Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Script problems and delays?

4 posters

Go down

Script problems and delays? Empty Script problems and delays?

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:42 pm

Did Archnumbnuts fall bass-ackwards into being right? Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

NY Mag wrote:Warner Bros. Offers 300 Sequel to Guy Ritchie

* 2/15/11 at 6:45 PM

Warner Bros. Offers 300 Sequel to Guy Ritchie

If you’re like most of Vulture readers, you don’t need us to tell you that Xerxes the Great was the fourth Zoroastrian king of the Achamenid Empire. Du-uh. But what you do need your Vulture editors to tell you is that Warner Bros. has offered Xerxes — the sequel to Zach Snyder’s epic 300 — to none other than Sherlock Holmes director Guy Ritchie.

Like 300 before it, Xerxes is based on one of Frank Miller’s graphic novels and had been developed by Snyder, who'd planned to direct his own script. So what gives?

One theory is that Warner Bros. needs Snyder to bear down on Superman stat: Insiders say the closely-guarded script for Superman suffers from major third-act problems, and the studio faces a ticking clock on that franchise, legally speaking; if a Superman film isn’t in production by 2013, Warner Bros. loses the rights to the entire Superman franchise and would have to re-license it from its original creators — the estates of Detective Comics writers Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster — at great if not prohibitive expense.

But there’s another theory: At a recent Warner Bros.—conducted audience research screening of Snyder’s Sucker Punch, the film tested poorly. Says one insider familiar with it, “It was bad; like, really bad. They’re [Warners brass] really not happy with it over there.”

That, plus with Snyder’s last two films (Watchmen and Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole) having under-performed, some insiders posit that offering Ritchie Xerxes means that Warner’s ardor for all things Snyder may be cooling just a bit.

Regardless, we’re pleased that Xerxes (a.k.a. King Ahasuerus) is heating up — and just in time for Purim! We have only one question: Cherry or apricot hamantashen, Guy?

URL- http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2011/02/warner_bros_offers_300_sequel.html

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Script problems and delays? Empty RE: Script problems & delays?

Post  non_amos Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:23 pm

Puh-leaaazzzee don't say 3rd act problems! Anyone remember the 1st Reeve film? Of course you do! The 1st 2 acts were what you would call serious. However, when they introduced the 3rd act, we got the goofball story with Luthor's land scheme & who can forget OTIS?! "MR. LUUU-THORRRRRR!!!!!" Please don't tell me that they've once again came up with a great story except for.....how to END it?! I thought Goyer's idea was so phenomenal that even Nolan was impressed?! I also thought that things were moving along now?!

I do disagree with that article about Snyder. I don't know about Sucker Punch but I've been pleased with his films so far. WATCHMEN is one of the best comics adaptations I've ever seen bar none! Oh, it 'under-performed'. That's all that matters anymore, right?! The point is, Watchmen will no doubt go down in history as one of the better films, albeit after the fact! I think I get tired of all that moaning about whether or not Snyder is competent to do a comics film!

Let's just hope that 'Steve' isn't right! pale

Last edited by non_amos on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Too many letters!)
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Script problems and delays? Empty Re: Script problems and delays?

Post  webhead2006 Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:23 pm

was reading about this earlier today. Some interesting things there, which could be problematic too. Though if the issue is just 3rd act problems in script. Hopefully that could all be resolved before filming(since it is a few months still to production) or if they need more time to just shoot the 3rd act stuff last to give more time. I do hope if there is any problems they can get it to everyone's liking and all.

As for the sucker punch stuff. The film does look to be a strange one. I am curious to see it myself. Looks to be a pretty interesting film. But if test screening is doing bad that isnt a good thing. But maybe it could just not be a type of film the screeners liked. Who knows, i dont know how they go about for test screenings for films. But i do wish snyder success for sucker punch and definately for superman too.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:04 pm

non_amos wrote:Puh-leaaazzzee don't say 3rd act problems! Anyone remember the 1st Reeve film? Of course you do! The 1st 2 acts were what you would call serious. However, when they introduced the 3rd act, we got the goofball story with Luthor's land scheme & who can forget OTIS?! "MR. LUUU-THORRRRRR!!!!!" Please don't tell me that they've once again came up with a great story except for.....how to END it?! I thought Goyer's idea was so phenomenal that even Nolan was impressed?! I also thought that things were moving along now?!
The third act? Dude, STM went off the rails the minute the narrative moves to Metropolis in Act 2. From there, this dignified epic switches over to being the perception of a "comic book movie" of the time. Mankeywhatsis even said so himself. The movie is still good but, man, that transition is HARSH.

