Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Green Lantern: The Animated Series' Short Clip

4 posters

Go down

'Green Lantern: The Animated Series' Short Clip Empty 'Green Lantern: The Animated Series' Short Clip

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun May 01, 2011 10:08 pm

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

'Green Lantern: The Animated Series' Short Clip Empty Re: 'Green Lantern: The Animated Series' Short Clip

Post  webhead2006 Mon May 02, 2011 10:11 am

Just saw the clip a little while ago. Nice to finally get a peak at it. Sucks it was so short.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

'Green Lantern: The Animated Series' Short Clip Empty Re: 'Green Lantern: The Animated Series' Short Clip

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:35 pm

New clip at the link:

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/joshw24/news/?a=48239
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:57 pm

18 mins of footage:

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:31 pm

Am I the only one who's completely NOT impressed with this animation style?? I'm not militantly opposed to CG animated shows, mind you, but for crying out loud can't you do something better than color-mapped/gradiented vector graphics gliding around a seemingly 2D plane? That was barely impressive back in the 80's.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:43 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Am I the only one who's completely NOT impressed with this animation style?? I'm not militantly opposed to CG animated shows, mind you, but for crying out loud can't you do something better than color-mapped/gradiented vector graphics gliding around a seemingly 2D plane? That was barely impressive back in the 80's.

Honestly, to me it feels like we are living in the "Steamboat Willie"-era of CGI cartoons.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:54 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:Am I the only one who's completely NOT impressed with this animation style?? I'm not militantly opposed to CG animated shows, mind you, but for crying out loud can't you do something better than color-mapped/gradiented vector graphics gliding around a seemingly 2D plane? That was barely impressive back in the 80's.

Honestly, to me it feels like we are living in the "Steamboat Willie"-era of CGI cartoons.
And there's the rub, there's really no excuse for that nowadays. The first Toy Story came out, what, twenty years ago? I realize technology is constantly growing but it feels like this technology has matured well enough to be a viable medium for storytelling. But if you look at your average CG animated series, they mostly are done on the cheap (or at least LOOK cheap) with clunky movements, minimal textures, etc. Yeah, the coloring often looks badass but the net-effect is like putting chrome on dogshit. Who cares how well it's colored if the overall product looks clunky, boring and cheap?
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:03 am

thecolorsblend wrote:
And there's the rub, there's really no excuse for that nowadays. The first Toy Story came out, what, twenty years ago? I realize technology is constantly growing but it feels like this technology has matured well enough to be a viable medium for storytelling. But if you look at your average CG animated series, they mostly are done on the cheap (or at least LOOK cheap) with clunky movements, minimal textures, etc. Yeah, the coloring often looks badass but the net-effect is like putting chrome on dogshit. Who cares how well it's colored if the overall product looks clunky, boring and cheap?

Which is why I don't watch them.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:23 pm

Well tonight is the 1hr premire of the cg gl show. I am going to watch it. But main reason is more for voice actor for hal then how the show looks.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:47 pm

Well as i said earlier watched the premire. Overall story was good and action was great. Same goes with the voice direction. Also looks to be they are playing lost in space angle for a bit wonder how long it will be for that. So overall ok show but ya still hate the dam direction in animation style. Also curious to see what the whole DC nation thing CN will be doing next year.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:57 am

Just saw the preimere and the few things I going to say is it's not bad although I still wish they done it with more tradtional 2-D animation rather than the use of fullfledge CGI or aleast gone with being cel-shaded in which I definitly would have perfer but since the show is new I'll be given it the benefit of the doubt and get use to the computer generated graphics over time! Also I can't help but notice that the art designs seem similar to everything from Bruce Timm's playbook which gives me the impression that the series takes place in the DCAU but that'll probably remain a mystery aleast for now!

And as for the "DC Nation" thing... I think is suppose to be a new CN timeslot slated for 2012 where DC related shows are broadcast along with other stuff like shorts, comic & media news and interaction with fans! Just another thing DC actually has over Marvel!

Last edited by Comicbookfan-V2 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:39 pm

Well yes it does share some design elements from Timmverse and Timm is working on this series too. But His DCNU stuff is over as much as i loved it and alot of others did too. That universe of series are done. But i agree they should have gone a different cg style or just dont 2d with some 3d/cgi elements in it.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:18 pm

Info on return of green lantern animated series:
http://www.blogofoa.com/2012/01/green-lantern-animated-series-to-debut.html
Green Lantern Animated Series to Debut in March
1/14/2012

Pictures in the article reveal some spoilers about what's to come, so be forewarned about the images that accompany this posting.

Since the Cartoon Network aired the two part special episode in November Green Lantern fans have been wondering when the show would makes its official debut as a part of the networks new DC Nation block of programming. While the show has been touted to have a spring release, a new interview in Animation Magazine narrows that down a little by stating that the show will begin airing the first season of twenty six episodes starting in March of 2012.

The article features an interview with one of the series' producers, Giancarlo Volpe, who worked on other CG animated series like Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The interview features comments from Volpe about the challenges of working on a 3D animated series, such as having to really consider how a character moves in three dimensional space for the CG animation process to work correctly, an obstacle that traditional hand animation doesn't have to overcome.

'Green Lantern: The Animated Series' Short Clip Green-Lantern-The-Animated-Series-post-11
Hal Jordan, Kilowog and friend
While CG animation is new to Warner Brothers animated veteran and Green Lantern Executive Producer Bruce Timm, the studio is relying on the same Taiwan CG studio behind the highly successful Star Wars series to bring the Green Lantern mythology to life. The switch to CG animation was also one of the driving factors in moving the setting into "frontier space" since the cost of the animation made the ability to render large forces of Green and Red Lanterns cost prohibitive. Series' writer Jim Krieg relates drawing inspiration for the writing challenges from an old World War II themed television series.
“My mind went to an old show called Rat Patrol, which is essentially a World War II story told with four guys fighting Rommel in North Africa,” says Krieg. “It’s a war story told with four characters instead of an entire army.”

'Green Lantern: The Animated Series' Short Clip Green-Lantern-The-Animated-Series-post-31
The animated series producers are sharing a lot of information with DC Comics and some concepts and characters are leaking back and forth between the two production teams. Recently the Interceptor, the ship used by Hal and Kilowog to reach frontier space, appeared in the Green Lantern #65 as a part of the "War of the Green Lanterns" storyline. Blue Lantern Saint Walker appeared as one of three statues from the animated series at the New York Comic Con in 2011 and a new image from the show reveals that Queen Aga'po and her Star Sapphires will be appearing during the first season.

Source: Animation Magazine

'Green Lantern: The Animated Series' Short Clip Green-Lantern-The-Animated-Series-post-21
The Interceptor made an early appearance in the Green Lantern comics
'Green Lantern: The Animated Series' Short Clip Green-Lantern-The-Animated-Series-post-41
Queen Aga'po and perhaps Miri represent the Star Sapphires
'Green Lantern: The Animated Series' Short Clip Green-Lantern-The-Animated-Series-post-51
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down