Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

X-Men: First Class

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

X-Men: First Class Empty X-Men: First Class

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:46 am

Didn't realize there wasn't a topic for this, and the film is shooting as we speak.

Have fun.

-AP
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

X-Men: First Class Empty Re: X-Men: First Class

Post  webhead2006 Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:52 am

i hope they do a good film this time. since the last two films were bad. They got a good director and cast in this.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:47 am

Saw it at midnight on Thursday night with a lot of my friends. It's actually pretty good. Another thread in this forum mentioned a spoiler/cameo appearance. That report is 100% true but you probably know that by now.

Overall, I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting.

Also, it was a pretty packed showing. I think it'll do okay business.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:30 pm

Well its my bday today I may decide to see it to judge it myself. Will see.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:51 pm

Domestic: $55,101,604
Foreign: $64,000,000
Worldwide: $119,101,604

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=xmenfirstclass.htm

Not a bad little opening.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:23 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Domestic: $55,101,604
Foreign: $64,000,000
Worldwide: $119,101,604

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=xmenfirstclass.htm

Not a bad little opening.

You're probably right about that but tell that to the various media sources that liken it to a disappointing opening, including Box Office Mojo:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3179&p=.htm

Rather than post all the movie news I'll just quote the relevant parts:

Weekend Report: 'First Class' Ranks Last Among 'X-Men'
by Brandon Gray
X-Men: First Class
June 6, 2011

Wolverine's absence was felt as X-Men: First Class's attendance hit a franchise low in its debut. The Hangover Part II crashed after a wild opening, while Kung Fu Panda 2 didn't save face.

X-Men: First Class squeaked by with a passable $55.1 million on approximately 6,900 screens at 3,641 locations, and it's looking more like the fanboy fantasia it sounded like when first announced than something that will advance the franchise. Sure, the first X-Men movie opened to $54.5 million, but $55.1 million in 2011 is far less impressive than $54.5 million in 2000. The first X-Men's start was the equivalent of over $79 million adjusted for ticket price inflation. More telling, though, is that First Class marked a sizable step down from X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which made $85.1 million in its opening weekend.

Earlier this summer, a Marvel Comics adaptation of a lesser character, Thor, mustered $65.7 million out of the gate (though attendance was about the same as X-Men: First Class after adjusting for 3D), and First Class drew less than The Incredible Hulk's $55.4 million from June 2008. In fact, <b>First Class</b> had the lowest opening for a major Marvel Comics adaptation since <b>Ghost Rider</b> in early 2007. Some would like to think of Batman Begins as a more appropriate comparison, but even that picture fared relatively better: its first weekend was $48.7 million (after burning off demand with a Wednesday launch) or the equivalent of nearly $60 million adjusted for ticket-price inflation. The debut of another fanboy fantasia, Watchmen, could be a better comparison to First Class: Both were ensemble period pieces and both had exceptionally high results in Box Office Mojo's "when will you see it" polling that didn't translate to correspondingly high grosses.

Distributor 20th Century Fox's exit polling indicated that 58 percent of X-Men: First Class's audience was male and 54 percent was over 25 years old. That means First Class skewed more male than Wolverine (53 percent). The hope now is for First Class to hold well moving forward, but that's unlikely, given the history of the franchise and the genre. The previous X-Men movies all flamed out after their first weekends, including the supposed good ones (X2 and the first X-Men). If First Class holds as well as the first X-Men and X2, that would give it a final gross range of $141 million to $162 million (Wolverine closed with $179.9 million), but, if its pattern hews closer to The Last Stand and Wolverine, it would wind up with $118 million to $128 million.

X-Men: First Class's opening reiterates the danger of rebooting a still prominent franchise without a clean break and the passage of a lot of time (Wolverine was just two years ago). While wanting to restart things after the purported quality issues of Wolverine and X-Men: The Last Stand was understandable, First Class was just a Wolverine-less prequel to the public and couldn't shake the baggage of those last two movies. First Class's marketing, which sent mixed messages by including references to the previous movies, didn't go into the movie's actual story. It merely focused on seeing what the X-Men were like when they were young and the brewing disagreement between Professor X and Magneto, which was already covered in the previous movies. All things considered, then, First Class's $56 million start wasn't too shabby and certainly displayed the continued popularity of the franchise.

As you can tell, they're not exactly in this film's corner with all their 'double-speak': "Sure, it made 55 million but that doesn't mean the same today as it did in 2000, which adjusted for inflation is 79 million." Blah, blah, blah! This is the sort of thing that pisses me off with the Internets! A film comes out, & whether good or bad, it doesn't stand a chance with these 'harbingers of doom'!

