Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread

5 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread

Post  non_amos Sun May 06, 2012 12:32 pm

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/170507-the-avengers-sets-new-opening-weekend-record-with-2003m

The Avengers Sets New Opening Weekend Record with $200.3M!

by SuperHeroHype
May 06, 2012

Walt Disney Pictures is projecting that Marvel's The Avengers will earn an estimated $200.3 million at the domestic box office this weekend from 4,349 locations, making it the highest-grossing debut of all time! The previous record of $169.2 million was held by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 last year. "The Avengers" averaged $46,063 per theater in North America.

The movie has become the fastest to reach the $200 million mark domestically in three days.

"The Avengers," which received an A+ CinemaScore, will cross the $600 million global box office mark today after just 12 days of release! The film added another $151.5 million this weekend internationally and has reached $441.5 million overseas from 52 territories. The movie's estimated global total after today is $641.8 million!

The global box office for "The Avengers" has already surpassed the global box office totals of Captain America: The First Avenger ($364 million), Thor ($449 million), Iron Man ($585 million) and Iron Man 2 ($624 million).

"The Avengers" has surpassed the international box office totals of Captain America: The First Avenger ($192 million), Iron Man ($266.7 million), Thor ($268.3 million) and Iron Man 2 ($311.5 million). The film had the biggest opening weekend of all time in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Central America, Peru, Bolivia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines. In Russia, the film earned $17.9 million.

I don't have time to comment at the moment but..............................................................

'NUFF SAID!!!!! Shocked
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread

Post  webhead2006 Sun May 06, 2012 12:37 pm

Now that is how you smash box office records. It will probably be awhile to we see that broke. And we are already well into passing a billion in probably another week/two weeks.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun May 06, 2012 5:32 pm

non_amos wrote:http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/170507-the-avengers-sets-new-opening-weekend-record-with-2003m

The Avengers Sets New Opening Weekend Record with $200.3M!

by SuperHeroHype
May 06, 2012

Walt Disney Pictures is projecting that Marvel's The Avengers will earn an estimated $200.3 million at the domestic box office this weekend from 4,349 locations, making it the highest-grossing debut of all time! The previous record of $169.2 million was held by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 last year. "The Avengers" averaged $46,063 per theater in North America.

The movie has become the fastest to reach the $200 million mark domestically in three days.

"The Avengers," which received an A+ CinemaScore, will cross the $600 million global box office mark today after just 12 days of release! The film added another $151.5 million this weekend internationally and has reached $441.5 million overseas from 52 territories. The movie's estimated global total after today is $641.8 million!

The global box office for "The Avengers" has already surpassed the global box office totals of Captain America: The First Avenger ($364 million), Thor ($449 million), Iron Man ($585 million) and Iron Man 2 ($624 million).

"The Avengers" has surpassed the international box office totals of Captain America: The First Avenger ($192 million), Iron Man ($266.7 million), Thor ($268.3 million) and Iron Man 2 ($311.5 million). The film had the biggest opening weekend of all time in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Central America, Peru, Bolivia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines. In Russia, the film earned $17.9 million.

I don't have time to comment at the moment but..............................................................

'NUFF SAID!!!!! Shocked
Fucking hell! $200 million in one weekend?!

Put another way, Avengers did in one fucking weekend what Singerman needed six months to do.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun May 06, 2012 5:56 pm

7/20/2012

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread - Page 2 Doa-mo10
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun May 06, 2012 9:01 pm

non_amos wrote:I don't really feel like researching it this late where I'm at but I just had a thought similar to what we've already wondered anyway. I just wonder exactly how duh apologists & Nolanites really feel about this film? I don't mean one or two who may have already been cited online but rather in general? For example, if I were to take at trip over to Eunuchland, what would the general consensus be? Yea or nay? I say in the coming days & weeks, even months, that we really keep an eye on this. It could provide us with some much-needed comic relief! Laughing

This is what I saw transpire on that retard-fest comicbookmovie.com:

Marvel fans calling out Nolanites for their boasts of box-office dominance, and potential 'Avengers' "flopability". Two sad, pathetic Nolanites come in and starts saying "The box office doesn't matter, it's score on Rotten Tomatoes does!!", and they then point to TDK's 94%. With me so far? Ok, then a Marvel fan points out that 'Iron Man' has the EXACT SAME SCORE as TDK on RT. To which same Nolanites CHANGE to "No, what matters is how many OSCARS were won!!".

So as you can see, first it was TDKR is going to destroy Avengers at the BO. Then the numbers start coming in, and all of a sudden THAT doesn't matter, it's score on a site owned by Warner Bros. does. Then, when that doesn't work, it now goes to Oscars, even though one was given because of a tragic death ONLY.

