Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Misc Superman comics (was 'Superman Beyond')

3 posters

Go down

Misc Superman comics (was 'Superman Beyond') Empty Misc Superman comics (was 'Superman Beyond')

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:30 am

Misc Superman comics (was 'Superman Beyond') Superm21

Can't say I understand why at this point but I pretty much ignored the ongoing Superman Beyond title. Kind of a stupid move in retrospect. Even though the title may make you think of the DCAU/Timmverse, it doesn't seem to have any bearing on that continuity (although he wears the outfit from The Call episodes of Batman Beyond). So don't go into this expecting that. The basic concept of the series is that it takes places an indeterminate number of years after what you might call Superman's glory days. Lex, the Kents, Perry, Lois, they're all dead. The Daily Planet as we know it is gone too. The thrust of the issues up to this point are really about Superman getting old and feeling outdated in this brave new world that doesn't seem to need him as much as it used to. You get the sense he gave up the Clark identity quite a few years earlier. He mostly operates as Superman these days.

Anyway. It's been a good series so far. It suffers from a lot of problems the DC Digital First titles have, namely spelling and grammar problems. That ass-fuck on the Younis page who reviews the digital Smallville- Season 11 books probably doesn't know this because his apparent goal is to continue bashing the piss out of all things Smallville without bothering to do much of a comparison. But if he did, he'd find a lot of his technical gripes about the Smallville Digital First titles are inherent to the Digital First line. But asking an Apologist to know fuck all about comics is setting the bar way too high.

Anyway. Point is that Superman Beyond is a good book. Between this, Smallville- Season 11 and Superman- Earth One (so far), there's a decent amount of Superman comics coming out right now that need not be tied in with New 52 bullshit.

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Misc Superman comics (was 'Superman Beyond') Empty Re: Misc Superman comics (was 'Superman Beyond')

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:32 pm

Sounds like it is a fun book. I do recall when this and the batman books where talked about. So you said it doesn't have any bearing on the timmverse take of the character? That is kinda disapointing not having it tied to it. Is the current batman beyond one same deal?
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Misc Superman comics (was 'Superman Beyond') Empty Re: Misc Superman comics (was 'Superman Beyond')

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:05 pm

webhead2006 wrote:Sounds like it is a fun book. I do recall when this and the batman books where talked about. So you said it doesn't have any bearing on the timmverse take of the character? That is kinda disapointing not having it tied to it.
I disagree. A separate continuity allows Superman Beyond to be what it needs to be without having to fit in with the Timmverse.

One other note about Superman Beyond. He doesn't wear The Suit but you can see it in his Fortress. No trunkless bullshit going on here; this is real deal, true blue classic version of The Suit on display there.

webhead2006 wrote:Is the current batman beyond one same deal?
No clue, haven't read it yet.

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:01 pm

Ah ok thanks for the info colors.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:04 am

Misc Superman comics (was 'Superman Beyond') Advofs10

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/06/introducing-the-all-new-adventures-of-superman

So a new Superman anthology comic is coming out that just HAPPENS to show him in The Suit? And this just HAPPENS to be announced after WB wins the lawsuit?

Big freaking coincidence, I'm sure.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:04 pm

Surely this has to be a coincidence! Wink

Now if only this will spill over into THE MAN OF STEEL. I'm afraid though that with the pics already released of Cavill that it's too late. That is, unless they find a way to explain it. Maybe in the film someone can tell Superman to 'put something on' because his 'junk' is showing too much. There's kids watching this ya know? So then maybe Superman adds the trunks, not because he 'wears his underwear on the outside' but rather like a fashion statement or something. Ya know, because it just looks better & without them he looks 'naked'. It's something to think about & imho the lack of trunks was due to the legal crapola anyway. Now that that's fixed? Fix this!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:56 pm

non_amos wrote:Surely this has to be a coincidence! Wink

Now if only this will spill over into THE MAN OF STEEL. I'm afraid though that with the pics already released of Cavill that it's too late. That is, unless they find a way to explain it. Maybe in the film someone can tell Superman to 'put something on' because his 'junk' is showing too much. There's kids watching this ya know? So then maybe Superman adds the trunks, not because he 'wears his underwear on the outside' but rather like a fashion statement or something. Ya know, because it just looks better & without them he looks 'naked'. It's something to think about & imho the lack of trunks was due to the legal crapola anyway. Now that that's fixed? Fix this!
It really blows my mind how many people aren't connecting the dots on this. WB wins the lawsuit and suddenly we see a return to the Superman people have wanted ever since The New 52 kicked off and that's all happenstance? Ha!

To me, it also opens a world of possibilities for what we might be seeing in the comics. Not now but, I dunno, three or four years from now. It takes a long time to turn these huge corporations around and I'd venture that's about what it might take for the various legal departments to get all their ducks in a row.

The beauty of all this is that there are in-universe explanations for both MOS and the comics to use The Suit. The Kryptonian outfit gets destroyed somehow and so Superman makes a new one but with some, shall we say, modifications. That could fly in both the movies and the comics, and preserve their continuity in the process. I mean, shit, the outfit is my main objection to The New 52 Superman at this point. I can live with all the other changes that have been made but deleting The Suit is the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Honestly though, my bigger ambition is for The Suit to come back to Smallville- Season 11. Yeah, I understand why it changed and I can't fault them for that. I'd bet that if I'd been in their shoes, I wouldn't have been able to do as good a job as they did. So no criticisms from me on that count. But now that the shit's all been settled out, let's get Smallville firing on all cylinders.

Incidentally, too lazy to dig up addresses but the Eunuch page has linked to more Trexler/lawsuit stuff. His shtick is taking all this complex legal stuff in putting it into context for the laymen. Good stuff, solid reads. He makes it pretty clear that the Siegels have "jack" and "shit" left to argue while Toberoff is reduced to bitching at judges to make sure all the procedural stuff has dotted i's and crossed t's, lest he come back later and restart this whole shit on some idiotic technicality. And honestly, that suits me just fine. (A) It puts those assholes in their place and reminds them of where they are in the big scheme of things and (B) it can only lead to this situation being so effectively locked down and resolved that there's no way that it'll come back to haunt us again. And after everything the Superman brand has been through over the last 15 years (and arguably his entire existence), we've earned a little peace of mind if you ask me.

I'll say this much though. In the unlikely event I ever have full control of all things Superman, I'm taking "created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster" off all Superman materials I produce, including comic book reprints if I could manage it. "But colors," you say. "That credit is on there as part of a legal agreement! You can't fuck around with that!" I could, I would and I'd see them in court. While I was at it, Lois and Clark would both get new middle names too. No "Joanne" and "Jerome" in MY Superman, fuckyouverymuch!
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down