Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman)

+2
webhead2006
thecolorsblend
6 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 5 Empty Re: DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman)

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat May 05, 2012 9:08 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:My question and subsequent follow up were in response to his idiotic question. I know perfectly well which Superman book Jurgens and Giffen work(ed) on. The idea was to make this into a teachable moment. Even if you didn't know... Google is your friend.

Point taken.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 5 Empty Re: DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman)

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:35 pm

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=61805

DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 5 Superman-0-rocafort-promo_02
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:47 am

*sigh*

Armor...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Alf Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:53 am

Ugh. I was kind of growing used to seeing that suit (even though I still don't like it) but it seems to just look worse than ever on that picture. Superman's face also seems off to me. Just doesn't look all that Supermanly... and it's been very inconsistent through this new 52 run. DC needs to get their shit together.

Also, am I the only one here who is fed up with the glowing eyes? I mean, seriously, come on! It's like every cover with Superman on it has the red eyes. It's STUPID! I whish they'd stop overusing it like that.
Alf
Alf
Dean Cain
Dean Cain

User Reputation : 35

http://www.manofsteel.com

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:45 pm

Alf wrote:Ugh. I was kind of growing used to seeing that suit (even though I still don't like it) but it seems to just look worse than ever on that picture. Superman's face also seems off to me. Just doesn't look all that Supermanly... and it's been very inconsistent through this new 52 run. DC needs to get their shit together.

Also, am I the only one here who is fed up with the glowing eyes? I mean, seriously, come on! It's like every cover with Superman on it has the red eyes. It's STUPID! I whish they'd stop overusing it like that.
I can't remember it being overused until Jim Lee showed up. After then, it's like it almost became part of the Superman bible that he has glowing eyes in every other panel.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Alf Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:25 am

thecolorsblend wrote:
Alf wrote:Ugh. I was kind of growing used to seeing that suit (even though I still don't like it) but it seems to just look worse than ever on that picture. Superman's face also seems off to me. Just doesn't look all that Supermanly... and it's been very inconsistent through this new 52 run. DC needs to get their shit together.

I can't remember it being overused until Jim Lee showed up. After then, it's like it almost became part of the Superman bible that he has glowing eyes in every other panel.

Yeah that's what I meant, it's being overdone lately. I mean I've been noticing it for a while but it's just gone into overboard since the new 52. But im tired of this generic art anyway, especially Jim Lee's. He's overrated. I really miss the days of Curt Swan. There's just no one like him around these days, only Jim Lee clones it seems. Sad
Alf
Alf
Dean Cain
Dean Cain

User Reputation : 35

http://www.manofsteel.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:36 pm

DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 5 Supes
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:17 pm

Ha. From Bleeding Cool:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/18/swipe-file-superman-and-tom-cruise/

DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 5 Superman-0-rocafort-promo_02-500x660DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 5 Vanity-fair-cruise-resized
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:52 am

ha that is a funny comparison there.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:12 pm

http://comicbook.com/blog/2012/06/24/the-new-52-superman-perez/

New 52′s Superman Not What Perez Wanted It To Be
By: Russ Burlingame on June 24, 2012

Ever since DMZ writer Brian Wood’s pitch for Supergirl was reportedly nixed at the last possible moment before the launch of DC Comics’ New 52 initiative, there have been rumors–mostly unconfirmed, as creators working on the books are reportedly operating under non-disclosure agreements–that working conditions in today’s DC Universe are…stressful.

While there have been passing comments to confirm that from a variety of writers and artists, the most in-depth remarks on the subject to date have surfaced on Bleeding Cool, where a Q&A conducted by former Superman writer/artist George Perez earlier this month is excerpted at some length. The video is embedded below, ywhich you can see as well. It’s a profoundly revealing interview but, among other things, he revealed that at some point in the process of rebooting Superman for the New 52, he began just telling his editors to change whatever they needed to change and not send it back to him for corrections that would only be ignored and re-corrected again later.

“Unfortunately when you are writing major characters, you sometimes have to make a lot of compromises and I was made certain promises,” Bleeding Cool quotes Perez as saying. “Unfortunately not through any fault of Dan DiDio, he was no longer the last word, lot of people making decisions, going against each other, contradicting, again in mid-story. The people who love my Superman arc, I thank you. What you read, I don’t know. After I wrote it, I told them ‘Here’s my script, if you change it, that’s your prerogative, don’t tell me. Don’t ask me to edit it, don’t ask me to correct it, I don’t want to change something that you’re going to change again if you disagree.’”

He also indicated that when he took on the project, he was unaware that Grant Morrison’s Action Comics would be taking place five years prior to the first issue of Superman and that he would therefore be waiting on certain events to occur in Morrison’s book before he could use characters or make changes.

The veteran writer/artist also recounted getting a call from Keith Giffen, the incoming co-writer on the series who at the time was working on Superman alongside Perez and Dan Jurgens, who co-writes Superman with Giffen and draws the title. Apparently prior to taking the job, Giffen wanted to be certain that DC was doing right by Perez and that he wasn’t simply being fired.

