Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread

5 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread

Post  James Stocks Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:18 pm

Yeah! Take that Burton-nites(?)!!!!
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:44 pm

I think I'm having trouble grasping the thesis here. Am I to assume that an action movie built for wide audiences is always going to be more successful than a niche chick flick with stalker undertones intended for overweight, burnt out divorced women, underweight, burnt out, dumped 20-something girls and, shall we say, the San Francisco community?

If I didn't know better, I'd swear that's the argument being advanced here.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:49 pm

Yeah, sounds like we're BURTONITES for some reason. Is it our fault he made a superior Bat-film? Rolling Eyes
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:48 am

Congrats to marvel for breaking 600mill. This again shows the proper way to design and develop a comic film and get audience aproveal and love.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:02 pm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=avengers11.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $600,377,080 41.7%
+ Foreign: $837,900,000 58.3%
= Worldwide: $1,438,277,080

Nolan? Checkmate! Smile
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:23 am

non_amos wrote:http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=avengers11.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses

Nolan? Checkmate! Smile
I've not kept up but you have to wonder if any Nolanites are still suggesting TDKRises will outgross Avengers. Probably so. Their grip on reality (ha!) is nearly as tenuous as an Apologist's.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:28 am

thecolorsblend wrote:
non_amos wrote:http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=main&id=avengers11.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses

Nolan? Checkmate! Smile
I've not kept up but you have to wonder if any Nolanites are still suggesting TDKRises will outgross Avengers. Probably so. Their grip on reality (ha!) is nearly as tenuous as an Apologist's.

And Nolan is sure to love that ticket scalping on eBay huh? But that money is actually going into someone else' pocket. Not exactly gonna help TDKR's bottom line. It's about like me selling a KISS album on eBay doesn't put money in Gene Simmons' pocket (much to his chagrin). Neither will it help TDKR's total box office.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:51 am

thecolorsblend wrote:I've not kept up but you have to wonder if any Nolanites are still suggesting TDKRises will outgross Avengers. Probably so. Their grip on reality (ha!) is nearly as tenuous as an Apologist's.

Actually, I have seen the more retarded Nolanites claiming 'Rises' will make "$1.1 billion', and will only not top 'Avengers' because of 3D tickets.

Yeah.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:32 pm

non_amos wrote:And Nolan is sure to love that ticket scalping on eBay huh? But that money is actually going into someone else' pocket. Not exactly gonna help TDKR's bottom line. It's about like me selling a KISS album on eBay doesn't put money in Gene Simmons' pocket (much to his chagrin). Neither will it help TDKR's total box office.
Unless he's getting a percentage (which is a possibility), what would he care?

To your point though, the thing about the scalping that bugs me (apart from the sheer stupidity of it, I mean) is that you and I both know that unknown, unknowable, unmeasurable sales like those are going to become a Nolanite talking point eventually. "If you factor in the scalped ticket sales [which we can safely assume were all $500 a pop or more] and if you figure that there were a million such tickets sold [the comic book store guy told me his friend read about it on a blog] then TDKRises made $900 billion more than Avengers!!!!"

Just wait for it.

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:35 pm

Fuck it, I'm coming back to this. Here's the thing. With Chris Nolan's Batman movies, I basically know what I'm getting. So on that basis, the only real gripes I've got with the movie Hardly Bane and apparently Selina never being called Catwoman. Otherwise, the premise is kind of growing on me. No, it's not what I would consider a strictly in-character thing for Batman to do but, except for those other issues, I might've been willing to make allowance.

But all that stuff and the usual Nolanite hysteria? It's soiling the experience of the film already and we're still, what, a month away from the debut?

My point is that there are things about the movie I might've been willing to accept just so I could watch it with an open mind but I just don't see that happening now.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:07 pm

The Avengers boxoffice update:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=64537
BOX OFFICE: THE AVENGERS Expected To Finish With $616M Domestic; $1.5B Worldwide

How's that for a coincidence? (the world in the Marvel comic books is often referred to as the,"616 Universe") Marvel's The Avengers is expected to finish its domestic and worldwide run with the above figures and you can find more details after the jump. Josh Wilding - 7/25/2012

Forbes reports that Marvel's The Avengers is set to finish its worldwide run with a little more than $1.5 billion in total (it's impossible to be too specific at this point as it doesn't open in Japan until next month). Joss Whedon's superhero ensemble currently sits comfortably at the #3 spot of all-time highest grossing movies and that's where it will end its run, although the fact that it didn't take the top spot certainly doesn't lessen its achievement. Domestically, it has currently accumulated $615.280 million, and is expected to finish at $616 million by the end of next month before going on sale on DVD and Blu-ray in September. Marvel Studios took a big gamble when they decided to kick off a shared universe with 2008's Iron Man, and while there were a few stumbles along the way, it all came to a head with Marvel's The Avengers earlier this year in spectacular fashion. Of course, now that the film has been such a huge success, one the question remains. When will Earth's Mightiest Heroes return to the big screen?! For starters, Marvel Studios will need to get Robert Downey Jr. signed up for more movies (his commitment to them finishes with Iron Man 3).
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:59 pm

Hopefully resigning RDJ for AVENGERS 2 will be no problem. Let's just hope he doesn't demand more money & subsequently get fired. Wasn't that why Terrance Howard was fired after the first IRON MAN? Don Cheadle is a decent actor too but I just hated that cast change so soon & they didn't even favor either. Of course Downey is another story altogether. He is Marvel's 'bread & butter' right now. I'm sure both ends know it too. Let's just hope everything goes smoothly.

