Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Walking Dead

5 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Walking Dead - Page 3 Empty Re: The Walking Dead

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:21 am

thecolorsblend wrote:One other thing.
Spoiler:

I think you answered your own question.

If
Spoiler:
plays their part well, and people like him/her, having him/her
Spoiler:
would be bad for ratings, don't you think?

And incidentally, I can't remember if you ever read a WD trades or not. Have you? I thought there were one or two you'd picked up but I wasn't sure if you're a hardcore fan or not.

Actually, a few years back I was at B&N and picked up the first three or four trades. I read up to the point that
Spoiler:
Anything after that, I'm lost....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Stephen King says "F*** Y**" to writing episodes with his son after Darabont fired:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/21/not-really-a-shock-king-and-joe-hills-walking-dead-went-away-with-darabont/

Not Really A Shock: King And Joe Hill’s Walking Dead Went Away With Darabont
Submitted by Brendon Connelly on October 21, 2011 – 7:20 pm

It’s exactly as you’d expect, I think, but Bleeding Cool have heard from a good source near the show that the moment Stephen King‘s plan to write an episode of The Walking Dead with his son Joe Hill was extinguished was the moment that Frank Darabont came unbound from the show.

No official statement was ever issued, though King did initially tell Entertainment Weekly:

[Darabont] has expressed enthusiastic interest for season 2 or possibly 3.

That was the plan, so – as I said – the reversal of fortune was not hard to predict after Darabont departed the showrunner’s throne.

At least the confirmation underlines solidarity between Darabont and King, which is nice.

The second season of the show started on UK TV tonight, with the second episode screening on FX next Friday at 9pm. US readers can stay five days ahead by tuning into AMC this Sunday at 9pm.

I’ve seen the first four episodes and talked about some of them in this week’s podcast. Meanwhile, Hannah is providing week-by-week reviews of the show for us. At least one of us is packing some real criticisms, though it is fair to say we’re both enjoying it over all.

Not really, but the outcome is still the same.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:00 am

Can't say as I blame the guy. The impression I got was that his interest in writing an episode primarily revolved around his working relationship with Darabont. I haven't seen anything to make me think he's a fan of the source material (although hell, he could be for all I know). A TV writing gig is a good chunk of money for anybody lucky enough to land one so King turning his back on it really says a lot about his ethics in the matter.

Then again, he can't be hard up for anything these days.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:48 am

Ya that sucks alot.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:38 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Can't say as I blame the guy. The impression I got was that his interest in writing an episode primarily revolved around his working relationship with Darabont. I haven't seen anything to make me think he's a fan of the source material (although hell, he could be for all I know). A TV writing gig is a good chunk of money for anybody lucky enough to land one so King turning his back on it really says a lot about his ethics in the matter.

It's all a matter of principle to him. AMC did Darabont wrong, King tells them to jump in a lake.

Then again, he can't be hard up for anything these days.

The guy has more money than he can shake his dick at.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:02 pm

Well episode 2 just finished airing here on the east coast. Another solid episode. Good drama with zhane, rick and carl and i am glad to see he isnt dead yet. Also was cool to learn of these new survivors. Then the continuiting issue with the one lady's daughter i do hope she is found soon. It would be disapointing to see both kid characters offed. Also old guy and the black dude had some nice character moments. All in all enjoyable episode. Boy poor zhane and the other guy otis trapped in the school. Next week should be a good one.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:24 am

Ok last night episode of walking dead was a pretty good episode. Lori and rick still at the farmhouse with carl and the doctor. I am glad the kid survived. I was rooting for him not to get killed off. The search for the little girl is still on going. I too hope she is found soon. I liked the stuff at the school with shane and otis, but man what a totall ass shane was to otis when we saw what really happened. All in all a good episode.

webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:57 pm

I knew before even watching the episode what Shane was going to do.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:14 pm

But havent they diverged a bit from the comics on whats up with shane.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:50 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:I knew before even watching the episode what Shane was going to do.
I didn't... but I'd pretty much figured the big picture of what he did when he got back to the farm alone.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:06 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:I didn't... but I'd pretty much figured the big picture of what he did when he got back to the farm alone.

Driven, going slightly mad "Dad" to a dying boy trying to escape a horde of zombies with an overweight, slow man who is "responsible" for the boys predicament in the first place?

Otis was toast the minute he volunteered to go with Shane.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:38 am

One subplot that I'm sick to shit of is Sophia getting lost. Look fuckers, she won the Darwin Award, cheer the chlorination of the gene pool and let's move on already. It was never a compelling subplot in the first place but after three fucking episodes it has officially worn out its welcome. Kill her, find her, whatever, but let's move the fuck on already, shall we? For crying out loud...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:15 pm

i agree they are dragging the missing girl a bit much now.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:51 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:One subplot that I'm sick to shit of is Sophia getting lost. Look fuckers, she won the Darwin Award, cheer the chlorination of the gene pool and let's move on already. It was never a compelling subplot in the first place but after three fucking episodes it has officially worn out its welcome. Kill her, find her, whatever, but let's move the fuck on already, shall we? For crying out loud...