If I can accept STM, half of which has severe problems, I'll give Snyder's movie a day in court (although it's presumed guilty until proven innocent).

I do disagree with that article about Snyder. I don't know about Sucker Punch but I've been pleased with his films so far. WATCHMEN is one of the best comics adaptations I've ever seen bar none! Oh, it 'under-performed'. That's all that matters anymore, right?! The point is, Watchmen will no doubt go down in history as one of the better films, albeit after the fact! I think I get tired of all that moaning about whether or not Snyder is competent to do a comics film!
I'm pretty much a total Watchmen movie groupie. Loved it. You'll never adapt every single thing about the comic. That's a shame but nobody, NOBODY could've done the job better than Snyder did. Sure, he changed up some costumes but the movie is pretty much the essence of Watchmen, which is about the most you can ask for.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:29 pm

I agreebthere about watchmen was a very good film. It just had the issues of being a rated 4 film and more for a certain market of moviegoers. Then say a pg 13 film like spidey where everyone can see it and all that. Visuals/story/acting for watchmen was all solid. I never read the novel myself. So when I saw it I didn't know much about the changes made for film. But they worked for the film. I hope snyder gives as much care he did with watchmen to superman.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:01 pm

Yeah, you guys go ahead and fall for a website regurgitating a rumor we heard MONTHS AGO. For fuck's sake, they didn't even FACT CHECK. So, bullshit "script problems" in Feb. '11 means the film won't be filming by 2013? Really?

Use your brains.

Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:21 am

Well, looks like that "article" WAS made-up BULLSHIT:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/02/16/300-sequel-xerxes-guy-ritchie-zack-snyder/
'300' sequel scoop: Guy Ritchie NOT directing
by Adam B. Vary

Guy Ritchie will not be directing Xerxes, the sequel to the 2007 surprise blockbuster 300, a Warner Bros. spokesperson tells EW. Reports that the Sherlock Holmes director had been formally offered the job are “an erroneous rumor,” according to the rep.

300 director Zack Snyder, meanwhile, is currently occupied working on the new Superman movie, which is due to start shooting this summer and hit theaters late next year, effectively preventing Snyder from taking the directing reigns of Xerxes until 2012. Whether Xerxes could hold until Snyder would be available is unclear: The project — based, like 300, on a Frank Miller graphic novel — remains in active development but has not yet been greenlit.

Unless, of course, some of you want to think that they ONLY lied about 1/2 of their "story"?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:24 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Well, looks like that "article" WAS made-up BULLSHIT:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/02/16/300-sequel-xerxes-guy-ritchie-zack-snyder/
'300' sequel scoop: Guy Ritchie NOT directing
by Adam B. Vary

Guy Ritchie will not be directing Xerxes, the sequel to the 2007 surprise blockbuster 300, a Warner Bros. spokesperson tells EW. Reports that the Sherlock Holmes director had been formally offered the job are “an erroneous rumor,” according to the rep.

300 director Zack Snyder, meanwhile, is currently occupied working on the new Superman movie, which is due to start shooting this summer and hit theaters late next year, effectively preventing Snyder from taking the directing reigns of Xerxes until 2012. Whether Xerxes could hold until Snyder would be available is unclear: The project — based, like 300, on a Frank Miller graphic novel — remains in active development but has not yet been greenlit.

Unless, of course, some of you want to think that they ONLY lied about 1/2 of their "story"?
I'm actually starting to wonder if Archdouchebag was the source of the original story.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:32 am

well there we go i guess.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down