Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread

5 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread

Post  non_amos Sun May 13, 2012 1:35 am

Webhead, I saw that report at SHH but am glad you posted it first because I found one i wanted to post a little more so:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3441&p=.htm

Friday Report: 'Dark Shadows' Can't Slow 'Avengers'

by Ray Subers
May 12, 2012

The Avengers was once again the main attraction on Friday, while Johnny Depp and Tim Burton's latest only generated mild interest.

The superhero team-up continued its record-breaking run with an estimated $29.1 million yesterday, which is the best second Friday ever ahead of The Dark Knight's $23.2 million. The movie's 64 percent drop from opening day seems steep, though it's a tad better than The Dark Knight, notably better than Iron Man 2, and about even with Thor. The Avengers set a new record with its $299.1 million total through eight days in theaters, and it will take the second weekend record with something close to $100 million for the three-day frame.

Dark Shadows debuted in second place with a decent $9.72 million. That's obviously way less than Depp and Burton's Alice in Wonderland ($40.8 million) and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory ($20.7 million), though it would have been unreasonable to expect their gothic vampire flick to match those colorful, well-branded outings. It did at least wind up close to 1999's Sleepy Hollow ($10.05 million), albeit with much lower attendance. Dark Shadows should earn around $29 million this weekend.

Think Like a Man fell 41 percent to an estimated $1.58 million, which brings its total to an impressive $77.2 million. The Lucky One eased 34 percent to $1.29 million, and crossed the $50 million mark. Rounding out the Top Five, The Hunger Games dipped just 26 percent to $1.2 million for an outstanding total of $383.7 million.

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel expanded to 178 locations and moved up to eighth place with an estimated $665,000. Through eight days, the British comedy has earned $1.74 million.

While Dark Shadows was the only new title in nationwide release yesterday, Lionsgate/Pantelion opened Girl in Progress to a solid $409,000 at 322 locations. That put it in ninth place, and it should remain in the Top 10 with well over $1 million for the three-day weekend.

Discuss this story with Box Office Mojo fans on Facebook. On Twitter, follow us at @boxofficemojo, and follow author Ray Subers at @raysubers.

I put the relevant films in bold. I didn't think the remake of DARK SHADOWS stood a chance against THE AVENGERS, especially with the film being like a 'parody' of the source material, which was more serious in tone. Really want a dark Dark Shadows representation? Watch the theatrical film from about 1971 called HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS (on VHS, not yet DVD). On the TV series, Barnabas became 'the reluctant vampire' with a conscience. In this film, he was just brutal! But I also found fault with that film because of that because to me, the real Barnabas Collins was 'the reluctant vampire' who wrestled with his curse & just wanted to be rid of it. The theatrical version? He all but destroyed the entire family! So he 'lost his charm' so to speak.

Not trying to derail this thread but making a point. Like with the 'House' film, Depp & Burton have chosen in this new film to do a different version too, only in this case it's a satire, a comedy! I still intend to see it & was actually going Saturday but some things interfered with my plans. Anyway, my point is, even if they had strictly adhered to DS canon, it still would've come in 2nd place to Avengers. For the life of me, I don't know what the studio was thinking in releasing it one week after Avengers?! But remember guys, the studio is WARNER BROTHERS, who ain't exactly known for their common sense & good business decisions! And part of my point too is that releasing a parody of this franchise to go up against Avengers?!

Maybe I should be asking what were they smoking?! Frustration
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread

Post  webhead2006 Sun May 13, 2012 11:46 am

Ya I know that is what some folks didn't like. I still plan to see it myself soon. But back to avengers they are now in the billion dollar club:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=59656
MARVEL'S THE AVENGERS Crosses $1 Billion Worldwide; Tops THE DARK KNIGHT

It may have broken more records in North America this weekend (details on that can be found HERE) but it has just been revealed that Joss Whedon's superhero ensemble has now made OVER $1 billion worldwide! Josh Wilding - 5/13/2012

Almost every day over the past week has seen analyst after analyst predict that Marvel's The Avengers would hit $1 billion by close of business on Sunday. Of course, the far more realistic and conservative estimates had it pegged at making around $950 million, instead crossing the landmark figure by tomorrow or Tuesday. Well, as you can see from the Tweets below (courtesy of one of the most trusted sites when it comes to box office reports) the film has now hit $1,002,100,000 in less than three weeks of release. That puts it at #11 on the list of all-time highest grossing movies, past The Dark Knight and well on its way to a much higher spot.

