Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man of Steel's Box Office to Determine Justice League's Fate?

4 posters

Go down

Man of Steel's Box Office to Determine Justice League's Fate? Empty Man of Steel's Box Office to Determine Justice League's Fate?

Post  non_amos Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:09 pm

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/174705-man-of-steels-box-office-to-determine-justice-leagues-fate

Man of Steel's Box Office to Determine Justice League's Fate?

by SuperHeroHype
January 28, 2013

n an article at Variety talking about new Warner Bros. Entertainment CEO Kevin Tsujihara and the president of Warner Bros. Pictures, Jeff Robinov, the trade included these interesting quotes on how Man of Steel's performance may affect whether the studio moves forward with the Justice League movie.

"Further out, the studio's planning a "Justice League" tentpole -- encompassing DC Comics mainstays Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, the Flash and the Green Lantern -- on the order of Marvel's "The Avengers." Will Beall is scripting but no director has been attached yet.

Stakes are high for "Man of Steel." Other than Nolan's Batpics, Warners has not been able to effectively exploit the DC library. Its 2011 "Green Lantern" underperformed, and a "Justice League" film wouldn't likely be in theaters before 2015, as Warner's top brass has indicated that they are awaiting the results of "Man of Steel," which opens June 14, before moving further ahead.

From how the previously-released trailer looks (see below), we don't think they will have much of a problem at the box office, but what do you think?

I want Superman to succeed whether or not we get JLA or not. Yeah, I'd prefer that too but get Superman right first! As for MOS' box office? I don't think we'll have to worry too much about that. Maybe duh brothers ain't exactly promoting this thing like they ought to but Singerman it ain't & I think in a sense it's gonna sell itself. I think people are jumping on Cavill's bandwagon as being an awesome take & I believe WOM will be great. As for JLA? We'll see I guess but I still don't think it's a good idea competing with AVENGERS 2.

Last edited by non_amos on Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Man of Steel's Box Office to Determine Justice League's Fate? Empty Re: Man of Steel's Box Office to Determine Justice League's Fate?

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:27 am

non_amos wrote:As for JLA? We'll see I guess but I still don't think it's a good idea competing with AVENGERS 2.

Agreed!!! As cool as that sounds I prefer that they build up on it properly first before going forward with it. Seriously, how do you do a team-up film without introducing the characters in solo films before hand? Aleast get Wonder Woman & Flash off the ground if they really want to get things moving instead of worrying about competing against a sequel to an already established team-up film which won't turn out so well!

Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Man of Steel's Box Office to Determine Justice League's Fate? Empty Re: Man of Steel's Box Office to Determine Justice League's Fate?

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:31 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:Agreed!!! As cool as that sounds I prefer that they build up on it properly first before going forward with it. Seriously, how do you do a team-up film without introducing the characters in solo films before hand? Aleast get Wonder Woman & Flash off the ground if they really want to get things moving instead of worrying about competing against a sequel to an already established team-up film which won't turn out so well!
If they do things too similarly to how Marvel did, they'll be accused of riding their coat tails. If they do things their own way, they'll be griped out for not properly introducing the characters first. Personally, I think a more gradual process is the way to go; build toward a JLA movie by skipping sequels (for now) for Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman and instead do World's Finest and Trinity movies before going into JLA. But doing a JLA movie as a halfass follow up to MOS permits WB to figure out which characters could work in a solo franchise without having to actually spend the time and money developing one first. There's a lot to be said for that.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:38 pm

Oh boy! Here we go again:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/174925-justice-league-rumored-for-page-one-rewrite

Justice League Rumored for Page-One Rewrite

by Silas Lesnick
February 07, 2013

he future of Warner Bros.' big screen superhero ensemble Justice League appears to be a bit up in the air today as Badass Digest reports the rumor that the studio has elected not to move forward with Will Beall's take on the screenplay and will now bring in new writers to reexamine the property.

Although the film was initially rumored for a 2015 release, recent reports from Warner Bros. suggest that Justice League's big screen potential hinges on the success of their upcoming Man of Steel. Unofficial buzz about the Zack Snyder film has been very postive, however, and it's possible that, if rumors of a page-one rewrite do pan out, the reason is simply to make the ensemble fit more in tone with Snyder's vision.

Man of Steel stars Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Laurence Fishburne, Antje Traue, Ayelet Zurer, Christopher Meloni, Russell Crowe, Michael Kelly, Harry Lennix and Richard Schiff and hits theaters on June 14.

I'm glad to hear that buzz for MOS has been 'postive' (their spelling). But as for JLA? Well, I guess it won't be competing with AVENGERS 2 after all. Lame
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:09 pm

They should scrap this stupid film that will be crushed by both 'Avengers 2' AND 'Star Wars' in 2015, and shoot for a Superman/Batman film for December 2014. People would go nucking futs for a film with these two characters interacting for the first time EVER on the big-screen. Throw in cameo's by Flash and possibly Wonder Woman, and you have the PERFECT set-up for a 'Justice League of America' film in 2016.

