Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Superman Vs. The Elite' Animated Film

+2
thecolorsblend
Apologist Puncher
6 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

'Superman Vs. The Elite' Animated Film - Page 3 Empty Re: 'Superman Vs. The Elite' Animated Film

Post  thecolorsblend Sat May 12, 2012 11:54 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:Good find.

It's what I do.
Really? And here I thought you punched Apologists. But then again, what's in a name?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

'Superman Vs. The Elite' Animated Film - Page 3 Empty Re: 'Superman Vs. The Elite' Animated Film

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun May 13, 2012 12:56 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Really? And here I thought you punched Apologists. But then again, what's in a name?

ApologistPuncher is who I AM. Finding interesting things to talk about is what I DO.

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue May 22, 2012 6:24 pm

Three clips from Superman VS The Elite:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/animated_features/news/?a=60210
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed May 23, 2012 8:45 pm

Any reason why they aren't showing very much of Superman in action?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu May 24, 2012 2:31 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Any reason why they aren't showing very much of Superman in action?
Part of me suspects it's the "Superman isn't interesting enough on his own" shit.

But honestly, the marketing already has their job done with Superman in some ways. The audience for these movies knows who he is. They may not know too much about the Elite though.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue May 29, 2012 11:11 pm

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/SuperHeroTooniverse/news/?a=60624

SUPERMAN VS. THE ELITE: George Newbern Q&A
Justice League Unlimited's George Newbern returns as the voice of the Man of Steel in Superman vs. The Elite, the latest DC Comics Premiere Movie coming June 12 from Warner Home Video.

Newbern put all the resounding tones of truth, justice and the American way into the commanding vocals behind the animation of Superman in both the Justice League and Justice League Unlimited television series. He last reprised the character’s voice for the DC Showcase original animated short, Superman/Shazam! The Return of Black Adam.

'Superman Vs. The Elite' Animated Film - Page 3 44816L

Newbern is a constant on primetime television, appearing on current hit series like NCIS, The Mentalist, Castle and Grey’s Anatomy, to name a but a few. He’s widely recognized for his starring turn opposite Steve Martin in Father of the Bride, and for the NBC series Providence. His latest projects include a recurring role on the new ABC hit series Scandal.

In SUPERMAN VS. THE ELITE, Superman's effectiveness as a super hero comes into question when a new group of super powerful crusaders, known as "The Elite," appear on the scene. As super heroes, the Elite know no bounds, and are more than willing to kill, even on a massive scale, to stop villainy -- putting them on a collision course with the ever-ethical and decidedly non-lethal Man of Steel.

Newbern is joined in the core cast by NCIS star Pauley Perrette as Lois Lane and versatile voice actor Robin Atkin Downes (Babylon 5) as Manchester Black, leader of The Elite. David Kaufman (Justice League: Doom) also reprises his Justice League TV series role as Jimmy Olsen.

Produced by Warner Premiere, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Animation, the all-new, PG-13 rated film arrives June 12, 2012 from Warner Home Video as a Blu-ray™ Combo Pack and DVD, On Demand and for Download. Both the Blu-ray™ Combo Pack and DVD will include an UltraViolet™ Digital Copy.

Newbern offered a few thoughts about playing Superman in a short chat following his final recording session for the film. Here’s what Mr. Newbern had to say …

'Superman Vs. The Elite' Animated Film - Page 3 44821L

QUESTION:
Where do you start as an actor when trying to create a voice for Superman?

GEORGE NEWBERN:
I think you watch an actor like Jimmy Stewart in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington or It’s a Wonderful Life, and you try to find the humanity of an everyman like that. When I think of an All-American hero, I think of an actor in a role like that. And that’s what Superman really is – an American hero. Super powers are just ancillary. It’s that character, with all those principles and understanding, that’s who he is right there.

QUESTION:
Are there any specific characteristics you believe are essential to the voice?

GEORGE NEWBERN:
I think I tried to portray a sense of trust and power and charisma for Superman. I think that’s what we believe Superman is.

