Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hans Zimmer Confirmed As Composer On 'Man Of Steel'

+5
Comicbookfan-V2
Father Finian
webhead2006
thecolorsblend
Apologist Puncher
9 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Hans Zimmer Confirmed As Composer On 'Man Of Steel' Empty Hans Zimmer Confirmed As Composer On 'Man Of Steel'

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:36 pm

I know webhead posted this in the theme thread, but I feel it deserves it's own thread so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47625
Confirmed: Hans Zimmer Is Scoring Zack Snyder's SUPERMAN! Promises A "Reinvention"!

Beaks here...

You knew this was coming, but now it's official: Zack Snyder's SUPERMAN will not be carrying over John Williams's iconic main theme, first heard in Richard Donner's 1978 film and resurrected for Bryan Singer's 2005 continuation. Snyder has instead enlisted Hans Zimmer to score his top-down reinvention of the DC Comics superhero.

Zimmer let the cat out of the bag at a DVD release party for INCEPTION this week, and discussed the challenge of following up Williams's unforgettable score with NBC San Diego's Scott Huver...

“It's a hard one,” mused Zimmer, “but I followed one of the most iconic things on 'Batman' with Chris as well, and it's the same thing. You are allowed to reinvent, but you have to try to be as good or at least as iconic and it has to resonate and it has to become a part of the zeitgeist. That's the job. On 'Gladiator' I remember people always talking about 'Spartacus' and I kept telling them, 'When you saw "Spartacus" and how it affected it you, that's how I want a modern audience to be affected by what we do now.' So I think ultimately you're supposed to reinvent.”

This was obviously inevitable and necessary. Any nod to the Christopher Reeve-era SUPERMAN films would be confusing and provoke unwanted nostalgia when the idea is to establish a clean break from the previous big-screen iteration (ala Nolan's BATMAN BEGINS). However, I am a bit concerned that Zimmer and his team will be scoring so many studio tentpoles over the next two years. Though the Zimmer gang surprised with their SHERLOCK HOLMES music, the composer's motifs, no matter how dressed up with unique instrumentation, are still instantly identifiable. I don't want any CRIMSON TIDE, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN or THE DARK KNIGHT in my SUPERMAN. Then again, who else would you go to for something as huge as this? Michael Giacchino? Aleaxandre Desplat? There aren't too many options out there.

I'd like a good, rousing, major-key theme for the new SUPERMAN. Hans Zimmer's best work is typically minor key. Perhaps he'll work a variation on his uplifting main theme for BACKDRAFT - which felt overblown for Ron Howard's film, but would fit perfectly in a SUPERMAN movie.

Not a bad choice, I just hope he can give both films the attention they deserve.

Last edited by Apologist Puncher on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Hans Zimmer Confirmed As Composer On 'Man Of Steel' Empty Re: Hans Zimmer Confirmed As Composer On 'Man Of Steel'

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:32 am

Don't know how I ever missed it but this is definitely a step in the right direction. I love the Williams march as much (if not more than) the next guy but it was time for something new back in 2006.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Hans Zimmer Confirmed As Composer On 'Man Of Steel' Empty Re: Hans Zimmer Confirmed As Composer On 'Man Of Steel'

Post  webhead2006 Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:35 am

Totally its time for a new theme and musical scorea for the film. I hope hans comes up with some good music. Can't wait.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:07 pm

Looks like Zimmer is stating this isn't true....

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/hans-zimmer-not-scoring-superman-at-this-time-11901

Internet rumors travel faster than a speeding bullet.

Last week, several Internet reports indicated composer Hans Zimmer will be doing the music for the Zack Snyder-directed “Superman” movie.

Zimmer indicated the only link with “Superman” is that he previously did music for Christopher Nolan who is the producer for the new “Superman” movie.

“You know, it’s like some dirty quote taken out of context,” said Zimmer to The Hollywood Reporter. “Let’s just be absolutely straight here: I have never in my life met Zack Snyder. I think I need to give him a ring.”

Zimmer has utmost respect for John Williams’ job with “Superman.”

“John Williams, the greatest living composer – full stop. And that happens to be one of his greatest themes. So no. And I’m not thinking of rewriting Beethoven’s ninth either,” he concluded.

Gig Patta's Take: Hans Zimmer is certainly an "It" composer right now. So there you have it. Zimmer is not composing a new Superman theme…..for now.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:50 am

Oh well would have liked to see what hans would have brought to the table. Maybe now it will probably be someone who snyder has worked with. who has he worked on in his past films.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:47 am

Nice to see Williams gets the credit he deserves from another composer.

There was the story back then that upon the green light for Singerman, Williams was told to expect a call.......

We know how that turned out. Another incredulous creative decision from Bryan Singer.

