Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHEN They Do Decide To Reboot Batman Then...

+2
webhead2006
Comicbookfan-V2
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

WHEN They Do Decide To Reboot Batman Then... Empty WHEN They Do Decide To Reboot Batman Then...

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:49 am

How on earth will they be able to top what was already done and about to be done in the film series that Christopher Nolan directed?

I mean lets face it... In regards to the first two "Batman" films ("Batman Begins" & "The Dark Knight") it can't be denied for a fact that they were critically & financially successful and with the third and presumably the final installment well under way we can all expect the film to get a much similar reception.

Which kind of begs the question... How could the WB studio be planning to reboot the film series if the last film becomes successful critically & financially especially with the possibility that we may witness all three of these films achieving this feat?

If the WB studio does decide to go through with rebooting (I personally hope not!) the franchise then I say good luck to them on that especially finding a director who can do a better job!

Last edited by Apologist Puncher on Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Corrected title punctuation, etc.)
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

WHEN They Do Decide To Reboot Batman Then... Empty Re: WHEN They Do Decide To Reboot Batman Then...

Post  webhead2006 Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:57 am

Just cause nolan series had its praise and style. Doesn't mean another different take on the character couldn't be a success. Its all about what is the story they will tell, casting, director on board. And style and the approach they want to take. If you are so closed minded thinking only nolan rrealism/etc.... take is the be all end all for batman you don't know anything.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

WHEN They Do Decide To Reboot Batman Then... Empty Re: WHEN They Do Decide To Reboot Batman Then...

Post  James Stocks Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:03 pm

I hope the reboot will take place at a point where Batman had already been established. Kinda like how Burton's flick approached it, that way they can cut to the chase and give a decent new story.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:54 pm

Well like burton film you don't really need to play the whole origin stuff. All you need is maybe one or two scenes to explain in during film. Ie the shooting of the parents and bruce training/in school. So then ya we can get right into the mix. But that is all about what direction next take goes in.

Last edited by webhead2006 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:58 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:How on earth will they be able to top what was already done and about to be done in the film series that Christopher Nolan directed?

I mean lets face it... In regards to the first two "Batman" films ("Batman Begins" & "The Dark Knight") it can't be denied for a fact that they were critically & financially successful
Actually it can when it comes to Batman Begins. My contention would be that Batman Begins, critically successful though it obviously was, didn't exactly run away with much at the box office. BB did $200 million in the US at the box office... and apparently a pretty similar number on DVD. Those DVD sales are what persuaded WB to go ahead with a sequel.

Obviously that doesn't really apply to TDK.

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:and with the third and presumably the final installment well under way we can all expect the film to get a much similar reception.
A lot of us aren't convinced of that either.

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:Which kind of begs the question... How could the WB studio be planning to reboot the film series if the last film becomes successful critically & financially especially with the possibility that we may witness all three of these films achieving this feat?

If the WB studio does decide to go through with rebooting (I personally hope not!) the franchise then I say good luck to them on that especially finding a director who can do a better job!
Before news about the premise of TDKRises came out, my hunch was that WB would just continue the Nolanverse with different directors. But one way or the other, I guess that's off the table.

I'd like to see Batman evolve into an anthology franchise where big shot filmmakers each direct their version of Batman. Maybe get a unique cast each time out, don't worry too much about continuity from one film to another, etc. Basically it'd be a live action big screen version of Legends of the Dark Knight from the 80's and 90's where you get a new creative crew for the stories each time out.

Nolan's Batman is Batman for a lot of people. There's really no sense in trying to compete with that (which is what a reboot would be doing) so why not skip continuity and shit altogether and make accessible movies that don't require the viewer to have seen anything else in order to follow the immediate movie? I'm convinced that it should at least be attempted.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:54 pm

That would be a fun approach to take for batman colors. Would be an ideal thing to do if they want batman off to himself. If wb doesn't get jl/shared universe film series going. So like you said do a film or two with one director/cast then move off onto the next. Or it would be fun if it was handled like bond be a continuing series where maybe some events/films are connected to each other. But its just a new tale/adventure in each film. Then like bond swap cast when they get to old or decline to return.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:01 pm

Here's something to consider too. Hasn't Nolan more or less made it clear that he's finishing his trilogy in such a manner that no one can pick up with his story?! Which has caused such conjecture as, "Will Batman die?" But certainly duh brothers ain't that stupid? Nevertheless duh Nolan has probably painted duh brothers into a corner. A reboot may be the only way out. Example given: SINGERMAN.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:16 pm

