Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

10.21-22, Finale (spoilers)

+5
lib
non_amos
Father Finian
webhead2006
Apologist Puncher
9 posters

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next

Go down

10.21-22, Finale (spoilers) - Page 3 Empty Re: 10.21-22, Finale (spoilers)

Post  lib Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:12 pm

um... ok. so the fact that clark find this kryptonian artifact and goes to a parallel universe really progressed this season's overall theme?

and your argument that that's they way they've been doing it over the past several seasons is probably one of the reasons viewership interest has steadily declined. sometimes its like watching paint dry.

sometimes you wait 40 some odd minutes of fluff for a 2 minute nugget of gold at the end.

lib
lib
SuperFriend
SuperFriend

User Reputation : 0

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:52 pm

Well the episode was more an one off deal, jusr like I am sure a few others will do.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:24 pm

lib wrote:um... ok. so the fact that clark find this kryptonian artifact and goes to a parallel universe really progressed this season's overall theme?
I'm not arguing that it has. I'm also not arguing that it should. It's a 22 episode season. Not every single thing needs to advance the season plot.

What I will say is that I've got a theory or two on how this showdown with Darkseid and his minions will play out based on Legends and what we've seen this season and I think a lot of episodes this season are not going to be as off-topic as everyone thinks they are now.

and your argument that that's they way they've been doing it over the past several seasons is probably one of the reasons viewership interest has steadily declined.
That's funny, up until season 9 it was still the highest rated show on the network. The only reason it changed even then was because of the switchover to Friday nights. But even there, the numbers are growing. Luthor did 2.79 mill while Patriot was at 2.60. The show holds it's own in the 18-49 demographic so... wtf are you talking about?

sometimes its like watching paint dry.
No one's forcing you to watch.

I've covered your points, now you cover mine.

thecolorsblend wrote:01- Define "filler" for me.
02- How is what the show is doing this season any different from seasons past?
03- For that matter, how is it different from what similarly structured and styled shows do?
04- Don't you think it's a bit premature to make that type of evaluation given that we don't know what the conclusion of this thing will be?

Have at it.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  lib Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:06 am

1. filler - A thing put in a space or container to fill it. There's your definition.

2. you got me there. I guess that's why the show has lost steady viewership since it started 10 years ago. and claiming that its the highest viewed show on the cw doesn't say much. When Smallville first started it averaged between 5 to 6 million viewers. Now it barely hits 3 million. So if that's a smashing success to you....you must set the bar pretty low with what you consider to be success in your life. Hitting the key demographics are not the be all and end all of television.

3. you got me there too. every show has subplots. but it seems that Smallville allows the subplots to take over the show which makes the progression of the season's "theme" move really slow. and you're right. that's the format the show has taken the past several seasons, hence the loss in viewership.

4. No I don't think its premature. I think its about time Clark becomes Superman. I think it should've happened on the 200th episode. At this rate, it doesn't seem that Clark will become Superman until he's 40.

lib
lib
SuperFriend
SuperFriend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:19 am

Sure it has lost ratings throufh the yrs. But you got to remember all shows lose viewerships over many hrs peroid. Secondly the show has been on two nextworks. Wb had more viewers then the cw has. Then third the show has moved across two different times and 4 days kn the week. Each day/time and competition all factors into ratings. As for superman clark has pretty much been supernan since season eight. Just not in the offical tights or dubbed superman.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  lib Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:17 pm

I'm just saying that I'm hoping the last shot of this season isn't Welling in tights. It's an awfully long commitment for a 10 second shot of Welling in the Superman costume. I would like to see some of the episodes show how the world reacts to Clark becoming Superman.... and not just the "blur".

Anyone remember how the Sopranos ended....and how people were not satisfied with the ending?

I just wouldn't mind seeing him deal with the super villain of the season as Superman and not just the "blur" or Clark Kent. Show more of a transition this last season of him actually becoming Superman and actually dealing with becoming Superman mid-season, instead of what is seemingly going to be a 10 second money shot in the last episode.

