Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Batman Earth One Vol.1, Vol. 2

5 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Batman Earth One Vol.1, Vol. 2 - Page 3 Empty Re: Batman Earth One Vol.1, Vol. 2

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:20 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:I got two words for you.

01- Gary
02- Frank

I guess when you can't pull out random 'Superman The Move' publicity stills in order to draw the main character, it takes an excruciatingly long time to draw a GN....
Probably. Superman- Sucky Origin took, what, almost a year to come out? And that was a whoppin' six issues with some amount of lead time going into it. The hell of it is that the guy is capable of hitting monthly deadlines. He's done it before, and he did it VERY well on the 90's Supergirl title. It's this rock star mentality that fucks with his output.

As much as anything though, DC needs to stop announcing these things years in advance. It's as simple as that. They think they're priming the pump but it's not hard to get to the point where your target audience doesn't give a fuck anymore. They should wait until whatever they're working on is either finished or 95% of the way there before announcing it. The day after the talent sign on to do the job isn't the time for it.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Batman Earth One Vol.1, Vol. 2 - Page 3 Empty Re: Batman Earth One Vol.1, Vol. 2

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:30 am

That's one of the main reasons why I don't buy comics anymore. 12-13 issues taking 18-24 months to come out?

No thanks.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:47 pm

Ok....wow?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/exclusive-batman-re-imagined-an-interview-with-g

Exclusive! Batman Re-Imagined: An Interview With Geoff Johns
This ain't your father's dark knight. Two years in the making, Batman: Earth One gives Bruce Wayne's origin a new perspective.
Donna D.
BuzzFeed Staff

Everyone knows Batman, even if they've never so much as dipped a toe into the comic book world. His story is as iconic as that of Superman, so what happens when DC Comics Chief Creative Officer decides Bruce Wayne needs a shake up?

Enter Batman: Earth One. Set in an alternate universe, so as not to upset the status quo too much, it sees Bruce Wayne not as the world's greatest detective but as a fallible, flawed young man working his way through feelings of isolation and survivor's guilt by projecting them into a quest for vengeance. This version of Batman is not out to protect the innocent; he's an angry vigilante hell bent on his quest with little interest in heroics and a lot to learn about the mean streets of Gotham.

Buzzfeed got a chance to sit down with Geoff Johns and talk about his first foray into original graphic novel storytelling. After years of writing for Justice League and the Green Lantern, Johns and artist Gary Frank wanted to retell the story you think you know.
Batman Earth One Vol.1, Vol. 2 - Page 3 Enhanced-buzz-wide-27774-1340638828-6

BuzzFeed: I was so excited after I read Batman: Earth One and was like “I can’t wait to tell...no one. Anything.”

Geoff Johns: Yea it’s been hard. Gary and I have been working on it for so long, like two years, so we’re so excited for it to come out because we haven’t been able to talk about it with anybody.

BF: Wow, two years? That’s amazing that you guys have been able to keep all this a secret for so long.

GJ: Yeah, it’s been tough.

BF: Well, let’s just to dive into these questions then now that you can! To start, for people who aren’t sure what the premise of Batman: Earth One is, what’s a quick summary?

GJ: Sure, the first Earth One book was a modern retelling of Superman’s origin and Batman: Earth One is a modern retelling of the beginning of Bruce Wayne and Batman and it’s a look at the man more than it is the mask.

For Gary and I we wanted to take a very human approach to these characters, Bruce Wayne and Alfred, and you’ll see a very different Gotham and a very, very different Alfred and a Bruce Wayne who is not quite the Batman that everyone knows. He’s not very good yet, he’s not a fighting machine. He’s just a guy who is seeking vengeance.
Batman Earth One Vol.1, Vol. 2 - Page 3 Enhanced-buzz-wide-22999-1340639004-18

BF: Yeah, he’s also kind of a dick, which surprised me. You actually made the fact he had money make him a bit of an entitled brat as a child. And how it partially led to his parents shooting.

