Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The "Recommend A Movie" Thread

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The "Recommend A Movie" Thread Empty The "Recommend A Movie" Thread

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:49 pm

This thread is for recommending a movie, new or old, that you like quite a bit and think others here would too.

I'll go first:

'Green Street Hooligans' (2005)

A wrongfully expelled Harvard undergrad moves to London, where he is introduced to the violent underworld of football hooliganism.

You know, I don't like soccer. I really don't. But this movie just caught my attention not too long ago, and I have to say I like it very much. This is a post-'Lord Of The Rings' Elijah Wood, and a pre-'Sons Of Anarchy' Charlie Hunnam, and they play off of each other perfectly.

See it.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

The "Recommend A Movie" Thread Empty Re: The "Recommend A Movie" Thread

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:29 am

In the Captain America box office thread, I ranted a little on how that movie was better than the box office would first suggest. The same is so much truer of Thirteen Days. This is somewhere in my top 10 or 15 movies of all time. "Badass" just doesn't do this movie justice, if you ask me.

thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:41 am

'Thirteen Days' does a great job of capturing the suspense of the Cuban Missile Crisis, and how people must have felt while it was going on.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:02 am

Here's another:

'Bubba Ho-Tep' (2002)

Bruce Campbell's Elvis with Ossie Davis as JFK fighting a soul-sucking mummy?? Zany awesomeness...........
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:45 am

Here's another one:

'Iron Will' (1994)

The "Recommend A Movie" Thread Ironwill1

A rousing Disney dog-sled adventure based on a real life event -- a 522-mile dog-sled race between Winnipeg, Canada and St. Paul, Minnesota that occurred in 1917. When his father is accidentally killed, South Dakota farmboy Will Stoneman (Mackenzie Astin) decides to enter the dog-sled race in order to save his family from financial ruin.

A very underrated movie that I really enjoy.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:49 am

I mentioned this film on another thread recently so since there's a thread for this kind of thing now, here goes:

International trailer for Danny Boyle's film 'Sunshine' starring Rose Byrne, Cliff Curtis, Chris Evans, Troy Garity, Cillian Murphy, Hiroyuki Sanada, Benedict Wong and Michelle Yeoh.

Here's another trailer I found that's extended. First the link itself due to the length of the quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8BSlqHAhuY

Fifty years from now, the sun is dying, and mankind is dying with it. Our last hope: a spaceship and a crew of eight men and women. They carry a device which will breathe new life into the star.

But deep into their voyage, out of radio contact with Earth, their mission is starting to unravel. There is an accident, a fatal mistake, and a distress beacon from a spaceship that disappeared seven years earlier. Soon the crew is fighting not only for their lives, but their sanity.

Genres: Action/Adventure, Art/Foreign, Drama, Science Fiction/Fantasy and Thriller

Running Time: 1 hr. 48 min.

Release Date: July 20th, 2007 (wide)

MPAA Rating: R for violent content and language.

Distributors: 20th Century Fox International, Fox Searchlight Pictures

Production Co.: Ingenious Film Partners, U.K. Film Council, Dune Entertainment, Major Studio Partners, DNA Films

Studios: Fox Searchlight Pictures

U.S. Box Office: $3,675,072

Filming Locations: Europe
London, England, United Kingdom

Produced in: United Kingdom

Starring: Michelle Yeoh, Cillian Murphy, Chris Evans, Troy Garity, Rose Byrne

Directed by: Danny Boyle

Produced by: Andrew Macdonald, Bernard Bellew

Sure, its' domestic box office sucked but here's its' international total from BOM:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=sunshine06.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $3,675,753 11.5%
+ Foreign: $28,342,050 88.5%

I don't know what the film's budget was. Obviously it performed better overseas. I assume the budget was probably small though. Nevertheless I bought this on DVD & just enjoyed the film for what it is, regardless of 'hit' status or not. You know as well as I that there are films that get 'passed over' or whatever in the grand scheme of things but poor box office doesn't always mean a sucking film! To me personally, this is one of those films that you discover on DVD & go like, why didn't anyone see it?! It was directed by Danny Boyle & starred Cillian Murphy & Chris Evans among others.

Whether you, the reader here, like it will be up to you. Some may like it, others may not. It can be 'slow-moving' at times but remember, it's a Danny Boyle film. It can be 'thought-provoking'. I liked it well enough to watch the DVD more than once & just looking at these trailers make me want to watch it again.

non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:24 am

Commentary on society, commerce, politics, law and order, violence, etc.