And to say that Clark has been Superman since season eight....actually without that iconic suit he's not Superman. So far he's been "Neo from the Matrix" Clark and "Red Motorcycle Jacket" with blue T-shirt Clark.

Hell, by your arguement, the character Micheal Chiklis plays on No Ordinary Family can be called Superman.
lib
lib
SuperFriend
SuperFriend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:27 pm

I do hope clark is in costume for most of the finale and I do hope he is dubbed superman within the last few episodes/in last episode by mid way. I do think they would do more then just a few seconds of clark in the costume.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  lib Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:44 pm

btw....good call on the legends theory
lib
lib
SuperFriend
SuperFriend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:00 pm

lib wrote:1. filler - A thing put in a space or container to fill it. There's your definition.
Oh, very good. Excellent. So I assume you have a problem with standalone episodes. In what Bizarro world exactly is every single episode of an ongoing TV series supposed to advance the season or series arcs?

More broadly, the standalone episodes are what I come back to when I just want to watch an episode of the show without having to remember 90 bazillion things related to a given season arc. They're also convenient jumping-on points for new viewers.

2. you got me there. I guess that's why the show has lost steady viewership since it started 10 years ago. and claiming that its the highest viewed show on the cw doesn't say much. When Smallville first started it averaged between 5 to 6 million viewers. Now it barely hits 3 million. So if that's a smashing success to you....you must set the bar pretty low with what you consider to be success in your life. Hitting the key demographics are not the be all and end all of television.
I'm starting to smell an Apologist. Here's the deal: the show's been moved to Friday nights. Conventional wisdom has it that such a move is pretty much a death sentence for any TV series. And yet, SV's numbers, while lower, are still very strong considering the time slot and, as if that wasn't enough, they're CLIMBING.

As to diminishing ratings, that's the nature of most shows. However big they start off, the ratings eventually taper off.

The fact that the show is in the tenth season on a lousy night and is still hitting about half of its premiere numbers is actually a quite impressive feat. And the 3 million figure, I believe, is a Nielsen figure; it doesn't account for DVR viewing, online viewing, etc. Given, again, that it's a Friday night show, I'd wager the actual number of views is significantly higher than 3 mill.

In many ways, the show has defied a lot of expectations and conventional wisdom... and the only logical explanation for that is because it's a show that people enjoy watching.

3. you got me there too. every show has subplots. but it seems that Smallville allows the subplots to take over the show which makes the progression of the season's "theme" move really slow. and you're right. that's the format the show has taken the past several seasons, hence the loss in viewership.
Given that you don't know how those subplots will eventually relate to the finale, I think you're speaking out of turn. Again, the arc this season seems to be heavily influenced by DC's Legends crossover from the 80's. Too many similarities going on there to chalk up to coincidence. The resolution of that storyline, incidentally, hits on several themes already introduced this season. When all is said and done, I suspect many nay-sayers are going to have to re-evaluate what the "filler" episodes actually were this season.

4. No I don't think its premature. I think its about time Clark becomes Superman. I think it should've happened on the 200th episode. At this rate, it doesn't seem that Clark will become Superman until he's 40.
No flights/no tights; the credo since Day One. If he doesn't become Superman until the last shot of the last episode, the one thing nobody will ever be able to say is that we fans were lied to.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  lib Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:32 pm

First off... I don't even know what an apologist is. What does that even mean? What're you like 6? Everytime someone voices some kind of contrary opinion I read, "he must be an apologist", or "I smell apologist". I'm just a guy who wants to finally see Superman become Superman....that's it.

Second...you'd think i insulted your mother or something. Tone it down a bit son... Don't get your underwear in a knot because I'm getting a little frustrated with the show. I am allowed that right or am I not?

