Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod

+8
kivara
gadhero
Father Finian
non_amos
Apologist Puncher
thecolorsblend
webhead2006
superman1938
12 posters

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 10 Empty Re: Michael Shannon Cast As Zod

Post  non_amos Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:09 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:
webhead2006 wrote:He keeps saying good stuff.
Really? I'm not convinced of that when it comes to the "he's just trying to do his job" bit. I guess I don't mind some villains being humanized and "identifiable" but I don't see what's so bad about making Zod just plain evil. When did that become unacceptable? You know?

You might want to point the finger of blame at duh Nolan for that one. Or you could go the route of the modern fanboy 'teen angst' emo crapola. You know, the hero has got to be 'troubled' & 'dark' (think Spidey & Bats) so I guess Superman has to fall in line with that mentality also. But as for the villain? Well, suddenly he's really a 'nice guy' & 'misunderstood'. No, that's Banner/Hulk but not everyone else!

Yeah, you're right. Zod wanted to be a dictator with absolute power on Krypton so why should he change now? Oh, let me guess, Duh Nolan 'insisted' that the script portray Zod with 'humanity', just like they try to do with Judas Iscariot but in reality they're really a devil. So if they show Zod in this light, expect it to be some kind of 'social commentary' about the times we live in now, the Right vs. the Left, etc., ad nauseum.

Puh-leaaazzzeee Snyder! Forget that crap & just give us a GOOD SUPERMAN FILM! Shocked
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:12 pm

non_amos wrote:Yeah, you're right. Zod wanted to be a dictator with absolute power on Krypton so why should he change now? Oh, let me guess, Duh Nolan 'insisted' that the script portray Zod with 'humanity', just like they try to do with Judas Iscariot but in reality they're really a devil. So if they show Zod in this light, expect it to be some kind of 'social commentary' about the times we live in now, the Right vs. the Left, etc., ad nauseum.

Puh-leaaazzzeee Snyder! Forget that crap & just give us a GOOD SUPERMAN FILM! Shocked
Actually, that aspect wouldn't have occurred to me... but there is a heavy military element of the film so hmm. Makes you wonder.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:34 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:Really? I'm not convinced of that when it comes to the "he's just trying to do his job" bit. I guess I don't mind some villains being humanized and "identifiable" but I don't see what's so bad about making Zod just plain evil. When did that become unacceptable? You know?

He WAS though:

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 10 Zod

So having Zod be a militarily-focused villain, who believes in what he is doing and will stop at nothing to accomplish his goal, is not going to be a bad thing.

In fact, I have a feeling that Faora is going to end up being the sadistic, evil one of the bunch.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:55 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:

In fact, I have a feeling that Faora is going to end up being the sadistic, evil one of the bunch.

So they're gonna have her 'hating men' like they did with Ursa in the Reeve films? But didn't Faora also practice some 'Kryptonian Kung-Fu' on Superman in the comics? I'm not so sure I want to see that or not. My reasoning is that I want this film to be taken seriously, maybe even 'Oscar' serious & not be bashed by duh media for being too 'comic booky'. So yeah, she'll obviously fight but just what that involves is the question. I do have a concern though that the pics we've seen of her so far look a little too much like Ursa.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:01 pm

Well hopefully he will turn out to be the ruthless evil type.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:06 pm

non_amos wrote:So they're gonna have her 'hating men' like they did with Ursa in the Reeve films?

I didn't say that.

I think she will just be a crazy, violent woman who only cares about herself and General Zod.

But didn't Faora also practice some 'Kryptonian Kung-Fu' on Superman in the comics? I'm not so sure I want to see that or not. My reasoning is that I want this film to be taken seriously, maybe even 'Oscar' serious & not be bashed by duh media for being too 'comic booky'. So yeah, she'll obviously fight but just what that involves is the question. I do have a concern though that the pics we've seen of her so far look a little too much like Ursa.

Oh, you can count on her fighting Superman at some point. In fact, those "spy pics" make that pretty obvious:
Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 10 Superman%20Zod%20Faora%20in%20Man%20of%20Steel
Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 10 Superman-and-Faora-on-Man-of-Steel-set

And actually, like I said before, I think she looks more like Ty-Zor than Ursa:
Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 10 Ursa
Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 10 Tyzor

In fact, looking at the one-sided collar on BOTH suits, I really am beginning to think they used the exact same costume design for both Ty-Zor AND Faora....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Comicbookfan-V2 Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:37 pm

Apologist Puncher wrote:Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 10 Tyzor
In fact, looking at the one-sided collar on BOTH suits, I really am beginning to think they used the exact same costume design for both Ty-Zor AND Faora....

