Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man of Steel Box Office Watch

+2
James Stocks
thecolorsblend
6 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Man of Steel Box Office Watch - Page 5 Empty Re: Man of Steel Box Office Watch

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:29 pm

What Stocks said. That second weekend drop was pretty severe. Apart from that, I'm absolutely positive MOS would be at around $320 million in the US right now.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:49 pm

These domestic tallies are through Sunday, 08.11.2013.

01- Iron Man 3, $407,848,523
02- Despicable Me 2, $338,481,845
03- Man of Steel, $288,681,970
04- Monsters University, $260,171,175
05- Fast & Furious 6, $238,286,640
06- Oz The Great and Powerful, $234,911,825
07- Star Trek Into Darkness, $226,801,056
08- World War Z, $197,458,107
09- The Croods, $186,855,008
10- The Heat, $153,582,219

It's interesting to me that MOS curb-stomped most of the competition, particularly WWZ only exceeded its production cost (in the US) in the past few weeks. It had a strong opening weekend which cut heavily into Man of Steel's figures but it didn't knock 'em dead in the States.

Not bad. Not bad at all...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:58 pm

And when exactly in August is MOS gonna be released in Japan? I'd just like to see afterward what the final tally is & how much of a difference Japan might make.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:23 pm

non_amos wrote:And when exactly in August is MOS gonna be released in Japan? I'd just like to see afterward what the final tally is & how much of a difference Japan might make.
August 30. MOS is currently situated at $648,181,970 worldwide so unless MOS seriously tanks it in Japan, there's no way Japan won't push it over the $650 million mark. What might the numbers in Japan be? The Puncher has tossed out a few guesses. Those seem reasonable enough but I won't make any of my own.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:35 am

Shockingly "Pacific Rim" is flopping in Japan, so I'm a little cautious now...
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:57 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Shockingly "Pacific Rim" is flopping in Japan, so I'm a little cautious now...
Not worried about it. Maybe I should be but I'm not. Those people have forgotten more about obsession with mechs and shit than non-Asians are ever likely to know. What it takes to impress them... fuck, the mind boggles. The fact that they've turned their noses up at PR doesn't necessarily concern me. If they'd done likewise with Iron Man 3... well, maybe. But they didn't. So, for better or worse, I'm optimistic about Man of Steel's chances in Japan.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:03 pm

From what I understand, the genre that PC was aping is really nothing more than a niche in Japan, so it's not so surprising when that country doesn't embrace an Americanized version of something that they have made for over 60 years. It's kind of a false perception that anime/monster stuff is HUGE in Japan. The most popular kind of films in Japan are really their own live action films and Hollywood films, especially if it's uniquely American bred like Superman, so it should definitely do good over there.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:14 pm

I just don't get why they've got to wait until friggin' August the 30th?! I mean, why wait until the film has almost disappeared from the American box office to even release it in Japan? Wouldn't they have already seen pirated versions by then? Yet other films show up in Japan practically the same time they do here? I still don't get it. scratch
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:40 pm

I'd love it if Box Office Mojo would update the fucking international figures already. The number has been frozen at $359,500,000 for over a week now. I find it hard to believe MOS hasn't sold at least a few tickets overseas in the intervening time. It's at $649 million worldwide right now and it'd sure be nice to SEE it break the $650 mark.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:18 am

Dear Box Office Mojo,

There is no law forbidding an update for Man of Steel's international numbers. Really! Posting an update will not cause anybody to get hurt, expelled, arrested or deported.

Love,

- t
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:02 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Dear Box Office Mojo,

There is no law forbidding an update for Man of Steel's international numbers. Really! Posting an update will not cause anybody to get hurt, expelled, arrested or deported.

Love,

- t
I'm just wondering too why we don't see anything on Japan's box office yet?! You'd think they'd at least have a blurb or something about how well it's done so far & then update the grand total, etc. Are there any other sources we can turn to for this info?
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:49 pm

non_amos wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:Dear Box Office Mojo,

Love,

- t
I'm just wondering too why we don't see anything on Japan's box office yet?! You'd think they'd at least have a blurb or something about how well it's done so far & then update the grand total, etc. Are there any other sources we can turn to for this info?
MOS hasn't debuted in Japan yet. I'm not aware of a page that tracks box office numbers as reliably as BOM. So I've got nothing for that.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:59 pm

Obviously they have no intention of updating the motherfucking page until after the Japanese premiere. As there's been no update for over two weeks now, it's anybody's guess what the official fucking number actually is now. It's currently listed at $359.5 million internationally but is the actual number $370 million? $390? Who the fuck knows?

My guess is that Japan will either put it past $400 million internationally or else put it damned close... which alone would put the movie near $700 million worldwide.

But go ahead, Apologists, try and argue the movie tanked. Go ahead, please, I beg you...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Domestic- $290,327,998
Foreign- $367,000,000 (was previously $359.5 million)
Worldwide- $657,327,998
URL- http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2012.htm

So we've finally gotten an international update. However, I don't think this includes Japan. The international page does not have Japan listed yet but the numbers on the page reached the above tally anyway. That seems logical enough to me as it's been two fucking weeks since the last update and Japan would probably bring in more than $8 million. Plus, the foreign release page for Japan is only updated up through 08.25.2013.

