Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laurence Fishburne Cast As Perry White in 'Man Of Steel'

+3
non_amos
thecolorsblend
Apologist Puncher
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Laurence Fishburne Cast As Perry White in 'Man Of Steel' Empty Laurence Fishburne Cast As Perry White in 'Man Of Steel'

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:59 pm

http://supermanfilmwatchdogs.blogspot.com/2011/08/laurence-fishburne-is-perry-white-in.html

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Laurence Fishburne Cast As Perry White in 'Man Of Steel' Empty Re: Laurence Fishburne Cast As Perry White in 'Man Of Steel'

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:48 am

Looks like I was right AND wrong, wasn't I?

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Laurence Fishburne Cast As Perry White in 'Man Of Steel' Empty Re: Laurence Fishburne Cast As Perry White in 'Man Of Steel'

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:42 am

Shit, I can't believe I'm the first one replying to this.

Honestly, GREAT casting. Unlike Costner for Jonathan, I can fairly say Fishburne was on my mind for this. Not a first choice. Not even close. But he was on my mind. And let's cut the shit, it's not like he'll do a bad job. Fishburne could sleep through the entire production and still be better than the lukewarm performance we got from Langella in Singerman.

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:43 am

Man, I start the whole "Reputation" thing, and I get no love.

If I were a weaker man, my feelings would be hurt.....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:49 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Looks like I was right AND wrong, wasn't I?

Please elaborate. I know you were on board for Lennix which didn't happen but how were you right? Unless you mean Perry White being black?

I have mixed feelings about this. And no racism intended. I guess I'm just 'old school' when it comes to my comics characters for the most part. If they're white, don't make them black. If they're black, don't make them white. If they're male, don't make them female. Or gay. So on & so forth. I did, however, accept Pete Ross on Smallville even though he was a blonde white guy in the comics, but that was also a secondary character too. Perry White is a little more major. And imagine the uproar if Luke Cage were played in a film by a white dude! You wouldn't hear the end of that one!

I do like Fishburne as an actor. I especially enjoyed THE MATRIX trilogy. Maybe he'll make a believer out of me here? Time will tell. His acting though will certainly be better than what we got out of Frank Langella in Singerman. If Langella had been any more dead, then rigor mortis would've set in!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:53 am

non_amos wrote:

Please elaborate. I know you were on board for Lennix which didn't happen but how were you right? Unless you mean Perry White being black?

Laurence Fishburne Cast As Perry White in 'Man Of Steel' Bingo-Title

Re-read the Lennix thread for clarification.

I have mixed feelings about this. And no racism intended. I guess I'm just 'old school' when it comes to my comics character for the most part. If they're white, don't make them black. If they're black, don't make them white. If they're male, don't make them female. Or gay. So on & so forth. I did, however, accept Pete Ross on Smallville even though he was a blonde white guy in the comics, but that was also a secondary character too. Perry White is a little more major. And imagine the uproar if Luke Cage were played in a film by a white dude! You wouldn't hear the end of that one!

Perry White is a secondary character. If you can accept a black Pete Ross, who played a MAJOR ROLE in 'Smallville', then you are borderline-hypocritical to say it shouldn't be done in 'Man Of Steel'.

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:05 am

non_amos wrote:I have mixed feelings about this. And no racism intended.
I HATE PC thinking so you won't hear any of that shit from me, count on it. It's not a racist thing anyway. The comics show certain people of certain genders and ethnicities doing certain thing. I don't think it's necessarily bad to expect those same things to be reflected in adaptive media.

That said, the simple fact of the matter is that race some influence on one's outlook, ideology, worldview and other things. People can talk about a "colorblind society" all they like but the fact is that one's ethnicity is central to his identity.

I can accept Fishburne in the role. I have no doubt of that. But I definitely understand why some folks would be upset over this.

And yet, I don't understand why someone would upset about Michael Clarke Duncan playing the Kingpin in Daredevil. At least because of his race. If it was because he spent more time chewing scenery than building a character, well, you'll get no argument from me on that one.

I do like Fishburne as an actor. I especially enjoyed THE MATRIX trilogy.
Yep. I think the sequels are pretty underrated. Don't want to derail this thread but the first movie tells a pretty simple black and white/good vs. evil story in a traditional three act structure. The sequels, intentionally or not, undermine basically all of the overly simplistic assumptions people had subconsciously made about the world of the Matrix ("machines bad, humans good", "Morpheus right, everyone else wrong", "Matrix bad, real world good", etc). The minute you tell someone to view the films outside of the parameters of a black and white outlook, they can more easily understand the conflicts and tensions and character arcs (here's one: Morpheus was WRONG about almost everything he said in the first movie).