GJ: It’s hard, I think. It’s gotta be the single greatest regret in his life, is that moment. And I don’t think there’s one second it doesn’t haunt him and he hasn’t told anybody about it and that’s eaten him up inside since he was 10 years old.

BF: It was interesting how you showed the death’s of Bruce’s parents. The moment is so iconic, but as far as I know, no one has gone into the immediate aftermath of what happens when a 10 year old watches his parents get shot in the street. Did that grow organically while you were storytelling or did someone on the team have a moment where they said, “We should probably go into how that would be psychologically traumatizing to a child and warp their world view.”?

GJ: When Gary and I talked about the characters, when we first had the opportunity to do this story, the greatest thing about it was the format. We didn’t have a monthly deadline to worry about, we didn’t have any other Batman comics to worry about, this was really a stand alone story, a universe that we could create all our own. We could take characters and push them in directions they haven’t been pushed before because we thought it could make the story better. And in the end there were some things that were very true to the Batman stories and there are some things that are very different but the DNA of it is there. It looks familiar but emotionally I hope it resonates in a different way. And so when we talked about Bruce and what he would go through and what he would be like and what would happen, it really took the story in a different direction.

BF: It was much more realistic or darker than previous Batman arcs.

GJ: And I think more nuanced. It’s not so cut and dry. It’s not black and white. The space and the time allows us to delve deeper into these characters and the choices they make and motivations change and everyone changes as they experience and confront things and we wanted to show that.
Batman Earth One Vol.1, Vol. 2 - Page 3 Enhanced-buzz-wide-27750-1340639029-6

BF: You guys introduced a new villain in this graphic novel, and I’m obviously not going to say who, but it’s a fairly awful serial killer. Do you plan to expand their story or origin in the future of Batman: Earth One and their role in Arkham’s mythos since it remained an opaque character throughout?

GJ: Yeah, in subsequent stories you will learn more about everybody. That’s all I can really say.

BF: Oh obviously. I mean, no spoilers.

GJ: We hinted at a couple of different things and the ending to the first book really just sets the stage for what’s next for this universe.

BF: Speaking of, some brutal and seemingly permanent events occur throughout the story but everyone knows in comic books everything can be undone. Do you feel that’s the case here?

GJ: Our book is very grounded. Characters don’t come back to life. Batman: Earth One is its own universe and the rules of reality apply to it.

BF: So you’re like the George R.R. Martin of Batman now?

GJ: Yes, exactly.
Batman Earth One Vol.1, Vol. 2 - Page 3 Enhanced-buzz-wide-27772-1340639052-14

BF: You were talking earlier how all the characters are fundamentally who they are in Earth Zero but you’ve kind of shifted the dynamic. Alfred in particular seems to have undergone a sort of drastic re-imagining, which to me as I read just translated as, “OMG Alfred is a badass now!” For you, which character revamp is your favorite? Were there any you felt you should just leave alone?

GJ: Um, God they were all great. There was nobody in it that we felt we couldn’t change. Everyone has changed. My favorite? I really love Bruce and Alfred together. And the cops. The cops became much bigger than Gary and I ever thought. They just took on a life of their own.

BF: Gordon's struggle with his place in Gotham’s bureaucracy was just such a great subplot. It was so nuanced and well-written. (Editor’s Note: My fangirl is showing, how embarrassing.)

GJ: Thanks.

BF: Just to end on a light note, there’s a kind of a running joke about Batman’s cape, was that a nod to Pixar's The Incredibles and their whole “capes get superheroes killed” bit?

GJ: No no, not at all actually.
Batman Earth One Vol.1, Vol. 2 - Page 3 Enhanced-buzz-wide-11987-1340639074-21

BF: Before we go, do you have anything you’d like to add?