“Regrettably, I did have to tell him ‘I can’t wait to get off Superman’,” Perez is quoted as saying. “It was not the experience I wanted it to be.”

Of course, DC just announced that Scott Lobdell and Kenneth Rocafort would be taking over the series from Giffen and Jurgens, with a first issue that features Superman’s Kryptonian father Jor-El on the cover. That character, who will be played by Russell Crowe in the upcoming film Man of Steel, will reportedly be a major part of the movie and so it’s possible that those people making decisions above DiDio’s head are somewhat more actively engaged in the day-do-day operations of Superman now that the movie is drawing close.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:44 pm

I can't sit here and tell you that I'm highly conversant with the new corporate structure but my understanding is that DC Entertainment is basically the manager of these properties and franchises. Warner Bros. Entertainment owns DC Entertainment. DCE owns DC Comics. If decisions are being made above DiDio's head, that'd make sense given what I understand the role of DCE to be. For example, DCE is my prime suspect for the removal of the trunks in almost all depictions of Superman (we'll see how things pan out with Earth One going forward). Obviously they want there to be some consistency in Superman's appearance in all media.

But what's the result of this chaos and poor planning? Well, something to consider is the downward spiral we've seen on Superman (the monthly comic, I mean) in terms of the talent behind the book.

You start off with George Perez writing and doing breakdowns (or was it inks? Breakdowns and inks? Can't remember, too lazy to check). Now, if someone doesn't respect George Perez it's because they don't know jackshit about him or comics. Simple as that. He apparently gets his fill of bullshit and so he rolls out.

Next you get Keith Giffen and Dan Jurgens. Luminaries in the field, to be sure, but I'm not prepared to put them in quite the same category as Perez. I mean, Perez is a living legend. Yeah, Giffen and Jurgens have had badass careers and done some amazing work... but Perez-level? Not so much. Whatever, they both have their fill of bullshit and so they roll out.

And now you've got Scott Lobdell. If comics have an equivalent of Brandon Routh, Lobdell is undoubtedly a contender for the title. Probably the son of a bitch is just happy to be working so he's happy to put up with DCE's bullshit and DiDio's powerlessness in exchange for the steady writing gigs. As ever, it's the hacks who take shit stew and try to convince you it's filet mignon.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:29 pm

Man that has to be such a terrible way to handle writers and there stories. I can see why perez left the book. Those working conditions are hellish and lead to many problems. Which is anotherr thing on the whole rebooting was a dumb idea.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:28 pm

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=62756
COMICS: First Look At ACTION COMICS #11; "Bow To Metalek"

In this first look at Action Comics #11,writer Grant Morrison and artist Rags Morales introduce Metalek to "The New 52 in an epic battle with Superman which you can catch a sneak peek of right here! Josh Wilding - 7/1/2012

• Superman’s NEW secret identity revealed!
• LOIS LANE continues her investigation into the mystery of Earth’s FIRST Superman!
• Plus, in the backup story: We know where Superman got his armor costume, but where did he get all those "S" T-shirts?
DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 5 Acto1
DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 5 Acto6
DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 5 Acto2
DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 5 Acto3
DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 5 Acto4
DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 5 Acto5
ACTION COMICS #11 Written by GRANT MORRISON, SHOLLY FISCH Pencils by RAGS MORALES, CAFU Cover by RAGS MORALES Variant Cover by CULLY HAMMER
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:34 pm

What's this garbage about a new secret ID?! Have duh heirs struck again?! Mad
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:47 pm

I know right non, I was like wtf is this when I found the link a little while ago. Maybe ap or colors can shed more light on this.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:11 pm

Superman new love interest:
http://superherohype.com/news/articles/172343-comics-supermans-new-love-interest-revealed
Comics: Superman's New Love Interest Revealed by SuperHeroHype August 22, 2012 Share this story

The comic goes on sale on August 29

Entertainment Weekly has revealed Superman's new love interest and it's none other than Wonder Woman! Their relationship begins in the pages of "Justice League #12." The magazine says:

The comic, which goes on sale Aug. 29, culminates months of flirty foreshadowing. Writer Geoff Johns hints that some event — possibly tragic — will impact every member of the Justice League, and cause Superman and Wonder Woman to seek solace in each other and move from super-powered colleagues to power couple. This is no one-issue stunt: “This is the new status quo,” says Johns, adding that the relationship will have a seismic impact on all the heroes and villains in the DC universe.

