Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man of Steel Box Office Watch

+2
James Stocks
thecolorsblend
6 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Man of Steel Box Office Watch - Page 3 Empty Re: Man of Steel Box Office Watch

Post  superman1938 Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:55 pm

The following is an article I came across ...pretty good read

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/the-superman-we-deserve-20130614
superman1938
superman1938
SuperFriend
SuperFriend

User Reputation : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:11 pm

This video is being used of comments made by Christopher Reeve himself as to why Superman doesn't kill:

Said comments are near the end of the video. I think Reeve was wrong because:

Here's the much referenced video from Superman II:

And like we said, where was the outrage back then?! Huh?! Huh?!

And here's the deleted scene that I myself have made reference to so much:

Please overlook the douchebag who inserted himself into this video. I tried & tried to find another version but so far this is the only one I found on Youtube. I tried different searches too. Please feel free to put a better version on here if you can find it. Nevertheless this is from the 'Restored International Cut' as well as the ABC version I believe.

So there's no killing in a Superman film before MOS? Suspect
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:53 pm

non_amos wrote:Here's the much referenced video from Superman II:

And like we said, where was the outrage back then?! Huh?! Huh?!
The title of the damn video echoes the prevailing fan sentiment about that scene and betrays their kind of sick notion of what makes for a cool Superman moment. It's okay that Superman throws some guy to his death so long as the Williams march is playing loud enough in the background. The dumbass non-argument in answer is that Zod survived his fate. No, he didn't. If it's not in the movie, it didn't happen. But whatever, say he did survive. His hand just got crushed into powder. If it ever heals from that, it'll only be after years of physical therapy and rehab.

Context cuts through a lot of shit though. There may be a case where Superman would do something like that... but he for damn sure wouldn't do it when he'd already in effect won the battle when there were no lives at stake or other jeopardy and he just needed to deal with some miscreants. I believe Superman should be ready, willing and able to punch regular humans around but there's a huge difference between a smack upside the head and crippling someone. Anybody who doesn't see the difference between Superman II and Man of Steel is a fucking idiot.

non_amos wrote:So there's no killing in a Superman film before MOS? Suspect
Oh, is that the argument the Apologists are making now? What about the cop (Harry?) Lex killed in STM by pushing him onto the train tracks? The two night watchmen he implicitly murdered (off-screen) in order to steal the Kryptonite in Addis Ababa? The Kryptonian security guard Non murdered at the beginning of Superman II? The astronauts they murdered on the moon? The Secret Service agents and Army personnel they murdered during the White House attack? Or shit, how about Kumar and the Chain Gang in Singerman who died by Bartender of Pleather's own hand?

What, they don't count? Oh yeah, I forgot, play the Williams march loud enough and they can overlook anything.

Maybe I'll make a fan movie with an animated Chris Reeve in the Singerman tu-tu voiced by Blandon where he dismembers Daily Planet staff, decapitates an entire prison's Death Row, chokes an entire troop of Boy Scouts to death and then farts the fucking sun out of existence and it'll all be okay because I'll be sure to crank the Williams theme through out the whole thing. The Apologists will love it!
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:11 pm

I guess Reeve couldn't count either. He states that nobody dies in a Superman movie except for maybe one death in 'Part One'. Huh?! You yourself just quoted examples I didn't even consider! As for the White House massacre, I know you're not big into 'deleted scenes' at least in the context of Superman but here's something of interest. I'm not sure if this particular scene is on Youtube or not, it probably is but remember when Zod ended up with one of the military's guns & was looking at it? In the theatrical cut it goes on to the next scene. In the RIC cut Zod starts gunning down soldiers!

Yeah, I'd say there's a real double-standard going on here in the fanbase (cue Williams march).
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:30 pm

Here's Zod learning how to fire a gun:

Maybe it wasn't in the final product & all of that but it just further drives home the point. It starts right after the one minute mark. Zod sure is a fast study!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:57 am

That Reeve interview is so odd. In context, it was clearly recorded when he was promoting THE QUEST FOR PEACE. So nobody dies, according to him. I suppose he forgot that he killed Nuclear Man in the end. Heck, if you want to include the deleted scenes with Nuclear Man 1, that means he killed the character TWICE. Of course there will be idiots using this interview as a way to invalidate the whole argument of Superman never killing. Rolling Eyes I suggest those fans check out the golden era comics. I'm sure they'd be shitting bricks.

