Nicolas Cage Action Comics #1 9.0 Hits Record

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nicolas Cage Action Comics #1 9.0 Hits Record

Post  Apologist Puncher on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:26 pm

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/11/29/nicolas-cage-action-1-9-0-hits-record-1552000-with-24-hours-left-in-auction/

Nicolas Cage Action Comics #1 9.0 Hits Record $1,552,000 With 24 Hours Left In Auction
Submitted by Mark Seifert on November 29, 2011 – 7:07 pm

We have a new world record for the highest price ever paid for a single comic book. Now, the question becomes just how high it will go. With 24 hours left in the auction, the infamous Nicolas Cage copy of Action Comics #1, graded 9.0 and the best condition copy graded by CGC, has hit a record $1,552,000. The previous record of $1,500,000 was set in March 2010 by an Action Comics #1 8.5.

Bleeding Cool was the first to tell you that the best-cgc-graded copy of the world’s most sought-after comic was about to come to auction when we laid out the back story of what has probably become the world’s most famous individual copy of any comic:

The vintage comics scene has been buzzing for the past several days about word that a very high grade copy of Action Comic #1 — stolen from Nicolas Cage‘s home in 2000 and recovered by Los Angeles police this April from a San Fernando Valley storage locker — would soon come up for auction from well-known high-end vintage comics venue Comic Connect. [Update: See CGC scan and auction listing below]

Questions remained: Who now owns the book? And exactly what condition is it in after being missing for a decade and found in a storage locker?

As news broke of the recovery in April, Cage told ABC News that he would seek to have the comic returned to him. But there are likely insurance claim issues involved as well, and Comic Connect has thus far declined to comment on the identity of the current owner — though that is not unusual in these situations.

However, the question of condition may have just been resolved. An Action Comics #1 CGC 9.0 has just appeared on Certified Guaranty Company’s Comic Book census — which is a publicly-accessible database of every comic the company has graded. Given the circumstances, it is very likely that this CGC 9.0 copy is the Cage copy recovered by LA police (a comparison with the updated scan below appears to confirm that the 9.0 is the recovered Cage copy). And it is the best copy ever graded by CGC.

There has long been quite a mystique built up around high grade copies of Action Comics #1 — and for reasons beyond the simple fact that they are among the most valuable comics on the planet. This Cage copy has been missing for a decade. The infamous Edgar Church copy, part of a treasure trove of high grade comics purchased in 1977 by Mile High Comics owner Chuck Rozanski, has been sitting ungraded and virtually unseen in the hands of a private collector for decades. No decent scan or photo of the Church copy — widely considered the most valuable comic in existence — has ever been made public on the internet, though the few knowledgeable individuals who have seen it claim it is undoubtedly the best copy known to exist.

Of note, though the identity of the current owner of the comic has been the subject of much speculation in vintage collecting circles, the Hollywood Reporter subsequently ran a story which stated “Comicconnect is selling it for the current owner, which is still believed to be Cage.” When I questioned Hollywood Reporter writer Andy Lewis on this point, he stood by his story.

With the world record eclipsed and nearly a day left in the auction, there’s only one question left to answer: how much will someone pay for what is about to become — at least for now — the world’s most expensive comic?

Superman is King.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

User Reputation : 548

http://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org

Back to top Go down

Re: Nicolas Cage Action Comics #1 9.0 Hits Record

Post  webhead2006 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:23 am

Can't wait to see what final price ends up as.

webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:44 am

I'm a reader of comics moreso than a collector. To be one is to be the other somewhat, I'll grant you, but I'll never relate to the mindset of spending anywhere near that kind of money on A COMIC BOOK. Especially not in this economy, you dig?

Mind you, I bought a dirt cheap and near perfect copy of Daredevil #181 specifically to take advantage of the speculators so clearly I've got some hypocrisy going here.

And here's a nickel's worth of free advice to would-be speculators out there. New comics are not where it's at. Want to buy something that'll go up in value? Stick with 60's and 70's issues. The values on those, esp 60's comics, is only going up. I say this because a speculator went to my LCS a while back and I overhead him ask about which comics are going to increase in terms of value. He had this idea that he'd be able to buy, say, the new Amazing Spider-Man issue, turn around and sell it for year and make millions of dollars. Fucking idiots, I swear. If I ran a comics shop and some nitwit like that came in, I'd fleece him for every nickel. "Oh yes, very definitely, Grifter #1? It's part of DC's New 52 launch. Trust me, this baby's going THROUGH THE ROOF. That's why I have so many dozens of copies of it laying around. In fact, it's up to $10 already but you seem like a nice guy so I'll let you have it for $7. Or $6 apiece if you buy 12 or more."