You know, 3 episodes in and nothing much has progressed, really. The whole missing girl subplot is a dud, and it would be best for the show if they wrapped that up on this week's show. Or are we going to have ANOTHER episode where 2 characters find ANOTHER corpse around ANOTHER tent? Move it along people.

The budget cuts and AMC interference are rearing their ugly heads. So far, anyway.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:34 pm

This was really the first episode where the missing Sophia thing really became annoying. I get it, the writers have a hard on for copious amounts of character development and interaction. Good, great, fine, but I for one would rather have seen some spoilery stuff from the comics finally fucking happen already. You probably know what I'm talking about. Some things that happen on the farm AFTER Carl's recovery.

Again, this show should fucking well write itself. The fact that it's been such an uphill struggle makes me wonder who the hell the story editor is on this show. The guy needs to get fired, it's that simple.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:59 pm

2 out of the first 3 episodes had two characters searching for her and finding a tent with either a dead body, or a zombie.

That ain't good television.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:13 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:2 out of the first 3 episodes had two characters searching for her and finding a tent with either a dead body, or a zombie.
Two out of the first three episodes also had the elder statesman serial killer dude from Beneath The Mask digging bullet fragments out of a kid.

That ain't good television.
You said it. QFT.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:51 pm

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=49263

Spoiler:
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:59 pm

I haven't watched this show but by the way you guys are talking, it's sounds like TPTB may have made a 'grave' mistake (pun intended) by getting rid of Frank Darabont. The producers shoot themselves in the foot perhaps?
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:08 am

non_amos wrote:I haven't watched this show but by the way you guys are talking, it's sounds like TPTB may have made a 'grave' mistake (pun intended) by getting rid of Frank Darabont. The producers shoot themselves in the foot perhaps?
Well, let's cut the shit here for a minute, it's not like Darabont knocked it out of the park in season 1. He pushed for big budgets and a feature-like approach. But as far as your basic storytelling is concerned, I don't see too much of a difference between this season and the last. And hell, in terms of aesthetics and budget and whatnot, I'm not seeing a vast difference there either. Three episodes in and Darabont's absence has yet to really be noted by me.

I'll give Darabont his due in that he shot one hell of a pilot. It looked, I dunno, like a FILM. Good writing, good acting, good directing, the whole burrito. But apart from that, I can't really put my finger on anything that says "Darabont would've done this better".

As to the spoiler... Puncher, am I the only one who really doesn't care about that subplot? I mean, it wasn't all that engrossing in the comics, I could take or leave it and the majority of the pathos behind it is mostly tied in to the subplots, ah, "resolution" but apart from that... I just don't really care about that aspect too much.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:23 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Well, let's cut the shit here for a minute, it's not like Darabont knocked it out of the park in season 1. He pushed for big budgets and a feature-like approach. But as far as your basic storytelling is concerned, I don't see too much of a difference between this season and the last. And hell, in terms of aesthetics and budget and whatnot, I'm not seeing a vast difference there either. Three episodes in and Darabont's absence has yet to really be noted by me.

Actually, look at the lack of action & sets to see where the smaller budget comes into play. Everything has happened either on a freeway, in a school, or a farmhouse. Very little lighting/staging needed.

And there are far less zombies too.

As to the spoiler... Puncher, am I the only one who really doesn't care about that subplot? I mean, it wasn't all that engrossing in the comics, I could take or leave it and the majority of the pathos behind it is mostly tied in to the subplots, ah, "resolution" but apart from that... I just don't really care about that aspect too much.

You know, I take it as "There. See, we ARE doing SOME things from the funnnybook! That ought to please the fanboys!". And really, who wouldn't see that coming, even if they never read one of the comics in their life?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:43 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:You know, I take it as "There. See, we ARE doing SOME things from the funnnybook! That ought to please the fanboys!". And really, who wouldn't see that coming, even if they never read one of the comics in their life?
I'm starting to wonder about this angle, actually. Sometimes the impression is that these folks are looking down their noses at the comic. For some comics... well, I wouldn't approve even then but I could kind of understand. But this ain't the comic you look down your nose at. Hell, I'd argue it's a lot more accessible to non-comic book folks than Sandman, Watchmen or a lot of other famous ones.

*sigh*
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:06 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:I'm starting to wonder about this angle, actually. Sometimes the impression is that these folks are looking down their noses at the comic. For some comics... well, I wouldn't approve even then but I could kind of understand. But this ain't the comic you look down your nose at. Hell, I'd argue it's a lot more accessible to non-comic book folks than Sandman, Watchmen or a lot of other famous ones.

*sigh*

What's amazing is, even after ALL the success studios have had from using "funnybook characters", there is still a total lack of respect for the source material.

It's mind-blowing.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:25 pm

I thought last night episode was pretty solid. It was good to see carl is well and getting better. Also the group wanting to stay on the faarm by rick pleasses to the owner I thought was a good dynamic and source of a bit of drama. The whole zombie in well scene was freaky and gross. As for lori and her pregrancy here we go with the drama that will bring between her/rick/shane. S for glenn I thought his sex scene with the doctor daughter was well acted and shot. I am a little pissed the girl sofia is still missing. I was really hoping that plot would have ended. All in all a fair episode all around.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:17 pm

One zombie the entire episode.

See the budget cuts now?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin