Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10.21-22, Finale (spoilers)

+5
lib
non_amos
Father Finian
webhead2006
Apologist Puncher
9 posters

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19

Go down

10.21-22, Finale (spoilers) - Page 19 Empty Re: 10.21-22, Finale (spoilers)

Post  webhead2006 Mon May 16, 2011 5:25 pm

I still don't think it was tom or wb pulling rank. I do recall the producers saying they had free reign for final season. But ya it will probably be a long time to we know if any answers come out.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon May 16, 2011 10:51 pm

More news on Complete series set:
http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/15400#ixzz1MZG5mAWX
We brought you Warner Home Video's press release last this past month for the 62-DVD release of Smallville - The Complete Series...which the studio still hasn't nailed down a specific release date for. We presume it will be available on the same street date as Smallville - The Complete 10th Season on DVD and high-def Blu-ray Disc, but that hasn't been formally announced either.

We mentioned in March that VideoETA, a site produced by the retail distribution arm of Ingram Entertainment, had shown a November 8th date for Season 10, but they've since removed that date. Also, Amazon.com's pre-order listings for Season 10 show an image which looks like it could be a DVD box cover, but our sources tell us that Warner has not finalized the product packaging and that what you see at Amazon may or may not turn out to be what ends up on store shelves. So at this time we're waiting for the official studio distribution of that package art.

Where Smallville - The Complete Series is concerned, though, we've got an update for you. In late 2005 and early 2006, the producers of Smallville put together a pilot called Mercy Reef, later called simply Aquaman. It starred Justin Hartley as "Arthur Curry/Aquaman", but the pilot didn't get picked up so Hartley ended up on Smallville playing "Oliver Queen/Green Arrow" (and eventually meeting Smallville's version of "A.C./Aquaman", played by Alan Ritchson). Because of the various ties to Smallville, fans have been asking us whether Warner would possibly include the Aquaman/Mercy Reef pilot on the Smallville - The Complete Series set. After all, it was available on DVD exclusively as a Best Buy bonus disc in a special Smallville promotion in 2007, at a time soon after the sixth season came to market. Later, it was also included on Blu-ray format, in the general release of the DTV title Justice League - Crisis on Two Earths, in that title's BD version.

Now we're informed that Warner Home Video will indeed include the Aquaman/Mercy Reef pilot on the Smallville - The Complete Series package's on-disc bonus materials. So, for the first time ever, this item will be available in a widely-distributed DVD release. We're glad Warner could make that happen. And we know that they are still looking for other cool material to include on this set, so stay tuned and we'll let you know if they find anything else. On the other hand, Warner has had to address one other thing that the fans have brought up. A few weeks ago, we passed along word from the studio that the reason The Complete Series would not be available in a Blu-ray Disc version, is because the special effects created for the earliest seasons is not at a resolution high enough for that format. Since then, fans have accused Warner of fudging the truth in this matter, because they note that those first few seasons of Smallville are available in HD at some places. This has caused the studio to revise their earlier statement, addressing the differences between 720p HD downloads, and the 1080p quality that consumers look for in a Blu-ray Disc purchase. Here's their official statement, revised with that information:

"At this time, Warner Home Video does not have plans to release SMALLVILLE: THE COMPLETE SERIES on Blu-ray due to technical issues present in the first seasons. These differences include standard definition technical aspects, most notably within special effects, that do not format suitably to Blu-ray 1080p standards. These episodes are available for download in 720p high definition."

And so that is that. I think many studios have taken note of the fact that a number of fans for Highlander: The Series haven't been completely satisfied with the Blu-ray Disc quality of that show, which was created with special effects for standard-definition quality broadcast and was upconverted to 720p levels for BD releases. And that's certainly not a knock on the folks behind those items: they have worked hard to bring fans the best quality possible. However, if Warner chooses not to go that route with Smallville, then we kind-of understand. And here we've gotten some hate e-mail from a couple of fans for passing along that word from the studio. Hey, don't shoot the messenger. We call 'em like we see 'em. In the future, if reruns of Smallville can turn into the kind of money-maker that the first two seasons of Star Trek have, then maybe the "TNG" remastering rumored to be in the works won't be the last time that happens!