Marvel's THE AVENGERS has joined the 1%--$1 billion worldwide!!! Int'l: $628.9M - Domestic: $373.2M

— Exhibitor Relations (@ERCboxoffice) May 13, 2012

THE AVENGERS' worldwide domination is unmatched: $1,002,100,000 in just 19 days of release.

— Exhibitor Relations (@ERCboxoffice) May 13, 2012
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun May 13, 2012 6:56 pm

Game, set, match, Whedon.

Hey Nolan, thanks for showing up.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun May 13, 2012 11:32 pm

Again I ask, ComicBookDouche, where you at??
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon May 14, 2012 1:32 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Again I ask, ComicBookDouche, where you at??

Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread - Page 3 Where_10
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed May 16, 2012 12:55 pm

and the numbers keep going up:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=59843
AVENGERS update: Domestic - $389.5M,INT'L - $646.8M, WORLDWIDE - $1.036B

Exhibitor Relations @ERCboxoffice Follow

16 May 12 Reply Retweet Favorite

Globally,Marvel's mightiest is #9 on the all-time highest grossing list,passing ALICE IN WONDERLAND & SW: THE PHANTOM MENACE.

THE AVENGERS has topped THE HUNGER GAMES as the highest-grossing domestic film of 2012 - $389M vs. $387M

webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri May 18, 2012 2:54 pm

Avengers pass 400mill domestically:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=59970
As of Thursday,THE AVENGERS became just the 13th film to cross $400M domestically. Marvel madness!

18 May 12 Reply Retweet Favorite

THE AVENGERS' worldwide tally: $1.070B--$402M Dom,$668M Int'l

Marvel's THE AVENGERS is now Disney's highest grossing release of all time,topping TOYSTORY3 & PotC: DEAD MAN'S CHEST.

webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat May 19, 2012 1:14 am

It is not looking good for Christopher Nolan.

Thank you for showing up, Mr. Nolan!

Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread - Page 3 Chris_10

Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread - Page 3 Batman16
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sat May 19, 2012 3:36 am

What's not looking good for him? Whether it beats the The Avengers record or not, TDKR is gonna make stupid amounts of money.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat May 19, 2012 4:08 am

Stockslivevan wrote:What's not looking good for him? Whether it beats the The Avengers record or not, TDKR is gonna make stupid amounts of money.
The money is only part of the story here. There was/is a level of interest in Avengers that I'm just not seeing in TDKRises. I think some people might be curious about it but I've not seen the anticipation that Avengers or even TDK inspired.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat May 19, 2012 2:14 pm

Totally with the way things keep going I wouldn't be surprise to see film break 500 maybe 600 mill domestically. And batman and other big summer films I don't see haaving any chance to touch avengers numbers.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat May 19, 2012 2:16 pm

webhead2006 wrote:Totally with the way things keep going I wouldn't be surprise to see film break 500 maybe 600 mill domestically. And batman and other big summer films I don't see haaving any chance to touch avengers numbers.

You're preaching to the choir here dude! Smile
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun May 20, 2012 10:15 am

Avengers nab number one again:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/NerdyGeek/news/?a=60071
BOX OFFICE: THE AVENGERS Takes #1 Spot Again; BATTLESHIP Bombs With $25M

The weekend estimates are in! The Avengers has taken the #1 spot once again with an impressive $57M,while Universal's Battleship has sunk with an extremely disappointing $25.3M. More after the jump... TheIrishAvenger - 5/20/2012

Reports from Exhibitor Relations are estimating that Peter Berg and Universal's Battleship has bombed at the box office with only $25.3 Million, in second place. While, Marvel's The Avengers is still going strong at the #1 spot with an estimated $57 Million in it's third weekend. The film has now made $459M domestic and over $1 Billion worldwide.

Exhibitor Relations @ERCboxoffice

You sunk my BATTLESHIP! Universal's wannabe blockbuster set sail in 2nd place with just $25.3M. #boredgames

20 May 12

Exhibitor Relations @ERCboxoffice

Three-peat!!! Early estimates have Marvel's THE

AVENGERS amassing $57M--just a -44% drop--and $459M overall.