I have to admit I do see alot of similarities between one of those set pics of Antje Traue as Faora and the concept pic of Ty-Zor from the propose but unproduced "Superman: Flyby" film! I'm guessing Snyder decided to borrow some concepts from "Superman: Flyby" since the film has now been scraped! Who knew that was coming?
Comicbookfan-V2
Comicbookfan-V2

User Reputation : -249

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:30 am

Wouldnt be the first time a film maker has done that.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:32 am

webhead2006 wrote:Wouldnt be the first time a film maker has done that.
Name another.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:39 am

thecolorsblend wrote:
webhead2006 wrote:Wouldnt be the first time a film maker has done that.
Name another.

I'll name one. How about that giant spider that was scrapped from one of the Superman abortions but ended up in WILD WILD WEST starring Will Smith? I haven't actually watched that film but that's what Kevin Smith said in his 'Evening With Kevin Smith' DVD. And wasn't Jon Peters involved in that production which I believe was the point that Kevin Smith was making?
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:43 am

I was referring to recycling a costume design from an unrealized movie into a finished one.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:58 am

thecolorsblend wrote:I was referring to recycling a costume design from an unrealized movie into a finished one.

Oh. Oy.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:29 pm

This kind of flew under-the-radar:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=11034

Michael Shannon has told The Independent that playing the role of Zod in the up-coming "Man of Steel" movie is quite daunting, while once again admitting to not being a fan of comic books, finding them hard to follow.

For starters, he's got to measure up to a titanic Terence Stamp, who played the villain in Superman II. "I find that pretty intimidating, honestly. I think he pretty much nailed it. My girlfriend [actress Kate Arrington], had it on. She was watching it out of curiosity. And I saw it and said: 'You've got to turn it off. I can't watch that. I'm not worthy!'"

Shannon knows he must deal with the difficulty of playing such a fan favourite – not easy when, apparently, you're not much of a comic-book aficionado. I ask if he's got a big stack of them by his bedside right now, and he practically blanches. "Oh, no, Jesus!" he yelps. "I can't read comic books. They don't make any sense to me. I find they're very hard to follow. I'm never sure which panel to look at, and then I just get confused."
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:24 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:This kind of flew under-the-radar:

http://www.supermanhomepage.com/news.php?readmore=11034

Michael Shannon has told The Independent that playing the role of Zod in the up-coming "Man of Steel" movie is quite daunting, while once again admitting to not being a fan of comic books, finding them hard to follow.

For starters, he's got to measure up to a titanic Terence Stamp, who played the villain in Superman II. "I find that pretty intimidating, honestly. I think he pretty much nailed it. My girlfriend [actress Kate Arrington], had it on. She was watching it out of curiosity. And I saw it and said: 'You've got to turn it off. I can't watch that. I'm not worthy!'"

Shannon knows he must deal with the difficulty of playing such a fan favourite – not easy when, apparently, you're not much of a comic-book aficionado. I ask if he's got a big stack of them by his bedside right now, and he practically blanches. "Oh, no, Jesus!" he yelps. "I can't read comic books. They don't make any sense to me. I find they're very hard to follow. I'm never sure which panel to look at, and then I just get confused."
Leave it to some of the douchebags on the Eunuch page to intentionally misinterpret that. Comics have a visual language all their own and some people find it hard to read them. This is one reason why I think comics should mostly stick with Watchmen-style 6 or 9 panel grid layouts unless there's a justifiable reason to deviate once in a while. What makes for a cool looking page layout may not make the most sense from a storytelling reference point.

But that's all bullshit anyway. Point is that it's not like Shannon was slamming on comics as a form. Mind you, even if he was (and he wasn't), the Apologists don't read comics either so they arguably have no right to complain. Assholes.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:01 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Leave it to some of the douchebags on the Eunuch page to intentionally misinterpret that. Comics have a visual language all their own and some people find it hard to read them. This is one reason why I think comics should mostly stick with Watchmen-style 6 or 9 panel grid layouts unless there's a justifiable reason to deviate once in a while. What makes for a cool looking page layout may not make the most sense from a storytelling reference point.