Man of Steel Box Office Watch - Page 3 158369

Man of Steel Box Office Watch - Page 3 158400

And just for good laughs, the Silver Age Superman...

Man of Steel Box Office Watch - Page 3 158376-1

Man of Steel Box Office Watch - Page 3 158401
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:22 am

I can overlook early Golden Age stuff or gimmick covers intended to get you to read the stories. And the fact is that Superman has had a pretty firm no-kill policy for decades. To my mind, it's pretty much canon.

That said, if we're going to throw tantrums about media where Superman kills (A) can we take context into account and (B) can we PLEASE apply the same fucking standard to everything? If the people who were throwing little fits over Zod's death in MOS were similarly outraged about Zod's even more inexcusable death in Superman II, I honestly wouldn't have a beef with them. There's something to be said for consistency. But don't excuse one and bash on the other (not unless you can justify it anyway... and so far nobody's offered a decent excuse for the Superman II thing that I know about).

And the hell of it is that as many problems as I have with Superman II, I still enjoy it. Nothing's changed. All I ask is that fans apply the same standard for everything. SV was endlessly bashed on and nobody defended it. Well, that ain't going to happen this time. We've all been through too much shit to get to this point to let a bunch of crybaby Routhettes and Apologists get away with criticizing MOS when it doesn't deserve it.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:05 am

Domestic- $248,577,596
Foreign- $271,700,000
Worldwide- $520,277,596
URL- http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2012.htm

Numbers can be a tricky business. Right now, the box office rankings tend to suggest MOS is getting the hell kicked out of it by other movies. And to be fair, there is a lot of competition out there.

However, right now MOS is the second biggest movie of the summer. Monsters, WWZ and the rest are doing/have done mostly good business but none of them have hit Man of Steel's numbers.

Iron Man 3 Day 10- $284,946,699
Man of Steel Day 10- $210,078,153
Fast & Furious 6 Day 10- $171,003,965
Monsters Day 10- $170,433,193
Star Trek Day 10- $133,235,029
World War Z Day 10- $123,696,919

As a common basis of comparison, I chose each film's day 10 US gross. It's easy to forget which movie had which opening weekend in which month so the above hopefully cuts through the bullshit a little. MOS has had a shit-ton of competition but it's doing well. I wonder how much better it might have done if it'd had a second weekend to itself. I think there's a strong argument it would've done between $60 and $80 million in weekend #2 under those circumstances. Alas...

Finally, Box Office Mojo reports that MOS is tracking to finally land somewhere between $290 and $310 million (http://boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3697&p=.htm). For the sake of argument, let's assume the lower estimate of $290 million is Man of Steel's final destination.

That's $28 million more than Amazing Spider-Man earned in the US last year. Again, who would've predicted that Superman would ever outgross Spider-Man back in 2007? But here we are.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:17 am

Keep in mind also that the Box Office Mojo figures you cited are through just June 30 & if you look under that it states that it's in 17 days of release. So in just 17 days through the end of June MOS has already made these kind of numbers! What will it have made if it stays in theaters as long as Singerman? And yet somehow duh media thinks this is either a flop or at best, a disappointment? Yet their next Oscar nominated film probably won't even crack 100 million during it's entire run! I just don't get their reasoning. Cretins!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  superman1938 Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:16 am

wow, I can't believe that mediocre Ironman 3 made that much money....
superman1938
superman1938
SuperFriend
SuperFriend

User Reputation : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:50 pm

I'm sure it'll reach $300 domestically, it'll take awhile with the competition, but I think it'll get there at the pace it's at right now.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:24 pm

James Stocks wrote:I'm sure it'll reach $300 domestically, it'll take awhile with the competition, but I think it'll get there at the pace it's at right now.
As of 07.01.2013, the domestic figure is at $251,621,616. So it's doable.