Nolanites are the new Apologists in every way, shape and form.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun May 06, 2012 11:39 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:So as you can see, first it was TDKR is going to destroy Avengers at the BO. Then the numbers start coming in, and all of a sudden THAT doesn't matter, it's score on a site owned by Warner Bros. does. Then, when that doesn't work, it now goes to Oscars, even though one was given because of a tragic death ONLY.
I love watching a Nolanite squirm. It long ago stopped being a sport for Apologists but Nolanites have yet to get their full comeuppance.

Apologist Puncher wrote:Nolanites are the new Apologists in every way, shape and form.
I'm not sure Nolanites were ever not Apologists, actually. Most Nolanites I can think of have some level of appreciation for Singerman. "The airplane sequence wasn't too bad", "I love the Donner tie-ins", "[BJ] should've been brought back for the reboot", etc. I'm starting to wonder that splitting the groups apart might have always been a false dichotomy.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon May 07, 2012 12:07 am

thecolorsblend wrote:I love watching a Nolanite squirm. It long ago stopped being a sport for Apologists but Nolanites have yet to get their full comeuppance.

Kind of hard to have a gunfight when the opposite side not only doesn't have bullets, but don't even have the GUNS....

I'm not sure Nolanites were ever not Apologists, actually. Most Nolanites I can think of have some level of appreciation for Singerman. "The airplane sequence wasn't too bad", "I love the Donner tie-ins", "[BJ] should've been brought back for the reboot", etc. I'm starting to wonder that splitting the groups apart might have always been a false dichotomy.

I guess I didn't pay much attention to Nolanites up until now.

My bad.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon May 07, 2012 12:11 am

You could call them a new breed of apologists, an off-shoot, if you will. Like how the Romulans branched off from the Vulcans, just not as cool though.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon May 07, 2012 12:44 am

Does it really even matter score on rt. That can change wwith user edits right? I rather just go by forum posts, and box office numbers on success of a film.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon May 07, 2012 12:58 am

All I know is, TDKR is not gonna be the 'shoe-in' for winning the summer like duh critics & Nolanites thought it'd be! It's a very steep climb from here, Mr. Nolan. Even TDK didn't open this well & it had the 'perfect storm' of factors surrounding it. Whatcha gonna do, Mr. Nolan, when THE HULK runs wild on you?! Whatcha gonna do?!

Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread - Page 2 Hulk3b10
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon May 07, 2012 10:42 pm

Great to see the final numbers end up higher then the expected totals from Sunday. And great to see how much it has made totally worldwide. I definately think we can hit a bill very soon.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon May 07, 2012 10:58 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:I love watching a Nolanite squirm. It long ago stopped being a sport for Apologists but Nolanites have yet to get their full comeuppance.

Kind of hard to have a gunfight when the opposite side not only doesn't have bullets, but don't even have the GUNS....

I guess I didn't pay much attention to Nolanites up until now.

My bad.
My remarks are mostly based on limited observation. Apologists are sometimes fun to mess with for sport but I just don't have any tolerance for Nolanites so I avoid them like the plague.

TCB- "No matter how good a job, Ledger's Joker is the Joker in name only. You know that, right?"
Nolanite- "He exemplified the true spirit of the character!"
TCB- "Uh, no he didn't. The Joker would never in a million years say 'and I thought my jokes were bad.' Not even as a throwaway line. He's psychologically incapable of ever saying those words."
Nolanite- "Ledger won an Oscar for his bravura performance in this unforgettable film."
TCB- "Not really my point. In fact, it's the complete opposite of my point. That portrayal of the Joker borders on being the polar opposite of everything the character has been up to in the comics for at least twenty or thirty years."
Nolanite- "Nolan adapted the core essence!"

And so on. As you say, when they don't even address the point at hand, what the hell are you left with? And this whole Burtonite vs. Nolanite shit? I guarandamntee you it wasn't the so-called Burtonites who set up that dichotomy.

Anyway. If there is a difference between Nolanites and Apologists, my best guess is that Nolanites tend to have a somewhat stronger command of language, spelling, grammar, etc. But otherwise, they aren't too far apart in terms of rhetoric, argumentation and all those things.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue May 08, 2012 1:23 am

A frog:

Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread - Page 2 Bullfr10

A toad:

Marvel's 'The Avengers' Official Box-Office Thread - Page 2 Toad_110

Related species. Similar yet different.