20 May 12

The question now is, will The Avengers stay at the #1 spot with Men in Black 3 hitting cinemas next week? Sound off in the comments below...

Both Battleship and The Avengers are in cinemas worldwide now.

Source: Exhibitor Relations

Wonder Woman
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun May 20, 2012 10:21 am

Don't ask me where now but on one of the related links in the past few days for reports like this, someone had BATTLESHIP pegged for 'destroying the competition' or some such nonsense. What was that again, Mr. Douche?

And Mr. Nolan, thanks again!

Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread - Page 3 Dick_n14
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun May 20, 2012 10:49 am

Ya they probably expected it to do well here since it did score 100-200mill pretty quick internationally.

International numbers also going strong:
http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/news/foreign-box-office-avengers-sherlock-holmes-dark-shadows-johnny-depp-dictator-327004
Foreign Box Office: 'Avengers' Hits $720 Million Overseas, Tops 'Dark Shadows,' 'Dictator'

12:32 PM PDT 5/20/2012 by Frank Segers

"Dark Shadows" narrowly places second while "The Dictator" commands No. 3, opening in 29 international markets.

Marvel’s The Avengers is now Disney’s biggest release ever thanks largely to foreign-generated box office accumulated over the last month including the latest weekend’s No. 1 overseas tally of $56 million drawn from 54 overseas territories.

The powerhouse overseas returns for The Avengers, totaling $723.3 million (as opposed to its $457.1 domestic cume), propelling Disney to 2012’s front-ranking foreign distributor thus far with $1.148 billion in offshore box office realized since January. (Contributing to that total was the more than $210 million in the foreign box office by the expensive sci-fi/action title, John Carter.)

Dave Hollis, Disney’s motion picture distribution exec v.p., cited “the magnitude of these holds” in many markets, especially in Latin America where The Avengers’ total gross in the region, $171 million, has “exceeded the entire run of Avatar and Titantic to become the highest grossing film in history.”

The Avengers’ top five markets are the U.K. ($72.3 million), China ($69.3 million), Mexico ($56.2 million), Brazil ($51.9 million) and South Korea ($47.7 million). The film’s $1.180 billion worldwide cume beats the $1.066 billion accumulated by Disney’s previous top-grosser, 2006’s Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun May 20, 2012 5:03 pm

Hm. So far it's lost 50'ish% (give or take) each successive weekend. If that holds up, this son of a buck is going to break $500 million before too long and it'll have been released in the US for just over a month. Talk about good business! The numbers here just keep piling up!

I hope (but don't expect) Hollywood would take a lesson here. Mass audiences don't want some fucking agenda-driven snooze fest directed by some hack director about a social issue that only 2% of the population wants to force on everyone else. The people want fun action movies that skip the politics (of either side) and make with the cool actors and effects sequences. It's hard to imagine a movie more clearly illustrating what the public wants than the business Avengers is doing.

I know it'll inevitably fall on deaf ears but somebody has to say it...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun May 20, 2012 5:18 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:

Mass audiences don't want some fucking agenda-driven snooze fest directed by some hack director about a social issue that only 2% of the population wants to force on everyone else.

Hmmmm!!!!! If I didn't know better, I'd suspect that that was a pot-shot at SINGERMAN.

Agenda? Check.

Snooze-fest? Check.

Hack director? Check.

Social commentary? Check.

But just what could that agenda be that '2% of the population is forcing on us'?

Hmmmm?! Wink
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun May 20, 2012 9:02 pm

non_amos wrote:Hmmmm!!!!! If I didn't know better, I'd suspect that that was a pot-shot at SINGERMAN.

Agenda? Check.

Snooze-fest? Check.

Hack director? Check.

Social commentary? Check.

But just what could that agenda be that '2% of the population is forcing on us'?

Hmmmm?! Wink
I didn't want to get too specific about it but yeah Singerman is definitely included in that list. I'm always ready to take cheap shots at Singerman, you know that by now.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun May 20, 2012 9:42 pm

I expect the Blu-Ray/DVD sales to hit somewhere around $250 million MORE dollars.