Sorry to keep beating this to death but everything about Man of Steel's box office run affirms what the Realists have said since 2006. For the moment, forget about other revenues (product placement/corporate deals, merch, TV rights, Blu-Ray, all that other shit) and just consider the raw numbers. MOS is profitable on its own merits. Sure, the other streams help (a lot) but when you strip all the bullshit away, MOS has made money in the theatrical run. No number-spinning or silly excuses necessary; the facts are all anybody should need.

Put the right Superman movie out there and the money flows in all by itself.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:29 am

"But... But... It's not going up against a PIRATES film this time!"
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:31 am

James Stocks wrote:"But... But... It's not going up against a PIRATES film this time!"

Is that what duh apologists are saying now? Actually I wouldn't be a bit surprised. I mean, look at poor Singerman. If only it hadn't had to contend with Johnny Depp then Blandon would now be a household name. And surely I jest. Smile
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:01 am

Ironically, Superman will once again be going up against Johnny Depp.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:16 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Ironically, Superman will once again be going up against Johnny Depp.

Yeah but not exactly like before. With Singerman it had a lukewarm opening & then P2 came out the following week. This time it's nearly a month before Depp's 'interference'. Of course his new film will without a doubt be #1 this weekend but at this point it's really not a bad reflection on Superman. I mean, MOS probably wouldn't be the #1 film any more anyway. But get this. This is July 4th weekend. Family time, people off work. Going to movies. Vacation time. Sooooo.....I expect MOS to have a fairly decent week/weekend even this late in the game.

Not so with Singerman. It's like 'game over' the week after it's release. But I suppose that didn't have anything to do with Blandon's 'charisma' or the fact that he was the 'living incarnation of Christopher Reeve'. Nah, couldn't have. Or, you can just look at Cavill & then wonder why people are taking Superman seriously again.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:07 pm

A lot of people are predicting that The Lone Ranger will suck so bad it'll have its own event horizon. I'm not predicting that but others are.

Here's a story Apologists love to forget. When Pirates 2 came along, there was such demand for tickets that people unable to see it basically said "fuck it" and saw other movies instead. As a result, a lot of movies out at the time (The Devil Wears Prada, Click, Cars and maybe some others) got minor shots in the arm from the spillover effect... all except Singerman, that is.

Go back and look at the numbers sometime; Pirates 2 destroyed the already sinking ship that was Singerman (as you know) while Devil Wears Prada's otherwise standard rate of decline was actually blunted by Pirates. That's the whole reason why there eventually came a point when Singerman (the multi-hundred million dollar "epic") was being outperformed week-to-week by freaking Meryl Streep. The fact that Apologists defended all that made me want to freaking puke.

That's why Snyder, Cavill and MOS are awesome. The numbers are all right there in front of you and you don't have to come up with silly excuses to justify mediocrity.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:40 pm

I see it topping out at about $710 million worldwide.

Or, almost DOUBLE what Singerman did.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:49 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:I see it topping out at about $710 million worldwide.

Or, almost DOUBLE what Singerman did.

That's awesome but..........I still see duh apologists trying to put a spin even on this. Even though they probably didn't like Avengers & Iron Man 3 they'll still use said films to somehow infer that MOS was a failure. I mean, even their beloved TDK & TDKR broke the billion dollar barrier & those are the other films they'll no doubt cite as somehow 'proof' of what they're saying. They'll probably end up comparing it to Amazing Spiderman which I'm sure is another film that they bash on. But in spite of this they'll still stand by their Singerman. After all, it made more than 'Begins'. But MOS is somehow a failure? Give. Me. A. Break!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:16 am

You know I once thought that after MOS gets release the entire fan base (Realists & Apologists) would have been put on the same page of agreement that MOS will be the "Superman" film everyone wanted & waiting to see (Eventually it has been) thus putting an end to the infamous realists & apologists war since this will be the movie that would even make the apologists finally see what a real "Superman" movie looks like and how it should be done just as how the realists have always see it but unfortunately all that is just wishful thinking and it's like SR all over again except the reception is in reverse. To go on record... SR have already splited the fan base upon it's release, MOS OTOH only remind us how split the fan base is already. Some things never change! Rolling Eyes 

So this pop the big question... Will apologists ever know what a Superman film suppose to be or what one looks like?
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:11 am