Now how's that for an Apologist vs. Nolanite analogy? Wink
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue May 08, 2012 1:52 am

Although Webhead made reference to it, I think it's worth actually posting:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/170517-the-avengers-opens-bigger-than-expected-with-2074-million

The Avengers Opens Bigger Than Expected with $207.4 Million!

by SuperHeroHype
May 07, 2012

Marvel's The Avengers has posted the biggest domestic opening weekend of all time with $207.4 million for May 4-6, The Walt Disney Studios announced today. The previous record of $169.2 million was held by Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 last year. The Super Hero team-up crossed the $600 million threshold at the global box office in 12 days, and its cumulative worldwide box office gross is an estimated $654.8 million.

"'Marvel's The Avengers' is something we've been carefully building toward since we began production on the first 'Iron Man' film, and it is quite rewarding for all of us that 'The Avengers' is appealing around the globe to both passionate fans and general audiences alike. It is a testament to all involved with this film that audiences across the board are embracing the film in this record-setting way," said Marvel's The Avengers producer Kevin Feige.

“Joss Whedon, Kevin Feige and the whole Marvel team have done something really incredible with 'The Avengers,'” said Dave Hollis, Executive Vice President, Theatrical Exhibition Sales and Distribution, The Walt Disney Studios. “From the super-talented cast to the spectacular visual effects, it’s a grand slam, and we’re proud to be a part of this history-making film.”

In just three days, Marvel's The Avengers is the fastest movie to reach $200 million domestically. The domestic debut kicked off Friday, May 4, and marks the second-highest single-day take of all time at $80.8 million, followed by record-breaking days on Saturday ($69.5 million) and Sunday ($57 million). Moviegoers gave Marvel’s The Avengers a rare and perfect A+ CinemaScore.

Marvel's The Avengers began opening internationally April 25 and has set records as the biggest opening weekend of all time in Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Ecuador, Central America, Peru, Bolivia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, and United Arab Emirates. It opened in Russia May 3 with $17.9 million to make it the biggest Marvel opening weekend ever. It debuted in China on May 5 with $18 million over two days. Marvel's The Avengers has now opened in all major markets except Israel (May 10), Poland (May 11), and Japan (August 17).

"The Avengers" has also surpassed IMAX's domestic opening weekend box office record by generating $15.3 million of the film's record-setting domestic gross, resulting in an IMAX per-screen average of approximately $56,000 in 275 digital IMAX®️ theaters. Internationally, the film generated approximately $6.1 million over the weekend in 176 IMAX theaters, of which 80 were debut runs. This brings IMAX's international total to $16 million. The film also set a new IMAX three-day opening weekend global box office record with $21.4 million, bringing the worldwide gross to $31.3 million in IMAX theatres worldwide since its global release on April 25.

The film's successful debut comes a month after Marvel and Disney announced that a sequel to 2011's Captain America: The First Avenger will be released April 4, 2014. A sequel to last summer's Thor is scheduled for release November 15, 2013, and the third installment of the hit "Iron Man" series, which has earned over $1.2 billion worldwide, will arrive in theaters May 3, 2013.

Marvel's The Avengers is the first Marvel Studios film to be marketed and distributed by The Walt Disney Studios.

Man! This just keeps getting better & better! Mini-Bane doesn't stand a chance! lol!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue May 08, 2012 5:15 am

One nice legacy I think Avengers will leave us with is a new Marvel Studios movie coming along every year now. You've got Iron Man and Thor in 2013, Captain America in 2014 and, hey, very possibly a Ruffalo Hulk film in 2015 (bring it on!). And shit, Avengers 2 in 2016? The constant rotations will probably keep everything fresh for audiences.

And this is not to speak of the likely spillover effect the success of the Avengers is likely to have on the individual franchises. My guess is that Cap 2, Thor 2, Iron Man 3, etc, all may be more successful thanks to the Avengers connection than if they'd been offered up as individual features/universes.

Right now, Marvel Studios is in a GREAT place and they've EARNED every last bit of their success.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue May 08, 2012 10:01 am

I just wish that WB/DC would 'get the memo'. Suspect
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue May 08, 2012 11:22 am

Yup we should have a lot coming each year with the sequels to cap/thor/ironman, then avengers 2, antman, possible dr. Strange, luke cage/iron fist, guardians of the galaxy films. We have a good bunch of characters to see what they do.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed May 09, 2012 11:42 am

Avengers To Break 1 billion dollars Soon:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2012/05/08/why-the-avengers-will-top-900-million-next-weekend-maybe-even-1-billion/
Why 'The Avengers' Will Top $900 Million Next Weekend, Maybe Even $1 Billion
+ Comment now

Updated figures show that The Avengers has amassed more than $700 million in just 13 days. The size of the film’s box office and huge weekday audience attendance means, even with hypothetical large percentage declines in attendance the rest of the week and the weekend, the film is on pace to sit at $900 million after close of business next Sunday. If business doesn’t suffer large declines and in fact remains steady, the film will end up somewhere between $950 and perhaps even a staggering $1 billion after 19 full days in release.

