Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Y:The Last Man Fan Film

2 posters

Go down

Y:The Last Man Fan Film Empty Y:The Last Man Fan Film

Post  webhead2006 Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:31 pm

20min fan film based off the Y:The Last Man comic:
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Y:The Last Man Fan Film Empty Re: Y:The Last Man Fan Film

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:12 am

Relocated this thread to the DC TV section because (A) this is a DC property and (B) nobody's talking about a TV show but this would work best as a TV show rather than a film. Anybody who says otherwise doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

As far as Y- The Last Man goes though...

thecolorsblend wrote:Here's another suggestion for a DC adaptation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y:_The_Last_Man

Just finished reading this series. It reminds me of The Walking Dead in some ways in terms of the writing style, the apocalypse angle, etc. In fact, it'd probably play better on a non-traditional station like AMC or what have you. I mean, yeah, the superficial girl power angle may make you think at first this is CW fodder but there's too much meat and, oh yeah, murder, profanity and tits to EVER scrub for network television. You're never going to be able to do it. So why fight the inevitable?

As for why it has to be TV... this story is small and fairly intimate but rich and nuanced. It's an ensemble piece where each of the characters take center stage and really propel the themes and the narrative. There's just too much shit there to really do it justice in a film. A "three hour epic" just isn't what this comic book needs to be. You can do that with big, grandiose superhero stuff to demonstrably good results but Y is something that belongs on TV for all the same reasons that Walking Dead had to be a TV show... and hopefully a better show than that which The Walking Dead has become.

All in all, this is hardly an ideal entry point into DC (esp as this is a Vertigo thing) but at least it gets the fucking DC brand out there. It's not likely to harm the cause and the subject matter alone more or less demands a certain amount of controversy and hype just going into it.

And that's something else. I don't care who you are, there's a little sumthin-sumthin here to piss everybody off. Liberal/conservative/indie, gay/straight/bi/uncertain/neutral, man/woman, adult/child, pro-Israel/pro-"Palestine", pro-choice/pro-abortion, sooner or later (sooner, I think) SOMETHING in this book is going to seriously piss you off. So right away, you're looking at an AMC type of deal.

Anyway. Just my two pennies.

URL- https://supermanfilmwatchdog.forumcanadien.org/t508-new-cw-president-wanting-more-dc-characters-on-the-small-screen
If you ask me, the fan film only demonstrates the above. They took a few shortcuts with the narrative but it's no huge loss. It's easy to pick apart technical stuff (a helicopter, good looking Army uniforms, some pretty good CGI shots, some not so good CGI shots, the goofy fight choreography, etc) but what I took away from it is that the fan film is intended to be a proof of concept for a Y television series. Sort of like a TV series presentation rather than a full on pilot episode.

But as far as casting goes... the dude playing Yorick is the right kind of dork that Yorick needs to be. You could believe that he's literally the only man on the planet... but still somehow can't get laid. I buy it. No, not every line reading is note perfect but he does okay for himself. He's the right type.

On the other hand, part of me wants to cast that chick as 355 right now and have done with it. Wouldn't change a thing there. She's perfect.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down