In-between the Nolanverse and 'The Avengers' stands the PERFECT Batman franchise. It's just finding the right director for it that is going to be the hard part.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:50 am

non_amos wrote:Here's something to consider too. Hasn't Nolan more or less made it clear that he's finishing his trilogy in such a manner that no one can pick up with his story?! Which has caused such conjecture as, "Will Batman die?" But certainly duh brothers ain't that stupid?
Dumb as it may be, look at it from their point of view. The guy made a movie that hit 1 billion dollars, it was huger than anybody's wildest dreams and it was pretty much exactly the movie he wanted to make. And now he wants to come back and do another one. Now, common sense would say "ehhhhhh, maybe we shouldn't kill our lead. Let's slow down a little bit here."

But... TDK. A billion fucking dollars.

non_amos wrote:Nevertheless duh Nolan has probably painted duh brothers into a corner. A reboot may be the only way out. Example given: SINGERMAN.
Even if Batman survives TDKRises... what is there to continue on with? Granted, it's not like I've seen the movie but Bruce turned thirty in Batman Begins. TDKRises takes place eight years after TDK. That means he's pushing 40. Which means any actor they hire probably should be about the same age. Is that really anybody's ideal concept for another Batman movie?

On the other hand... how CAN they reboot? (A) The public has already seen a "Bruce becomes Batman" story and (B) they took said story to heart. Asking them to accept something new so soon... there probably aren't very many ways that trick can be done right but it's sure easy to imagine millions of ways it could go wrong.

They can't really reboot but I can't see how they can continue the Nolanverse either. It's a fucked up situation any way you care to slice it.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Having just watched 'Lockout', I think if they reboot Batman anytime soon, or go for a 'Justice League' film, Guy Pearce is a GREAT choice for Bats/Bruce Wayne. He really surprised me how well he came across as an "action hero", and he showed he can develop the proper build.

Plus, the cat can act.

WHEN They Do Decide To Reboot Batman Then... Lockout02_GQ_12Apr12_rex_b_642x390
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:08 pm

I could be down with him as bruce/bats. Wasn't he up for daredevil yrs ago? And speaking of who we like to see. What are everyone chices for director to come on board that can find a good bakance on comicbooky stuff/etc... to make a batman that would be compatiable with a possible shared universe if that is what wb will finally do.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:27 pm

Batman is like Shakespeare, there are ALWAYS going to be new adaptations with new actors filling in the role no matter what. Just because the Nolan films made such an incredible feat with the public doesn't mean they are not allowed let someone else get their own crack at it.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:35 am

Nolan comments on his series, and advice for next bat-director:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=64299
Christopher Nolan Talks Revealingly About His Batman Trilogy And Offers Advice To The Next Batman Director

The esteemed director touches on a number of subjects in this podcast interview with Empire Magazine. Was there ever a 4-hr cut,how far ahead was the trilogy planned and what advice does he have for the next Batman director? Mark Julian - 7/21/2012

[THIS INTERVIEW WAS CONDUCTED PRIOR TO THE AURORA SHOOTING]

Nolan on starting the franchise all the way back in 2003 and if he knew where the franchise was going to go from the start.

NOLAN: I certainly wasn't that forward thinking. I really, only dared think about what Batman Begins was going to be just because I'm a bit superstitious and I didn't want to make any assumptions about what people would think of that film, whether people would want to see my take on the character on a longer term. So, with each of the three films, we really just tried to tell everything we had to say about that character in that film as if it was the one chance we had to deal with the characters.

How does he feel to be at the end of that journey which started back in 2003. Exhausted? Relieved?

NOLAN: Certainly a little tired. I don't know about relieved, I suppose you always feel relieved at different times of a big film, to be finished with a particular part of the process. But then you have the tension.....or the pressure of the next stage, in this case, we're about to put the film out all over the world and see what the fans think. So it's a mixture of a bit of relief, then more pressure, anxiety, then a bit more relief. Once the film has been out for a couple of months and people have really had the chance to tell me what it is, at that point, I'll think its finished.

Nolan on Christian Bale's performance across all three films.

NOLAN: I think Christian, in his performance, is very consistent to maintaining the truth of what's happened to [Bruce Wayne] and where that might lead him, what impulses that's driven him towards. I think he's never strayed far from those original ideas, those original concerns and I think it means that if people do take the time and the trouble to watch those three films together, they'll see a pretty amazing achievement in the performance from Christian Bale.

