Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod

+8
kivara
gadhero
Father Finian
non_amos
Apologist Puncher
thecolorsblend
webhead2006
superman1938
12 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod Empty Michael Shannon Cast As Zod

Post  superman1938 Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:55 pm

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/164877-kneel-before-zod-michael-shannon-cast-in-man-of-steel

Well with Zod as the villain again, I hope the story will be original
superman1938
superman1938
SuperFriend
SuperFriend

User Reputation : 21

Back to top Go down

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod Empty Re: Michael Shannon Cast As Zod

Post  webhead2006 Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:26 pm

Well even with zod they can do original stuff. But nice to see a villain cast.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:04 pm

Puncher called this one (ie, the villain, not so much the casting) too. Pretty good track record. Let's hope his track record sticks when it comes The Suit.

I've not seen any of Shannon's work but I applaud this casting on the grounds that an American is playing a Kryptonian... a bit of a rarity on the big screen.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:10 pm

Also, I hope Snyder has the good sense to drop the "kneel before Zod" shit.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:48 pm

Ya I haven't see much if any of shannon work. But ap has said good stuff about himm. Plus with this its another oscar nom on the cast.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:48 pm

Well whadyaknow? Spot-on again. Except for the "Lex" part, but I also was thinking he could be Zod.

On 'Boardwalk Empire', he plays a Prohibition enforcing federal agent, and can be VERY intense. Even without saying a single word. He is VERY talented, and I think he is going to bring a whole new version of General Zod to life.

So far so good, just bring on the suit pics so we can REALLY know what we're in for.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:53 pm

A little taste of Michael Shannon.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:43 pm

When someone says something stupid in life, a little bit of the ol' pimp salad can bring them right back in line. Shannon sold the moment, you have to give him that.

Bring on Zod.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Michael Shannon Cast As Zod Empty RE: Michael Shannon Cast As Zod

Post  non_amos Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:53 pm

I just saw this right before I came here, over at MSN:

http://movies.msn.com/paralleluniverse/superman-casts-nemesis/story/feature/?gt1=28140

Don't worry about going there though. It's just the same info like at SHH & duh Homopage. This kinda surprised me because even though we had the Shannon rumors, we also had the Viggo Mortenson rumors, whom the latter seemed to be a better choice for a villain, at least to me but to be fair, I know NOTHING of Shannon's work. However, I already hear duh apologists whining but really, why Zod?! Snyder is already being accused of 'not being able to come up with anything original', per comments on the SingerHomoHype link provided. It seems like duh Homopage may be divided. The casting I don't think is the problem. It's using Zod.....again. Are we gonna have Non & Ursa too? And I thought the reboot wasn't gonna have any connection to the Reeve films, so why Zod.....again?! Will we end up having the Williams' theme also? Will Shannon 'ape' Terrance Stamp?! Honestly, will we once again have 'kneel before Zod'?! And how will Zod come to Earth? Will he & company be released from the Phantom Zone DUE TO A NUCLEAR EXPLOSION IN SPACE?!

Personally I think these are FAIR QUESTIONS. A reboot is a reboot! Don't say 'reboot' & then deliver SUPERMAN 2 REDUX. Sure , the FX will be superior but what about the story? And besides, ain't this story an approach that Goyer came up with that even impressed Nolan so much that even he got involved with it?! So just what is this 'original' story then? Inquiring minds want to know! I think it's fair to say that LUTHOR will also be in the film by default since he's part of the supporting cast, so to speak, but are we not ever gonna have freakin' BRAINIAC?!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:02 pm

Let me guess, the sheep are bleating about Zod now?

It was okay when they thought Singer was going to use the character though......Thank f*ck we didn't get Jude Law or some other soft looking guy playing him

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:05 pm

Father Finian wrote:Let me guess, the sheep are bleating about Zod now?

It was okay when they thought Singer was going to use the character though......Thank f*ck we didn't get Jude Law or some other soft looking guy playing him

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/164877-kneel-before-zod-michael-shannon-cast-in-man-of-steel

edacac
April 10, 2011
Votes: +35
ZOD? wow!! those guys know how to put fresh ideas on the table. NOT

That's just a sample.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:15 pm

Sure using zod again may suck a bit. But really if they do things like thorw another villain into the mix like brainiac/teasing him. And have a different story it should be fine. I don't see snyder pulling let's reharsh donner superman like singer did.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:23 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:When someone says something stupid in life, a little bit of the ol' pimp salad can bring them right back in line. Shannon sold the moment, you have to give him that.