Think those numbers sound too high? Think again…

Sitting at $702 million worldwide this morning, The Avengers took in $18.9 million on Monday. If the rest of the week it only does about half that much per day, and it suffers around a 65% drop over the weekend, it will still amass roughly $100 million domestically through next Sunday. That means it only has to make maybe $98 million overseas from yesterday through next Sunday, a rather easy feat for the film to achieve, obviously. Which brings us to $900 million, assuming those larger declines. Assume LESS declines, and you see how the domestic numbers could leap by $50 million from now through Sunday, meaning the overseas numbers need only achieve another $50 million over seven days for the film to break the $1 billion barrier.

I’ll hedge my bets for now and say the film is likely to end the weekend at somewhere between $900-950 million. I’ll reassess on Thursday, when we’ve got the numbers for Tuesday and Wednesday domestic box office receipts, and might revise my guess to $950 million to $1 billion if it topped $15 million each day through Wednesday.

So prepare yourselves, folks, for some pretty shocking numbers next weekend. Even the lower end of $900 million should have jaws dropping, and if it does manage the magic $1 billion figure after just three weeks, we’ll all be wondering just how high it’s gonna go.

Follow me on Twitter, on Google+, and on Quora. Read my blog.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed May 09, 2012 11:16 pm

You guys notice who is conspicuously absent from this thread?

ComicbookDouche#1.

"uh we no no wat moofie gona be numa 1 dis simmer'

The fuck we don't.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun May 13, 2012 12:30 am

Box office update:
http://m.superherohype.com/news/articles/170605-the-avengers-will-cross-300-million-and-take-2nd-weekend-record
The Avengers Will Cross $300 Million and Claim 2nd Weekend Record by Edward Douglas May 12, 2012 Share this story

Gross hits $854 million globally in just over two weeks

With Walt Disney Pictures reporting another $29 million estimated gross for Marvel's The Avengers for Friday, the movie has grossed $299 million to date domestically and is looking to cross the $300 million mark sometime today.

It's also looking to destroy the current second weekend record for a movie, currently held by James Cameron's Avatar with $75.6 million as well as The Dark Knight's second weekend take of $75.2 million as projections have it bringing in as much as $100 million in its second weekend, down roughly 51% from its record opening.

Worldwide, the movie has grossed $854 million through yesterday, which should put it among the Top 20 all-time global blockbusters by weekend's end, placing it in the realm of Jurassic Park and some of the "Harry Potter" movies after a little over two weeks.

Check back later this weekend for updated numbers for what's turning out to not only be the biggest hit of 2012 but also one of the biggest blockbusters of all time.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun May 13, 2012 12:35 am

There are people out there who make a living doing tracking on these things so I usually leave it to them but, fuck me, this baby is currently at $832 million worldwide. Surely this thing has a good chance of joining The Billion Dollar Club...

*ahem* Your move, Nolan.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun May 13, 2012 12:40 am

Yup hell if the final weekend numbers keep up we should hit a billby mon, if not at least by mid week.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun May 13, 2012 12:49 am

webhead2006 wrote:Yup hell if the final weekend numbers keep up we should hit a billby mon, if not at least by mid week.
Admittedly, I haven't followed the numbers day by day (or at all really after opening weekend) but I had no idea they were trending that strong. That's amazing! A $220 million investment and by now Marvel Studios have got to have recuped their investment. Maybe not in the States (yet!) but internationally? This sucker's paid for itself, and then some.

It really gets me even more stoked for Avengers 2. If this is what Marvel Studios is up to, the only concern I have is that they may not hit the same standard with a sequel. In some ways, Avengers has appeal on the grounds of being a novelty. The second one has to prove the first wasn't a fluke. Considering the crazy amount of good will the movie has generated, I'm convinced this isn't lightning in a bottle. There's a formula but the single concern I have is that Marvel abide by it. Put the same level of TLC into Avengers 2 and get ready for similar results. I don't see how it could be otherwise if they stick to making a quality product.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun May 13, 2012 12:53 am

I know colors I am so please the film is good, has great wom and good staying power. I too wish we had avengers two happpening asap. But I know will be a bit. Since we got sequels, and some new films on the docket first. But way to go marvel for showing how to do a comic book blockbuster.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun May 13, 2012 1:24 am

Once it makes three times it's production budget, it is "technically" profitable. But, with HollyWeird "accounting", that's not an official thing.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next