Why Nolan decided to take the risk of having an 8 year gap between The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises?

NOLAN: It's partly about a physical and emotional toll and it's partly about being true to the end of [The Dark Knight]. What you have at the end of The Dark Knight is an ending that hangs very much on substantial sacrifice to achieve a certain end and for that to have meaning, it has to work in some sense, it has to have been successful. And I didn't want to just abandon that and pick up a new story with a whole new set of ideas. So for me, that lead to the 8 year gap, it lead to the idea of Bruce Wayne, shut away in self-imposed exile because he's hung up his cape and cowl. He's living in a world, at least superficially, that doesn't need Batman but he hasn't moved on, he hasn't moved on as Alfred points out, he hasn't moved on emotionally or in a practical sense.

What Nolan finds most interesting about Batman.

NOLAN: One of things I find the most interesting about Batman is that because he works on the wrong side of the law, because he's a vigilante, you're never really far of the issue of the means and ends. You're never really far from the idea of what is acceptable in terms of fighting crime, in terms of trying to restore the world to some sense of good. And in the first film its very much about corruption about an environment so corrupt that Bruce Wayne couldn't work inside the established structures of the law and he had to move outside it. And that was very important to being able to accept the idea of vigilantism. And I think where we get to, through the next two films, and I think what The Dark Knight Rises really picks up, is the idea of that concept. Working outside the law has become more and more acceptable to Commissioner Gordon. It's become institutionalized in a sense with the lie about Harvey Dent and so the film really picks up with saying 'if we did that in the real world, if that where an underlying lie which prosperity is based on, is that really going to work?'

On the rumors of an initial 4-hr cut?

NOLAN: It's not true at all. [On the internet] you read a lot of crazy things. I don't think I would want to sit through a four hour version of this movie (laughs). As a writer/director, its pretty easy for me to be precise about the running time and length. I think with each film, I told the studio how long the film was going to be 2 years ahead of time and arrived on the money. Its because I can work things out on paper which is more efficient than shooting them and then editing them out. Which is why there's no deleted scenes on the DVD's of the film. With Lee Smith, who is a supremely talented editor who can compress and knows about storytelling in a precise space of time, aided considerably by Hans Zimmerand his score. What I've demanded of Hans over the years is for him to be able to bind together very disparate threads of narrative so that you can tell a crowded story, frankly, almost as a montage even though there's narrative.

On the end of The Dark Knight Rises which feels like an ending but also maybe a beginning?

NOLAN: We shouldn't talk about the end.

Nolan's advice to the person Warner Bros. hires to direct the reboot.

NOLAN: The only advice I would have is that...when I first met with Paul Levitz of DC Comics prior to Batman Begins, he explained to me clearly that Batman, of all superheroes, has thrived on reinterpretation and almost is strengthened by it. And I'm talking about over the years in the comic books but also in the movies. So when the time is right, whenever someone does whatever the next iteration of the character is, they simply need to be true to whatever it is they want to see, to what they believe in, not worry too much about what everyone else is telling them it should be.

This only scratches the surface of the awesome podcast from Empire. Nolan also touches on the work of Frank Miller and referencing Batman: Year One and The Long Halloween. Catwoman is also examined and Nolan extrapolates eloquently about what his feelings about the character are and what Anne Hathaway brought to the role. He also talks about Gary Oldman and sort of infers that the role of Commissioner Gordon was expanded because of his phenomenal talent. Be sure to listen to the audio below to hear the words and context from Nolan himself. [The interview with Nolan begins at the 37-minute mark]

webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:00 am

non_amos wrote:Hasn't Nolan more or less made it clear that he's finishing his trilogy in such a manner that no one can pick up with his story?!
Well, the final movie has spoken. Harry Knowles can say what he likes (Lord knows he will anyway) but I don't see a believable way to bring Bruce back to Gotham City after the events of TDKRises. The implications of that ending are pretty clear. And honestly, I don't particularly care to see a John Blake-oriented Batman (or Robin or Nightwing or whatever the hell he ends up becoming).

So. Reboot it is. If WB is going to do a shared universe, my idea of an anthology franchise of self-contained, unrelated Batman films is never going to happen. Which I'm cool with. It was probably never on the table to begin with anyway. It's an interesting situation. WB will likely want a director who will follow somewhat in Nolan's footsteps vis a vis realism. But if I were a filmmaker, I'd want to move as far the fuck away from the Nolanverse as I could. And that's not the pissed off comic book fan in me talking either; it's just practicality. Who wants to set themselves up for that kind of comparison? Makes more sense to do something totally unrelated to Nolan's continuity and his style.

