Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diane Lane Cast As Martha Kent

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Diane Lane Cast As Martha Kent Empty Diane Lane Cast As Martha Kent

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:28 pm

http://twitter.com/Variety_JLD/status/43148761626710016#

BREAKING: Diane Lane cast in "Superman." Don't know role. Probably Ma Kent. Story coming ...

Last edited by Apologist Puncher on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Diane Lane Cast As Martha Kent Empty Re: Diane Lane Cast As Martha Kent

Post  webhead2006 Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:34 pm

Pretty cool good name there, probably is for ma kent.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:38 pm

Announcement:

http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/warner-bros-sets-diane-lane-for-supermans-mom/

BURBANK, CA, March 2, 2011 – Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures announced today that Oscar®-nominated actress Diane Lane will play Martha Kent, the only mother Clark Kent has ever known, in the new Superman movie to be directed by Zack Snyder.
Snyder stated, “This was a very important piece of casting for me because Martha Kent is the woman whose values helped shape the man we know as Superman. We are thrilled to have Diane in the role because she can convey the wisdom and the wonder of a woman whose son has powers beyond her imagination.”

Lane will star with Henry Cavill, who was recently announced as the new Clark Kent/Superman.

Lane earned an Academy Award® nomination for her performance in the 2002 drama “Unfaithful.” She most recently starred in the family hit “Secretariat.” She next stars in the HBO feature “Cinema Verite,” opposite Tim Robbins and James Gandolfini. Lane’s long list of film credits also includes “Nights in Rodanthe,” “Hollywoodland,” “Must Love Dogs,” “Under the Tuscan Sun,” “Perfect Storm,” “My Dog Skip,” “Chaplin,” “The Cotton Club” and “A Little Romance,” to name only a portion.

Charles Roven, Emma Thomas, Christopher Nolan and Deborah Snyder are the producers of the film. The screenplay is being written by David S. Goyer based on a story by Goyer and Nolan. Thomas Tull and Lloyd Phillips are serving as executive producers.
Slated for release in December 2012, the new Superman movie will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

Great choice.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:52 pm

Want to know the truly CRAZY part?

Ma Kent in the reboot is going to be HOTTER than Lois Lame was in Singerman Peeps!
Diane Lane Cast As Martha Kent Diane-lane-picture-6
Diane Lane Cast As Martha Kent Kate_bosworth
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:11 am

Great offical press release for diane, and man martha for reboot is a real milf lol.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:28 am

Irrespective of how the final movie turns out, this *IS* a good choice.

Apologist Puncher wrote:Want to know the truly CRAZY part?

Ma Kent in the reboot is going to be HOTTER than Lois Lame was in Singerman Peeps!
No doubts there. But then it's only logical if you think about it. Superman in the reboot is going to be a lot manlier than Singerman was.

Sorta makes you wonder what's in store as far as Lois is concerned. Hathaway as Lois would feel of a piece with the way Snyder's casting choices are shaping up.

Someone joked about Josh Brolin as Jonathan Kent... which could actually be a damn good choice, if you think about it. I dig the Costner rumor (but I dig Costner in general so whatever) but it'd be friggin sweet if Brolin was Jonathan.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:37 am

I am personally hoping for wilde for lois. As for brolin would be an interesting choice though I do like the costner for pa.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:14 am

More pics of Diane Lane, even though I'm probably just talking to myself. Again:

Diane Lane Cast As Martha Kent Diane_lane
Diane Lane Cast As Martha Kent Diane-lane-over40-0909-de
Diane Lane Cast As Martha Kent DianeLane2

'Secretariat' Premiere:
Diane Lane Cast As Martha Kent Ww-diane-lane-secretariat
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:54 am

Mmm hmm, she doesn't look 47, I'll tell you that.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:47 am

People are complaining that she is "only" 19 years older than Cavill. Really?