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:You know I once thought that after MOS gets release the entire fan base (Realists & Apologists) would have been put on the same page of agreement that MOS will be the "Superman" film everyone wanted & waiting to see (Eventually it has been) thus putting an end to the infamous realists & apologists war since this will be the movie that would even make the apologists finally see what a real "Superman" movie looks like and how it should be done just as how the realists have always see it but unfortunately all that is just wishful thinking and it's like SR all over again except the reception is in reverse. To go on record... SR have already splited the fan base upon it's release, MOS OTOH only remind us how split the fan base is already. Some things never change! Rolling Eyes 

So this pop the big question... Will apologists ever know what a Superman film suppose to be or what one looks like?
My attitude was that Apologists will be Apologists always, first and foremost. I otherwise predicted that the disparate parts of the fandom that didn't like Singerman, Smallville or both might be brought back. To a degree, I think that's happened. The pro-MOS side is now a lot bigger than the naysayers from what I've seen. Smallville doesn't really have an equivalent of an Apologist, where they will accept only that version and nothing else. Or if there is such a movement, they're a very quiet minority. By and large, a lot of fans are onboard with what's Snyder is up to. There are a few old cranks out there who still think (A) the perfect Superman movie is still unmade and (B) the perfect Superman movie can possibly exist. I'm in full agreement with (A) but I'll never be convinced of (B). Even as much as I love STM and MOS, neither are "the perfect Superman movie".

I think the next two years or so will tell the true tale of Man of Steel's legacy.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:53 am

I think the sequel could very well be Superman's 'TDK'. I'm serious. Remember, 'Begins' only got so-so business at the box office no doubt in large part to the remembrance of BATMAN AND ROBIN. It was still profitable I suppose but under-performed from the sheer phenomenon that a new Batman film should've been. But it was so well received that it exploded on DVD & Cable, etc. So it was the 'sleeper hit' that I guess inspired duh Nolan to make a sequel.

What's this got to do with Superman you ask? Well, I saw one commentator state on one of the many articles I've read over the last few weeks that Man Of Steel was Superman's 'SUPERMAN BEGINS'. And he's got a point. It had flashbacks for the origin like 'Begins' did. It provided a pretty decent background for said origin like 'Begins' did. And then it got into the heart of the matter with the villains. You can very well draw some parallels but that's obviously Nolan's & Goyer's influence. It was Zack Snyder though who delivered the goods! Otherwise we might have had a really droll film.

Now, for the sequel, I don't want some guy (think Heath Ledger) coming in & literally stealing the show away from Cavill. I don't think that Cavill will 'phone in' his performance like Bale did, I think he'll give it his all but I still don't want some big Hollywood actor trying to steal Cavill's thunder. But wouldn't said actor obviously pump up box office receipts? Possibly. And that's all well & good but in the aftermath I don't want all that anyone can talk about is 'the Joker' if you get my drift? Superman deserves better than that!

Still though, the sequel, like TDK, could 'tell the tale'. OK, the origin & introductions are out of the way. Now let's get to the heart of the matter. Bring in some villain/villains that have never been used in the film franchise. Use Luthor but do like Smallville, more a part of the supporting cast & pulling the strings as opposed to being the main focus. Ya know what? Cavill wants them to use Doomsday. He really dug that comics series when he was 'doing his homework'. Now, like I've said, I don't want a literal DEATH OF SUPERMAN but that doesn't mean they can't take liberties with it. The films ain't usually carbon copies of the comics anyway. One advantage I can see to Doomsday is that it could really provide the sequel that we're looking for. I think the fanbase has always liked the concept of 'Superman vs the Hulk' but since we ain't likely to get that any time soon this is like the next best thing. One commentator recently stated that doomsday was DC's version of the Hulk anyway. I've always thought that myself. I mean, the dude's even got gray skin for crying out loud! But in the context of MOS2 the character could be a huge drawing card & as good as the Hulk was done in Avengers it is possible.