Somebody (Puncher? Non Amos, if that even is his real name?) suggested Guillermo del Toro. If what we're shooting for is a shared universe... I dunno. I'd think a del Toro movie would be so stylized that it might be hard to believe it's happening in the same universe as MOS. I'm sure it'd be good, don't get me wrong, but it might not be stylistically compatible with the push towards JLA.

Who should take over as Batman? I've said that Armie Hammer is going to play a superhero sooner or later (which, incidentally, was my argument for him playing Superman in MOS). And Lord knows he was this close to being Batman once before. So, heh, wouldn't it be kind of cool if the guy who missed out on being Batman in the past but now gets a second chance co-stars in a World's Finest movie with Cavill...the guy who missed out on being Superman in the past but gotten a second chance?

In fact, that's my argument on how the shared DC universe ought to proceed. They should go much slower toward a JLA film. They'll be accused of ripping off Marvel no matter what so why not do it on their own terms rather than someone else's?

Movie 1- MOS (insert the Flash, Max Lord or someone else)
Movie 2- MOS 2 (insert someone not seen in movie 1)
Movie 3- Batman reboot #1 (insert Wonder Woman)
Movie 4- World's Finest (insert whichever character from movie 1)
Movie 5- Wonder Woman (hey, Whedon can direct this one, eh? Insert Superman cameo)
Movie 6- Trinity (insert Max Lord again)
Movie 7- The Flash (insert Superman cameo)
Movie 8- Batman reboot #2 (insert call to arms for JLA)
Movie 9- JLA
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:23 am

As for the reboot/whatever Batman project, I say don't bother trying to top the Nolan films because they are NOT the be all end all of everything Batman. Just focus on making a solid Batman film. To make it different I'd say go for the route Bruce Timm took but in live action.

thecolorsblend wrote:They should go much slower toward a JLA film. They'll be accused of ripping off Marvel no matter what so why not do it on their own terms rather than someone else's?

It's so ironic too, because JLA is the reason Marvel made AVENGERS in the first place.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:54 am

James Stocks wrote:It's so ironic too, because JLA is the reason Marvel made AVENGERS in the first place.

Thats was the same thing I was thinking! I don't think I need to remind anyone here that a JL movie was in the minds of executives of WB for several years even before "The Avengers" movie was on the mind of Marvel Studios! WB had the idea, Marvel on the other hand toke the idea and made it happen just in reversal from what WB had planned.
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:28 pm

Colors I totally agree we don't need to go nolan realism crap or have a worrld where supers don't operate in as nolan said for his batman. We need to find a good balance of a realistic world characters live in but crazy/zany/comicbooky things happen to them. So we can get my scifi/fantasy/comicbook stuff back in the mix. Now who would be good director I can't really peg anyone off hand. Aas for actor I do like to see haammer land a big hero role. I was again him originally in jlm days due to his age/height compared to jlm superman pick. But he would be a good choice now. Also wouldn't mind joe m from true blood. He still wants to land a big hero film role. And I like to see what he could do.

Like you said what ever dc does now if they arre trying to do a new shared universe deal. It is going o rip on marvel studios. But that is really the only way to get things going. With how long wb has wasted getting dc films off the ground. And I would say it be a mistake to just blow the load and do jl out of the blue with now build up for any characters. That is why solo to team movie approach is best to go. So we have time in solo films to develop each character, and fans know who and what said characters are. So we wouldn't need to waste time in jl film explaining it all and just leave that for villains and film plot.

Also if wb is to leary to do a jl film I would do just a world finiest film first after we have two mos films and a new batman film done. Then if that is good movie on to jl film. Or do solo films wf, and end with jl as final deal.

So for me my schedule would go like:
1. Mos(include nods to other dc heroes and rumors of other supers existing)
2. Flash solo film
3. Mos 2(some more dc cameos)
4. WW solo
5. Batman reboot(superman cameo in film)also this gives a good 5-7 yr break on batman on film
6. WF film or trinity film for bats/supes/ww(set up jl film)
7. Mos 3/flash 2/WW 2 either of them or two of the three in yr
8. Jl film(here we can intro aquaman/martian manhunter and new gl if rr gl is rebooted)

But even with that any way we go its be a long time to we get a wf/trinity/jl film. With how long it takes to develop and shoot a film. Ie normally a 2 yr period. And even if we got ww/flash/wf/trinity films out in same yrs. We still pushing a good 6 or 7 yrs to we get everything all out.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:36 pm

James Stocks wrote:It's so ironic too, because JLA is the reason Marvel made AVENGERS in the first place.
If you mean that the JLA comic inspired the Avengers comic, yeah, that sounds about right. If you mean the film franchise...