Plus? Clarence Boddicker; easily one of the greatest screen villains of all of 80's action movie cinema.

If you don't like Robocop... FUCK YOU!

thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:46 pm

For all the action movie fans out there who haven't seen this movie, you NEED to:

'The A-Team' (2010)

The trailers and marketing for this film did it NO justice. I avoided it at the theaters because of it, and boy was I WRONG. Fun, over-the-top action with a cast that really played off of each other perfectly.

If you haven't seen the theatrical version, do yourself a favor and watch the extended cut first.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:48 pm

The A-Team, The Losers (to an extent) and The Expendables all give me hope about the future of Hollywood action cinema, that there may yet be a return to that 80's type of idealized action hero.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:52 pm

I own extended cut of a team good film. And loosers was a fun film too.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:30 am

I have a double recommendation here.

'Crank' (2006)

'Crank: High Voltage' (2009)

Trust me, these movies are DEFINITELY crazy, but crazy in a bad-ass kind of way. These movies made me a Jason Statham fan for life. Both 'Crank' films are filled with ass-kicking, hot women, ass-kicking, over-the-top violence, and oh yeah:

Ass-kicking.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:57 pm

Here's one more:

'The Experiment' (2010)

It's an intense little film that will make you realize how flawed our prison system is, and how easily man's animal natures can bubble-up to the surface.

See it.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:58 pm

'Murder In The First' (1995)

Hadn't seen this in a while, caught it the other day. Based on a true story about an inmate of Alcatraz bringing the places brutality, and it's time as a prison, to an end. This movie is outstanding.

Watch it and tell me WHY Kevin Bacon didn't win an Oscar.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:15 am

The Shadow. Pretty underrated. John Lone is a little hammy and the finale isn't what it should've been because of production troubles. But it ain't bad for what it is. Worth at least a rental.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Got one that I'm not sure enough people have seen:

'Walk Hard' (2007)
The "Recommend A Movie" Thread L_841046_af3209f2

This movie is HI-LARIOUS.

Oh, and that guy John C. Reilly? He can SING:

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:15 am

Here's one that is VERY underrated, and deserves a viewing if you like Westerns even a tiny bit:

'Open Range' (2003)

A pretty basic storyline. A group of "free grazers" stop outside a town "owned" by a VERY vicious Irishman who doesn't like newcomers, and HATES free grazers. So you can pretty much guess what's going to happen. But Kevin Costner is a bad-ass, Robert Duvall is solid as usual, and the gun fights, and their results, are some of the most convincing ever.

It's no "Unforgiven', but it is definitely a good Western.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:12 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Here's one that is VERY underrated, and deserves a viewing if you like Westerns even a tiny bit:

'Open Range' (2003)

A pretty basic storyline. A group of "free grazers" stop outside a town "owned" by a VERY vicious Irishman who doesn't like newcomers, and HATES free grazers. So you can pretty much guess what's going to happen. But Kevin Costner is a bad-ass, Robert Duvall is solid as usual, and the gun fights, and their results, are some of the most convincing ever.

It's no "Unforgiven', but it is definitely a good Western.
I dunno, not bagging on it but I was really stoked to see it when it came out but only had a chance to see it about a year ago. Maybe I'd built it up in my head too much but I guess I was just expecting something more. It's certainly not bad, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't what I thought it would be.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:27 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:I dunno, not bagging on it but I was really stoked to see it when it came out but only had a chance to see it about a year ago. Maybe I'd built it up in my head too much but I guess I was just expecting something more. It's certainly not bad, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't what I thought it would be.

I'm curious, what exactly were you expecting?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:52 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:I dunno, not bagging on it but I was really stoked to see it when it came out but only had a chance to see it about a year ago. Maybe I'd built it up in my head too much but I guess I was just expecting something more. It's certainly not bad, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't what I thought it would be.

I'm curious, what exactly were you expecting?
No idea, that's the thing. And I can't find fault with what it is. I guess I just expected something else. That's the best I can offer. Which I freely admit isn't a very good critique of the movie.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:27 am

Not that it needs a recommendation from me but I saw the first Back to the Future on the big screen for the fourth time in my life.

