Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hans Zimmer Confirmed As Composer On 'Man Of Steel'

+5
Comicbookfan-V2
Father Finian
webhead2006
thecolorsblend
Apologist Puncher
9 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Hans Zimmer Confirmed As Composer On 'Man Of Steel' - Page 4 Empty Re: Hans Zimmer Confirmed As Composer On 'Man Of Steel'

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:04 pm

The film needs ZERO ties to the Donner films. At all.

But one thing that would have been a funny, and cool, little thing to throw would be for Cavill to run by a revolving door, look it up and down, and then keep running. Kind of like how they did with the phone booth in 'STM'.

Hans Zimmer Confirmed As Composer On 'Man Of Steel' - Page 4 Movie-phonebooth

It would be a "Hey, remember that?" moment for the REAL Superman fans, and wouldn't be an in-your-face one for the GA.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Hans Zimmer Confirmed As Composer On 'Man Of Steel' - Page 4 Empty Re: Hans Zimmer Confirmed As Composer On 'Man Of Steel'

Post  James Stocks Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:51 pm

If they're gonna throw in homages, I'd like them to throw in something that nods to something other than the Reeve films.

"What's that?"
"A bird? A plane?"
"Um, I don't think they look like that."

Or a variation of that.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:59 pm

James Stocks wrote:If they're gonna throw in homages, I'd like them to throw in something that nods to something other than the Reeve films.

"What's that?"
"A bird? A plane?"

Or a variation of that.

You mean that very thing they did in Singerman?

No thanks.

I prefer my idea.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:02 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:The film needs ZERO ties to the Donner films. At all.

But one thing that would have been a funny, and cool, little thing to throw would be for Cavill to run by a revolving door, look it up and down, and then keep running. Kind of like how they did with the phone booth in 'STM'.

I kinda like this idea, actually. Subtle but direct. An homage but one that implies "we like that movie too... but we're doing something different".
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:09 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:...

I kinda like this idea, actually. Subtle but direct. An homage but one that implies "we like that movie too... but we're doing something different".

Get's it.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:15 pm

Heh, I actually forgot about that SR bit... I think my stab at it is better than Singer's.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:48 am

James Stocks wrote:If they're gonna throw in homages, I'd like them to throw in something that nods to something other than the Reeve films.

"What's that?"
"A bird? A plane?"

Or a variation of that.

That reminds me of the scene from the very first fourth season episode of Smallville with Clark flying for the first time! Don't recall something like that from SR!
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  Scarecrow Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:38 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:The film needs ZERO ties to the Donner films. At all.

Hans Zimmer Confirmed As Composer On 'Man Of Steel' - Page 4 Movie-phonebooth

It would be a "Hey, remember that?" moment for the REAL Superman fans, and wouldn't be an in-your-face one for the GA.

Reeve couldn't have nailed that whole sequence any more if he did 1000 takes.

I think that would be pretty cool, as long as they don't actually steal dialogue from the film I'm fine with it.

Scarecrow
Kirk Alyn
Kirk Alyn

User Reputation : 11

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:52 am

I def love to see a nod to revovling door/phonebooth change for the film.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed May 08, 2013 2:01 am

I downloaded it, saved it on my iPod and will listen to it in a little while. I want that to be the first time I hear it.

I've heard nothing but good things though.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Wed May 08, 2013 6:45 am

You know after listening to these tracks I come to the realization that the score that was heard during the 3rd trailer was the combination of the following tracks "This is Clark Kent" and "Flight", aleast I'd assume it is! And speaking of the track "Flight" I beginning to suspect that that particular track is the main theme now if only I can hear the whole thing just to be sure!

Last edited by Comicbookfan-V2 on Wed May 08, 2013 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed May 08, 2013 9:20 am

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:You know after listening to these tracks I come to the realization that the score that was heard during the 3rd trailer was the combination of the following tracks "This is Clark Kent" and "Flight", aleast I'd assume it is! And speaking of the track "Flight" I beginning to suspect that that particular track is main theme now if only I can hear the whole thing just to be sure!
Pardon my ignorance but I'm wondering how you can glean all those titles and themes and shit from just the YouTube vid I posted. Not saying you're wrong about anything; just that the shit sample video I posted has clips that annoy the piss out of me for being so short (why not just sample one complete track instead of 20 second snippets of each track?!).
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Wed May 08, 2013 9:33 am

thecolorsblend wrote:(why not just sample one complete track instead of 20 second snippets of each track?!).