But hey, I'm not an ignorant studio head with my head so far up my own ass I can see my own cold, black heart....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:28 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:They should scrap this stupid film that will be crushed by both 'Avengers 2' AND 'Star Wars' in 2015, and shoot for a Superman/Batman film for December 2014. People would go nucking futs for a film with these two characters interacting for the first time EVER on the big-screen. Throw in cameo's by Flash and possibly Wonder Woman, and you have the PERFECT set-up for a 'Justice League of America' film in 2016.

But hey, I'm not an ignorant studio head with my head so far up my own ass I can see my own cold, black heart....
More and more I'm starting to think this is the way to go. Shit, do MOS, then WF, then Trinity and then Justice League of America. "You guys think Marvel went slow? You ain't seen nothing yet."
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:32 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:They should scrap this stupid film that will be crushed by both 'Avengers 2' AND 'Star Wars' in 2015, and shoot for a Superman/Batman film for December 2014. People would go nucking futs for a film with these two characters interacting for the first time EVER on the big-screen. Throw in cameo's by Flash and possibly Wonder Woman, and you have the PERFECT set-up for a 'Justice League of America' film in 2016.

I think you're hitting on something there AP. Fans have wanted a WORLD'S FINEST film forever & a day. I think we all remember how even in the film I AM LEGEND that there was the film marque visible for a previously aborted 'Superman vs. Batman' project. I think people 'get it' in that respect. And the cameos and/or references to other heroes would be a better 'lead-in' to JLA. But could 'World's Finest' be green-lit in time for a December 2014 release? Even if not surely they could still make Spring 2015? But whatever they do, they better do it before both Avengers and Star Wars or they don't stand a chance. So a World's Finest before those films & maybe JLA in 2016? But shouldn't we have a Superman sequel by then? If I have to pick & choose, I'll go with SUPERMAN. Proud
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:45 pm

I have a feeling they have already commissioned a 'World's Finest' script, just to cover all their bases. If they green-lit the film by the end of summer, it would have PLENTY of time to hit a December '14 release date. Also, I don't think the Wolfgang Peterson one would be a good idea for launching a new Batman, so that one is out. I think setting it up like the 'Superman TAS/Batman TAS' crossover is the perfect way to go.

Bruce Wayne travels to Metropolis for a project he is working on with Lex Luthor, which is the PERFECT way to introduce Lex into the Superman universe, because he found out the Joker got his hands on some Kryptonite. The characters don't like each other for most of the film. They briefly "fight" with each other when they first meet. Superman uses x-ray vision to reveal who Batman really is, Batman slips a tracking device onto Supes' cape and follows him to Clark's apartment to discover who HE is. Eventually they have to team-up in order to bring down the Joker.

I'd pay to see it.

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:22 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:I have a feeling they have already commissioned a 'World's Finest' script, just to cover all their bases. If they green-lit the film by the end of summer, it would have PLENTY of time to hit a December '14 release date. Also, I don't think the Wolfgang Peterson one would be a good idea for launching a new Batman, so that one is out. I think setting it up like the 'Superman TAS/Batman TAS' crossover is the perfect way to go.

Bruce Wayne travels to Metropolis for a project he is working on with Lex Luthor, which is the PERFECT way to introduce Lex into the Superman universe, because he found out the Joker got his hands on some Kryptonite. The characters don't like each other for most of the film. They briefly "fight" with each other when they first meet. Superman uses x-ray vision to reveal who Batman really is, Batman slips a tracking device onto Supes' cape and follows him to Clark's apartment to discover who HE is. Eventually they have to team-up in order to bring down the Joker.

I'd pay to see it.

Funny you should mention it because I came back here to post this- http://www.comicscube.com/2010/05/clearing-up-misconception-about-frank.html.

That dude just about nailed my main issues with TDKR. I've enjoyed it for years but the Superman fan in me winces each time I see yet another damn fight where Batman somehow comes out on top.

Anyway. I'm all for taking the same basic course as the animated series. There really is no fight but at the same time there is kind of a fight. Sort of. And Superman doesn't get kicked around like a chump just to make Batman look good. A loose remake of the animated WF is about as much latitude as I'm prepared to give Hollywood. MOS remains guilty until proven innocent so any team-up movie isn't going to get easier treatment.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:16 pm

The page you linked to doesn't exist anymore. Which sucks, because I was curious about what he said.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:47 pm

Okay, that is MESSED UP because it was there not even 24 hours ago. So I'd better expand a little. The guy's basic issue is that TDKR had a crappy legacy for Superman, and not because that's what Frank Miller intended. Miller freely admits that if he'd been telling a Superman-centric story, he wouldn't have set him up as a government agent. He only did so for TDKR because it's Batman's story. However, since TDKR is the comic book gateway for a lot of people, it has influenced fans and creators alike to think of Superman as a chump, like he's the government's clown or something. Miller himself doesn't have that view; it was just convenient for the story.

That and the fact that Batman kicks his ass in the story (because Superman kicking Batman's ass is about as newsworthy a headline as saying there's unrest in the Middle East) has seriously damaged how Superman is viewed over the years, and it's not getting any better.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down