They add that artist Jim Lee's inspiration for the cover art was Gustav Klimt’s The Kiss and Alfred Eisenstaedt’s V-J Day in Times Square photograph. DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 5 Fl-justice-league_510x784
Well I don't know what to think of this. What are your thoughts guys?
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:11 pm

Didn't DC already go this route back in the 80's or 90's? I'm thinking John Byrne may have explored it but without researching it at the moment I could be mistaken. I know he did that red-headed check Titania whats-her-name. Anyway I'm sure they've been down this road before. Maybe it even makes sense from a 'love-making' stance but forget that for the moment. The bigger question is, where is friggin' Lois Lane?! Is this more fallout from duh Siegel parasites? Certainly Lois can be kept in this equation?! And duh DC, that's kinda a 'PG-14' cover there ain't it? What's next, a lap dance for Supes? Arrow
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:53 pm

Ya since I haven't read the new 52 where has lois been in the equation with superman and clark kent? Only thing I remembered when the restart started that lois was with some other guy. But that is all I knew.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:33 am

non_amos wrote:Didn't DC already go this route back in the 80's or 90's? I'm thinking John Byrne may have explored it but without researching it at the moment I could be mistaken. I know he did that red-headed check Titania whats-her-name. Anyway I'm sure they've been down this road before. Maybe it even makes sense from a 'love-making' stance but forget that for the moment. The bigger question is, where is friggin' Lois Lane?! Is this more fallout from duh Siegel parasites? Certainly Lois can be kept in this equation?! And duh DC, that's kinda a 'PG-14' cover there ain't it? What's next, a lap dance for Supes? Arrow
One of the stated goals for Superman in The New 52 is the dissolution of the marriage. So on that basis, I'm cool with this.

And yeah, Byrne did tackle this subject. Basically Clark had wet dreams about Wonder Woman and they eventually played tonsil hockey before deciding to be just friends. But there's an argument that sooner or later, Superman and Wonder Woman would have a fling just so they know whether or not it would work out between them.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:18 am

Colors so what type of relationship does lois have with superman and clark with new 52.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:38 am

webhead2006 wrote:Colors so what type of relationship does lois have with superman and clark with new 52.
Fucked if I know, I tuned out of The New 52 some months back. It's not that the people doing these titles aren't talented, it's that I just don't care for the raw foundation they're working from. I was only really hip to Aquaman, the Flash, Firestorm, Superboy and Green Lantern. I tried investing in Superman (and I still rather like that first Action Comics storyline revolving around Brainiac) but that character is basically jacked up right now. I'm willing to give DC a pass on their reason for a jacked up Superman, don't get me wrong, but jacked up is still jacked up... even if you've got the mother of all handicaps (as DC most assuredly does when it comes to Superman). Personally, I think there's just too much other good stuff out there to continue investing in mediocre (or even great) comics with completely fucked up continuity.

Oddly enough, I think my breaking point was the ambiguity (if not outright deletion) of Wally West to make room for Barry. But I'll spare you that rant. Hal? I can live with it. I have lived with it. But Wally? I. Just. Can't.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:01 pm

Are people forgetting about 'The Dark Knight Strikes Again'?

DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 5 Tumblr10

DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 5 Tumblr_m81usuwcHQ1qjzyxso1_1280

DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 5 The-dark-knight-strikes-again-02-23

Hell, they even had a DAUGHTER together. "Kara":

DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 5 Tumblr_m1z4fwmHzU1qjzyxso1_400

Not to mention 'Kingdon Come'....

So this isn't a very original idea, is it?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:36 am

Thanks colors I just thought to ask since I knew you where reading some off the new 52 stuff and thought you might have had answer.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:38 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:Are people forgetting about 'The Dark Knight Strikes Again'?
Not likely. But even if we were, could you blame us? Smile

Apologist Puncher wrote:So this isn't a very original idea, is it?
Even if it had never been done in the comics, "clever" civilians and mainstreamers have joked about Superman doinking Wonder Woman for years.

I'm not opposed to it though. (A) It's not like I can stop it anyway (B) I don't think the concept of them dating has ever really been explored in continuity and (C) if the stated purpose behind The New 52 Superman was dissolving the marriage with Lois, I don't want those two getting anywhere near each other because that was the entire fucking point of all this. Besides, it's not like I'll be reading the shit anyway, right?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:27 pm

Not sure if anyone cares:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/08/27/jim-lee-and-scott-snyder-to-launch-man-of-steel-comic-for-2013/

Jim Lee And Scott Snyder To Launch Man Of Steel Comic For 2013?
Written on August 27, 2012 by Rich Johnston in Comics

Spinning out of the Toronto bar scene comes one rumour that has suddenly picked up a little Canadian steam. Indeed some expected this to have been announced yesterday, rather than the Justice League Of America news.

Of late, Scott Snyder has been pointing out that one day he would like to write a Superman book, but not at the expense of writing Batman. And also that he wasn’t going to be writing Action Comics (we know this, it’s Andy Diggle.) But what is going on?

Well, in light of the Bleeding Cool story about Jim Lee leaving Justice League around about issue 16, it was tempted to line that up with rumours of WildCATS relaunching under his helm.

But instead, I’ve heard that there may be a brand new Superman monthly comic to come in 2013, called Man Of Steel, written by Scott Snyder and drawn by Jim Lee.

It’s planned for the middle of next year I understand, probably part of the DC Fifth Wave, and to give Jim Lee enough of a head start to give the book a successful constant artistic run as Justice League had in the beginning.

Whichever month it does launch in, expect it to be the bestseller of that month by a considerable degree. And having the same name as the movie can’t exactly

That's really how it ends. No lie.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next