Duh Internets, ya gotta love it! tongue
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:40 am

non_amos wrote:As you can tell, they're not exactly in this film's corner with all their 'double-speak': "Sure, it made 55 million but that doesn't mean the same today as it did in 2000, which adjusted for inflation is 79 million." Blah, blah, blah! This is the sort of thing that pisses me off with the Internets! A film comes out, & whether good or bad, it doesn't stand a chance with these 'harbingers of doom'!

Duh Internets, ya gotta love it! tongue
There are a lot of elitists in the media who outright fucking HATE the Internet. When I read bullshit articles like that one, I can sort of understand why.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:58 pm

Ya it had a pretty fair opening I think. Will probably make a profit for fox. I still haven't seen it myself yet. Might check it out tonight if I can.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:04 pm

The hell of it is that I've not seen so much as one negative review. Maybe minor quibbles ("continuity be damned, Wolverine should've been in the movie", "another fight or two would've been welcome", stuff like that) but most people bought into the core concept of the movie.

By way of contrast, a *LOT* of people have criticized various aspects of Iron Man 2, and I really have no credible argument for them.

Point is that even though I'm usually indisposed to play the "critic card" (I usually leave that one to the Apologists), X-Men has a LOT of good word of mouth. As with Thor, I suspect it'll have legs.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:16 am

Here's the difference between a film like 'X-men' and 'THOR':

'X-Men' is made by a big-budget mega-corporation studio in Fox. 'THOR' is made by a smaller, upstart 'Marvel Films' studio.

The expectations are a lot higher in a case like this.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:28 am

Well I decided to go check out the film. Just got home from it. Must say I did enjoy the film alot. Definately liked it alot more then x3. Makeup for mystique, beast, and ahazzal where pretty good. Same goes for the sfx work. I thought they where spot on. Fas and avery where very good as younger erik and xavier. The plot flowed nicely and some good action sequences. Sure continuity is a little messed up here and there. But still a decent flick. It would have been great for it been a full on xmen reboot, where they could have used the real fiirst class of xmen characters. I also enjoyed the nods to erik helmet, how xavier lost ability to walk, cerbero, and nods to future xmen(scott, storm, logan and probably others in the search sequence I don't know). All in all a fun film, did what I wanted enjoy a film for 2 hrs and have no worries. Would give it a 7 out of 10.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:34 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Here's the difference between a film like 'X-men' and 'THOR':

'X-Men' is made by a big-budget mega-corporation studio in Fox. 'THOR' is made by a smaller, upstart 'Marvel Films' studio.

The expectations are a lot higher in a case like this.
Mmm. The expectations are probably higher for X-Men but I'd argue the stakes are higher for Thor for the very reasons you mention. Fox can easily survive if X-Men bombs it.

Could Marvel Studios if Thor tanked it? Well, yeah, it's probably manageable, but they'll have kissed off a lot of money that won't be made up for in other films or other revenue sources.

And frankly, I'd argue that Marvel Studios has earned a lot of respect (among people who pay attention to such things) as a purveyor of well-made films with solid production values. The brand is recognized as anything but a cheapo, fly-by-night operation. There's a lot of legitimacy there. Sure, they'll never be a Fox or WB but (A) they've got cred and (B) Miramax was never quite that big either.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:06 pm

I am with you colors, very happy with marvel studios and have enjoyed the flms from them. With the quality and care taken for each character.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:06 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Mmm. The expectations are probably higher for X-Men but I'd argue the stakes are higher for Thor for the very reasons you mention. Fox can easily survive if X-Men bombs it.

And the articles you guys are referring to were specifically about expectations.

So my point still stands.

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:09 am

Production: $160 million
Domestic: $98,894,000
Foreign: $124,200,000
Worldwide: $223,094,000
Domestic Second Weekend Gross: $25'ish million

URL- http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=xmenfirstclass.htm
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:43 pm

I finally saw X-MEN: FIRST CLASS. I had intended to make it to the theater but was unable to so I went the online route. I lucked up & found a 'DIVX' version that was DVD quality! I'm still trying to finish right after the 2-hour mark as the film 'froze up' but from what I've seen, it wasn't the 'gay-fest' that I thought it'd be. The film was actually pretty good & visually looked good. Story-wise & acting & everything seemed pretty good too. It actually seemed well made. It still hasn't quite made back its' budget domestically but internationally it's grossed over 300 million. Personally I wish they'd let this be a true reboot of sorts, like STAR TREK, & continue to tell stories without 'being beholden' to Bryan Singer! Reboot, I say! Smile

On a non-comics note, I found this article really odd, especially after watching this film:

http://www.rr.com/news/topic/article/rr/9024/45804856/Brazil_boy_seems_to_attract_metal_objects

Brazil boy seems to attract metal objects

Published - Jul 09 2011 01:27PM EST

SAO PAULO — An 11-year-old boy in Brazil's northeastern city of Mossoro is drawing attention with his purportedly magnet-like qualities.