Bring on Zod.

Trust me on this, that is only a TASTE of what Michael Shannon is all about.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:26 pm

non_amos wrote:I just saw this right before I came here, over at MSN:

http://movies.msn.com/paralleluniverse/superman-casts-nemesis/story/feature/?gt1=28140

Don't worry about going there though. It's just the same info like at SHH & duh Homopage. This kinda surprised me because even though we had the Shannon rumors, we also had the Viggo Mortenson rumors, whom the latter seemed to be a better choice for a villain, at least to me but to be fair, I know NOTHING of Shannon's work. However, I already hear duh apologists whining but really, why Zod?! Snyder is already being accused of 'not being able to come up with anything original', per comments on the SingerHomoHype link provided. It seems like duh Homopage may be divided. The casting I don't think is the problem. It's using Zod.....again. Are we gonna have Non & Ursa too? And I thought the reboot wasn't gonna have any connection to the Reeve films, so why Zod.....again?! Will we end up having the Williams' theme also? Will Shannon 'ape' Terrance Stamp?! Honestly, will we once again have 'kneel before Zod'?! And how will Zod come to Earth? Will he & company be released from the Phantom Zone DUE TO A NUCLEAR EXPLOSION IN SPACE?!

Personally I think these are FAIR QUESTIONS. A reboot is a reboot! Don't say 'reboot' & then deliver SUPERMAN 2 REDUX. Sure , the FX will be superior but what about the story? And besides, ain't this story an approach that Goyer came up with that even impressed Nolan so much that even he got involved with it?! So just what is this 'original' story then? Inquiring minds want to know! I think it's fair to say that LUTHOR will also be in the film by default since he's part of the supporting cast, so to speak, but are we not ever gonna have freakin' BRAINIAC?!

These are "fair questions" if you want to FIND a "reason" to hate on the reboot. Nothing more.

Are any of these same asshole's complaining about an Al Ghul being used AGAIN in a Batman film? And BANE too? You know Bane was used in 1997, Zod in 1978. So which one is more apt for the bitching and complaining about a lack of "creativity"?? But hey, don't let FACTS stop people from acting like whiny little bitches.

Zod is perfectly fine with me.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:28 pm

webhead2006 wrote:Sure using zod again may suck a bit. But really if they do things like thorw another villain into the mix like brainiac/teasing him. And have a different story it should be fine. I don't see snyder pulling let's reharsh donner superman like singer did.

Why does it "suck a bit"? Have you read the script? Do you know what is going to happen?

Don't say something "sucks" because you wanted something and didn't get it. Say it "sucks" AFTER you have seen it, like a reasonable person should.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:27 pm

I'm not saying that I want to hate on the reboot. I actually want the reboot. I'm just concerned with where they're going with this. Do something totally original, fine. However, please no 'the planet Houston'. Also no 'Lex Lu-thorr, ruler of Australia'. Please no 'General, would you care to step outside?' But I am fine with original. As you know, Smallville did Zod differently & it was actually popular, kinda like Luthor is actually popular on SV vs. the films.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:52 pm

non_amos wrote:I'm not saying that I want to hate on the reboot. I actually want the reboot. I'm just concerned with where they're going with this. Do something totally original, fine. However, please no 'the planet Houston'. Also no 'Lex Lu-thorr, ruler of Australia'. Please no 'General, would you care to step outside?' But I am fine with original. As you know, Smallville did Zod differently & it was actually popular, kinda like Luthor is actually popular on SV vs. the films.

Those would be valid concerns if we heard ANYTHING that made us think they were possible.

We haven't.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:53 pm

Roger Ebert approves:

http://twitter.com/ebertchicago/status/57270948675584003#

Yes! Michael Shannon, a great actor, will play the villain Zod in the new Superman movie. http://bit.ly/eDVMUs
15 minutes ago via SocialOomph

ebertchicago
Roger Ebert
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  gadhero Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:27 pm

Nice

I can't wait to see a showdown between Superman and Zod with modern effects. From what I've read Michael Shannon is a great actor and looks badass, which is how Zod should be.

