Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Batman: Year One" Animated DVD

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

'Batman: Year One" Animated DVD - Page 2 Empty Re: 'Batman: Year One" Animated DVD

Post  webhead2006 Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:38 am

When is the film out again?
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

'Batman: Year One" Animated DVD - Page 2 Empty Re: 'Batman: Year One" Animated DVD

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:14 pm

First "Official" Clip:

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:42 pm

Nice little clip there, love bats intro/lines.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:24 am

New clip at the link:

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/SuperHeroTooniverse/news/?a=47636

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:21 am

not a bad clip there.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:39 pm

Anyone else see this yet?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:14 pm

Hm. Interesting. The guy who got sent through the brick wall was Pratt, I believe. And, apart from the obvious, one reason Batman punched him through the brick wall was because he'd tried to shoot the cat. In the comics anyway. Here? Batman tosses him through wall... just because.

What's interesting is how the animators have stuck closely to a lot of the layouts and panels Mazuchelli drew. Batman kicking the pillar, for example. Blink and you miss it but it looks like it was pasted almost right out of the comic book. Well done!
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:17 pm

I actually meant the whole movie..... Wink

It was good for what it was, but it never actually "built" to anything.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:21 pm

Do you mean a continuing narrative? If so, yeah, that's sort of my gripe with a lot of the animated movies we've gotten up to now. Sure, they're good as one-and-done stories but that's really all you can say about them. It feels like there's more story out there but we're never going to see it (BY1, GL- First Flight). Or it even goes the other way, where it feels like we've missed a shitload of stuff and too much story and continuity get wedged into one movie because we'll NEVER get the proper context (Red Hood, Death of Superman, etc).

That's one good thing about TDKR. It has an immaculate continuity going for it where you don't need much more than what's in the story itself to understand what's going on. I do wonder how they'll handle the Reagan stuff though.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:27 pm

Actually, I mean "Batman Year One". The entire movie.

Saw it, and though it was well made and the voice actors were all good, the whole movie just seemed to.... go. It didn't build up to anything, no "climax" to the movie.

Still, you should see it if you like Batman and DC's Animated Films.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:24 am

Saw about 20mins of it myself. Good voice work and aanimation. I too agree with what I saw it just goes with no real end/context. But still not that bad of movie. Need to watch the rest of it later.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:49 pm

webhead2006 wrote:Saw about 20mins of it myself. Good voice work and aanimation. I too agree with what I saw it just goes with no real end/context. But still not that bad of movie. Need to watch the rest of it later.

When you watch the whole thing like I have, THEN you can form an opinion on it.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:14 pm

The BY1 facebook page has a clip of Bruce's street fight where, among others, he scraps down with pre-Catwoman Selina. I'd embed the thing here but I can't find a code to do so. Still worth watching if you ask me.

https://www.facebook.com/BatmanYearOne
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:35 pm

It makes sense in the movie WHY they fight. But overall, very little interaction between Batman and Selina Kyle/Catwoman.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:49 pm

Watched it tonight at a friend's house.

Can't knock how close it is to the look and plot of the comics. It's funny how you can get a better sense of the parallels/contrasts between Gordon and Batman when you take the thing into a different medium. But somehow their journeys are brought into a clearer focus when you shift into a different environment. Somehow. Dunno why.

In fact, in relation to that, Catwoman really is an extraneous element in the movie. I've got nothing against her, you understand, but in this movie she mostly serves to detract from the Gordon/Batman stuff. I realize you need additional elements to sustain the narrative. That makes sense. But if you ask me, it might've been a better move to more deeply incorporate her into the Gordon/Batman journeys somehow or else eliminate her entirely from the proceedings. But the verbatim copying of the comics treatment of her only made me realize for the first time how little she has to do with anything in terms of BY1.

I'm not criticizing this thing, I'm just making a point. Just so's we're clear.

Other stuff. Frankly, the voice talents didn't bowl me over. Maybe it's my baggage. I mean, I've been a fan of BY1 ever since I was 9 years old. "Whoaaaa, THIS is how Batman started out! COOOOOOOOOL!" So over the years, I guess I developed a voice in my head for the various characters. No big problem with Gordon, Flass or Barbara or the minor characters. But Batman... I dunno. I guess I somehow envisioned a young Clint Eastwood with a little extra bass going for Batman and a sort of Cary Grant for Bruce Wayne in BY1... even if it meant casting two different actors in each role. I mean, who would know or care about the difference in animation?

But Commissioner Loeb really felt like a swing and a miss. I envisioned him as the guy who's not only been around the block, not only built the block, he PAVED the street it sits on himself when he was younger and paying his dues. As a result, he's amassed all this power and corruption, and the wear and tear of it is finally starting to affect him, his body, his voice, his overall health, etc. I wouldn't want him to sound like a feeble old man... but that's a bit closer than the Ed Asner-lite thing. Not bad but not what I expected either.

Even so, these aren't deal-breakers. It's worth watching.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:09 am

Do you see now why I said it never really "built" to anything?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next