Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snyder Talks Cavill and Superman's "relevance"

5 posters

Go down

Snyder Talks Cavill and Superman's "relevance" Empty Snyder Talks Cavill and Superman's "relevance"

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:38 pm

Comicbookmovie.com has a snippet up of an interview Snyder did with Sci-Fi Now magazine.

Zack Snyder to Sci-Fi Now magazine wrote:"You’ve got to keep in mind that they look at Superman as passé because that is the way he’s been approached in the movies," says Snyder. "It’s not like the movies have done anything to fight that, so all I can say is that Chris [Nolan] and David [Goyer] address that in their story. I think the challenge is to make him relevant – figure out how we can make them care about him. That is the challenge."

He believes a good part of meeting that challenge is the casting of Henry Cavill as the Man of Steel. "He just did a great job with the material that we had him try out, so it was a win-win situation,” he notes. “He’s definitely – without saying what our Superman is – it. He knows how to do what we needed him to do."

As to the appeal of taking on the character, Snyder enthuses, "Superman’s the king daddy; he’s the shit. If you can make him work, in the end there’s nobody else in the superhero world. For me, Watchmen was the exact opposite of Superman in that now that I’ve deconstructed the superhero world — I tore the curtain down — maybe I’m the right guy to put it back up."

Exciting and daunting as well is the notion that with this film he will become a part of a much bigger legacy.

“It’s like participating in the Olympics,” he smiles. "I know that’s a weird metaphor, but, you know, there is definitely a historical aspect that is beyond you. The character is bigger than you and you have to keep that in mind. And the character will continue when you’re done. I feel pretty good about that now."

URL- http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/VoicesFromKrypton/news/?a=31167

Anytime the subject of Superman's "relevance" comes up, I tend to worry.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Snyder Talks Cavill and Superman's "relevance" Empty Re: Snyder Talks Cavill and Superman's "relevance"

Post  webhead2006 Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:18 pm

Interesting interview. I do hope snyder/goyer/nolan get superman right.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Snyder Talks Cavill and Superman's "relevance" Empty RE: Snyder Talks Cavill & Superman's "relevance"

Post  non_amos Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:33 pm

As much as we liked Christopher Reeve as Superman, I feel like those films may actually have hurt more than they helped, long-term that is anyway.

We know that Donner tried to film the 1st 2 films simultaneously. When faced with budget concerns & the impending release date of the 1st film, which actually was set back to December 1978 from what was supposed to have been the previous summer, he changed the ending to the 1st film, the whole 'turning back time' deal, but he did complete the 1st film. We know that he was also subsequently fired by duh Salkinds & replaced by Richard Lester. Lester still did a fine job imho but nevertheless the franchise would've been better served if we hadn't had all that turmoil in the film franchise. I mean, look, it led to Superman 3 & 4 respectively. Instead of the likes of Mr. Mxyzptlk, Brainiac, & the real Bizarro for said films, we instead got 'Gus Gorman' & 'what's-their-names' & 'Nuclear Man'. The franchise ultimately FLOPPED, then led to TV adventures such as Superboy, Lois & Clark, Smallville, as well as animated features. These mediums seemed to fare better than the film franchise, which went into 'development hell' as it was called, ultimately resulting in SINGERMAN!

So what's my point with that history? Have you ever been in a job situation where it initially looked very promising, only to find out over a period of time that it sucked major balls?! I have. So the Superman film franchise initially had promise but due to MISMANAGEMENT it failed & ultimately shaped people's opinions no doubt. If you combine this with the 'over-grown boy scout' image that Reeve had to portray, it's no wonder that people doubt Superman's relevance. Younger fans seem to think he's boring & prefer characters like Wolverine, or even Batman. Singer didn't help matters with his 'love letter to Donner' either.

But if you'll notice, when they released Smallville, they deliberately tried a new angle on the mythos, & the show became a hit! Even the DVD sales! Even Lex Luthor is respected on that show, unlike the films. So what gives? Smallville dared to be different, & it worked! Certainly the character of Superman can be presented in a way that appeals to the mass audience?! Smallville does. Singerman? Not so much!