I guess I can understand that, seeing as how EVERYONE in HollyWeird ALWAYS plays their true ages in every single role they are in. Like when Brad Pitt grew younger in Benjamin Button, and is now an infan....... Ok, bad example. How about Carla Gugino in 'Watchmen' when she played the 60-something year old Sally Jupiter? As we know, Gugino was born in 1951.... Wait, what was that? She wasn't born until 1971?? Shit.

Anyone bitching about Diane Lane's age needs to get kicked in their shriveled little RAISINS.........
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:57 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:People are complaining that she is "only" 19 years older than Cavill. Really?

I guess I can understand that, seeing as how EVERYONE in HollyWeird ALWAYS plays their true ages in every single role they are in. Like when Brad Pitt grew younger in Benjamin Button, and is now an infan....... Ok, bad example. How about Carla Gugino in 'Watchmen' when she played the 60-something year old Sally Jupiter? As we know, Gugino was born in 1951.... Wait, what was that? She wasn't born until 1971?? Shit.

Anyone bitching about Diane Lane's age needs to get kicked in their shriveled little RAISINS.........
You forget, most of the people doing the whining are either (A) Apologists or (B) people who only know Superman from the movies.

Either way you care to slice it, there's precedent TO SPARE for the Kents to be "only" 20 to 25 years older than Clark. Diane Lane could pass for 50 and Cavill could pass for 25. Easy peezy.

But let's pretend for just a moment that the argument even has merit (it DOESN'T but go with me here). How do we know Lane will be playing Martha in the "present"? How do we know that all of her scenes won't be flashbacks to, say, when Superman's ship landed on Earth and that general time frame?

See, THIS is what the Apologists do and will continue to do. They lost out on their little Singerman 2- Man of Pleather and they're pissed off about it. They're going to do all in their power to sink this reboot. Snyder and this film are guilty until proven innocent in my eyes but that doesn't mean it's time to pronounce judgment and then execution just yet; it just means I'm prejudiced and cynical as all fuck. That's not license to run the movie down at every step of the way.

To put it bluntly, if you're not happy that Diane Lane has been cast as Martha over age issues, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. It's as simple as that.

Don't forget who we're dealing with here, dude.

EDIT- Something else, Diane Lane played Hayden Christensen's mom in Jumper. Love or hate the film or the actors in it, but one gripe I never heard about that movie was the age issue between Lane and Christensen (who's roughly the same age as Cavill, give or take a year or two).
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:13 pm

Man, this news makes me personally very happy. Longtime Lane fan here, for reasons AP has demonstrated in the above photos.....and she can act!

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:23 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:See, THIS is what the Apologists do and will continue to do. They lost out on their little Singerman 2- Man of Pleather and they're pissed off about it.

Oh yes, and more to come, you can count on it.

They forget that she also played Robin Williams mother in that piece of crap film a while back.....and O'Toole wasn't that much older when Smallville premiered either. Anyone with half a brain can see she's ideal. Can easily play younger in "flashbacks" if required as well as a little make up and a bit of grey in the hair for older Ma, if required. I think she's a win, win all around.

They're also clearly upset that so far this film seems to be aimed at the heterosexual audience, so most of the apologists will have a hard time dealing with that too.

All this reminds me of my favorite apologist quote on the Homopage some time back...One of the sheep declared he no longer would watch Smallville because Clark getting a job at the Daily Planet without any journalistic qualifications made the show "unbelievable"

Fuckin priceless.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:00 pm

Ya I am happy with her I seen some of her work but I was saying over at shh boards the other week when costner name poped up lane or someone like helen mirren would be suitable choices and its a great pick with lane. Now I can't wait to see if its costner as pa or someone else as good.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Diane Lane Cast As Martha Kent Empty RE: Diane Lane Cast As Martha Kent

Post  non_amos Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:38 pm

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/165241-diane-lane-hints-at-superman-story

Diane Lane Hints at Superman Story
by SuperHeroHype
Apr 13th, 2011
How early in life do we get to see Superman?

Diane Lane, who will play Martha Kent in Zack Snyder's Man of Steel, briefly hinted to E! Online about how early in life we'll get to see Superman:

"I read the script under lock and key... I was locked in a room with the script and was only allowed three hours with it. I nailed it into my memory. I'm really excited. I'm really not allowed to talk much about it, I think, but it does cover the entire range of years, from infancy on."