His acting though will certainly be better than what we got out of Frank Langella in Singerman. If Langella had been any more dead, then rigor mortis would've set in!
No doubts there.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:52 am

I knew this was going to be posted sooner or later when I first heard the news and I definitly have mix feeling towards this! But just like non_amos I too like Fishburne as Morpheus in "The Matrix" film trilogy (I'm a Matrix fan BTW) but having him play as Perry White just make me raise one of my eyebrows! I can understand that their trying to make the film race friendly but they could have added John Henry Irons into the mix if they want to take that route! Why not make Lex Luthor african-american since in TAS people question about Lex's race status in that interpretation!

In past productions they were some african-american actors/actresses that were rumored to be cast for caucasian characters like... Chris Rock being cast as Jimmy Olsen, Beyonce Knowles being cast as Lois Lane and even rumors of Will Smith & Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson being cast Clark Kent/Superman. And yes, these were distant past rumors BTW, no joke!!!

But dispite of this decision and my mix reaction towards it I'll try very hard to open up to the idea and hopefully Fishburne's portrayal will be top-notch that it'll be enough to make people forget that the actor playing Perry White is black!
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:51 am

Just caught the news myself. First great to hear perry been cast finally. Fishburne is a very good actor and a great addition to the cast. Curious to see how he will bring the character to life. Didn't expect the race switch though. Was really hoping for the. Likes of alec baldwin to heck even batman 89 actor to a few others.

On a side note hey ap you where half right about perry woot.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  BHoward Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:43 am

AP, you were definitely on point here. Wrong actor, but right idea. good call.

BHoward
SuperFriend
SuperFriend

User Reputation : 14

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:13 pm

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:I knew this was going to be posted sooner or later when I first heard the news

Actually, I beat WeMakeALotOfShitUp.com and The Singerman HomoPage, AMONG OTHERS, with the news.

Credit where credit is due, bee-otch.

Last edited by Apologist Puncher on Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:15 pm

BHoward wrote:AP, you were definitely on point here. Wrong actor, but right idea. good call.

Laurence Fishburne Cast As Perry White in 'Man Of Steel' Thumbs_up_large
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:31 am

First look at fishburne getting to set:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/celebrity/aboutlastnight/chi-superman-movie-filming-in-willis-tower-20110907,0,1611711.story
Superman movie filming in Willis Tower
Laurence Fishburne Cast As Perry White in 'Man Of Steel' 64566010
Actor Laurence Fishburne walks to a vehicle in a parking lot used for cast and crew members of the new Superman movie "Man of Steel" at the corner of Wacker Drive and Van Buren Street during filming in Chicago. (Chris Sweda, Chicago Tribune / September 7, 2011)

By Luis Gomez

5:40 p.m. CDT, September 7, 2011
It was hard to tell what exactly "Man of Steel" director Zack Snyder filmed in downtown Chicago on Wednesday, but all signs pointed to the shoot taking place at Willis Tower. Literally.

There were bright signs on the street helping guide cast and crew from the trailers in the 311 S. Wacker parking lot to Willis Towers' entrance on South Franklin Street. A security guard with the Superman reboot confirmed that they were in fact filming inside Willis Tower.

According to Crains, the inside of Willis Tower will serve as the Daily Planet (where Superman's alter ego, reporter Clark Kent, works) and the outside of the Chicago Board of Trade building will serve as the newspaper building's exterior.

As for the parking lot, the only thing visible early in the afternoon was a clothing rack with a "School Bus 1992" sign on it. A CBS Chicago cameraman, however, claimed he spotted "Man of Steel" actor Laurence Fishburne pulling into the lot.

Other than that -- and a green truck parked on South Wells Street with a "Serving the Smallville Community Since 1894" sign on it -- it was a mostly quiet shoot. Well, compared to the first day of "Transformers" filming in Chicago.