If comics were as accessible as some think, they wouldn't, to this day, be considered so "juvenile". Whether they are or aren't isn't up to me to say. For me, they are over-priced for something that takes me 5 minutes to read. To Shannon, they confuse him.

Big deal.

But that's all bullshit anyway. Point is that it's not like Shannon was slamming on comics as a form. Mind you, even if he was (and he wasn't), the Apologists don't read comics either so they arguably have no right to complain. Assholes.

As wonderful, helpful, time-consuming and fun as the interwebs can be, they have ALSO given voice to morons who need not be heard. And when we live in a generation of "Everything is about ME, and EVERYBODY needs to hear about it!", this isn't a good thing.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:56 am

Yea that doesn't look at all that he was slamming things. He just wants to take thhe character in his way and do something that isn't just a copy.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:37 pm

If anyone is in doubt of Michael Shannon's acting ability, and if you are-seek help, try and catch 'Take Shelter':

The guy is brilliant in it.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  James Stocks Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:25 pm

Would have liked to see how Jude Law played it as he was offered Zod before Singer (wasn't that also the story idea with Lex as corporate mogul becoming the peoples hero and branding Supes as a traitor for leaving?).

I'm open to Michael Shannon. It'll be a bit distracting though because he looks like the henchman Jaws from the James Bond flicks. Laughing

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 10 22910

James Stocks
James Stocks
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 47

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:25 pm

Interestingly, as I understand it, this 'Jaws' guy was the one they originally were gonna use in THE INCREDIBLE HULK TV series before Lou Feriggno got the part. It sounds like the dude was already in makeup & some little boy on the set cried, "That's not the Hulk!", which caused the producers to have 2nd thoughts & they ended up with Feriggno. Actually that was the better decision in that instance.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:49 pm

James Stocks wrote:Would have liked to see how Jude Law played it as he was offered Zod before Singer (wasn't that also the story idea with Lex as corporate mogul becoming the peoples hero and branding Supes as a traitor for leaving?).

I'm open to Michael Shannon. It'll be a bit distracting though because he looks like the henchman Jaws from the James Bond flicks. Laughing

Ho-kay.....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:53 pm

non_amos wrote:Interestingly, as I understand it, this 'Jaws' guy was the one they originally were gonna use in THE INCREDIBLE HULK TV series before Lou Feriggno got the part. It sounds like the dude was already in makeup & some little boy on the set cried, "That's not the Hulk!", which caused the producers to have 2nd thoughts & they ended up with Feriggno. Actually that was the better decision in that instance.

Actually, it went first to Richard Kiel, and depending on who you ask, he either turned it down or got turned down. THEN they Wanted Arnold, and again depending on who you ask, he either turned it down to do 'Hercules In New York', or was turned down because he wasn't tall enough. Finally, it went to "I sued my brother and father for using the Ferrigno name" Lou.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alf Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:58 am

James Stocks wrote:Would have liked to see how Jude Law played it as he was offered Zod before Singer (wasn't that also the story idea with Lex as corporate mogul becoming the peoples hero and branding Supes as a traitor for leaving?).

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod - Page 10 6ruv
Alf
Alf
Dean Cain
Dean Cain

User Reputation : 35

http://www.manofsteel.com

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:13 am

I can see the point James Stocks is making about Shannon looking like the Jaws dude. No, he doesn't look exactly like him, no, but I think there's something about the facial structure or something that gives one that impression. But I could probably throw Willem Defoe in there too as far as being someone with 'that look' but then again, not really. But Defoe's name did come to mind while typing this. I guess it's like you seeing someone that favors someone you actually know but it's not them & neither are they a clone. But that's how it strikes you.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:46 am

The guy is:

A. An EXTREMELY talented actor.

B. Very menacing looking.

C. An EXTREMELY talented actor.

D. Can play stoic very well, as evidenced in 'Boardwalk Empire'. Which is perfect for someone playing a "General".

E. An EXTREMELY talented actor.

Nothing else matters.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:05 am

Hey! Did you mention also that's he's an EXTREMELY TALENTED ACTOR? Wink

I'm by no means familiar with Shannon's work but I do hope he puts his own brand on General Zod. Nevertheless I can admire the reverence that he gives to Terrance Stamp in the same role, almost acting unworthy to play the part himself due to his admiration of what Stamp brought to the table. But I imagine when they yell 'ACTION' that he's just that.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next