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:Thats was the same thing I was thinking! I don't think I need to remind anyone here that a JL movie was in the minds of executives of WB for several years even before "The Avengers" movie was on the mind of Marvel Studios! WB had the idea, Marvel on the other hand toke the idea and made it happen just in reversal from what WB had planned.
... That ain't how I remember it. My understanding was that Marvel had more or less decided to do an Avengers movie before going into pre-production for Iron Man. This would've been I guess around mid/late 2006 to mid 2007. Sure, by then the aborted JLA movie was on the table but I thought the concept of an Avengers movie was developed at least a few months (maybe even a full year) before JLA was.

On the other hand, if you're right... well, it wouldn't be the first time Marvel perfected an idea invented by DC.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:37 pm

This will no doubt be reiterating comments I've made previously but I don't think it can be emphasized enough. I just don't like how duh general public no longer shows any love for BATMAN (1989)!

I'm aware that Tim Burton made 2 really good films & then along came Joel Shumacher who not only derailed the existing franchise, he sunk it! So badly in fact that people, including fans, thought the Batman film franchise was 'one & done', that the final nail had been driven into the coffin. But 8 years later Nolan comes along & 'changes things'. But let's face it, the reason that BATMAN BEGINS didn't do the same level of business as it's sequels no doubt has to do with public perception. Apparently the bad taste of BATMAN & ROBIN lingered. So it was a 'sleeper hit' if you will. It actually performed better than SINGERMAN PEEPS in spite of what duh apologists say. But not really a lot better. But then it exploded on DVD & cable & then it erased the pain of B&R.

THE DARK KNIGHT really changed things. There was Heath Ledger's much hyped portrayal of the Joker & then with his subsequent death, the thing just exploded! Over a billion international for a Batman film? Unprecedented! But herein lies part of the problem relating back to Burton's original film. By this time even the original 1989 film was regarded as a joke by many I believe. Ledger was given the supreme rating for his 'definitive' portrayal while Jack Nicholson was ridiculed for his performance like it was silly & his version was basically a buffoon. I suppose too that Burton's gothic look to the film didn't help matters either while duh Nolan was shoving ultra-realism down everyone's throat! But here's what's funny though. In spite of all of this, Michael Keaton still got voted as the best Batman of all time a while back!

How much an audience forgets in 20+ years. I remember the summer of 1989 very well. I saw any number of films that summer & loved most of them but BATMAN was the only one that not only got a repeat viewing from me but got 8 viewings total! And although I've worn the film out over the years, I still want to see it from time to time. And Batmania was very prevalent that summer! In my area someone even spray-painted the oval Bat symbol over a road sign which even made it into the local newspaper! The first time I saw it in the theater it was packed! The film was really a phenomenon at the time.

Fast forward many years later? Where's the love?! Mad
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:07 pm

non_amos wrote:This will no doubt be reiterating comments I've made previously but I don't think it can be emphasized enough. I just don't like how duh general public no longer shows any love for BATMAN (1989)!
No shit. Grrr...

non_amos wrote:I'm aware that Tim Burton made 2 really good films & then along came Joel Shumacher who not only derailed the existing franchise, he sunk it! So badly in fact that people, including fans, thought the Batman film franchise was 'one & done', that the final nail had been driven into the coffin.
This is one thing about history that's so tricky. Batman Returns made me people a little leery about Batman but it wasn't a total shock given how dark B89 was. Batman Forever? Not universally loved by any stretch but there was at least the perception among soccer moms that Batman was a safe brand again.

It was B&R -- that and that alone -- that sunk the franchise. One movie. The fans hated it, the critics hated it, the public hated it. It was that bad. It was worse! And as you say, the franchise was toast. For years, even online, the notion of doing another Batman movie was a JOKE. It was openly mocked. I don't know if the AICN comments from, say, 1998 or 1999 up through 2003 are still available but if they are and you can find some Batman related stuff in there, you can see it for yourself. A perfect time capsule. Even the fans didn't believe in Batman anymore.

