Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman)

+2
webhead2006
thecolorsblend
6 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 4 Empty Re: DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman)

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:36 pm

A few things...

01- Fuck's sake...
02- Piss on that new costume all you like, it looks better than the New 52 costume in Superman.
03- This would tend to give credibility to Marty Pasko's theory that DC is working a legal angle to prove that the character they publish now has little in common with the character Siegel and Shuster sold them.
04- It's still bullshit though. The Suit will always reign supreme.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 4 Empty Re: DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman)

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:43 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:A few things...

01- Fuck's sake...

This is the company you support with your $$...

02- Piss on that new costume all you like, it looks better than the New 52 costume in Superman.

A decent bowel movement or greasy diarrhea?

Both are still shit.

03- This would tend to give credibility to Marty Pasko's theory that DC is working a legal angle to prove that the character they publish now has little in common with the character Siegel and Shuster sold them.

I've said that from Day One.

04- It's still bullshit though. The Suit will always reign supreme.

Exactly.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:56 pm

Spoiler:
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:45 pm

Superman vs supergirl:
http://m.ign.com/articles/1219021
DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 4 Superm18
DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 4 Superm19
DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 4 Superm20
DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 4 Superm21
DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 4 Superm22
DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 4 Superm23
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:54 am

Earth 2 superman:
http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2012/03/02/earth-2-character-designs-%E2%80%93-superman/
DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 4 Superm24
EARTH 2 CHARACTER DESIGNS – SUPERMAN

Friday, March 2nd, 2012

By Josh Kushins

Coming in May, DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 “Second Wave” will literally expand the world-building efforts of the comprehensive publishing initiative. With the addition of a parallel Earth that features prominently into both EARTH 2 and WORLDS’ FINEST, the developing narrative will encompass new heroes from distinctly different backgrounds, building on the shared universe in some surprising ways.

“Mourning the death of his beloved, Superman carries both a sadness in his heart along with the weight of Earth 2′s welfare upon on his shoulders, while never showing this and seeming to all that he is this world’s peerless champion,” said EARTH 2 writer James Robinson.

“What would you have to do to teach Superman to kill?” asks EARTH 2 editor Pat McCallum. “He’s endured the loss of his home world, and now the Last Son of Krypton must weather the death of his soul mate Lois Lane. Just how far can you bend the Man of Steel before he breaks?”

Here’s a first look at the Superman of EARTH 2, designed by Jim Lee.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:04 pm

Uh.......NO! Mad
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:07 pm

I DON'T like the sound of that. But on the other hand, this is James Robinson we're talking about. That guy has a lot of cred with me. So part of me wants to give at least him the benefit of the doubt.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:31 pm

Ya the killing bit doesnt sound that good.

Last edited by webhead2006 on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:18 am

Action Comics #7. Read it. I've been really digging on it. Superman does a Smallville style super leap into orbit. Morrison acknowledges the mathematical improbability of that... and then wipes his ass with it and does it anyway. That sort of bugged me. I can suspend my disbelief. I don't need creative folk to point out the impossibility of something just to disregard it less than a panel later. If I can accept that a super-powered being exists, that person jumping into orbit is arguably the smallest indulgence I'll have to make.

The other bit is that the similarities between this storyline and the Geoff Johns Brainiac thing continue. It's not quite apples to apples but it's not so far off either.

The main thing that happens here is obviously that Superman gets his new Krypton-oriented outfit here. I guess that means he's giving up the t-shirt, jeans and work boots. Maybe it's my affection for Smallville but I never minded that look in and of itself. I liked it and I'm actually kind of sorry to see it go. I'm sorrier still that we're losing it in favor of that newer outfit. There's some interesting symbolism behind it. Superman is rejecting the false dichotomy of "Krypton vs. Earth" (the implications of which obviously mean he's rejecting the false dichotomy of "human OR alien") so his choice resonates in terms of theme and a higher level of motive. And that's fine. But the end result is still him putting on that ridiculous armor and I'm just not hip to that in this title. It's doubtful we'll see the shirt/jeans/work boots thing ever come back but I'd support it if we did.

The other angle there is that Action Comics has been presenting us with a young Superman. He's the idealistic college kid who wants to save the world. Superman (the monthly book) has been showing us a Superman who's become just a bit weary. Not quite cynical but not the wide-eyed innocent he used to be either. I liked the contrast. The change in costume dilutes that contrast somewhat.