'Superman Vs. The Elite' Animated Film - Page 3 44817L

QUESTION:
You had a guest role on Private Practice opposite Tim Daly, the actor you replaced as Superman for the Justice League animated series. Did the commonality come up for discussion while you were on set?

GEORGE NEWBERN:
We laughed about it. I said something like “Thanks for being busy,” and he asked if I was having fun with it. We didn’t really compare notes … there was no secret handshake or anything. But there was an acknowledgment that we’re in an exclusive club.

QUESTION:
Aside from Superman, do you have a favorite DC Comics character?

GEORGE NEWBERN:
I like Flash a lot. He cracks me up. And always has something to say. Plus Michael (Rosenbaum) is hysterical. But all of those actors on Justice League were terrific – a really great group of people. We had fun with the core cast in the old days. Susan (Eisenberg) and Michael and Carl (Lumbly) and the gang. Then we had these rotating guest casts as the seasons went on, and it was insane to see who would come through the door of the booth. It was guys like John Rhys-Davies, Ed Asner, Powers Boothe, Mark Hamill. There were so many great actors. It was funny because I’d go to work on a TV series and I’d look at one of the series regulars and immediately realize, “Oh, he did a role on Justice League!” So it was fun. It was a lot like doing a little reader’s play every week.

'Superman Vs. The Elite' Animated Film - Page 3 44819L

QUESTION:
What value do you see for comic books in society today?

GEORGE NEWBERN:
I see value in comic books, especially in terms of graphic art. It’s sort of old school and I think it gives people something tangible. Kids are reading things like e-books, and people are starting to forget that reading can be held in your hand and seen and appreciated.
So there’s a tactile benefit to it. And the old style is a great way to tell a story. Things don’t have to be 3D or complicated. That’s where a comic book comes in – it’s a simple, 2D way to tell a story with great art and words. There’s a lot of value in that.

QUESTION:
What are your children’s impressions of you voicing Superman?

GEORGE NEWBERN:
Since I’ve been doing it so long, my two younger children, when they are asked, are quick to say, ‘My dad is Superman.” That’s the first thing they knew, the first thing they told the other kids at school. Forget about the other 93 things I’ve done. To them, the coolest thing I’ve ever done is to play Superman.

'Superman Vs. The Elite' Animated Film - Page 3 44820L
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed May 30, 2012 2:59 pm

A good find there ap. He had some nice comments on playing superman and what he thinks are the idealism and all for the character.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:01 pm

What is up with that stupid tiny hat???
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:23 pm

Hmm. Nice to hear Newbern is back as Supes. I may just rent this.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:24 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:

What is up with that stupid tiny hat???
I'm still trying to get comfortable with that line style. It'll take some getting used to.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:38 pm

Watched this today, so I figured I'd give my own little review. Spoilers probable.

It was a.....decent, adaption of Action Comics #775. I don't think the animation style fit for such a "dark" story. It need a little more grit, a little less brightness. The animation was the frustrating kind, where some scenes it looks good, other scenes half-assed. And the opening credits? Whose idea was THAT??

There was definitely a lot of "filler" in the movie, but strangely, if they had just done a straight-up adaption, there wouldn't have really been a need. When Superman first meets The Elite, it's not the same as the book. He actually tries leading them, and they take down some bio-mechanical creatures. Black then takes Superman, and gives him his "origin". As this takes place, Black is hit with "super empathy"?? and realizes many, many people are in trouble. Once again Supes leads The Elite, and they end-up rescuing hundreds of people. But Manchester Black shows his "dark side" and attempts to kill the terrorists responsible, but Superman is able to talk him down.

Anyway, as the film progresses, Black and The Elite kill a large portion of a countries army, Superman doesn't like this, Black doesn't care, people debate whose ways are more productive, Black makes an announcement to the world that THEY are in charge, Superman goes to the Kent farm. And here, they RUINED one of the best portions of the issue. When Clark is talking to Jonathan, and he tries explaining that there is nothing wrong with how Clark does what he does, and then says something to the effect of "And if it comes down to it, you can still kick the shit out of them, can't you Clark? .......Clark?". Yeah, this was botched and was a MORONIC way to handle it.