The Globo TV network has broadcast images of Paulo David Amorim demonstrating how forks, knives, scissors, cooking pans, cameras and other metal objects seem drawn to his body and remain stuck on his chest, stomach and back.

The boy's father tells Globo that he decided to test his son after learning of a boy in Croatia with a similar ability. Junior Amorim says he was surprised to find "a fork and knife stuck to his body."

The youth says classmates call him "magnet boy."

Dr. Dix-Sept Rosado Sobrinho tells Globo it is the first time in his 30-year career that he has seen a case like this.

There's also a pic there of the boy. Hit the Twilight Zone music! Talk about getting weirded out! bounce
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:31 am

non_amos wrote:I finally saw X-MEN: FIRST CLASS. I had intended to make it to the theater but was unable to so I went the online route. I lucked up & found a 'DIVX' version that was DVD quality! I'm still trying to finish right after the 2-hour mark as the film 'froze up' but from what I've seen, it wasn't the 'gay-fest' that I thought it'd be.

Just watched it today, no such problem here Wink

The film was actually pretty good & visually looked good. Story-wise & acting & everything seemed pretty good too. It actually seemed well made. It still hasn't quite made back its' budget domestically but internationally it's grossed over 300 million. Personally I wish they'd let this be a true reboot of sorts, like STAR TREK, & continue to tell stories without 'being beholden' to Bryan Singer! Reboot, I say! Smile

Well, with a lot of things that happened, it would be IMPOSSIBLE for it to fit into Singer's previous two. Or did Beast just pick-up a British accent as time went on?

It was much more enjoyable than 'Green Lantern', but well below 'THOR' for me. Decent, didn't bore me, but still had it's issues.

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:48 am

Ya know, it probably helped that the film wasn't directed by Bryan Singer, only produced. This Matthew Vaughn guy really seemed to have his act together here. I had someone tell me recently that this was their favorite X-Men film! That he even turned around & watched it again. Obviously it was to the fans' advantage that Singer didn't direct. I was also originally concerned about this being a 'period piece' but it was good anyway, like that didn't even matter. Here's hoping that the Captain America film will be good too!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:03 am

non_amos wrote:Ya know, it probably helped that the film wasn't directed by Bryan Singer, only produced. This Matthew Vaughn guy really seemed to have his act together here. I had someone tell me recently that this was their favorite X-Men film! That he even turned around & watched it again. Obviously it was to the fans' advantage that Singer didn't direct. I was also originally concerned about this being a 'period piece' but it was good anyway, like that didn't even matter. Here's hoping that the Captain America film will be good too!

It had the same problem the Star Wars prequels had, and in an even SHITTIER example, Green Lantern did too: It made the eventual villain become a villain "just because".

Magneto had been tortured by a MUTANT. His mother was killed by a MUTANT. And yet, he has this uncontrollable mad-on for humanity? Really?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:07 am

Good point. I suppose you could rationalize it on the grounds that all of those things were done under the auspices of a human governmental regime, and thus would've happened irrespective of Sebastian's involvement. But still, the issue you bring up should've been acknowledged. It's nothing that decent writing and character development couldn't have sussed out in one scene.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:16 am

They actually went the complete OPPOSITE too. Remember he kept telling Mystique how beautiful she was? Yeah, that was his way of saying "mutants>humans". But up until the VERY END OF THE MOVIE, humanity had HELPED him more than HARMED him.

Shoddy story-telling at it's worst.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:30 pm

Just saw this funny video on ign about the screwed up timelines for the x films:
http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/09/06/the-fd-up-timeline-of-x-men-first-class
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:04 am

webhead2006 wrote:Just saw this funny video on ign about the screwed up timelines for the x films:
I rather enjoyed the movie... but it's best to think of it as a reboot rather than a prequel.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:16 am

thecolorsblend wrote:
webhead2006 wrote:Just saw this funny video on ign about the screwed up timelines for the x films:
I rather enjoyed the movie... but it's best to think of it as a reboot rather than a prequel.

I would have liked if it was officially a full on reboot for xmen. But ya still for the film itself it was pretty good and i enjoyed it. Cant wait to pick it up on dvd/bluray this week.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:32 pm

So the film is released today. Has any one decided to pick it up yet. I plan to get it later myself. I was just wondering what is all the dvd/bluray verisons for the release.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next