So it's all basically in the delivery of the Superman film. Just like the job that went south, it didn't necessarily have to. It's the way that it's handled, at least in part. I've said this before, but I feel like if they would give Superman the nature of say, either 'Earth-2 Supes' or 'Kingdom Come Supes', then we would have a Superman that you definitely wouldn't want to piss off! The good thing about that though is that it'd no doubt would translate into BOX OFFICE!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Snyder Talks Cavill and Superman's "relevance" Empty Re: Snyder Talks Cavill and Superman's "relevance"

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:36 pm

I don't think it's the "fault" of Superman The Movie in the slightest. I blame it ALL on the exec's at the Bros. Warner, and the directors/"talent" that came after.

Christopher Reeve's Superman films are the shit. He looked like the character stepped-off the comic book page. He had a "warmth" to him that you couldn't help but like. His movies showed that comic book character CAN be made into "serious" films, and not the "BAM, POW, BIFF" fluff it had been stuck in since Adam West. But their time came and went. What happened after was, the suits at WB thought "Well, that 4th film was a stinker, so people just don't WANT to see Superman in the movies anymore". They didn't blame the story, or direction, or the shitty special effects. They blamed THE CHARACTER. So they stopped making movies, and relegated him to television. The funniest part about that? PEOPLE WATCHED.

There was the Superboy tv series that ran for 4+ years. Lois & Clark that came out the very next year after Superboy ended and ran ANOTHER 4 years, then Smallville came around a couple years later. What did they do as far as feature films to "build" on the success the tv shows garnered? They had a couple of shitty scripts written, and committed a bunch of money to a film that NEVER saw the light of day. When they finally DID get going on a new film, what did they do? They ALLOWED it to be attached to a movie series that they believed people didn't have any interest in anymore! What kind of dumbass "logic" is that?? And we all saw the results of this way of thinking, unfortunately.

What I think Snyder, Nolan & Co. are going to do with this film is to try and remind people of WHY they loved Superman in the first place. Show what he can do, what no other superhero CAN do. Make people be in AWE of Superman, but not in a bullshit "Look, he's like JESUS!" way, but in a "Holy shit, did you see THAT!" kind of way. And if they AREN'T going to do this, they SHOULD.

Superman deserves it.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:54 pm

I wouldn't say Reeve played the Boy Scout version of Superman in the movies. While that may be superficially true in STM, the seeds of the decisions he makes in S2 are set up.

In S2 (no matter the cut), Superman gives up his powers so that he and Lois can play Hide The Weenie with each other. He was hardly the flawless specimen of moral perfection and good judgment that people seem to think. And for the record, I think that was a monumental fuck up in terms of writing. Superman wouldn't throw his responsibilities aside just to get laid, least of all with Margot freaking Kidder.

I think it says something about Hollyweird that they can't believe that someone who's just GOOD and, on top of that, they can't believe that anybody else believes that either.

And for the record, Richard Donner deserved to get fired. The idiot called the Salkinds and Spengler, HIS EMPLOYERS, "assholes" to any reporter who would listen while doing press for STM. Just what the hell did he think was going to happen?

But the expand on what Puncher was saying, Superman movies and TV shows have been in continuous production for the last 24 years. Think about that. 24 YEARS. I defy ANYbody to show me another superhero with that kind of record.

1987- Superman IV
1988- Superboy show starts
1989- Ruby-Spears Superman starts and ends
1992- Superboy ends
1993- Lois & Clark starts
1996- Superman: The Animated Series starts
1997- Lois & Clark ends
1999- STAS ends
2000- Justice League starts
2001- Smallville starts-
2005 (I think)- Legion of Super-Heroes starts
2006- Singerman

The way that it's going right now, it'll be 2013 (maybe) before we come to a time when there's not a new Superman movie or TV or show in the works. This kind of track record is impossible unless (A) the character is amazing and (B) the public can't get enough of said character.

There's no need to reinvent anything.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:19 am

thecolorsblend wrote:And for the record, Richard Donner deserved to get fired. The idiot called the Salkinds and Spengler, HIS EMPLOYERS, "assholes" to any reporter who would listen while doing press for STM. Just what the hell did he think was going to happen?

You're condensing a very long and involved shit fight into a glib sentence or two. Donner didn't bad mouth the Salkinds for laughs. Things were in a pretty sorry state by then.