MOS needs another $43 million to break $700 million worldwide and Japan seems like the best hope for that. The bad news is that only four films released in Japan this year have done at/close to/more that kind of business so I don't know what Man of Steel's odds are of doing $40'ish million. $25 million would be as solid as anybody else and more solid than most.

We'll see how this plays out though.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:06 am

Hollywood Reporter wrote:'Man of Steel' Bows at No. 2 at Japanese Box Office, Miyazaki Still Unmovable

TOKYO – Man of Steel opened with $2.7 million (268 million yen) weekend on 610 screens, but not even Superman can yet knock Miyazaki’s The Wind Rises off its perch at the top of the box office rankings.

With the anime master's retirement announced on the weekend at the Venice Film Festival, where The Wind Rises (Tachinu Kaze) is in competition, the film is likely to get further momentum at the Japanese box office.

The Wind Rises has now grossed more than $88 million in Japan, and shows no time of stopping yet. As the summer vacation came to an end, Monsters University dropped from second place to fifth on the weekend rankings, but what is now to be Miyazaki's film, with its more adult themes, has stayed strong.

The Wind Rises, which paints a fantastical portrait of the life story of the designer of the World War Two Zero fighter plane, is now being tipped for an Academy Best Animated Feature nomination. However, it looks unlikely to match the box office of Oscar-winning Spirited Away, which is the highest-grossest Japanese film in history, with more than $275 million globally.

Sadako 3D 2, the latest in The Ring horror series, and promoted as the world's first smartphone 4D release, debuted at sixth, with nearly 114,000 admissions on 232 screens, for a $1.6 million opening weekend.

Elsewhere, Star Trek into Darkness dropped down from third to seventh place on its second weekend, while White House Down fell from fifth to ninth on its third weekend. World War Z propped up the top ten on its fourth weekend of release in Japan.

Original URL- http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/man-steel-bows-at-no-619396

Thanks, Hollywood Reporter. Apparently Box Office Mojo can't be bothered to track any of this.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:53 pm

-- Man of Steel
Domestic- $290,933,455
Foreign- $370,000,000
Japan Gross (opening)- $3,485,362
Japan Gross (up through 09.08.2013)- $6,488,487

And for comparison's sake...

-- Iron Man (2008)
Japan (opening)- $1,958,331
Japan (lifetime gross)- $8,657,188 (although it'd basically peaked by Weekend #5)

No idea what Man of Steel's rate of decline or final gross in Japan will end up being but there's no harm in good information (and an equitable fucking comparison), right?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:10 pm

Was that from Box Office Mojo? I haven't checked as much lately. To tell the truth I've been working so much lately that some things get put on the back burner including posting here I suppose. Hopefully we'll get more news soon both DVD & sequel-wise & maybe things will pick up. On an unrelated note I picked up the Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-Ray today: 3-D + Blu-Ray, etc. Hopefully I'll get to watch it this weekend. I'm sure it's not as good as MOS was though but I had to have it since I missed out on the theater.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:48 pm

non_amos wrote:Was that from Box Office Mojo? I haven't checked as much lately. To tell the truth I've been working so much lately that some things get put on the back burner including posting here I suppose. Hopefully we'll get more news soon both DVD & sequel-wise & maybe things will pick up.
Yeah, it's from BOM. Probably should've said so but I reasoned that most people know what the source is. But you're right, the link should've been in there.

The entire double standard revolving around Man of Steel's box office continues to irritate me though. The Apologists are still playing the "billion dollar" card and that's caught on with some parts of the true fanbase. Basically the Apologists and the pissed off old-timers are in this together. I've not monitored what the Nolanites have said on the assumption that Nolan's name gives the movie all the legitimacy it needs in their eyes but maybe they've chipped in too.

I disengaged from defending Smallville after a while because too many forces ranged against it but I won't let MOS be unfairly smeared. By all means, bring honest and fair criticism to the table (the pacing of the movie could've been better, I admit that much) but the unnecessary shaming and smearing ain't gonna fly this time.

non_amos wrote:On an unrelated note I picked up the Star Trek Into Darkness Blu-Ray today: 3-D + Blu-Ray, etc. Hopefully I'll get to watch it this weekend. I'm sure it's not as good as MOS was though but I had to have it since I missed out on the theater.
I think it would be fair to say that core Trek fans are not happy with it. It's basically non-remake of Wrath of Khan. You could compare it in some ways to Singerman, re: STM. "Remember how freaking awesome the original was? Well, here's a less interesting update of it!"

The cast kills it though. The problems are strictly with the script. The actors never miss a trick.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:06 pm

Wasn't sure where else to put it. So here's good enough, I guess. Box Office Mojo went bye bye. It apparently got sucked into lameass IMDB.

*sigh*
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:21 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Wasn't sure where else to put it. So here's good enough, I guess. Box Office Mojo went bye bye. It apparently got sucked into lameass IMDB.

*sigh*

It's back again.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5