Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Future of the DCEU (BvS spoilers)

3 posters

Go down

The Future of the DCEU (BvS spoilers) Empty The Future of the DCEU (BvS spoilers)

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:47 pm

A lot of people of are speculating that WB has at best a half-hearted commitment to make more Superman films. Their argument isn't helped by http://comicbook.com/2016/04/05/zack-snyder-confirms-standalone-superman-movies-still-planned

"I think if we could get a good script it'd be great to have a standalone Superman movie. I think that would be fun to do."
- Zack Snyder

If this was Batman, it wouldn't be a matter of "if". They'd either already have a "good script" in hand or else they'd hire somebody and not unchain him from his desk until he made a good script. But it's Superman so, hey, luck of the draw. It would be great to do... if we can work it into our busy schedule.

I think some (not even close to all, or even most) of the outrage comes from fans who are pissed off about what BvS could portend for Superman's future in live action cinema. It's less about the movie itself; it's more about the future. On the one hand, bringing Clark "back from the dead" is a pretty easy thing to do. Any half-decent writer could manage that in a believable way. But on the other hand, the necessity of doing that could speak to WB's thoughts on Superman right now.

It's really a matter of motivation. Are they committed to making more solo Superman films? If your answer is "no", well, you've got a leg to stand on there.

I don't know what to think just yet. If there was a Superman film planned right now, they wouldn't likely say so because of Superman's fate in BvS. But the other way of looking at it is one isn't planned because it isn't much of a priority for anybody. And Snyder's busy for the next few years (at least) with Justice League so he's not really in any position to demand a new solo Superman movie.

I want to believe there will be more solo Cavill films because I seriously dig Cavill as Superman. But I completely understand the skepticism some people are expressing.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

The Future of the DCEU (BvS spoilers) Empty Re: The Future of the DCEU (BvS spoilers)

Post  James Stocks Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:18 am

Isn't Cavill already confirmed to be in JLA? In that sense, they already spoiled Superman's revival, so they wouldn't have to hide that there's a standalone film in the works.

I don't think it's as simple as WB looking hesitant when it comes to making Superman films but any DC property that is not Batman. For example, since they retained the rights to Superman in 1993, only two standalone films were so far in a span of 23 years. Since then, we got five Batman movies with only a notable gap between Schumacher and Nolan. It seems like in their minds, Batman is the only proven DC franchise. Any other reasonable studio would see that MAN OF STEEL was a proven hit. It made more than IRON MAN, so it should easily have got its own standalone sequel. But WB foolishly expected it to make a billion worldwide instead, consider MOS an under-performer and thinks it needed a proven success like Batman applied in order to do better. Since it did do better, I'm now worried WB will look at the box office of BVS and think "well of course it did better, it had Batman in it", rather than think it had anything to do with MOS actually being a hit that people liked, despite what the internet critics believe.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

The Future of the DCEU (BvS spoilers) Empty Re: The Future of the DCEU (BvS spoilers)

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:03 pm

As much as I have enjoyed Snyders films, I think Superman could benefit from a "fresh voice" in a sequel. The critics have a mad-on for him, and that HAS to be messing with his head. It's unfair and DEFINITELY planned, but it is what it is.

If I was WB, I'd stick it to Marvel and try to get Favreau to direct a Superman sequel. I have a feeling he'd make something great. But, with 'The Jungle Book' and the 'Iron Man' films, he might stick to the side his bread is buttered on....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:26 pm

The two most popular names to replace Snyder on Superman that I've seen are Brad Bird and, believe it or not, George Miller.

The Miller thing especially pisses me off since 99% of the people demanding he direct Superman now had their torches and pitchforks out when he was trying to get Justice League: Mortal off the ground.

As to Bird... I guess I'm open to that. But I can't help thinking he might be better served with some future Superman reboot. I'd like to give him a blank canvas to work with and I don't see how a Bird Superman sequel would be as effective as a Bird Superman reboot.

In the interest of throwing gasoline on the fire, I'm tempted to recommend Michael Bay just so the haters can have that extra level of outrage. Who knows, maybe they'll keel over and die from a heart attack. We should be so lucky.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down