Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

George Miller Shares His Thoughts On Cancelled Justice League Film

4 posters

Go down

George Miller Shares His Thoughts On Cancelled Justice League Film Empty George Miller Shares His Thoughts On Cancelled Justice League Film

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:17 am

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Wolvie09/news/?a=49520

"You know, John Lennon said, 'Life is what happens when you're making other plans'", Miller said. "Films keep on coming out of my head and I never know what film I'm going to make next. Common and I were going to work on a 'Justice League' movie together. He was cast as Green Lantern and it was almost greenlit when it fell away. I fell in love with the guy and I called him up and said, 'You can't play the Green Lantern, but how about playing a penguin?' That was a whole bunch of complex events. It was the middle of a writers strike. There was Australian rebate legislation that was required to get the film going. It was just a whole complex series of events. It was no one particular's fault that it didn't happen."
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

George Miller Shares His Thoughts On Cancelled Justice League Film Empty Re: George Miller Shares His Thoughts On Cancelled Justice League Film

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:24 am

It's funny, looking back on it, it's weird how that non-movie kind of took on a strange life of its own. When it was first leaked... hell, I won't lie, I was for anything that took Singerman 2- Bartender of Steel off the table. Which is exactly what JLA was designed to do. And heeeeeeey, Welling is supposedly going to be Superman. Yeah, I can somehow live with that. But after that rumor got debunked and the casting stuff started getting leaked... and then Miller started sharing his thoughts on what the film was going to be like... I mean, it was a fucking nightmare. I've got no real beef against Megan Gale (was it Eunuch who said she had "horse teeth" or some shit? I don't remember) but other casting choices... I mean, shit.

It was all supposedly centered on the Tower of Babel storyline... which is why I laughed pretty hard when JLA- Doom was announced as being (wait for it!) a partial adaptation of Tower of Babel! The (unintentional) fulfillment there is just killer...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

George Miller Shares His Thoughts On Cancelled Justice League Film Empty Re: George Miller Shares His Thoughts On Cancelled Justice League Film

Post  non_amos Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:39 am

As for Megan Gale & her 'horse teeth' I do remember seeing that over at duh Homopage but I don't think Eunuch was the one who actually said it but I do remember reading it. It seems like it came from one of duh apologists & to tell you the truth, I'm not sure which one now. I'd like to say TERMINAL but I can't guarantee that it was. But I do remember they were pretty much wholesale against this project. I also recall the credit that 'Steve & Emi' took for their 'insider info'. Wink
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:31 am

non_amos wrote:As for Megan Gale & her 'horse teeth' I do remember seeing that over at duh Homopage but I don't think Eunuch was the one who actually said it but I do remember reading it. It seems like it came from one of duh apologists & to tell you the truth, I'm not sure which one now. I'd like to say TERMINAL but I can't guarantee that it was. But I do remember they were pretty much wholesale against this project. I also recall the credit that 'Steve & Emi' took for their 'insider info'. Wink
The JLA stuff is the one thing that'd give me pause. Because Rusty Trombone Sanchez had real sources. Emijayne seemed to report that stuff independently of him. Seems they were hearing the same things. Maybe not from the same people (although who knows?) but there was way too much smoke going on for there to have been no fire. My hunch is that Welling was eye-balled as Superman mostly because between Singerman and Smallville, probably TPTB at WB were reluctant to foist a third live action Superman onto mass audiences. And since BJ The Bartender was never a candidate for JLA and since leaving Superman out of the movie just isn't an option... who's that leave?

I've always found it interesting that (A) the Welling rumors popped up (B) Steve Eunuch (lacking real contacts of his own in Hollywood, as he was always Bad Hat Harry and Millar Gough Ink/Tollin-Robbins PR bitch) got in touch with Al Gough, who denied everything (which he would whether the story was true or not or if he even knew what was going or not so wtf?!) (C) Welling purportedly was out of the running for whatever reason (D) the Eunuch page was almost immediately off-line for, what, a full day and then (E) the entire movie fell the fuck apart.

I'm reading between a metric fuckton of lines here but my conspiracy theory on all this has been more or less as follows.

JLA (the movie) was for real, WB wanted to make it and they hand-picked Welling to play Superman and foisted him on Miller. It was serious enough that, in the middle of shooting an episode (Gemini from season 7, I believe), Welling up and flew to LA... allegedly for meetings with WB execs. We know for a fact that Welling went to LA during a SV episode production. That came on the heels of the above rumors. Smoke and fire.

From there, Eunuch e-mailed Al Gough about it. I'm surprised the guy even replied to e-mails from that prick by that point given what an Apologist haven he'd transformed his page into but whatever. Gough may very well have not known what was going on with his own fucking star so he placed a few calls of his own and found out that this is all legitimate.