Lane previously starred alongside Ben Affleck in the George Reeves film Hollywoodland, and she added:"When I worked on Hollywoodland, I got to experience sort of the behind the scenes of what it was like for the people who were making the television series that I grew up watching, so it's all very inbred in my mind... But this is going to be a whole reinvention. A visitation and a reinvention."

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/marc_malkin/b236181_superman_locks_diane_lane_in_room_three.html
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:52 pm

Hm. The "infancy" thing along with the Zod announcement should pretty much put paid to the idea of this thing being a direct adaptation of Sucky Origin. Or so I can hope.

And hell, Diane Lane sounds pretty excited. If she can get be enthusiastic about it, that's surely a good sign...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:02 pm

I don't see much issue with what she said. Seems like all the standard stuff we see. Martha/jonathan finding baby kalel, a few scenes as kid/teen and then they alive in adulthood and his superman life.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:13 pm

As to the title of the EONLINE article from which SHH derived their info, I found it amusing:

Superman Locks Diane Lane in Room for Three Hours.

I mean, can you blame him?! She's one hot MILF! But wait, that's his Mom! Just kidding. However, I'm sure that one can appreciate the point? Not bad at all for 47! 3 hours sounds just about right. Wink

But on to a more serious issue, how long before duh apologists start whining about 'yet another origin story'? A quick trip to duh Homopage ought to confirm any suspicions. I will when I have time. Very Happy
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:17 pm

Personally don't see origin as a issue its a new film series so we are bound to at least get snipits of origin anyway so we can see why this one is different.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:58 pm

I guess it didn't take duh apologists long to come out of the woodwork. I believe this guy is one of AP's favorites he likes to quote. Here's his latest turd-nugget:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=9592#comments

#4 | Sabaoth on April 13, 2011 7:23pm EST
So it is an origin story after all!
We're getting to see baby Kal-El being rocketed from krypton.
I wonder what kind of Krypton they have in store for us. The Donner Krypton has become iconic.

Does this guy even know the definition of reboot? Yes, puh-leaaazzzeee, give us another helping of DONNERVERSE (because it's iconic) & an extra heaping helping of 'KNEEL BEFORE ZOD'. While we're at it, let's see if we can get Brandon 'BJ' Routhman to play NON. I mean, the guy's just gotta be in this film. He deserves it! Rolling Eyes

I'm sure duh apologists haven't even gotten warmed up yet. The interesting thing though will to be seeing just how much EUNUCH is willing to put up with now. There's a new 'cash cow' in town, boys & girls! Time to learn a new goose step! Or ship out. Your choice! Wink
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:30 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Hm. The "infancy" thing along with the Zod announcement should pretty much put paid to the idea of this thing being a direct adaptation of Sucky Origin. Or so I can hope.

And hell, Diane Lane sounds pretty excited. If she can get be enthusiastic about it, that's surely a good sign...

I think it will be a combo of, as you called it, "Sucky Origins" and "Earth One" with a sprinkling of "Birthright" too. Substitute generic 'Kiss' bad guy with General Zod, and start him out as a "comrade" of Superman instead of an intergalactic assassin.

My prediction, anyway.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:40 pm

non_amos wrote:
#4 | Sabaoth on April 13, 2011 7:23pm EST
So it is an origin story after all!
We're getting to see baby Kal-El being rocketed from krypton.
I wonder what kind of Krypton they have in store for us. The Donner Krypton has become iconic.