Williams' theme was the ONLY thing Singerman had going for it. Having said that, the reboot should move on.

Like recasting Reeve in Singerman, it's easier said than done! It is one of the great movie themes, no doubt. But I can't be the only one who it makes you think of the much missed Christopher Reeve every time you hear it.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:11 am

Totally williams score will always be iconic. But it doesn't need to be used over and over again for new takes on the character. did 90s lois and clark/animated series, or smallvjlle use it as there theme no. Any good composer could make something that is a good score and make they take a whole new sound for superman. Like with nolan did he need or use elfman score, no he had someone else come in and make a new sound for batman. Superman should have hus chance too.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:32 pm

Father Finian wrote:Williams' theme was the ONLY thing Singerman had going for it.
*sigh* I have no idea how much cred I'm about to lose here but the one thing I'll never bash Singerman for is the music. I thought the score turned out great. The music is obviously better than the film that inspired it, no doubts there, but I play some tracks from the Singerman score (as well as the scores from the actual Superman films) when I read Superman comics and it works nicely.

Having said that, the reboot should move on.
Agreed one million times over.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:45 pm

Nothing wrong with admitting you like the Williams theme!

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:54 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:*sigh* I have no idea how much cred I'm about to lose here but the one thing I'll never bash Singerman for is the music. I thought the score turned out great. The music is obviously better than the film that inspired it, no doubts there, but I play some tracks from the Singerman score (as well as the scores from the actual Superman films) when I read Superman comics and it works nicely.

Allow ME to "bash the hell" out of it.

The Singerman version of the Superman March is as phony, fake, and pussified as the lead actor himself. Out is the heavy cymbal crash, out is the "build-up" to the music saying "Superman", out is the goose bump feeling you get when you hear it.

It was watered-down, and yet another insult to the far SUPERIOR original.

Shame on ANYONE who tries to compare it to Superman The Movie.

Agreed one million times over.

Same here.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:32 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:*sigh* I have no idea how much cred I'm about to lose here but the one thing I'll never bash Singerman for is the music. I thought the score turned out great. The music is obviously better than the film that inspired it, no doubts there, but I play some tracks from the Singerman score (as well as the scores from the actual Superman films) when I read Superman comics and it works nicely.

Allow ME to "bash the hell" out of it.

The Singerman version of the Superman March is as phony, fake, and pussified as the lead actor himself. Out is the heavy cymbal crash, out is the "build-up" to the music saying "Superman", out is the goose bump feeling you get when you hear it.
Clearly you've got more of an ear for music than I do. I'm about as tone deaf as you can possibly get and still have any sense of hearing. Allz I'm saying is I dug some cues from the score.

Actually, there is a criticism I've not seen too many people make. Apart from the opening march, you don't really get the complete fanfare. Pop in STM real quick and zip over to the bit where Superman catches helicopter. The music that ensues is pretty much the whole son of a buck. Williams threw in the kitchen sink on that one.

Now, if you can stomach it, do likewise for basically any moment Singerman is onscreen in that movie. You get a sorta "preview" or "snippet" of the fanfare but never the whole thing. You get the "SUP-erman" musical quotation and that's just about it. Abbreviating the fanfare... just... UGH!

So yeah, I take it back, there is a swipe at the Singerman score I'm willing to make.

It was watered-down, and yet another insult to the far SUPERIOR original.
*sigh* Would now be a bad time to mention that I prefer certain of Ken Thorne's S2 and S3 orchestration to their Williams analogs?

*runs and hides*
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:07 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Clearly you've got more of an ear for music than I do. I'm about as tone deaf as you can possibly get and still have any sense of hearing. Allz I'm saying is I dug some cues from the score.

And all I'M saying is:

Hans Zimmer Confirmed As Composer On 'Man Of Steel' Polls_your_fucking_crazy_4917_453464_answer_1_xlarge

Actually, there is a criticism I've not seen too many people make. Apart from the opening march, you don't really get the complete fanfare. Pop in STM real quick and zip over to the bit where Superman catches helicopter. The music that ensues is pretty much the whole son of a buck. Williams threw in the kitchen sink on that one.

Because Donner and Williams knew how to excite the audience.

Now, if you can stomach it, do likewise for basically any moment Singerman is onscreen in that movie. You get a sorta "preview" or "snippet" of the fanfare but never the whole thing. You get the "SUP-erman" musical quotation and that's just about it. Abbreviating the fanfare... just... UGH!

Nope, my stomach can't take that much bullshit.

But from memory, I can agree. It almost seemed like BS was TRYING to sabotage his own "film".

So yeah, I take it back, there is a swipe at the Singerman score I'm willing to make.