Nimrods...

thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:01 am

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:50 pm

Oh ya it totally blows how much comics are these days. One of the reasons I pretty much just stick to spiderman books. I may have been collecting/reading more modern era stuff. But I have picked up some late 70s/80s issues one I know is worth some money. But ya some folks are foolish.

webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:31 pm

$2.1 Million:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/11/30/the-first-comic-to-break-the-2-million-barrier-nicolas-cage-copy-of-action-comics-1-cgc-9-0-sells-for-record-2161000/

The First Comic To Break The $2 Million Barrier: Nicolas Cage Action Comics 1 Sells For Record $2,161,000
Submitted by Mark Seifert on November 30, 2011 – 6:28 pm

It has become the most famous individual copy of any comic book in the world. And now, the Nicolas Cage copy of Action Comics #1, graded CGC 9.0 and the best copy ever evaluated by the industry’s third-party grading service Comics Guaranty Corporation, has sold for the highest price ever paid for a comic book. The auction for the 1938 comic book closed just moments ago at the price of $2,161,000.

It is the first comic book to break the $2 million barrier.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:17 pm

Unbefuckinglievable. Some people just have more money than sense, I guess. And I say this as a collector myself.

thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:46 am

Woah that is alot of dough. But hey the super collectors do have that kind of cash to blow. Speaking of which i went to my local shop today to pick up my recent orders from past few weeks. And the guy in front of me was picking up a box full of orders from months worth of books and his final price was somewhere in 500-600 range. I was like holy shit there.

webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:21 am

I can't afford comics anymore. Sucks I know, right? Sad

non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:33 am

non_amos wrote:I can't afford comics anymore. Sucks I know, right? Sad
Tell me about it. Just last week, I cut my pull list down to literally the absolute essentials. Daredevil, Walking Dead, Superman books and not much else. I realize times are tough right now but COME ON!

thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:29 am

Ya i too hate how dam pricey books are. I wish they were back at the price i was buying when i started reading/collecting full time 11 yrs ago. But i do limit myself mostly to 3 books right now asm/usm/na. Plus with most only coming out twice a month or in cases others once a month. At most i am getting within a 2-3 week wait with my orders is like 4 books. So I am usually only shalling out like 30 bucks a month on my regular pulls.

webhead2006
Missing In Action
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:57 am

This is gonna date me but I remember as a small boy comics were still 15 cents. 15 CENTS! However, the price change seemed to go up immediately in my memory to 20 cents, where it seemed to stay for the longest time. I think eventually they were 25 cents but I also think at some point like that I 'outgrew' them, if you will. When I came back as a young adult they were 60 cents, both DC & Marvel. But then DC went up to 75 cents while I think Marvel remained at 60 for the moment. DC's justification for this move those was that they were now printing their comics on 'Mando paper', whatever that means. Well, I stayed for a while but eventually quit again.

I came back for 'The Death of Superman' saga. I don't exactly remember the price but weren't they around 2 bucks? Well, quit again but when I came back for 'Infinite Crisis' they were a whopping 3 bucks (or more) I believe. Even with a comics shop giving you a discount it still wasn't economical. SHEESH! Whatever happened to that childhood simplicity where you could take a few bucks & buy a handful of comics?! Those were the days! Shocked

non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:51 pm

non_amos wrote:I came back for 'The Death of Superman' saga. I don't exactly remember the price but weren't they around 2 bucks? Well, quit again but when I came back for 'Infinite Crisis' they were a whopping 3 bucks (or more) I believe. Even with a comics shop giving you a discount it still wasn't economical. SHEESH! Whatever happened to that childhood simplicity where you could take a few bucks & buy a handful of comics?! Those were the days! Shocked
I think the Superman books were at around $1.50 at the time of Doomsday. $1.75 tops.

Print in general is suffering in this way. It's a dying format and it's hard to keep a decent margin. Production costs are higher so there's a perception that if the comics companies switched back to news print (rather than the glossy stock they use now), somehow money would be saved. But news print isn't much cheaper than the really nice stuff, again, because print is dying.

Even so, I've wondered that costs might be lowered if there was in effect more than one distributor out there. The distributor wars (or ground battle, really) of the 90's left Diamond as the only real game in town. But I've wondered if costs might be lower if they had to genuinely compete for business. How they're not violating anti-trust laws is beyond me.

But anyway...

thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher on Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:21 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Print in general is suffering in this way. It's a dying format and it's hard to keep a decent margin. Production costs are higher so there's a perception that if the comics companies switched back to news print (rather than the glossy stock they use now), somehow money would be saved. But news print isn't much cheaper than the really nice stuff, again, because print is dying.

Even so, I've wondered that costs might be lowered if there was in effect more than one distributor out there. The distributor wars (or ground battle, really) of the 90's left Diamond as the only real game in town. But I've wondered if costs might be lower if they had to genuinely compete for business. How they're not violating anti-trust laws is beyond me.

But anyway...

Actually, if they stopped paying these creators huge salaries to produce late, sometimes EXTREMELY SO, books without consequence they can lower prices a bit.

Too many Diva's in the comic book biz is what is going to lead to it's downfall.

Apologist Puncher
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:30 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top