Stay tuned, Super-fans, and we'll update you further about Smallville - The Complete Series AND Smallville - The Complete 10th Series, once Warner Home Video releases their finalized plans!
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat May 28, 2011 1:15 am

I don't know what the hell is up with this guy's inability to post a link to the original fucking page but it's seriously starting to piss me off. In any case...

Hollywood Reporter by way of Superman Supersite wrote:In a recent interview with the Hollywood Reporter, Smallville executive producer Brian Peterson talked about the series finale and why Tom Welling never wore the complete Superman Costume.

"What we wanted to do all along was show hints at where he was going because that is a whole different story that is yet to be told," Peterson told THR. "It felt like it gave just enough without starting to tell a whole different story that is left for all the other media."

In the finale, Welling is only seen wearing the upper-half of the Superman suit while the only scenes showing a fully suited Superman are from a distance and via CGI.

"[Showing Tom in the full suit] to me is just not super relevant and not what we were trying to do," stated Peterson. "We were actually thrilled that everybody came together and was on board with the shots that we specifically picked."

"We all wanted it to be the end of Clark Kent’s journey because it's a show about Clark Kent," he added. "In the days when we saw him in a flannel shirt, the suit was the furthest thing from his mind."

URL- http://www.supermansupersite.com/05271038.html

EDIT- Tom Welling facebook fan page FTW.

Hollywood Reporter URL- http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/smallville-why-we-didn-t-192811
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  BHoward Sat May 28, 2011 4:09 am

That was the biggest bunch of bullshit. The producers obviously know what side their bread is buttered on. Obviously they had restrictions from the film division and now they are doing the Hollywood two step like good little soldiers. Protecting their careers by falling on their swords per se for the film division. They had no intention of showing welling in the suit. There is no way wb was gonna let their be direct comparisons of welling and cavill and have man of steel crash like that other bullshit movie. We're being old a bill of goods here folks. I'm extremely disappointed in this line of crappy they are trying to feed us. I just hope they don't force tw embarrass himself by following this same course.

BHoward
SuperFriend
SuperFriend

User Reputation : 14

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat May 28, 2011 10:43 am

Ya not much of a real answer there from peterson/souders.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat May 28, 2011 11:03 am

BHoward wrote:That was the biggest bunch of bullshit. The producers obviously know what side their bread is buttered on. Obviously they had restrictions from the film division and now they are doing the Hollywood two step like good little soldiers. Protecting their careers by falling on their swords per se for the film division. They had no intention of showing welling in the suit. There is no way wb was gonna let their be direct comparisons of welling and cavill and have man of steel crash like that other bullshit movie. We're being old a bill of goods here folks. I'm extremely disappointed in this line of crappy they are trying to feed us. I just hope they don't force tw embarrass himself by following this same course.

I'll tell you the truth, I can't help but at least somewhat agree with you. I can't help but feel that we're being sold a 'bill of goods' so to speak, a 'politically correct' answer that's supposed to be an answer.....but isn't, really. Duh apologists at duh Homopage, especially 'Sabaoth', like to cite how 'Welling screwed us', to paraphrase his feelings, as if he really hated Superman & had NO intention of being seen in the suit. I don't believe like 'Sabaoth' but by the same token, I can't help but feel like there's 'something rotten in Denmark' here either. You can't tell me that the 'TPTB' didn't realize there was a lot riding on Welling in the suit & that the fans would be disappointed! Although Rosenbaum's return as Lex was the bigger disappointment for me, I, like you, don't really like the 'glimpses' we got. Oh sure, we 'sorta' got Superman, which was better than nothing, but OTOH, you're still disappointed!

As for the film division, I guess that goes back to the 'PC' answer we got from them. Isn't it a thing in Hollyweird about 'denying' things that you're not ready and/or not willing to discuss yet? I think there's even a term for it but I can't exactly remember what it is. Anyway, we're now hearing very little about the film so either Nolan & Snyder have it 'top secret', or there's problems. I vote for the former. But yeah, I can see the film division 'pulling rank' anyway, regardless of what SV's producers said. No
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat May 28, 2011 11:24 am

Propbably so man. We probably will have a different answer from folks in coming months and all that.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat May 28, 2011 1:09 pm

Well,it didn't take duh apologists long to get a hold of this:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=9843#comments