Like Ottman did when he "swpied" the Superman theme between his dirty buttcheeks?

*sigh* Would now be a bad time to mention that I prefer certain of Ken Thorne's S2 and S3 orchestration to their Williams analogs?

*runs and hides*

I would never say "prefer", but I like the Superman II theme. It was just.... faster.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:12 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:I would never say "prefer", but I like the Superman II theme. It was just.... faster.
Not so much the Superman march (you'll never top the Williams-conducted version of that from STM) but the other themes- the love theme, the Krypton stuff (he made that music actually sound menacing) and some other odds and ends.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:54 pm

A good mate of mine is a composer/arranger (seriously!).

AP, you're correct. Whilst Singerman does reuse the Williams composition, the actual Singerman arrangement and performance isn't a patch on the original. Akin to a brass band trying to sound like the London Symphony Orchestra, apparently.

or as AP succintly put it..."watered down"

....just like everything in Singerman....

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:29 pm

And now it's OFFICIAL:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118055676?refCatId=13

Hans Zimmer scoring 'Man of Steel'
Nolan's go-to music man back for WB's Superman reboot
By JEFF SNEIDER

Hans Zimmer, who worked on all three films in Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, is set to reteam with the filmmaker once again, as Warner Bros. and director Zack Snyder have tapped him to score their Superman pic "Man of Steel."

Legendary Pictures and Atlas Entertainment produced the superhero tentpole with Syncopy, Cruel & Unusual Films and DC Entertainment. Nolan and producing partner Emma Thomas produced the film with Atlas topper Charles Roven and Cruel & Unusual principal Deborah Snyder. Legendary's Thomas Tull exec produced with Lloyd Phillips.

In addition to "Batman Begins," "The Dark Knight" and this summer's "The Dark Knight Rises," Zimmer worked with Nolan on "Inception," for which he received an Oscar nomination. He has been nominated for nine Oscars and previously won for Disney's "The Lion King."

John Williams was nominated for an Oscar for creating the iconic theme to Richard Donner's original "Superman" in 1978.

"Man of Steel" will mark the first Snyder-directed pic on which the helmer hasn't worked with composer Tyler Bates, who scored "Dawn of the Dead," "300," "Watchmen" and "Sucker Punch."

"Man of Steel," which hits theaters on June 14, 2013, stars Henry Cavill as the titular superhero, while the rest of the cast includes Russell Crowe, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, Laurence Fishburne, Antje Traue and Christopher Meloni.

Zimmer is repped by WME.

Contact Jeff Sneider at jeff.sneider@variety.com
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:46 pm

Then what was all that talk about Zimmer denying to compose for MOS then confiming that he actually is?

Still good to hear that he's composing for the film though! I'm anxious to hear what the theme is going to sound like!
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:50 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:Then what was all that talk about Zimmer denying to compose for MOS then confiming that he actually is?

Because that's how HollyWeird works?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:36 am

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:Then what was all that talk about Zimmer denying to compose for MOS then confiming that he actually is?
Apologist Puncher wrote:Because that's how HollyWeird works?
Plus, wasn't that whole enchilada a year ago? Dude probably had no idea what his schedule at this point in 2012 was going to be. But now he does.

Honestly, his work has never really impressed me. Most of it strikes me as being fairly disposable. And even when it isn't, it's nothing that most other composers couldn't do the same type of job with.

I'd have to dig it up but I heard a track conducted/composed by someone called Gavin Greenway on YouTube that had a very "Clark discovers his powers" type of vibe to it. It was related to some Disney theme park attraction.

In fact, a lot of composers out there could probably do an amazing Superman score. Zimmer? Not even in my top five (unless I have trouble thinking of that many non-Williams composers).
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:44 am

I like his earlier work a lot more than his recent stuff. I'm not dreading what he'll bring, but I am cautious.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:46 am

Ain't he the one who said you couldn't top the Williams' theme so why even try? In so many words? Now he's doing it?! What's up with that?! Fun
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:49 am

He changed his mind.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:55 am

James Stocks wrote:He changed his mind.

It wouldn't have had anything to do with this, now would it?

Hans Zimmer Confirmed As Composer On 'Man Of Steel' Busted11
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:57 am

I'm sure that played a part.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:02 pm

I liked hans on pirrates and a few other films. But personally felt his batman themes where very lacking at times compared to say burtons composer. So first of course it isn't to much a surprise now he is on mos probably cause of nolan. Though I would have liked snyder composer to be used. What ever the reason hans landing it. I hope he can do some good scores. And please don't try and do a williams like theme. I want something new and different.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:35 pm

It's funny, I think Elliot Goldenthal should have returned for Nolan's Batman films because he could really deliver a much more superior kind of brooding score that's in tone with Nolan.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next