Btw anyone noticed that the apologists were fine with skinny pretty boy Jude Law as Zod just because Singer said he wanted to go 'Wrath of Khan'? But they're complaining about this guy.

gadhero
Kirk Alyn
Kirk Alyn

User Reputation : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:06 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:
webhead2006 wrote:Sure using zod again may suck a bit. But really if they do things like thorw another villain into the mix like brainiac/teasing him. And have a different story it should be fine. I don't see snyder pulling let's reharsh donner superman like singer did.

Why does it "suck a bit"? Have you read the script? Do you know what is going to happen?

Don't say something "sucks" because you wanted something and didn't get it. Say it "sucks" AFTER you have seen it, like a reasonable person should.

Absolutely. The fact that it's not Singer's vision of Zod is reassuring.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:08 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Roger Ebert approves:

http://twitter.com/ebertchicago/status/57270948675584003#

Yes! Michael Shannon, a great actor, will play the villain Zod in the new Superman movie. http://bit.ly/eDVMUs
15 minutes ago via SocialOomph

ebertchicago
Roger Ebert

That's good enough for me. Ebert was about the first respected critic who saw Singerman for what it was.....

Ebert was on the same page as us re Singerman from day one.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:11 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:
non_amos wrote:I'm not saying that I want to hate on the reboot. I actually want the reboot. I'm just concerned with where they're going with this. Do something totally original, fine. However, please no 'the planet Houston'. Also no 'Lex Lu-thorr, ruler of Australia'. Please no 'General, would you care to step outside?' But I am fine with original. As you know, Smallville did Zod differently & it was actually popular, kinda like Luthor is actually popular on SV vs. the films.

Those would be valid concerns if we heard ANYTHING that made us think they were possible.

We haven't.

Yeah. The fact that Snyder has said repeatedly this will not be any sort of continuation of what's gone before should've already watered down those concerns.

I wouldn't buy into any scaremongering about this film yet. The sheep making the biggest noise about this are just pissed that Singer and his boys have been kicked to the curb.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 am

Father Finian wrote:Absolutely. The fact that it's not Singer's vision of Zod is reassuring.

It's really quite appalling to see some of the reactions to this news.

I SERIOUSLY over-estimated people's intelligence level on this planet.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:25 am

Father Finian wrote:Yeah. The fact that Snyder has said repeatedly this will not be any sort of continuation of what's gone before should've already watered down those concerns.

These same people whining about re-using a character from a film that came out 31 years ago are "championing" Bane being used in 'The Dark Knight Rises'. Bane was used in a film 14 years ago.

Double-standard? You tell me...

I wouldn't buy into any scaremongering about this film yet. The sheep making the biggest noise about this are just pissed that Singer and his boys have been kicked to the curb.

It really makes me laugh. This ISN'T a Singerman, where we actually SAW AND HEARD things about the film when we developed "bad feelings". All we have heard are NAMES, and Oscar-caliber NAMES at that.

Most of these sad fucks will "forget" their bitching NOW, but deep inside they will be
Michael Shannon Cast As Zod EatingCrow
Once 'Man of Steel' comes out.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:24 am

This needs to be a sort of catch-all post.

non_amos wrote:This kinda surprised me because even though we had the Shannon rumors, we also had the Viggo Mortenson rumors, whom the latter seemed to be a better choice for a villain,
I kind of wonder that Viggo and Shannon were both up for the role and, for whatever reason, it went to Shannon.

non_amos wrote:at least to me but to be fair, I know NOTHING of Shannon's work. However, I already hear duh apologists whining but really, why Zod?! Snyder is already being accused of 'not being able to come up with anything original', per comments on the SingerHomoHype link provided. It seems like duh Homopage may be divided. The casting I don't think is the problem. It's using Zod.....again. Are we gonna have Non & Ursa too? And I thought the reboot wasn't gonna have any connection to the Reeve films, so why Zod.....again?! Will we end up having the Williams' theme also? Will Shannon 'ape' Terrance Stamp?! Honestly, will we once again have 'kneel before Zod'?! And how will Zod come to Earth? Will he & company be released from the Phantom Zone DUE TO A NUCLEAR EXPLOSION IN SPACE?!

