Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Director's Confirmed For 'Captain America 2'

5 posters

Go down

Director's Confirmed For 'Captain America 2' Empty Director's Confirmed For 'Captain America 2'

Post  webhead2006 Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:11 pm

Looks like Joe Johnston may not be back as director for Captain America 2. Here is list of possible director's marvel is looking at:
http://www.vulture.com/2012/03/captain-america-sequel-director-community-russo-brothers.html?mid=twitter_vulture
Community Directors Are in Running to Helm the Captain America Sequel

By Claude Brodesser-Akner

Facebook
Twitter
ShareThis Counter
Email

Chris Evans as Captain America

While Captain America had to share director Joss Whedon with five other superheroes in this May's Avengers, Vulture hears that the search is narrowing for someone to helm the patriotic hero's own personal sequel. Insiders tell us that a field of ten directors has been whittled to just three for the follow-up to last summer's hit: George Nolfi, the writer-director of The Adjustment Bureau; F. Gary Gray, best known for directing The Italian Job; and, naturally … Community's Anthony and Joseph Russo?

“Kevin [Feige, Marvel Studios’ president of production] is a ‘vibe guy,'” one source familiar with the talks explains about the unusual decision to include a pair of Emmy-winning comedy guys in the mix. Adds the insider, “He likes to see if he gets along with people before he’ll decide about spending the next two years with them. And apparently, they hit it off with Kevin in the room.” Though the pair have worked mostly in TV, directing other shows such as Happy Endings (which they also executive produce, along with Community) and Arrested Development, it wouldn’t be their first feature. They co-directed both the 2006 Owen Wilson comedy You, Me and Dupree and 2002’s Welcome to Collinwood, neither of which featured much in the way of action and/or shield throwing.

Of course, this is Marvel, where you never know quite what is going to happen: After all, late last year, Feige decided at the last minute to fire Thor 2 director Patty Jenkins, so even the “winner” might find him (them?) self (selves?) brushed away at some later point. But in the meantime, we’re told that additional meetings with all three candidates are being scheduled for early next month, and that a decision could be made as early as mid-April.

Last edited by Apologist Puncher on Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited Thread Title. -ADMIN)
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Director's Confirmed For 'Captain America 2' Empty Re: Director's Confirmed For 'Captain America 2'

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:51 pm

They're not setting a very good precedent with how they handle directors. Top-names aren't going to want to work on their projects if they know it is going to be one-and-replaced.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Director's Confirmed For 'Captain America 2' Empty Re: Director's Confirmed For 'Captain America 2'

Post  webhead2006 Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:54 pm

Ya I don't like that either, now I see two and then done maybe. Since some directors tend to at least stick for one sequel. Then may want to move on. Though there is also some directors that like to do one film and done. In the end I do hope marvel keeps up the good work with finding folks that work right with actors/ and for x character. So it turns out right. I still would have likked joe to come back for cap 2.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:00 pm

webhead2006 wrote:Ya I don't like that either, now I see two and then done maybe. Since some directors tend to at least stick for one sequel. Then may want to move on. Though there is also some directors that like to do one film and done. In the end I do hope marvel keeps up the good work with finding folks that work right with actors/ and for x character. So it turns out right. I still would have likked joe to come back for cap 2.

'Iron Man 1 & 2' / Jon Favreau = One Great Film. One Less Than Spectacular Due To Company Interference = Replaced.

'Thor' / Kenneth Branaugh = One-And-Replaced

'Captain America' / Mark Steven Johnson = One-And-Replaced

Oh yeah?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:20 pm

I was speaking more in general terms. With other studios/directors. But like I said as sucky as one/down deal. If we still end up with solid films and all. I will be enjoying said future films from marvel. They still atleast know what they are doing, and have faith in there characters. Then wb/dc not knowing what to do with dc characters and sitting on there asses there.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:43 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
webhead2006 wrote:Ya I don't like that either, now I see two and then done maybe. Since some directors tend to at least stick for one sequel. Then may want to move on. Though there is also some directors that like to do one film and done. In the end I do hope marvel keeps up the good work with finding folks that work right with actors/ and for x character. So it turns out right. I still would have likked joe to come back for cap 2.

'Iron Man 1 & 2' / Jon Favreau = One Great Film. One Less Than Spectacular Due To Company Interference = Replaced.