As of this writing, 46 comments & rising. Probably too many to 'copy & paste' here without taking up too much space but here's a 'sampling':

#3 | oldskool2001 on May 28, 2011 1:54am EST
If Tom gets asked point-blank why he didn't wear the suit in the finale, he'll say something like "I was never supposed to. It was never written for me to wear it." This way he can pass the buck to the writers. And when the writers get asked point-blank why he didn't wear the suit, we get answers like the one we got in this interview. Whatever. The show's done. I'm over it. Moving on.
#4 | Super Mario on May 28, 2011 2:14am EST
Fail.
#5 | Ricardo on May 28, 2011 2:19am EST
what a lame explaination frick off Peterson!!!
Tom welling Was too fat too put the suit lolollol
#6 | Enigma2099 on May 28, 2011 2:24am EST
Whatever... the fact that this show even exists makes my head hurt. YOU HAD FREAKING DOOMSDAY ON THE SHOW!!! DOOMSDAY!!! And yet no suit... yeah, that makes sense.

Show's over. Least they could do is man up and tell the truth as to why.
#7 | NeoRanger on May 28, 2011 2:25am EST
I... honestly don't care. Whatever they say, whether true or not, it's not going to change the fact that the finale of their series was a cop-out. For whatever reason. The fact that they keep using the same PR BS, paper-thin catch-phrases they were using for ten years whenever confronted about the lack of necessity of the "no tights, no flights" rule means that they know they were writing a cop-out right there.
#8 | Daniel McIntosh on May 28, 2011 2:46am EST
what a crock of you know what... Why don't they try smelling what they're shoveling...
#9 | smallvilletna on May 28, 2011 2:48am EST
Whatever brain & Kelly you guys can kiss my butt I've been watching this crap for 10 damn years and I all I got was a cgi superman if I wanted to see that I watch superman returns and don't gave me that nonsense it's about Clark because last time I check Clark is also superman. I'm not gonna repeat what everybody been saying it just hate when people say that this show about Clark if you guys enjoy the it good for you but I'm mad at myself for watching this crap for 10 years.

I was expecting 'Sabaoth' to fit his stereotype but his comment so far doesn't seem too out of line:

#1 | Sabaoth on May 28, 2011 1:27am EST
In other words, they are not putting the rumors to rest or really resolving the question on everyone's mind.
What I am happy about is the fact that the Smallville TPTB are aware of the controversy surrounding the fact that Tom Welling did not put on the Superman suit.
I hope a certain executive producer by the name of Tom Welling puts something on the record soon, just for closure.
I am a Smallville fan; I watched the show for years. I enjoyed the finale, I for one loved the Lionel Zombie Darkseid!
....but....
I want to know why Tom didn't put on the suit.
The fans deserve to know.

But I thought Sabaoth was a 'hater'. So what's up with this?! To also add what appears to mirror some of our own feelings, here's some quotes from one of their administrators, Noah Runzo:

#13 | Noah Runzo on May 28, 2011 5:16am EST
I can't believe these producers. Thanks a lot guys. I know the whole series was about the "journey" of Clark but after 10 years. TEN YEARS!!! of watching this show, I would at least liked to seen Clark become Superman and wear the suit and do some super-feats.....I mean come on. It would not have ruined your show nor would it have ruined the Man of Steel movie. The whole thing was a total cop-out and I was pissed.
#14 | Noah Runzo on May 28, 2011 5:18am EST
And don't even get me started about the mind-raping of Lex's memories.....ridiculous. Whoever wrote that needs to be tied to a chair and forced to watch the entire series over again and especially all of the Lana parts.

So, just 'another day at the office' at duh Homopage or what?! Wink
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat May 28, 2011 1:16 pm

What moronic comments.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat May 28, 2011 9:18 pm

Sooooo, instead of releasing some 'Man Of Steel' tidbits for "deflection", they let websites and people continually trash 'Smallville' and it's decision-making non-stop for 2 weeks?

10.21-22, Finale (spoilers) - Page 19 Wha
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun May 29, 2011 9:12 am

Normally I'd go on a tear about this but I'm in way too good a mood to let a bunch of Apologists fuck things up for me right now. Went to a Con on Saturday dressed as The Blur (black coat and everything) even though I look absolutely NOTHING like Tom Welling or Superman. My outfit got recognized left, right and center by TONS of people and they all thought it was cool.