Does this guy even know the definition of reboot? Yes, puh-leaaazzzeee, give us another helping of DONNERVERSE (because it's iconic) & an extra heaping helping of 'KNEEL BEFORE ZOD'. While we're at it, let's see if we can get Brandon 'BJ' Routhman to play NON. I mean, the guy's just gotta be in this film. He deserves it! Rolling Eyes
[/quote]
Most of 'em are already there. "Kneel before Zod", "this is no fantasy", "crystal Krypton", etc. And, yeah, lots of Blandon. The more, the better (to them). Ugh...

non_amos wrote:I'm sure duh apologists haven't even gotten warmed up yet. The interesting thing though will to be seeing just how much EUNUCH is willing to put up with now. There's a new 'cash cow' in town, boys & girls! Time to learn a new goose step! Or ship out. Your choice! Wink
I've been predicting that for some time. I can't remember the last time I saw Terminal post a comment, which sort of makes me wonder. The motherfucker never shut up with his pro-Singerman bleating before and now he's suddenly quiet? Bailey's gone too. Strange how some of those most vocal and militant Apologists seem to have quieted down over on the Younis page. Even that MostPowerfulSolarisGazer chick doesn't seem to have been too active over there from what I can remember.

Kinda makes you wonder if Younis has been cleaning house quietly...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:45 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:Hm. The "infancy" thing along with the Zod announcement should pretty much put paid to the idea of this thing being a direct adaptation of Sucky Origin. Or so I can hope.

I think it will be a combo of, as you called it, "Sucky Origins" and "Earth One" with a sprinkling of "Birthright" too. Substitute generic 'Kiss' bad guy with General Zod, and start him out as a "comrade" of Superman instead of an intergalactic assassin.

My prediction, anyway.
Some people have been predicting that Zod will only be seen in the Krypton stuff in the reboot to set up his involvement in the future while a "new" (to the films anyway) villain is the principal threat. Not saying I buy into that (esp since THAT is an almost direct "homage" to Donner) but I've seen it kicked around a bit.

I don't like a self-deprecating Superman. And that's what we got in Sucky Origin. My hope is that Goyer has the good sense to not write Clark making a joke about The Suit (as he did in Sucky Origin more than once). If that happens, Goyer's going on my shitlist right alongside Bryan Singer (whom I've already promised myself I'd kick in the shins if I ever meet in real life).
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:52 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Some people have been predicting that Zod will only be seen in the Krypton stuff in the reboot to set up his involvement in the future while a "new" (to the films anyway) villain is the principal threat. Not saying I buy into that (esp since THAT is an almost direct "homage" to Donner) but I've seen it kicked around a bit.

These same people just can't accept that their own personal fan-film isn't going to happen.

It'll be Zod & Co., with a "nod" to a future villain at the end.

I don't like a self-deprecating Superman. And that's what we got in Sucky Origin. My hope is that Goyer has the good sense to not write Clark making a joke about The Suit (as he did in Sucky Origin more than once). If that happens, Goyer's going on my shitlist right alongside Bryan Singer (whom I've already promised myself I'd kick in the shins if I ever meet in real life).

Indeed, that isn't necessary.

You DON'T relaunch a film series with a "wink-wink/nudge-nudge" about how SILLY the character or his costume is.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:12 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:I don't like a self-deprecating Superman. And that's what we got in Sucky Origin. My hope is that Goyer has the good sense to not write Clark making a joke about The Suit (as he did in Sucky Origin more than once). If that happens, Goyer's going on my shitlist right alongside Bryan Singer (whom I've already promised myself I'd kick in the shins if I ever meet in real life).

Indeed, that isn't necessary.

You DON'T relaunch a film series with a "wink-wink/nudge-nudge" about how SILLY the character or his costume is.
Yep. One thing Donner brought across was the idea of BELIEVING in the material. When the filmmaker invests himself in the subject matter, audiences are likely to follow suit. If he looks down his nose at it... well, you end up with shit like Sucky Origin. "I'm never wearing this stupid costume again". "I wouldn't WANT anyone to see me in this thing." "Don't think about how tight it is."

People can gripe about Singerman as much as they want (and obviously they're right to do so) but Geoff Johns pissed on The Legend just as much in his own way, as far as I'm concerned.

Whatever quibbles I may have with Birthright, Mark Waid took the shit seriously from beginning to end. John Byrne takes a backseat to nobody for my money but Waid DEFINITELY made his bones with Birthright.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next