Actually each of them are about 60 seconds but what I think the real problem is that these tracks start from the beginning instead of in the middle or where the best parts are which infact is still disappointing.

Last edited by Comicbookfan-V2 on Wed May 08, 2013 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed May 08, 2013 9:49 am

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:(why not just sample one complete track instead of 20 second snippets of each track?!).

Actually each of them are about 60 seconds but I what I think the real problem is that these tracks start from the beginning instead of in the middle or where the best parts are which infact is still disappointing.
Poe-tay-toe, poe-tah-toe, it's the principle of the thing that I'm talking about here.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed May 08, 2013 11:38 am

Personally I don't think we've really even heard the new Superman theme yet. Why? Because I haven't heard anything yet that even comes close to stirring me like John Williams' theme! Not even that one that starts off with all the drums & continues to build. Build to what exactly? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's bad music but let's use Batman for a comparison. I love Danny Elfman's score to this very day from the 1989 film but what did Nolan's films bring to the table? I remember two notes which Colors has even pointed out on these boards as sounding like Batman. The rest? Nada.

Now I believe Hans Zimmer is doing a better job with MOS but still.....I just don't think we've heard the real theme yet. If we have heard it then I don't know what to say. Actually I'd think that since there's been so much controversy over replacing the Williams theme that they'd be saving at least some of it for a big reveal in the film itself? But I could be wrong.

Look, I've said myself on here that I think there should be a new theme so that a new Superman franchise can stand on it's own two legs & not always be channeling Reeve & Donner. Give the new guy a chance in other words. So I'm a supporter of a new theme. The problem though is I haven't heard anything yet that even comes close to Williams so just what are we gonna get?! To say I'm concerned would be an understatement.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Wed May 08, 2013 7:06 pm

non_amos wrote:Personally I don't think we've really even heard the new Superman theme yet. Why? Because I haven't heard anything yet that even comes close to stirring me like John Williams' theme! Not even that one that starts off with all the drums & continues to build.

I agree, infact I even mention over at the "We Need Some Movie News" thread that in-spite of what we heard in the 3rd trailer confirmed being the actual soundtrack from the film it's doubtful it was the main theme. For all we know it could very well be some sort of alternate version of the actual theme but who knows? Except for Hans Zimmer himself naturally! One thing I will say is this... If there's going to be a new theme then it should accomplish either two things... Either it tops John Williams's take or at the very least measure up to it cause the last thing we need is a new theme that is below the level of the John Willaims score.
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Wed May 08, 2013 8:42 pm

In case no one has heard it, here's the full track of Zimmer's Superman theme. http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/this-track-from-hans-zimmers-score-for-man-of-steel-might-be-the-best-3-minutes-of-your-day

I think it works. It feels uplifting and heroic, which is what a Superman theme should be. Different from the Williams theme but I'm sure it will fit like a glove for the film.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Wed May 08, 2013 10:25 pm

Same score as featured in the 3rd trailer except there's no quick hard drumming at the end. Still the score does somewhat grows on me for some reason!
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:49 pm

We've not talked much about it here that I can remember so I'll open it up here.

I had a lot of reservations about Hans Zimmer when it was announced he would score the film. I found a lot of his Batman work to be generic and forgettable in some respects. It's grown on me a bit more in recent times but I still enjoy the Elfman and Goldenthal Batman stuff more. But now this guy was going to score Superman? Nervous!

I must say though that the final score has the experimental quality that he marked a lot of Zimmer's work but I'm at a loss to think of a single time when the music felt inappropriate for what was happening in the film. I liked the chorale stuff on Krypton a lot (but I'm a sucker for that in any movie score in this style) and yeah, the score is about as percussive as any Zimmer score but that piano piece that frames a lot of the Smallville/young Clark stuff is sparse but powerful. Very powerful.

As to the elephant in the room... that soaring main theme... wow! I've never thought the Williams main title was unbeatable primarily because I never thought of it as a contest. Williams composed something appropriate to Donner's film and Zimmer had to do likewise for MOS. He did just that and it turned out amazingly well.

I'm not the guy to argue that Zimmer was my first choice to score MOS but I also can't say he didn't knock it out of the park.

Besides, I'm a huge Led Zeppelin fan so it makes me happy that Jason Bonham's work appears on a Superman score.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4