'Thor' / Kenneth Branaugh = One-And-Replaced

'Captain America' / Mark Steven Johnson = One-And-Replaced

Oh yeah?
I don't think I want Mark Steven Johnson anywhere near Cap.

To your point, I think it'll work the other way too. I think a lot of directors might not like the idea of having to continue someone else's story. So you lose the guy who started your franchise and then you have to struggle to find a decent filmmaker who doesn't mind doing a part 2.

On top of all that, we fans have to worry yet again about the possibility of a director who looks down his nose at the patriotism and hope a character like Captain America is all about.

Call me crazy but I don't see anybody winning here.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:52 pm

Hey! I'm sure I had a post here right after AP. What happened to it? Question
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:47 pm

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/56251

The Directors Of CAPTAIN AMERICA 2 Are... (Yes, That's Plural)
Published at: Jun 06, 2012 1:15:28 PM CDT

The Kidd here...

It looks as if Marvel Studios has made its choice, and it's the Russo brothers, Anthony and Joe, who are best known for their film work helming YOU, ME & DUPREE and as the executive producers and directors of NBC's COMMUNITY.

The Hollywood Reporter says the Russos outlasted such competition for the gig as George Nolfi and F. Gary Gray, and it sounds like Joe Johnston was never in the discussion to return to the director's chair after his strong effort with the first film.

Hmmm... quite the interesting choice, but then again, when hasn't Marvel made some different choices when it comes to who's directing their films?

-Billy Donnelly
"The Infamous Billy The Kidd"
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:17 pm

Hmm...

Well, as much as I was a bit upset about Johnston not returning, I can understand why it's better to go with someone else. Johnston was perfect for the 1940s pulp feel and having someone else at the helm is necessary to reflect Rogers being in a different time.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:49 am

Great to hear marvel have picked there directors for cap sequel. Not really a watcher to the shows they worrked on. But with marvel so far selecting folks well. I am willing to give these guys a chance. Can't wait to see where they go with cap sequel.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:26 am

Stockslivevan wrote:Hmm...

Well, as much as I was a bit upset about Johnston not returning, I can understand why it's better to go with someone else. Johnston was perfect for the 1940s pulp feel and having someone else at the helm is necessary to reflect Rogers being in a different time.
There was nothing really "pulp" about Cap. If it'd been made in the 40's, some douchebag today would probably call it pro-war propaganda.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:51 am

Just exactly why is Johnston gone? What I gleamed from reading this is that Johnston was never even considered to be coming back. Why exactly is that?! Is this a typical Marvel move like Branagh not coming back for THOR 2? Why does Marvel do things like this?! Suspect
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:10 pm

Well the only reasons could be either he had a falling out with marvel for money/creative reasons. Or maybe he just wanted to do one film and move on to something else. Sure its a crap thing marvel studios has done. And I would like to see a director stay for two or three films and then go. But as long as marvel selects the right folks who understand and get the characters. I will be happy fan.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:43 am

MARVEL's style is getting directors for hire. Johnston was specifically hired because of his work on THE ROCKETEER, a superhero film with a 1930s period setting. Given that CAPTAIN AMERICA was set in the 1940s, he was a natural choice for MARVEL to go with someone who had experience and a flair for a period serial-action type flick. I don't think there was any falling out between Johnston and MARVEL, he probably knew from the get go that he was only going to do one film and that someone else would take over for the next flick to give it a different atmosphere and that actually sounds like smart idea for what's supposed to be a man out of time story.

I rather MARVEL go with the right director for the right film. It's starting to become clear that these films don't belong to the directors, it's really MARVEL/Kevin Feige's show and he's only hiring directors who are right for specific stories and themes.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:01 am

Stockslivevan wrote:I rather MARVEL go with the right director for the right film. It's starting to become clear that these films don't belong to the directors, it's really MARVEL/Kevin Feige's show and he's only hiring directors who are right for specific stories and themes.
If that truly is the logic behind their decisions, I could get onboard with that. I like the idea of eliminating the concept of a director handling a franchise from the cradle to the grave. It's only logical to constantly give the material to a director who can respect and work with what came before while still taking a fresh look at the thing.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:34 am

Exactly. In the long run directors will only be a part of a legacy, not become the legacy. MARVEL seems to be ahead of that and from the looks of it for the better.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down