You try and direct a film with Richard Lester looking over your shoulder.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:21 am

thecolorsblend wrote:The way that it's going right now, it'll be 2013 (maybe) before we come to a time when there's not a new Superman movie or TV or show in the works. This kind of track record is impossible unless (A) the character is amazing and (B) the public can't get enough of said character.

There's no need to reinvent anything.

I have a feeling there will be a new Superman animated series that comes out after the reboot does. That very cool 'Superman Classic' got a lot of internet "buzz", and the Bros. I'm sure have picked up on it.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:24 am

Father Finian wrote:You're condensing a very long and involved shit fight into a glib sentence or two. Donner didn't bad mouth the Salkinds for laughs. Things were in a pretty sorry state by then.

Very true. Feel free to "expand" on it though. We got plenty of space....

You try and direct a film with Richard Lester looking over your shoulder.

Worse than that, KNOWING he was put there specifically for what ended-up happening.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:32 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Christopher Reeve's Superman films are the shit. He looked like the character stepped-off the comic book page. He had a "warmth" to him that you couldn't help but like. His movies showed that comic book character CAN be made into "serious" films, and not the "BAM, POW, BIFF" fluff it had been stuck in since Adam West.

Absolutely. And I think it's clear going by some comments that I think you really had to be there to appreciate STM's impact.

Nearly 35 years later that film (and let's not forget it's a product of the 1970's for fucks sake) is STILL the benchmark of a successful super hero film. And after all this time comparisons to the great Reeve are still being drawn.

It's all very clever to be critical of what happened and what's wrong with a film with the benefit of nearly 35 years of hindsight, but never forget Donner and company literally broke the trail. They made the template folks.

Every superhero film that came after owes something to STM, simply because it set the precedent.

Last edited by Father Finian on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:44 am

thecolorsblend wrote:In S2 (no matter the cut), Superman gives up his powers so that he and Lois can play Hide The Weenie with each other. He was hardly the flawless specimen of moral perfection and good judgment that people seem to think. And for the record, I think that was a monumental fuck up in terms of writing. Superman wouldn't throw his responsibilities aside just to get laid, least of all with Margot freaking Kidder.

You'd be surprised what people do when they fall in love. Ever heard the expression "Whoa, he must be c*nt struck!"?

Don't tell me you don't get that sequence. He's Superman, but even he ain't perfect. Yes, it's a mistake, Jor-El says as much in the Donner cut, but it's also a lesson learned the hard way. I thought it was clear in both versions that this was predicted by his Kryptonian parents, and his salvation was assured if things didn't go so great. Which of course they didn't.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:49 am

Father Finian wrote:Absolutely. And I think it's clear going by some comments that I think you really had to be there to appreciate STM's impact.

Nearly 35 years later that film (and let's not forget it's a product of the 1970's for fucks sake) is STILL the benchmark of a successful super hero film. And after all this time comparisons to the great Reeve are still being drawn.

It's all very clever to be critical of what happened and what's wrong with a film with the benefit of nearly 35 years of hindsight, but never forget Donner and company literally broke the trail. They made the template folks.

Every superhero film that came after owes something to STM, simply because it set the precedent.

It does indeed. But what we DON'T need is another person saying "Hey, I'll just try and rip-off what worked and add in some shitty soap-opera BULLSHIT and call it my own!".

Been there, done that.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:01 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Been there, done that.

Amen to that brother!

So far so good on that front. Fingers crossed.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:05 am

Father Finian wrote:Amen to that brother!

So far so good on that front. Fingers crossed.

I have a feeling either Lois, or the female character they created for this film, will be the next cast member announced. I'm not counting the inevitable Costner casting though. I'm pretty sure that's a "done deal".....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:11 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:I have a feeling either Lois, or the female character they created for this film, will be the next cast member announced. I'm not counting the inevitable Costner casting though. I'm pretty sure that's a "done deal".....
Now that is casting I can get behind! I dig on Costner in a big bad way. Guilty until proven innocent, etc, but it feels for all the world like Snyder is taking this shit SERIOUSLY. The final product may well be a fuck up of Pluto Nash proportions, but even if it is it won't be because Snyder dropped the nachos with casting (based on his choices thus far).
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:17 am

I wouldn't be surprised.