Twitter @aboutluisgomez
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Bearded Perry White? Interesting.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:36 pm

I would like a clean shaven perry myself. But if he is indeed sporting a beard on film not big deal.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:28 pm

I perfer a shaven Perry White too since the traditionally caucasian one never sported a shorten mustache & beard!
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:40 pm

There is chance the photo snapped of him was him coming to set so a shave could have happened. But like I said if not not to big of a problem.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Rduce Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:07 am

I prefer John Hamilton as my Perry White, but since he’s been dead for 54 years I suppose I’ll have to get used to someone fresh. Of course Jackie Cooper was pretty good as well. Maybe they can pull a Singer and bring someone back from the dead with their CGI bag of tricks…

Rduce

User Reputation : -17

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:17 am

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:I perfer a shaven Perry White too since the traditionally caucasian one never sported a shorten mustache & beard!

I'd take what I imagine Fishburne's performance will be over most of, say, Lane Smith's version. As good as Lane Smith was, he never seemed of a piece with a newspaper of the Planet's caliber. Fishburne, however, was apparently genetically engineered to carry that kind of gravitas.

And if the guy has a beard for the role... well, hey, I've already bought into the concept of a black dude in the role; facial hair isn't a much bigger leap.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:32 am

Comicbookfan-V2 wrote:I perfer a shaven Perry White too since the traditionally caucasian one never sported a shorten mustache & beard!

Which Fishburne clearly isn't playing.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:34 am

thecolorsblend wrote:...

I'd take what I imagine Fishburne's performance will be over most of, say, Lane Smith's version. As good as Lane Smith was, he never seemed of a piece with a newspaper of the Planet's caliber. Fishburne, however, was apparently genetically engineered to carry that kind of gravitas.

Pretty much what he said.

And if the guy has a beard for the role... well, hey, I've already bought into the concept of a black dude in the role; facial hair isn't a much bigger leap.

Yep, not a big deal in the slightest.

I mean, a beard? Really? That's a "problem"?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:16 pm

Besides Fishburne though Russell Crowe was also pictured recently with a beard so will he play Jor-El with a beard? Just saying..... Snyder really seems to be trying to take a different approach with his version of the film mythos. I just hope it pays off!

And it sucks still having to wait for my computer to be repaired! Here's hoping I get it back.....soon! Mad
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:26 pm

non_amos wrote:Besides Fishburne though Russell Crowe was also pictured recently with a beard so will he play Jor-El with a beard? Just saying..... Snyder really seems to be trying to take a different approach with his version of the film mythos. I just hope it pays off!
Part of me wants to give the guy points just for having the balls to (on the surface anyway) break away from the Donner stuff. Doesn't automatically mean the movie will be any good but several of his decisions are laudable for being unique.

And no, I'm not talking about the Superman outfit here... which I refuse to call The Suit unless the trunks get added in post or something.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:59 pm

non_amos wrote:Besides Fishburne though Russell Crowe was also pictured recently with a beard so will he play Jor-El with a beard? Just saying..... Snyder really seems to be trying to take a different approach with his version of the film mythos. I just hope it pays off!

Time will tell....

And it sucks still having to wait for my computer to be repaired! Here's hoping I get it back.....soon! Mad

Yeah, hurry it up.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:57 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:

Yeah, hurry it up.

I'm back! Excited

Needless to say the situation has been a real pain in the neck as it were. I'm obviously currently behind on reading some of these posts, especially the lengthy ones. In a nutshell my hard drive went bad. I didn't have ANYTHING backed up! I've been intending to buy an external hard drive for that purpose as well as for movies & such but hadn't gotten around to it due to finances. This situation made me wish that I had!

The computer shop did get my photos, documents, probably most of my music & all of my DIVX films. However, the dude didn't find my VEOH films, or else he didn't know what to look for! Actually those films are contained all on one Veoh player. He said he searched for films & the DIVX is what they got. Personally I believe the Veoh player is still there on the old drive considering how much of the other stuff they saved. Like I said, he probably didn't realize what it was so I intend to 'slave' the old drive myself & see if I can find it. He told me what to do & I think I can do it but I'm sure it'll be a pain!

Another thing is that I've had to download my security software all over again but now it looks different & doesn't seem to have all of the options so I'm probably gonna have to contact them.....again.....& get that straightened out! And even though they seem to have saved my documents, I'm gonna have to download the Office applications again too which means I have to find what I did with the packet I got when I bought the computer! Also missing is a radio toolbar I had on my browser. I did lose all of my bookmarks! AARRGGHH!!!!! Mad

So in spite of the things they did save it's like 'semi' having to get re-acquainted with my computer! And until I do get this straightened out completely I feel like my attention will be divided from where I really want it to be, like being back to normal as before. You can bet I don't caught with my pants down like this again! Embarassed
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next