How much things can change...

non_amos wrote:But 8 years later Nolan comes along & 'changes things'. But let's face it, the reason that BATMAN BEGINS didn't do the same level of business as it's sequels no doubt has to do with public perception.
You're just knocking 'em dead with this post, dude. Exactly right. Batman Begins was arguably more successful than Singerman simply because of how much it had to overcome (nevermind the production budget, the promotional budget and all that other shit). Batman Begins didn't face anywhere close to the same level of expectation.

non_amos wrote:Apparently the bad taste of BATMAN & ROBIN lingered. So it was a 'sleeper hit' if you will. It actually performed better than SINGERMAN PEEPS in spite of what duh apologists say. But not really a lot better. But then it exploded on DVD & cable & then it erased the pain of B&R.
If you believe the hype, the DVD sales and TV shit are what sold WB on a sequel. If it'd just been about BB's box office numbers, I don't know that a sequel was necessarily a given. But $200 million in DVD sales? That could make the execs interested in Nolan's ideas for a second film.

Nicholson in particular has been ravaged by this. There was a time when his performance was near universally praised. It was haunting and comedic, disturbing and chuckle-inducing, it was both extremes at the same time. It wasn't just "Jack being Jack". Fuck the people who say otherwise. The guy was the Joker. Period, end of story. Ledger did well for himself, no doubts there, but was that the Joker? Never as I've known him.

Anyway. I could go on forever about this but I gotta get going.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:23 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:

Nicholson in particular has been ravaged by this. There was a time when his performance was near universally praised. It was haunting and comedic, disturbing and chuckle-inducing, it was both extremes at the same time. It wasn't just "Jack being Jack". Fuck the people who say otherwise. The guy was the Joker. Period, end of story. Ledger did well for himself, no doubts there, but was that the Joker? Never as I've known him.

Right on man! Here's the thing about Ledger. He did very well with what he had to work with. But what did he have to work with? A Joker, who as dictated by Nolan & Goyer, was no longer altered by a chemical accident that was directly/indirectly caused by Batman. Instead this version, as per Nolan & Goyer, was basically an anarchist/psychopath/sociopath, etc. Here was a 'gangster' basically who was also the aforementioned things. But he wore 'war paint' (because that's more realistic) to scare people. His 'scars' were 'self-induced'. And Ledger did have some humor. The problem is that it just wasn't on the level of Jack.

Like you said about Jack, he was both at the same time. He'd laugh & wisecrack up a storm while he killed you!

"Here, let me give you a hand!"

"I am not a killer! I am an artist. I luvvvv a good party!"

And probably one of the funniest moments:

"You're a vicious bastard for telling it. I'm glad you're dead!"

Now what do we remember from Ledger? His continually repeating 'how I got these scars' & changing the story every time! So imho Jack captured the true essence of the character. The sad thing is that now he's looked at like Caesar Romero. No
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:25 pm

People in general still like Adam West Batman and Tim Burton Batman just fine. Don't let a bunch of Nolanites (who are a vocal minority in the grand scheme) convince you otherwise.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:48 pm

They should do a smaller-scale film when they reboot. And the 'Arkham Asylum' game is the PERFECT way to go.

1. An ESTABLISHED Batman. No need to go over his origin again.

2. The Joker & Harley Quinn take over the Asylum, and Batman has to infiltrate and restore order. Along the way he has to tangle with set free crazies, and a few of his "rogues gallery".

3. Smaller budget, with far less location shooting.

4. Lots and lots of Batman being Batman. Bruce Wayne needn't show his face, except possibly at the beginning.

5. Guy Pearce for Batman.

I think people would respond to a new take, and not just retreading ground we have now TWICE seen on-screen.

Not every Batman movie needs to have the entire city in peril....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:

Not every Batman movie needs to have the entire city in peril....

Good point there. Why does Nolan always think he's got to destroy Gotham City anyway? And it's about like the Reeve Superman films seemed like they almost always dealt with nuclear weapons, 3 out of 4 anyway, not counting that stinker Singerman. I mean, couldn't they just get off this 'kick' they're on & like you said, do a Batman film where you simply have him fighting the rogues gallery or whatever?

non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:31 pm

I wouldn't mind a already established batman or one who just started up a short time ago. If anything origin stuff could be handled in like 3 scenes, death of parents, some training, and maybe his first mission. Interlaced through film. Or shown at start/opening like tih. Get it out of way and go staright into story/action.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next