Here's an example of the impact of Lane's casting, and perhaps how they might be getting the pre publicity "right" this time....My Mum told me she heard about Lane's casting on the radio when I rang and said hi earlier today.

Just a little old lady down under getting interested in a new Superman movie......

Just one final thing on Donner and the Salkinds. Ever wonder how Donner can talk shit in public and on record about the Salkinds for all this time and never be in fear of legal action? There's only one way you can do that.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:19 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Now that is casting I can get behind! I dig on Costner in a big bad way. Guilty until proven innocent, etc, but it feels for all the world like Snyder is taking this shit SERIOUSLY. The final product may well be a fuck up of Pluto Nash proportions, but even if it is it won't be because Snyder dropped the nachos with casting (based on his choices thus far).

Kevin Costner would be a very good Jonathan Kent, no doubt about it. Just watch 'Field of Dreams' to see him play a dad dealing with things BEYOND what is considered "normal".
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:09 am

Had to kind of speed through this before without really saying very much. But here we go.

Zack Snyder to Sci-Fi Now magazine wrote:He believes a good part of meeting that challenge is the casting of Henry Cavill as the Man of Steel. "He just did a great job with the material that we had him try out, so it was a win-win situation," he notes. "He’s definitely – without saying what our Superman is – it. He knows how to do what we needed him to do."
I haven't read the complete interview but Snyder surely knows how touchy fans are about Superman's purity of character. For him to say half the shit he's said knowing that and then also not going on the defensive to say "but don't worry, we're not planning to fuck this guy up AT ALL; we're just going to modernize his world and surroundings a little"... well, that could be taken a few ways, but one way is that he's confident enough in the material that he knows he'll eventually transcend that.

Zack Snyder to Sci-Fi Now magazine wrote:As to the appeal of taking on the character, Snyder enthuses, "Superman’s the king daddy; he’s the shit. If you can make him work, in the end there’s nobody else in the superhero world. For me, Watchmen was the exact opposite of Superman in that now that I’ve deconstructed the superhero world — I tore the curtain down — maybe I’m the right guy to put it back up."
This quote is very telling. Guilty until proven innocent, blah blah blah, and the main reason for that is because my concern about Superman being reconceptualized as an angsty, drama-ridden crybaby instead of the superhero amongst superheroes.

And indeed Watchmen does everything Snyder says... so for him to realize that Superman ain't the character you pull that kind of stuff with (A) says a lot about Snyder and (B) should give all of us pause for hope. With the Diane Lane thing, he even said something like "Martha is the one who helped instill those values in Superman" blah blah blah. Again, he seems to understand what Superman's worldview is and where it comes from.

Overall, things look like they could be going in the right direction.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Snyder Talks Cavill and Superman's "relevance" Empty RE: Snyder Talks Cavill & Superman's 'relevance'

Post  non_amos Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:29 am

How is it that duh Homopage just is reporting this?! Link:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=9360#comments

Why is it that Eunuch always seems to be a couple of days behind in reporting this stuff?! Isn't he supposed to be running the premier Superman site? So why is it that by the time he reports it that other sites already have multiple pages of comments? Maybe Steve Eunuch needs 'Steve' & his crystal ball? Cool

non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:03 am

haha
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:17 pm

non_amos wrote:How is it that duh Homopage just is reporting this?! Link:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=9360#comments

Why is it that Eunuch always seems to be a couple of days behind in reporting this stuff?! Isn't he supposed to be running the premier Superman site? So why is it that by the time he reports it that other sites already have multiple pages of comments? Maybe Steve Eunuch needs 'Steve' & his crystal ball? Cool

Because he's too busy pimping his wares to pay attention to what is going on in the Superman "universe".

Gotta keep that $$ rollin' in....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:19 am

Snyder Talks Cavill and Superman's "relevance" 189309_10150110268955829_201264465828_6940429_461298_n

Stuff like this is what Snyder needs for his movie. Impossibly tall skyscrapers, zillions of 'em and Superman doing his thing through the city. Call it a touch of the mythic.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:29 am

Ya i hope we get a cool/good visual look of the world snyder wants to make with superman, and same goes with how superman uses his powers and how they look.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:33 am

I started a thread for things like colors' post above....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down