THE FANS are what count in this, not the douches on the Eunuch page.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun May 29, 2011 7:31 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Normally I'd go on a tear about this but I'm in way too good a mood to let a bunch of Apologists fuck things up for me right now. Went to a Con on Saturday dressed as The Blur (black coat and everything) even though I look absolutely NOTHING like Tom Welling or Superman. My outfit got recognized left, right and center by TONS of people and they all thought it was cool.

10.21-22, Finale (spoilers) - Page 19 PICSHAPPEN66666

Cool
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun May 29, 2011 7:44 pm

See, that's the thing, all the pics people took of me are in their possession so naturally I don't have access to them.

I do have a pic of Farrah Forke (Mayson from Lois & Clark) beaming over my girlfriend's daughter though.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun May 29, 2011 8:16 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:See, that's the thing, all the pics people took of me are in their possession so naturally I don't have access to them.

I do have a pic of Farrah Forke (Mayson from Lois & Clark) beaming over my girlfriend's daughter though.

10.21-22, Finale (spoilers) - Page 19 Sonic_Sez_That__s_No_Good_by_jared811111
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Tue May 31, 2011 3:43 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:Normally I'd go on a tear about this but I'm in way too good a mood to let a bunch of Apologists fuck things up for me right now. Went to a Con on Saturday dressed as The Blur (black coat and everything) even though I look absolutely NOTHING like Tom Welling or Superman. My outfit got recognized left, right and center by TONS of people and they all thought it was cool.

10.21-22, Finale (spoilers) - Page 19 PICSHAPPEN66666

Cool

Yeah, I want to see this too!

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Tue May 31, 2011 3:44 am

thecolorsblend wrote:See, that's the thing, all the pics people took of me are in their possession so naturally I don't have access to them.

Nice try but no cigar.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Belltown213 Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:18 am

^^^
Pretty epic fan made trailer using footage from the finale of SV.
Belltown213
Belltown213
Kirk Alyn
Kirk Alyn

User Reputation : 5

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:05 am

Thanks. That was quite good.

With what's happening in the DC Universe, I'd happily sign on for more of that Superman.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:50 pm

Cruised eyesskyward.com to revisit the BJ section's gnashing of teeth over the Cavill casting announcement from back in January (and was pretty disappointed; lots of other forums had far more spectacular Apologist meltdowns) and ended up checking out the reactions to the SV finale.

I noticed that a lot of the negative people prefaced their ramblings with "I wasn't a regular viewer but..." Well dude, if you weren't a regular viewer, your opinion doesn't count for "jack" or "shit" with me. Contrary to what some bloated cow of an Apologist cum-dumpster might've told you, not all opinions are "equally valid". One butt-nugget even wrote that the most he'd ever watched was a few episodes of season 1 from the initial broadcast run. Yeah, there's a trustworthy source, lemme tell ya...

Another big "problem" was that the finale "wasn't epic enough". As ever, the problem comes down to the regular joe not knowing as much about [INSERT SUBJECT] as he thinks. TV production always has two major factors working against it- time and money. A big budget film has a relatively more relaxed production period and oodles more money (there truly is no comparison on a budget-per-minute basis). By necessity, TV does "small and intimate"... and frequently better than film does. Film, on the other hand, does "larger than life" on a level that TV just can't compete with. It's the unavoidable nature of each beast.

One prick even called me out personally, re: the Singerman bikini, the Gary Frank art and some other stuff. Mind you, this is the same numbskull who complains about Darkseid using avatars, representatives, conspiracies, etc, rather than operating openly as a mustache-twirling supervillain. That fuckwit seriously needs to pick up a pre-1990's Darkseid comic. He's also the same guy who bitched that all 22 episodes hadn't been written and finalized before cameras even rolled for season 10. You try breaking, pitching, writing, revising and then finalizing even five episodes of a show in less than one month. Let me know how it goes. And when actors' availability unexpectedly change, budgets are increased/decreased, guest stars unexpectedly become available/unavailable, the network changes the rules, etc... again, let me know how it goes. Idiot. And yes, I'm talking about that "Vadakin" faggot.