Anyway. I'm still enjoying it but I've got some quibbles.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:31 am

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=55856

DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 4 1331060782

If Frank ain't apin', he can't draw "Superman".
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:52 am

You know, my hope is that Batman- Earth One takes off into high orbit. The more it sells, the better. Then, maybe then, people will stop giving Gary Frankenstein mainstream superhero stuff to work on and instead steer him toward darker, edgier material and characters as those play better to his natural strengths. The people who say that Frank is the best Superman artist ever are the ones you can usually count on to (A) never read comics (B) be Apologists or (C) both.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:12 am

Yup i agree frank isnt that great if he isnt trying to do reeve style look for superman, just take an example at his smallville comic cover man was that terrible. As for issue 7 sounds pretty good story from what colors said. If i see it at comic shop later when i go pick up my latest issues i havent gotten yet. I will take a breeze at it.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:51 am

thecolorsblend wrote:The people who say that Frank is the best Superman artist ever are the ones you can usually count on to (A) never read comics (B) be Apologists or (C) both.

The hell did anyone say THAT??
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:57 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=55856

DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 4 1331060782

If Frank ain't apin', he can't draw "Superman".

What I love about this is, "Superman" just caught some guy on his indestructible shoulder, one handed some beam, didn't do anything to stop the monkey wrench from smashing the little boy beneath him, but still made sure to look off into the distance and pull a "Zoolander".

DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 4 Zoolander-10613

Classic "Superman".....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:58 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:The people who say that Frank is the best Superman artist ever are the ones you can usually count on to (A) never read comics (B) be Apologists or (C) both.

The hell did anyone say THAT??
That sentiment is around. I forget the name but at least one dipstick Apologist from Eyes Skyward certainly holds that view.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:22 pm

Something hit me earlier today. If Smallville- Season 11 is everything I hope it will be (and honestly, things are looking damn GOOD in that respect), that comic could be a convenient exit point for me on the mainstream continuity monthly Superman titles. Maybe, maybe not. Again, DC has a major handicap as far as the Siegel Parasites are concerned but, irrespective, it sounds like Smallville- Season 11 is a hell of a lot closer to the type of Superman comic I want to read than Superman has been lately. You throw a pair of trunks onto the Smallville Superman's outfit and I'd be pretty much completely onboard with it.

On the other hand, I find the New 52 Superman to be a hell of a lot more enjoyable than the post-Infinite Crisis/Donner-lite/Sucky Origin-oriented Superman to have ever been. So there is that to consider.

Anyway, I don't know if any of you are even regularly following the New 52 Superman or will follow the Smallville comic but I just wanted to throw this out there.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:43 am

Am definately going to get the sv comic. As for the new dc even though I rarely did read dc. Just the whole halfboot approach and silly changes to characters. Just totally turned me off from even bothering with it in general.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:22 pm

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/30/scott-lobdell-take-over-superman-comic-from-jurgens-giffen/

Scott Lobdell To Take Over Superman From Jurgens And Giffen
Written on April 30, 2012 by Rich Johnston in Comics

Bleeding Cool heard that the New DCU Zero issues in September, now confirmed by DC artists, may lead to some creative changes in their wake.

Well here’s a big one that may cause controversy in certain quarters.

I understand that Scott Lobdell, the writer of Red Hood And The Outlaws, Teen Titans and Superboy is to add another, more prominent book, to his New DCU repertoire.

Namely the monthly Superman title, currently created by Dan Jurgens and Keith Giffen.

I am hoping for some Starfire/Superman alien-on-alien action fairly shortly…
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:48 pm

Hm. One wonders what this portends for Jurgens as penciller...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:54 pm

Is he taking superman or action. I am a little confused from that.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:59 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Hm. One wonders what this portends for Jurgens as penciller...
Which of the two do Jurgens and Giffen work on?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu May 03, 2012 4:11 am

thecolorsblend wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:Hm. One wonders what this portends for Jurgens as penciller...
DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 4 A3806253-73-crickets chirping
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu May 03, 2012 4:17 am

Short of bluntly stating it, I feel like I've worn my politics somewhat on my sleeve around here. That perhaps colors my opinion of Action Comics #9... but, honestly, I'm sick to fuck of comics writers shoving their ideology into the material. It's one reason why I don't really feel any pressure to "keep the peace" and "be civil" around here. They don't bother so why should I when I'm talking about their comics?! That kind of stuff is just code for "let's silence anybody who dares have a different opinion."

Anyway. Depending on your ideological persuasion, Action Comics #9 is either awesome sauce or more bullshit propaganda. My opinion? The people behind this comic book can all go piss up a rope for all I care. Fuck 'em.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri May 04, 2012 8:27 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:
DCnU Superman Thread (re: Action Comics and Superman) - Page 4 A3806253-73-crickets chirping

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat May 05, 2012 6:27 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:

My question and subsequent follow up were in response to his idiotic question. I know perfectly well which Superman book Jurgens and Giffen work(ed) on. The idea was to make this into a teachable moment. Even if you didn't know... Google is your friend.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next