Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Thor: The Dark World' Reviews *SPOILERS*

4 posters

Go down

'Thor: The Dark World' Reviews *SPOILERS* Empty 'Thor: The Dark World' Reviews *SPOILERS*

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:15 pm

I'll probably see it Sunday, so if anyone see's it before then, feel free to post a review here.

Last edited by Apologist Puncher on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

'Thor: The Dark World' Reviews *SPOILERS* Empty Re: 'Thor: The Dark World' Reviews *SPOILERS*

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:36 pm

Seeing it tonight. More to follow.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

'Thor: The Dark World' Reviews *SPOILERS* Empty Re: 'Thor: The Dark World' Reviews *SPOILERS*

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:01 am

The short version is that I dug on the movie. As a first impression, I like The Dark World even better than the first one. This isn't too Avengers-dependent. It's enough to know the big picture of what happened in Avengers. "Loki led an army into war to take Midgard. The Avengers (one of whom is Captain America) came, they saw, they kicked his ass. Thor then took Loki back to Asgard." That's it. That's all you need. Otherwise The Dark World comes off more like a sequel to Thor than Avengers. There's a quick cameo from someone unrelated directly to Thor as a franchise (and it's a crowd pleasing moment, guaranteed) but otherwise that's it. And that suits me fine.

There are two post film scenes. The first is after the section with all the concept art and cast credits. This one has obvious import for future Marvel films. It isn't hard to guess where this is going if you're at all familiar with Marvel. The other scene takes places after the credits, has a crowd pleasing moment and then a humorous moment.

I'm trying to be vague enough to give you the flavor of the film but specific enough to make it worthwhile to see the movie. I enjoyed it and it's obvious that Marvel is continuing their streak of hits. So far the weakest film has been Iron Man 2. The rest have all been excellent.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:10 am

I'd love to see it this weekend but unfortunately I have to work, as usual. Broke until payday too. Sucks! But hopefully I do see it way before Thanksgiving. This vagueness you're giving though, I can't help but wonder who it is. Stan Lee? Mark Ruffalo? Spoilers are welcome.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:26 am

Spoiler:
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:37 am

thecolorsblend wrote:
Spoiler:
Yeah, I see what you mean. Just makes me wanna see it that much more! Smile
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:43 am

Since I'm spoiling stuff...

Spoiler:
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

'Thor: The Dark World' Reviews *SPOILERS* Empty *SPOILERS*

Post  non_amos Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:48 am

Yep, gotta make a way!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:46 pm

I'll actually be seeing it tonight, then again on Sunday. So I'll chime in with my thoughts after I see it.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:28 pm

Saw it on Sunday, and I was VERY impressed. Definitely not perfect, but one of the better Marvel Studios films.

Natalie Portman was not as annoying as she usually is, and actually showed some of her personality in the role. She and Hensworth have good chemistry together, and it shows. Kat Dennings is cute as hell, so her quips and little arc were fine with me. Selvig going coo-coo after having Loki mess with his head TWICE is understandable. People bitching about him seem to forget he had Loki in there not just in 'The Avengers', but in the first 'THOR' too.

Anthony Hopkins was his usual stoic self. And Rene Russo kicked some ass in her scenes. Didn't see what was coming with her either. I'm glad they gave Idris Elba more to do in this one too. Love that guy.

Chris Hemsworth has made Thor my second favorite character behind Superman. The guy IS Thor, and Marvel lucked-out when they signed him. He physically owns the part, has a "regal" quality to him when he is just standing there, and he and Hiddleston play off each other perfectly. You can tell he WANTS his brother back, but deep inside knows that will never happen.

And Hiddleston. What can you really say about the guy? Can you imagine ANYONE ELSE playing Loki now? You can never take your eyes off of him, and he brings something to whatever is happening every time he steps on-screen. You can see in his facial expressions from time to time that he regrets what has transpired, but is too far down his path to turn back and admit he made a mistake. Burned too many bridges.

I loved the look of the film, not as "shiny" as the first 'THOR', but still very regal. It was good to see more of Asgard too, instead of just the palace.

Now the not so good.... The comedy was good for the most part, but I do think they through comedy in a little too soon after some of the more dramatic bits. Didn't give it a real chance to "sink in" before a quip or sight gag. The lack of a REAL military response to the Dark Elves in London was a bit strange. Seeing a fighter jet blasting one of the other realms was cool though. Eccleston's Malekith was pretty one-note, but not really in a bad way. That's really all I can say is a "negative".

In the end, if you haven't seen it, see it. I know I will again.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:Saw it on Sunday, and I was VERY impressed. Definitely not perfect, but one of the better Marvel Studios films.
I'm reluctant to say I like The Dark World more than the first Thor because I feel like I should say both of them are awesome but somehow it feels like the sequel plays better for our familiarity with the characters. Plus, so much of the story revolves around the other realms while the first Thor was more Earth-centric so I'd argue that The Dark World went out of its way to up the ante in terms of the aesthetics of comic book films. So much about The Dark World is stuff utterly foreign (in a visual sense) to comic book films up to this point that part of me wants to give it high marks just for that.

*sigh*

End of the day, I guess it's pointless trying to figure out which one is better. They're both awesome and both (probably) hold up to repeat viewings.

Think about it. All the movies Marvel Studios has released so far and in my opinion only one (Iron Man 2) has been kind of a clunker. Not bad; just not great. The rest of the films have been awesome, and of course the granddaddy is Avengers. Sometimes I take Marvel Studios for granted, which is just about the time they release a new film and remind me of how awesome they are.

The Dark World is a worthy sequel to Thor. How many sequels can say that? Go see The Dark World. It's worth it.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:58 am

I very much enjoyed this installment. I like the first film a lot, and in some ways expected to like this one just as much but found it to be an improvement. The climax was very inventive and fun, with the universes colliding together and such. Two years ago, I never would have guessed I would enjoy a THOR film, but it's becoming my favorite Marvel film series at this point. The characters, dynamics, ect are very rich (little things like Odin being such an elitist in regards to humans, even though he's their protector). It's easy to understand why one would be anxious to watch the next Thor film, given the cliffhanger, but even without it I'm still very pumped to see where things go.
James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down