To be honest (since that's what we're about around here), wiping Lex's memory was a retarded fucking idea. SV fan or not, I'm not going to ignore shit ideas just because it's a Superman adaptation I like. I usually leave that for the Apologists. The Lex amnesia shit was just unnecessary. If Lex HAD to forget Clark's secret (which I don't think is an absolute; there's juice to Lex knowing damn good and well who Superman truly is), there were any number of ways to make him forget that DIDN'T wipe out his entire series arc. This was a dumbass idea from the get-go, I don't care what anybody says or who says it.

Lionel's Darkseid voice... no. Just no. Maybe it's a Monday morning quarterback thing to say but Lionel should've been clean-shaven and dressed to the nines before he sacrifices himself for Lex... while the Darkseid version should've had the ratty suit, the shaggy beard, the zombie make up, etc. And... a different voice. Overdub something. Anything. But the cheesy digital distortion and bass was just.. bleh!

The Jonathan stuff was pure gold. I had fears of what it might be like. But the execution played very well. "Always hold on to Smallville". Indeed, sir.

There were other highs and lows but bottom line? The finale gave me most of what I wanted, a lot of shit I wasn't expecting and even a few surprises. Not bad for a story that we knew or could've guessed 99% of before even seeing a frame.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:16 pm

This could be a reflection on the individual viewer's IQ. I dunno. But I should add that I've noticed that some fans are really only equipped to discuss (not even critique) aesthetics. "The S-emblem is too low on his chest", "the reds are too dark", "the cape is too long", etc. I regard these people as being stupid in general. They may or may not make valid points about aesthetics but they're just not very intelligent folks. The best, brightest and sharpest among Apologists are in this category and NEVER go beyond it. So obviously the bar's set pretty low.

The next tier is equipped to discuss plot. "They should've brought Darkseid into bigger prominence earlier in the season", "Clark should've been wearing glasses since season 4", etc. These folks are surprisingly common on the net. But even so, a lot of this is preference rather than genuine criticism. "It should be the way I want it to be because I want it that way!" When people talk about the juvenile behavior inherent to the Internet, I think they're largely referring to this group. They're just smart enough to be dangerous.

The top tier, from what I can gather, can discern THEME. "Clark and Lex go on parallel character arcs through much of the series, even if that was somewhat diminished beginning in season 4 and then eliminated entirely after season 7... but kinda sorta reprised in Finale." It's the rare shmuck who picks up on this stuff in the first place among the rank and file of fans. Once it's pointed out, others can usually follow (if you don't use too many big words anyway) but they usually don't catch half this stuff most of the time... which is one reason, I maintain, why the average Gusher looks like a deer in the headlights when you ask him to expound upon all the layers of themes and motive supposedly embedded in TDK.

Anywho.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:28 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:After watching "Icarus" last night, I have a feeling I know how the suit is going to come into play, and why.

Hawkman talked a lot about the "Darkness" over-taking people, and how it took something to drive it out of people. That it took something "special" in order to do so. And that leads me to believe Clark donning the suit will be what "inspires" people to drive this "Darkness" out of them. Which means we will see Welling in his suit for more than just a few minutes. No "shirt rip" to end the final episode, no flying shot of him. Welling in suit fighting Darkseid.

Watch the episode again, and pay attention to that part and you'll see.
Only just stumbled across this again. This ended up being pretty accurate. Maybe not the "Welling in suit fighting Darkseid" thing so much but the big picture there is pretty much what happened.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:36 am

thecolorsblend wrote:
Apologist Puncher wrote:After watching "Icarus" last night, I have a feeling I know how the suit is going to come into play, and why.

Hawkman talked a lot about the "Darkness" over-taking people, and how it took something to drive it out of people. That it took something "special" in order to do so. And that leads me to believe Clark donning the suit will be what "inspires" people to drive this "Darkness" out of them. Which means we will see Welling in his suit for more than just a few minutes. No "shirt rip" to end the final episode, no flying shot of him. Welling in suit fighting Darkseid.

Watch the episode again, and pay attention to that part and you'll see.
Only just stumbled across this again. This ended up being pretty accurate. Maybe not the "Welling in suit fighting Darkseid" thing so much but the big picture there is pretty much what happened.

Ha. Nostra-Freakin'-Damus I should be called!
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:41 am

You sure should be ap, you have called it on a lot of things..
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 19 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 17, 18, 19