted to pitch sequel ideas but not actually direct a film" shit like with Singer). But MOS is a reboot of a franchise the majority of wide audiences didn't give a fuck about on 06.13.2013 but have cared quite a lot about since 06.14.2013. It needed to establish a foundation, not only for future Superman films but for a wider DC universe.

New flash: It did all of those things.

I haven't seen a solid source for this $170 million marketing cost everybody keeps mentioning. It may be true but I haven't seen a source. Even so, MOS doesn't need to hit $1 billion worldwide in order to set up that foundation. Fuck, it's doing better than Iron Man as far as raw numbers go (and look what that film set up for crying out loud). MOS will be near it's cost of production by the end of Weekend #2 (and will have outgrossed Singerman domestically in the bargain) AND it will likely be in profit before the onset of Weekend #3. During that time, it will also open in more international markets (the final push of which should place the film well ahead of Singerman territory internationally).

The gravy for the film will come from streaming platforms, TV rights, Blu-Ray sales, rentals, merch and all the other usual revenue streams. A goodly chunk of profit will come from the theatrical run but most of it will be on the other end. Even so, it will be considered a success (A) partly because of what it earned but (B) primarily for what it sets up in the future.

Compare this to Singerman, which wasn't a reboot (don't use the fucking word if you don't know what it means, Apologist) and which didn't position the character for jackfuckingshit in the future. It took Singerman a five day opening weekend, four months and a last minute 3D release to huff and puff to $200 million in the US. MOS will be there before this weekend is over.

Any way you care to look at it, MOS is a success because of what it has earned and what it will bring in the future. Any other analysis is Apologist bullshit.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:37 pm

And so it just passed SR's entire domestic gross. Two weeks, numbers do not lie, this is a winner.

With the success of MOS, how do you guys feel about the marketing? I remember thinking how lackluster it was, even SR had more exposure, yet it clearly paid off for MOS.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:38 pm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2012.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $210,006,000   74.1%
+ Foreign: $73,300,000   25.9%

Worldwide: $283,306,000 
I don't think this is totally accurate because I read that with the foreign it's really about 398 million:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/177681-world-war-z-and-man-of-steel-box-office-update

Warner Bros. Pictures' Man of Steel dropped to third place and lost about 64.7% in ticket sales from its first weekend, a larger percentage than was expected. The Superman movie brought in $41.2 million its second weekend and has earned $210 million after two weeks. Overseas, the Zack Snyder-directed film performed much better in first place with another $89 million for an international total of $188.3 million. Worldwide, the $225 million-budgeted Man of Steel has reached $398.3 million.

To be fair here BOM I think are often behind in tallying up the foreign totals so no doubt that explains the discrepancy here. But think! 398 million! In 10 days! Nothing shabby here folks & it's already surpassed Singerman's entire run! However, if you'll check out the comments on these other sites I'm still seeing so-called fan after fan bashing on MOS as being garbage! Here's a sample:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=105779

AliceTheBrit Joshua Melo • 2 hours ago

SPOILER... He told anyone who would listen (especially military personnel) he was from Kansas. Lois tracked him to Kansas. Zod tracked him to Kansas. People in Kansas knew a kid named Clark Kent did some super human stuff. So as an adult Clark Kent without bothering to change his name (yet he does when he somehow forges documents to join a high level military expedition... I can't even apply to McDonald's without a background check... WTF script writers...) he gets a reporter job to "hide among us." Yeah... not a secret identity, buddy. Plus, the whole world was witness to what Superman could do. He used all his powers. In broad daylight. He saved humanity. So why all of a sudden does he feel the need to only do good in secret? This movie was pretty awful.

• Man of Steel Box Office Watch Avatar.php?default=http%3A%2F%2Fmediacdn.disqus.com%2F1371773468%2Fimages%2Fnoavatar92
    LostInAmerica AliceTheBrit • an hour ago

Yeah... Superman was pretty shady with his moral code in this film. He was using fake id's and forging documents and stealing clothes and then gets a reporter job with no credentials or schooling or experience whatsoever. All I learned was being bad pays off as long you're kind of handsome and muscular. MOS was the worst.

• Man of Steel Box Office Watch Avatar.php?default=http%3A%2F%2Fmediacdn.disqus.com%2F1371773468%2Fimages%2Fnoavatar92
    Johnsonite AliceTheBrit • an hour ago

Or how about the Kryptonian spaceship (now Fortress of Solitude) found in the ice that flies away in front of dozens of scientists and military people... to never get mentioned again. Then Supes destroys a government satellite trying to track where he goes... this is supposed to explain away how the Fortress stays hidden. Yet the spaceship (Fortress) was first discovered by ground based machinery that pinged an anomaly. All anyone would really need to do was walk around with a metal detector and find another anomaly... and BAM you're in the Fortress of Solitude. Destroying the satellite did nothing, Superman. Or how about Superman's super hearing, even shown developing as a child... yet he doesn't hear Lois clumsily walking in behind him when he first enters the spaceship??? This movie really is awful.

So I guess apologists don't just exist on duh Homopage?

Look. All these 'pricks' complaining about the film, Superman's character, whatever. To tell you the truth, many of them probably do prefer Singerman with all it's deep emo emotiveness. Too bad their support didn't translate into decent box office! And duh critics just want more Donnerverse. They're thinking 'swell'. They want kitties rescued from trees but heaven forbid Superman actually punch someone. And they also seem to be applying the moral code of Superman that Christopher Reeve displayed & are disappointed that somehow Cavill's Superman doesn't have the same regard for things. Well, it's like they say, this ain't your father's Superman! Maybe the film ain't perfect but it's light-years ahead of Singerman & is one of the best comics films ever. Oh, here's a thought. They're bashing on it because Zack Snyder directed it. I should've seen that one coming!

Fun
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next