No flights / no tights may have been the gimmick when the show first started....but for you to think that people aren't tired with that gimmick to me seems like you've been living in a cave or something.

lib
lib
SuperFriend
SuperFriend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:39 pm

I agree with most of what colors said. As for the flight/tights rule yes it was a big deal for many reasons in early yrs. Not so much now. But they have there reasons for not in the costume or full tume flying. Sure I wish he was in both now. But I am not fretting over it now. I am just watxhing to see where things will go. And who knows what is going on in the last few episodes we got no news/spoilers/information yet. Since its still awhile from that. For all we know things could be done in last few episodes and all that.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:20 pm

lib wrote:Second...you'd think i insulted your mother or something. Tone it down a bit son... Don't get your underwear in a knot because I'm getting a little frustrated with the show. I am allowed that right or am I not?
What I see is you making a bunch of hysterical, long-debunked complaints about the show. I've explained why the ratings are nothing to sneeze at and how the structure and storytelling of SV this season doesn't greatly differ either from SV in previous seasons or, for that matter, from other television shows of a similar type. If you're not into the show, that's great. I don't have a problem with that but instead of whining and crying about stuff that isn't going to change, why not just stop watching?

No flights / no tights may have been the gimmick when the show first started....but for you to think that people aren't tired with that gimmick to me seems like you've been living in a cave or something.
What "people"? The commenters on the Younis page? The same ones who bitch and moan about everything? I would point out that these same folks were bitching that Clark hadn't become Superman back in season 3. As a mod, I can tell you that we don't believe in censoring opinions around here... but we also don't let stupid opinions slip by without comment either. Sorry but not all opinions are equal; some are just flat out fucking worthless, and there are no finer examples of that than just about anything you see in Apologist havens like the Younis page.

If SV's numbers are anything to go by (ratings, DVD sales, ten fucking seasons on TV), I'd say "most people" enjoy the show... and I've got a hell of a lot more objective data on my side to back that up than any of the whiners do.

Look, I won't argue that SV is perfect. Nobody would. But (A) it's pretty damn good and (B) it's progress over the years is a damn sight better in both concept and execution than most of the idiotic ideas I've seen bantered around on how to "improve" the show.

Your move.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  lib Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:19 pm

Hysterical? Really? Wow....um yeah. Ok... I think my original comment was maybe the first or second comment I posted on this site. The basic fact that I hope that Clark turns into Superman before the FINALE of the LAST season makes me hysterical and a whiner? Seriously? Again....what are you like 6?

I don't believe that Clark should have turned into Superman by season three....But I think somewhere in the last three seasons would have been pretty good. I would have even settled for mid way through this season.

And who qualified you to decide what opinions are stupid and which ones are valid? Can I enroll in that course? I didn't realize I needed to be certified to have an opinion.

You're like the mule in that scene on Family Guy Where the guy is arguing on the couch with the mule. Seriously...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh33bGAxl58

lib
lib
SuperFriend
SuperFriend

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:58 am

lib wrote:Is it just me....or is this season starting to feel like a whole bunch of filler until the finale.

I think it seems that way because of the added anticipation of what's to come.

I've been working my way through the season 9 Bluray boxset, and perhaps (understandably) this season's budget is being structured to maximise the finale.

Have to say though that moving the Clark & Lois storyline along so fast, you could hardly accuse them of dragging their feet there!

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:06 am

lib wrote:I guess that's why the show has lost steady viewership since it started 10 years ago. and claiming that its the highest viewed show on the cw doesn't say much.

How about the longest running live action Superman then?

Jeez, the fact that we're still discussing it after a decade is remarkable in television. I'm sure Colors will put you right on this too, but the show is STILL in the top ten downloads from itunes every week. It sells very well, etc etc etc.

I know it's frustrating with the "almost Superman" scenario, especially now. I've been wanting to see Welling do it for years too, but not until the show is wrapping up. That's the whole point of the show, in case you missed it, the long road to becoming Superman. Personally, I prefer this to a Superboy scenario, thanks.

That's the problem with your argument right there. Had they shot their load years ago and made him Superman, I don't think the show would still be here now.

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:23 am

Father Finian wrote:How about the longest running live action Superman then?
If I've got my facts right, it'll end up being one of the longest running adaptations in general, second only to the radio show.