So Superman gets pissed when Black murders the Atomic Skull, and punches him. Just like in the comics, this is what he wanted. So Clark talks it over with Lois, she is worried, he goes out to meet them at dawn. Things basically go down like they did in the comic, but once again the "brightness" to everything ruins the moment. Superman takes punishment, they think he's dead, he comes back and "kills" them one by one. He confronts Black, Black is going Nuckin' Futs over what Superman did to his team, Supes lobotomizes him. Of course this all turns out to be a ruse, but they go too far in explainign just HOW he did what he did. We didn't need to see what exactly he had done, and how. Just that he DID.

I give it 3 out of 5 stars. Worth a rental, but nowhere near as good as other DC animated films. Could, and should, have been better.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:32 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:There was definitely a lot of "filler" in the movie, but strangely, if they had just done a straight-up adaption, there wouldn't have really been a need.
This is something that's concerned me for a while. The oh-riginal comic book is pretty anemic if you attempt a direct adaptation of it. That comes out to, what, 15 or 20 minutes of story? Of which about half is a big fight scene?

It doesn't come as a surprise that they've modified the content. Something was always going to have to give when it comes to that.

I'll post a review when I finally get a chance to watch it. But thanks for your thoughts.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:36 am

thecolorsblend wrote:This is something that's concerned me for a while. The oh-riginal comic book is pretty anemic if you attempt a direct adaptation of it. That comes out to, what, 15 or 20 minutes of story? Of which about half is a big fight scene?

Actually, the issue is "double sized" or something. It's larger than a regular comic.

And when you watch it, if you have the issue, compare the scenes they ADDED to what they subtracted.

They would fill the same amount of time.

It doesn't come as a surprise that they've modified the content. Something was always going to have to give when it comes to that.

I'll post a review when I finally get a chance to watch it. But thanks for your thoughts.

For being so "bright and kid-friendly" looking, it is pretty violent. With some blatant sexual innuendos too.

And it comes out June 12th, 2012.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:30 pm

After watching it again, I change my mind about the final score:

4/5

Definitely watch it, and watch it TWICE before you make-up your mind.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:47 am

Watched it on Wednesday night with some friends. Overall? I liked it. Newbern sounded better than I was first expecting. That goth NCIS chick as Lois did her job well. Pretty good.

Part of me thought it would've been kinda funny if James Marsters had voiced Manchester (the black coat, the accent, the colored hair; I think he's got some insight into characters like that) but, apart from line style (which I don't think was entirely appropriate to the material), I enjoyed it.

On the other hand, I think I'd be up for any movie where Superman is the headliner that doesn't feature him (A) dying of cancer (B) getting beaten to death or (C) getting upstaged by some other character.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:13 am

I think with a better animation style, it would have been a perfect 5 out of 5 for me.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:29 am

thecolorsblend wrote:

On the other hand, I think I'd be up for any movie where Superman is the headliner that doesn't feature him (A) dying of cancer (B) getting beaten to death or (C) getting upstaged by some other character.

'Superman Vs. The Elite' Animated Film - Page 3 Darkni10

Something like this? I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this ain't what started it!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:53 am

non_amos wrote:
'Superman Vs. The Elite' Animated Film - Page 3 Darkni10

Something like this? I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this ain't what started it!
Basically, yeah. I'm not the biggest TDKR fan in the world but I kinda dig the story. But even as a kid, the portrayal of Superman in that thing bothered me. It bothered me that it merely existed but even then I feared that other creative people and fans might not be able to contextualize the scene. Superman wasn't really fighting back in that scene. His intention was to defuse the situation, not escalate it. Batman took advantage of Superman's agenda... and beat his ass. Even in context, that bothers me. But out of context, it really bothers me.

I guess history proved me right because that whole "Batman can kick Superman's ass" meme has become a Frankenstein in the past several years.

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Now with less stupid!!)
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:25 pm

I have a feeling that 'The Dark Knight Returns Part 2' is going to exacerbate this problem to a whole new level...
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3