And that's a conservative estimate.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun May 20, 2012 10:31 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:I expect the Blu-Ray/DVD sales to hit somewhere around $250 million MORE dollars.

I'd definitely agree with conservative. Ya know, due to duh economy & the effect it's had on my own household, I very often don't buy these type of DVDs the day they're released. Unless you get them on sale somewhere, Walmart is subject to charge between 20 & 30 bucks for it, depending on factors like '2-Disc', 'Blu-Ray' & whatever. I didn't even buy the Blu-Rays of Cap & Thor until Christmas Eve because they were on sale then. An even more common practice is to wait & buy them used at a pawn shop or used music store.

But we're talking about THE AVENGERS here. I'm already about convinced in my mind that I may have to 'break with tradition' & just buy the sucker. Immediately! But even on that I have a concern. Do you suppose there will be such a 'run' on them the day of release that you may go from store to store & strike out every time?! I know there's 'pre-order' at some places but I don't usually do that. Or will that be necessary in this case?
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon May 21, 2012 1:08 am

I think if you are planning on buying it on the day, or first few days, of release, stores like Best Buy will have plenty of copies.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon May 21, 2012 1:20 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:I expect the Blu-Ray/DVD sales to hit somewhere around $250 million MORE dollars.

Whatever the box office dollars end up being, the DVD release will be a gravy train unto itself. It's one reason why, whatever gets leaked about the home video release now, I suspect Marvel will (or at least could) double dip. Release a movie-only version alongside a version with a few extras in, I dunno, October or November and then put together a full-fledged special edition for April or May (or hell maybe for October/November 2013). Maybe do an extended cut or something. Hopefully director's commentary will be included, although that seems to be rarer in this day and age when people (for some reason) are obsessed with fucking deleted scenes.

non_amos wrote:I'd definitely agree with conservative. Ya know, due to duh economy & the effect it's had on my own household, I very often don't buy these type of DVDs the day they're released. Unless you get them on sale somewhere, Walmart is subject to charge between 20 & 30 bucks for it, depending on factors like '2-Disc', 'Blu-Ray' & whatever. I didn't even buy the Blu-Rays of Cap & Thor until Christmas Eve because they were on sale then. An even more common practice is to wait & buy them used at a pawn shop or used music store.
Hey man, am I supposed to argue with you here? The economy is affecting all of us. And these home video formats we get every other year aren't much helping matters.

non_amos wrote:But we're talking about THE AVENGERS here. I'm already about convinced in my mind that I may have to 'break with tradition' & just buy the sucker. Immediately! But even on that I have a concern. Do you suppose there will be such a 'run' on them the day of release that you may go from store to store & strike out every time?! I know there's 'pre-order' at some places but I don't usually do that. Or will that be necessary in this case?
Apologist Puncher wrote:I think if you are planning on buying it on the day, or first few days, of release, stores like Best Buy will have plenty of copies.
I'd guess a lot of places will sell it at a decent price on the day and date release. Don't Walmart and Best Buy usually have fairly low prices on the release date?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon May 21, 2012 1:25 am

As far as I remember, they sell them for between $15.99-19.99 for DVD. Not sure for Blu-Ray.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Mon May 21, 2012 1:27 am

Either way, I'm sold.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon May 21, 2012 1:34 am

thecolorsblend wrote:

I'd guess a lot of places will sell it at a decent price on the day and date release. Don't Walmart and Best Buy usually have fairly low prices on the release date?

Usually they do, especially Best Buy. Walmart can vary, like one new release will have a few bucks knocked off of it the 1st week "ON SALE" but another new release won't. Sometimes even the major new release in a given week ain't on sale. From looking at their online weekly sales though Best Buy seems to be pretty decent about new releases the 1st week but sometimes Walmart still has the better price, that is, if they're on sale.

Personally I hope they offer decent prices like back in the day with the '89 BATMAN video. If you'll recall back then around 1990, VHS was the thing but videos weren't necessarily cheap. Early on prices were outrageous but by this time I seem to remember them hovering around 20 bucks. But what happened when BATMAN was released? It seemed like they had VHS copies running out of every orifice & they were priced at 10 bucks and selling like hotcakes! So if you adapt that logic, I hope they offer similar deals on the various Avengers DVD releases.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next