Jeez, the fact that we're still discussing it after a decade is remarkable in television. I'm sure Colors will put you right on this too, but the show is STILL in the top ten downloads from itunes every week. It sells very well, etc etc etc.
I actually forgot that. I think I referred to "online viewing" but I meant streaming the show from some page or another. As I don't care much about iTunes, that would never have occurred to me.

Personally, I prefer this to a Superboy scenario, thanks.
In some ways, I agree with that. In certain key ways, I'd go so far as to say that SV is what the pre-Superman canon should be.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:51 pm

Yes, the Superboy thing looks a bit "dated" now.

Did you catch the latest jibe at "Smallville" over at the Homopage now?

Apparently now it's perfectly acceptable to use the name "Tom Smelling".......I suppose being that Welling is heterosexual you can say whatever you f*cking want about him. Just don't make fun of the queers.

The guy directing "Green Lantern" spoke about dropping the Clark Kent cameo in the film, unless Tom Welling has a couple of hours free.......

Huh?

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:03 pm

Haha yea.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Father Finian wrote:Did you catch the latest jibe at "Smallville" over at the Homopage now?

Apparently now it's perfectly acceptable to use the name "Tom Smelling".......
There's only so much of them and their bullshit that I can stomach. I used to think "well, you don't have to read the comments; just stick to the headlines". But then Younis started in on his pro-Singerman/pro-Apologist editorializations in the coverage so even that wasn't a safe haven anymore. Guess that would've been around mid-2007 or so. Ever since then, at best it is a "hold your nose while you read" page.

I suppose being that Welling is heterosexual you can say whatever you f*cking want about him. Just don't make fun of the queers.
I can understand that actually. I mean, everybody knows Tom Welling is a fucking loser. Just think about it objectively for a second, okay? He's only headlined his own show for ten years, he's been in three films (all of which were profitable), he's become an exec producer of his TV show, he's directed several very well-received episodes, now he's the exec producer/co-creator of a new TV show of his own, he's earned millions from SV, will earn millions more in sundry residuals and he's married to a hottie. I'm sorry but if that doesn't spell "washed up douchebag loser", I don't know what does. You have to admit, Welling probably wakes up every morning wishing he'd starred in clunker, shit-awful movies like Blandon BJ has.

Geeze, Tom Welling, what a hoser...

The guy directing "Green Lantern" spoke about dropping the Clark Kent cameo in the film, unless Tom Welling has a couple of hours free.......

Huh?
Oh to have been a fly on the wall when some Apologist prick read that one...

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:08 pm

It is funny some times to go to comments pages there to see all the crap folks are saying.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:02 am

webhead2006 wrote:It is funny some times to go to comments pages there to see all the crap folks are saying.

Oh yes. "Know thine enemy".....that, or it's always worth a laugh!

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  Father Finian Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:23 am

Having just read the garbage re Singerman's supposed sequel, I had to laugh at the pic of Singerman himself.

I was worrying about Smallville using the Singerman outfit. I'm thinking more so now that it must be just a prop. There is just no way on earth Welling would fit into it!

To be honest, you'd have to be more confident of the Smallville people getting the costume right. They can only improve on it after Singerman

Father Finian
George Reeves
George Reeves

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:53 pm

Got some smallville related news. First episode 12 will air jan 28th. Second the cw is doing a video contest for fans us residents only to appear in episode 13. Sounds like a cool contest.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:04 pm

After watching "Icarus" last night, I have a feeling I know how the suit is going to come into play, and why.

Hawkman talked a lot about the "Darkness" over-taking people, and how it took something to drive it out of people. That it took something "special" in order to do so. And that leads me to believe Clark donning the suit will be what "inspires" people to drive this "Darkness" out of them. Which means we will see Welling in his suit for more than just a few minutes. No "shirt rip" to end the final episode, no flying shot of him. Welling in suit fighting Darkseid.

Watch the episode again, and pay attention to that part and you'll see.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:50 pm

I agree there ap. Totally can't do a simple shirt rip or fly by to end the show. It would feel anti climate. Hopefully your idea will happen.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next