From there, Gough waved Welling's contract around and did all in his power to kill Welling's offer. I suspect the WB execs figured the show would be put on hiatus like every other show, thus freeing Welling up to do JLA. They didn't count on the WGA strike being resolved as (relatively) soon as it was and their offer was predicated upon that. Either way, the contract was still in effect at that point so Gough may very well have had the mojo to shut Welling's chances down.

Foiled -- and likely pissed off -- WB may have sent the Eunuch a temporary cease and desist order, forcing his page off-line. Y'know, just to remind him who his true masters are. They didn't want to lose the "fan access" of his page but there had to be repercussions for his stupidity. You don't let something like that slide. When the muscle (Eunuch) start thinking they're the brains (WB), you need to take a very firm hand or you risk losing control. And not just now, but in the future too. Something had to be done. And it was.

As for Gough, I wouldn't be surprised if someone from WB didn't make the right calls to the right people to force him off the show. This may have been punitive or it may have been a last ditch effort to get Welling onboard with the movie. Here they had a talented, competent lead who'd headlined his own TV show for years by that point and had a pretty loyal fanbase. He was a "name" but Welling wasn't then (or now, for that matter) so famous that he could be a prima donna. All in all, he would've been an attractive candidate... and God knows they needed one after motherfucking Singerman!

I will admit there are problems with the above theory. First off, Rusty Trombone has pretty much destroyed a lot of his own credibility with his shenanigans (whatever legitimate access he did once have). Emijayne may have had real contacts too but her relationship with Steve Archfuckface hasn't done her reputation any favors in my eyes. Second, I don't recall any kosher and legitimate Hollywood trade (Variety, for example) running with the Welling story. That's not saying it didn't happen; only that I don't remember it. Third, and maybe most significant of all, if a WB exec has the power to indirectly fire Gough from SV, surely they could just as easily pull rank, cancel the fucking show and get their leading man that way. Arguably that'd be the path of least resistance. Firing Gough off the series wasn't necessarily the shortest distance between two points. Rumors abound that no less than Bryan Singer himself rescued SV from cancellation courtesy of the movie division back in 2005. If true, that'd lend credence to the idea that the movie division has a lot of mojo. If all they wanted was to get Welling onboard, forcing the termination of SV was logically the easiest way to get there.

Anyway. It's all speculation on my part and completely moot these days, besides. But even so, I've long believed we came closer to seeing Welling play Superman in a film than some people are comfortable admitting. On top of that, we came a hell of a lot closer to seeing Welling play Superman in a movie than we EVER did of seeing second helpings from BJ Blandon.

Feel free to agree or disagree though.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:20 pm

I still think the film probably would have been a mess. There was many things I didn't like about it.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:38 pm

Images from jlm video game that was scrapped as film was:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JakeLester/news/?a=57367
George Miller Shares His Thoughts On Cancelled Justice League Film Justic10
George Miller Shares His Thoughts On Cancelled Justice League Film Justic11
George Miller Shares His Thoughts On Cancelled Justice League Film Justic12
George Miller Shares His Thoughts On Cancelled Justice League Film Justic13
George Miller Shares His Thoughts On Cancelled Justice League Film Justic14
George Miller Shares His Thoughts On Cancelled Justice League Film Justic15
George Miller Shares His Thoughts On Cancelled Justice League Film Justic16
George Miller Shares His Thoughts On Cancelled Justice League Film Justic17
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:02 pm

If that's what the movie would've looked like... oh man...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:13 pm

Oh man bad, oh man maybe good colors?
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:23 pm

GOOD. You know? Cool costumes, seems the Flash's rogues would've made an appearance (which fit some of the plot rumors I remember), on and on. No "reinvention" or "reimagining". Just the characters in their costumes doing their thing.

If MOS ends up being everything I hope it can be, I'll probably not be too upset by this in the end... but still... what might've been...

EDIT- Yeah, a video game is a video game. Whatever, I get that. Allz I'm saying is though is that IF that video game is representative of where the movie was going...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:14 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:GOOD. You know? Cool costumes, seems the Flash's rogues would've made an appearance (which fit some of the plot rumors I remember), on and on. No "reinvention" or "reimagining". Just the characters in their costumes doing their thing.

If MOS ends up being everything I hope it can be, I'll probably not be too upset by this in the end... but still... what might've been...

EDIT- Yeah, a video game is a video game. Whatever, I get that. Allz I'm saying is though is that IF that video game is representative of where the movie was going...

I think this says it all:

George Miller Shares His Thoughts On Cancelled Justice League Film Justic10

It STARTED as a movie tie-in, but by this point had become it's own thing.

For good or ill.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:54 pm

Ok colors, just wanted to see if it was good/bad. But then ap does bring up a point. The game stayed in production a bit longer then film. So it could have morphed into something else. Would still love to see costumes/photos from film some day.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down