Here's the deal on that count. People can say what they want about ignoring all previous movies but CONTEXT MATTERS. You can't do another "Superman vs. Lex" storyline on the big screen. At least not right now. Singer wasted that for everybody for a long time.

But at the same right, you need to deliver a supervillain capable of trading shots with Superman. A villain audiences have SOME kind of familiarity with is helpful in that.

What else is on the table besides Zod?

Something history seems to have forgotten is that Richard Donner didn't create Zod. And really, all he did was put different names to Non and Ursa. Those basic archetypes come directly from the comics. Hell, Zod debuted in a SUPERBOY comic (take THAT, SV haters!).

It's still not completely unfair to question the validity of using Zod as the villain but (A) I don't want to hear that shit from Apologists of all people and (B) the one thing NOBODY can argue is that it's totally a retread given that Zod is a comics character.

Plus, 10:1 we'll get an ACTUAL fist fight between Superman and Zod with Snyder directing this thing; no more of that sissy-mary kicking stuff from Superman II.

Father Finian wrote:Let me guess, the sheep are bleating about Zod now?

Seriously. Good to know HE at least realized he wasn't supervillain material.

non_amos wrote:http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/164877-kneel-before-zod-michael-shannon-cast-in-man-of-steel

edacac
April 10, 2011
Votes: +35
ZOD? wow!! those guys know how to put fresh ideas on the table. NOT
Is it 1992 again and someone just forgot to tell me?

That's just a sample.

Apologist Puncher wrote:Trust me on this, that is only a TASTE of what Michael Shannon is all about.
Good to know. But then, you don't get the universal acclaim he does unless you've got the chops to back it up, unlike a certain BARTENDER I could mention...

Apologist Puncher wrote:Zod is perfectly fine with me.
Well, for the sake of argument, let's assume for a minute that he hadn't been okay with you or for any of the rest of us.

We at least have a leg to stand on with that complaint. One major gripe about Singerman was how much of a retread/sequel/remake it was. We were ALWAYS at liberty to hate on Zod being in this movie.

The Apologists? Hey, those motherfuckers lapped up Singerman and asked for seconds so they don't have the right to bitch and moan NOW about "repeats". I have a huge "fuck you" flag for all the Apologist sheep toeing THAT line because I don't want to hear it!

gadhero wrote:Nice

I can't wait to see a showdown between Superman and Zod with modern effects. From what I've read Michael Shannon is a great actor and looks badass, which is how Zod should be.

Btw anyone noticed that the apologists were fine with skinny pretty boy Jude Law as Zod just because Singer said he wanted to go 'Wrath of Khan'? But they're complaining about this guy.
TRUST me, that ISN'T lost on a LOT of us.

Apologist Puncher wrote:It really makes me laugh. This ISN'T a Singerman, where we actually SAW AND HEARD things about the film when we developed "bad feelings". All we have heard are NAMES, and Oscar-caliber NAMES at that.
You know what? I'm glad you mentioned that. Because, whether this is the "right" thread for such a thing or not, I'm always up for a little bit of Singerman bashing...

I've heard nothing, literally NOTHING, but PRAISE for Shannon and his body of work.

Now, you compare that to, oh, I dunno, Kevin Spacey. When was the last time he was in a cool film? American Beauty? Since then, you'd had K-PAX, Pay It Forward and a lot of other movies that dripped with mental retardation.

You can take the comparisons as far down the line as you want.

Cavill's announcement? Maybe people were excited, maybe they weren't but NOBODY could criticize the guy as a performer.

How's that compare to BJ Routh? Not 24 hours after he was announced, I heard that the motherfucker got fired from a SOAP OPERA for BAD ACTING. Of course, all references to THAT little incident were scrubbed from his official web page but, in the end, Singerman told the tale on THAT one.

You tell me which cast inspires more confidence.

Hell, at this point, the only two weak links in Snyder's Superman are The Suit (for the moment, at least) and David Goyer (Batman fucking Begins, yeesh!). We'll get answers about The Suit sooner rather than later and even IF Goyer's script shit, it's within Snyder's purview to demand improvements/rewrites.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next