As for total box office, why did they schedule the Japanese theatrical release for August in the first place?! I'm not sure now if it was MIB III or what but something that came out right after the MARVEL'S THE AVENGERS was released in Japan at the same time or at least within a week or two. I know there was the earthquake & all a while back but if other films went ahead, why didn't Avengers? I don't get it?!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:52 pm

non_amos wrote:Hopefully resigning RDJ for AVENGERS 2 will be no problem. Let's just hope he doesn't demand more money & subsequently get fired. Wasn't that why Terrance Howard was fired after the first IRON MAN? Don Cheadle is a decent actor too but I just hated that cast change so soon & they didn't even favor either. Of course Downey is another story altogether. He is Marvel's 'bread & butter' right now. I'm sure both ends know it too. Let's just hope everything goes smoothly.

Marvel AIN'T that stupid. Did you see Disney fire Johnny Depp after he asked for a huge salary and a cut of the 'Pirates' franchise grosses? Yeah, me either...

And Howard actually had a contract that paid him more than EVERYBODY in the film. They asked him to renegotiate for a smaller paycheck for part 2. He said no. They said "Don Cheadle it is!" and cut him loose.

As for total box office, why did they schedule the Japanese theatrical release for August in the first place?! I'm not sure now if it was MIB III or what but something that came out right after the MARVEL'S THE AVENGERS was released in Japan at the same time or at least within a week or two. I know there was the earthquake & all a while back but if other films went ahead, why didn't Avengers? I don't get it?!

It just happens like that.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:14 pm

I don't rdjr would be gone any time soon. Yes his current contract I read is up after im3 but I bet he would sign a new one miniumially probably a 3 pic deal ie for avengers 2/avengers 3 and maybe a im4. And feige has mentioned in past he hopes robert stays for awhile. And robert has had a good deal with marvel so I can see him justing in for a few more pics.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:27 pm

Yeah & IRON MAN really helped his career too! It also turned what was considered a '2nd-tier' character into a major box office phenomenon. So I think it'd be foolish for either party to ruin that anytime soon. Besides, if age is a consideration, wasn't Tony Stark probably in his 40's anyway even in the comics? And had a bad heart. I suppose this is one character where age may not matter much, at least for the time being.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:45 pm

Ya tony age I don't see as a issue untill robert hits his 60s. But its not like we have to see tony in person fully for other films/cameos in later films. That could be reduced to the cgi face model they used in films and robert just doing voice work.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:53 am

With the labor day re-release we has bumped up avengers overall box office figures:
COLORS FIX- http://twitter.com/Boxoffice/status/242276071846866944
BOX OFFICE: Joss Whedon's THE AVENGERS Passes $1.5 Billion Worldwide!
With Marvel Studios and Disney expanding the Joss Whedon-helmed superhero epic The Avengers in 1700+ theatres this weekend, the film has now grossed more than $1.5 billion at the global box office. Check it out...
WolvieCBM - 9/2/2012

It's official! Joss Whedon & Marvel Studios' global phenomenon has passed the $1.5 billion mark at the worldwide box office (via BoxOffice.com). The film opened in Japan a couple of weeks ago, which helped its gross, but Disney have also put it in 1700+ theatres this Labor Day weekend in North America. The 4-day domestic estimate for The Avengers this weekend is $2.2 million, and the domestic gross is now $620.1 million. Internationally, it grossed $874 million.

Boxoffice @Boxoffice

New worldwide total for MARVEL'S THE AVENGERS: $1,501,800,000.
2 Sep 12

Marvel's The Avengers is the highest-grossing film of the year so far, and it's the third biggest film of all time, only behind Avatar and Titanic. The Blu-ray/DVD release of the film is set for September 25th. Marvel Studios presents in association with Paramount Pictures “Marvel’s The Avengers”--the super hero team up of a lifetime, featuring iconic Marvel super heroes Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow. When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, Director of the international peacekeeping agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D., finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster. Spanning the globe, a daring recruitment effort begins.

Starring Robert Downey, Jr., Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Hemsworth, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner and Samuel L. Jackson, & directed by Joss Whedon from a screenplay by Joss Whedon, “Marvel’s The Avengers” is based on the ever-popular Marvel comic book series “The Avengers,” first published in 1963 and a comics institution ever since. Prepare yourself for an exciting event movie, packed with action and spectacular special effects, when “Marvel’s The Avengers” assemble on May 4, 2012. The film is distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures. In addition to "Marvel's The Avengers," Marvel Studios will release a slate of films based on the Marvel characters including "Iron Man 3" on May 3, 2013; and “Thor 2” on November 8, 2013.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:32 pm

Web, that site doesn't work for me. Question
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:56 pm

Fixed. Guess something went wrong with his phone as he rushed between classes again.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5