01- Original release when I was a wee ol' laddie.
02- Midnight movie in my area.
03- Blu-Ray tie-in rerelease.
04- Sunday, 07.14.2013

I saw some interview with Michael J. Fox where he said that BTTF is "everything you go to the movies for". The heart, the action, the plot, the humor, all of it, it all works brilliantly for wide audiences. Maybe some Joe Shmoe doesn't realize that the place where Marty and Doc meet at the beginning of the film is called "Twin Pines Mall" but, because Marty runs over one of the pine trees, becomes "Lone Pine Mall" by the end of the movie but he sure knows Crispin Glover is hysterical as old George and Marty really emblematic of the teenage everyman of the 80's and he appreciates the hell out of all that stuff.

To me, BTTF (the standalone film and the trilogy as a whole) will NEVER get old. I love all three but there's an undeniable magic to the first one that never fails to captivate, never wears out its welcome and is always a pleasure.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:48 am

^What he said.

I never saw the 1st film at the theater but then I did on VHS originally. I did catch 'Part 2' & 'Part 3' at the theater though. Of course I own the trilogy on standard DVD boxed set but would love to get to where I can get it on Blu-Ray.

I really dug '2' but I remember it getting a lot of flack at the time, pre-Internet. It's like some people didn't like the convoluted 'time' storyline, i.e., how an alternate timeline branched off at that key point & the film was considered 'dark' by some. But then '3' played basically as a Western & the same people were happy. Go figure.

But yeah, the original is still the best. And it helped make Huey Lewis a pop star too huh? But can you believe that there's been talk in the last few years of doing a reboot even of this film?! I don't have a link handy but I definitely remember reading it. I think the consensus though is that if, at some point decades from now if you want to remake it, fine. Just don't do it in our lifetime. And that's probably best.

I mean, how could you improve upon it anyway? Oh sure, better FX as in CGI. But I guarantee you that it would lose it's 'heart' in the process. That first film was like a 'perfect storm', right? The actors, the script, the director (even if he didn't want to direct Superman), etc. How would they replace that? Answer: they wouldn't, at least not in our lifetime. CGI ain't everything.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:56 am

Yeah, I've heard about the reboot thing. Why even bother? Marty will probably be gay, he'll be played by that kid from Twilight, you already know it'll have some smug and holier-than-thou-art green/global fucking warming theme to it, it'll take gay Marty 30 years into the past to the 80's and then it'll go to pains to point out how much everything sucked back then and how lame it all was, Doc Brown will be played by Will Ferrell, there'll be a lot of timely shit related to the modern day that'll be painfully dated by the time the Blu-Ray hits and in the end it'll just irredeemably suck, it will have absolutely no redeeming value whatsoever and it may become the point where humanity itself jumps the shark and there can only be Armageddon (or, God help us, an Armageddon remake) or alien invasions or a zombie apocalypse from here on in.

For the sake of all humanity, please Hollywood hacks, DON'T DO IT!
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:16 am

Speaking of zombies Zack Snyder improved upon the original Dawn Of The Dead with his remake but that's probably the exception to the rule. Other films where the remake was better include Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, The Thing & I'm sure there are others. But sometimes in those cases we're talking about taking a film from the 50's & then remaking it for a modern audience & sometimes the end result is far superior to the original. Sometimes. But it'd still no doubt be the exception. But then there's films you don't dare touch. Can you imagine them 'rebooting' The Godfather? I mean, what would be the point? CGI ain't an issue there so what would be the point, better actors? Give me a break! And then take something like E.T. Better effects now certainly but there's another example of a film that would lose it's 'heart' in the process. 'It's A Wonderful Life' is my favorite Christmas film but do you recall it ever being remade? I don't. And maybe there's a reason for that. It's a timeless classic. And so is Back To The Future.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:43 pm

I never saw the original but my understanding is that George Clooney Oceans 11 is a vast improvement on the original. As you say, these are the exceptions which prove the rule.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:02 pm

I had a very unique viewing of the BTTF series. I literally watched them backwards. 3, 2 then 1. I have no idea why I watched them in that order, but that's how it went about. I rented Part III when I was 6 and loved it, and probably wanted to watch Part II next because I wanted to see what it was that brought Marty to where he was at the beginning of III. I then watch II and I enjoyed that one so much that I gave it repeated viewings over and over. Finally I watched the original soon thanks to a friend that lended me the videotape. I remember actually try to spot the places where Part II-Marty & Doc would be. When a man in a bicycle passed by 1955 Doc in the background I went nuts thinking "he's right there!", little did I know that the filmmakers were simply clever with Part II turning a mere background character into 1985 Doc.

Fox is spot on that it has everything that appeals to moviegoers of all ages. A classic film in every sense of the term.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next