Whether it's Doomsday or not the villains could make or break the sequel. Brainiac has been a favorite for decades so why not? That would even be a good vehicle for Luthor because if you paint him as being against the alien threat like on SV then there's his proof of Superman's continual threat. There's all kinds of places Snyder could go with this. I just wonder if he'd be open to fan suggestions such as this? Knowing Snyder he's already thought of such possibilities. Goyer? I'm not so sure. He might need a few 'hints'.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:38 pm

07.03.2013 MOS Domestic Estimate- $256,746,000 (Day 20)
07.03.2013 MOS International Estimate- $271,700,000
07.03.2013 MOS Worldwide Estimate- $528,446,000
Singerman Domestic Total (Inflation Adjusted)- $242,541,200 (Day 128)
Singerman International Total- $191,000,000
Singerman Worldwide Total- $391,081,192

Box Office Mojo has a handy little utility on their page where you can adjust grosses for inflation. The above is not Singerman's actual gross (that would be $200,081,192); it is the 2006 domestic gross in 2013 dollars.

MOS has outgrossed Singerman in raw dollars, adjusted dollars and overall trajectory/performance. People smarter than me are saying MOS will easily hit or come near $300 million. It's possible.

Internationally, MOS left Singerman behind long ago. The current margin is about $80 million. I have no idea how much higher that'll go but I'd love it only too much if it went to at least $291 million internationally just to get that nice little $100 million round figure (although I'll happily take more).

The worldwide figures speak for themselves. Not much I can add there except that MOS is obviously hitting the numbers WB expected of Singerman. Doesn't get much more American than that.

Happy Independence Day, my fellow Americans!
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:08 pm

And MOS doesn't apologize for being American either unlike 'truth, justice & all that stuff' does. And ironically neither does Henry Cavill even though he's really British. Meanwhile, BJ the Bartender, a natural American citizen, does apologize for being American. Go figure. Rolling Eyes
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:54 pm

Even Australia appreciates MOS:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/breaking-news/man-of-steel-secures-no1-at-box-office/story-fnihsfrf-1226672737234

Man of Steel secures No.1 at box office

AAP
July 01, 2013 5:49PM

MAN of Steel has flown in and secured the No.1 place on the Australian box office chart.

Starring Henry Cavill in the iconic blue suit and Russell Crowe playing his Kryptonian father, the Zack Snyder directed take on Superman, took $8.877 million on debut.

With school holidays underway animated films were popular.

Despicable Me 2 held onto its No.2 place, according to the Motion Picture Distributors Association of Australia. Starring the voice of Steve Carell as the former villain Gru, the film raked in $4.417 million during it second week at the box office.

Monsters University, the prequel to Pixar's 2001 classic Monsters Inc, held onto third place with $3.342 million.

The new animated adventure Epic, debuted at No.8 with $731,147. Amanda Seyfried voices a teenager who finds herself transported into the tiny, undiscovered world that lives inside the forest. Beyonce voices the role of the Queen.

Swarming zombies were pushed down the chart with World War Z, which stars Brad Pitt, sitting at No.4 with $3.146 million.

Baz Luhrmann's vision of the F. Scott Fitzgerald classic The Great Gatsby continues to wow Australian cinemagoers and has held onto fifth place, this week pulling in $1.147 million.

Further down the grid is Vin Diesel's street racing film Fast & Furious 6 sitting at No.6.

The Internship, starring Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson, has been pushed to No.7, while After Earth has fallen to No.9.

Another newcomer Jatt & Juliet rounds out the Top 10.

And to further rub it into Singerman here's a quote from Box Office Mojo:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3698&p=.htm

After setting a new opening weekend record for the month of June, Man of Steel ended the month in the top spot with $248.6 million. It's already out-grossed 2006's Superman Returns ($200 million), and despite a steep second weekend drop it's still in line for a final total around $300 million. Add in strong overseas grosses (it should get to $400 million) and this is a major win for Warner Bros.

And totals through July 3rd which I'm sure ain't accurate:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $256,746,000   48.6%
+ Foreign: $271,700,000   51.4%

Worldwide: $528,446,000 
Domestic Summary
Opening Weekend: $116,619,362
(#1 rank, 4,207 theaters, $27,720 average)
% of Total Gross: 45.4%
> View All 3 Weekends
Widest Release: 4,207 theaters
In Release: 20 days / 2.9 weeks

Game. Over!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down