GJ: Just that Gary Frank, my artist and partner in crime on this thing, is great. He allows me to slow it down and let the emotional reactions of the characters tell the story. I don’t need to do narration when I work with somebody as talented as Gary. I think he’s just a master storyteller and I really can’t wait for people to see this body of work he’s done with our inker Jon Sibal and our colorist Brad Anderson.

BF: Awesome. When can people find Batman: Earth One on shelves or in digital form?

GJ: It’s in comic shops July 4th and book stores July 10th.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:21 pm

Nice find ap. It was a nice interview on the book. And good to hear its almost out after all the long wait for it. As forr the bit with change of bruce's character I don't know how I feel on it right now.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:11 am

I'm okay with the vigilante approach. To me, that's who and what Batman is. The guy isn't a hero in the usual sense of the word. He does what he does because of his own needs primarily. So I'm cool with that aspect.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:48 pm

Finally read it. Not bad. There are things I'm not fond of (Batman being such a screw up at first, for starters) but Johns has laid out quite a lot of cool ideas and concepts. It's not my ideal Batman by any stretch but then Batman's so flexible and open to interpretation that it'd be pointless to hate something just because it diverges from your view. If that's the case, probably nothing out there will fit you.

Anyway. Basically Johns has set up the Martha's maiden name was Arkham. I really dig that. It gives Bruce and others legitimate pause for doubt about the sanity of what he's doing but it's only as heavy an element as Johns lets it be.

Gary Frankenstein's art bothers me less with Batman. The creepy, Vertigo'ish style he has better fits Batman.

There are few really nasty and creepy moments in this book though. Like, stuff I wouldn't want a kid younger than 14 or 15 to see. When you read the stuff about the Birthday Boy, you'll know what I mean.

But overall? I kinda dig this book.

Anybody else read it?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:29 pm

I read it. With an eyepatch on and a parrot on my shoulder...

Anyway, it was ok. They tried changing things up just to change them, and to shoe-horn in some Nolan. Since I guess they are hoping to pull-in the non-comic fans, this wasn't a bad idea. Monetarily, anyway.

It wasn't bad, but I prefer 'Superman: Earth One'.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:57 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:I read it. With an eyepatch on and a parrot on my shoulder...

Anyway, it was ok. They tried changing things up just to change them, and to shoe-horn in some Nolan. Since I guess they are hoping to pull-in the non-comic fans, this wasn't a bad idea. Monetarily, anyway.
Reading this makes me wonder if Chris Nolan's movies will someday be the albatross for Batman that Donner/STM has become for Superman. You know, that adaptation that fans may cherish but which has assumed a disproportionate amount of influence over the character and his mythos. I have no doubt that would be a-okay by some Batman fans and Nolanites but the fandom at large? I think they'd be a bit angry if they're still living with this interpretation of the character twenty years from now.

Apologist Puncher wrote:It wasn't bad, but I prefer 'Superman: Earth One'.
Ditto and ditto. It'll be interesting to compare Superman's first month sales figures to Batman's. I say this because Superman- Earth One vol. 1 hit with a splash. Batman- Earth One? I've not seen much (or any, really) media coverage about it.

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:20 am

That would suck colors for wb/dc to harp on nolan take for a long time. As great as his films where there was still many issues his take had on charracters/events. Which would affect what they be able to do. Noqw tossing a little nod/ref I don't see a problem at that. Many comics/cartoons/etc have always done these things. But each story/take should be its own deal. As for this book haven't read it myself. But I did get a preview comic last week with my weekly orders that had a few pages from the book. It looked nice but only dc book I am reading is the sv one.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:57 pm

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/08/10/dc-releases-covers-for-batman-and-superman-earth-one-graphic-novels/

Of course, Bat-God gets TWO sketches AND a cover release...

Batman Earth One Vol.1, Vol. 2 - Page 3 Beo110

Batman Earth One Vol.1, Vol. 2 - Page 3 Beo210

Batman Earth One Vol.1, Vol. 2 - Page 3 Beo310
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3