Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No UK Midnight Screening

+2
thecolorsblend
webhead2006
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

No UK Midnight Screening Empty No UK Midnight Screening

Post  webhead2006 Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Well looks like we won't see it break any uk midnight screening figures:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=61254
No Midnight Screenings Of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES In The UK

According to UK Scott Cinemas Warner Bros. has requested no midnight screenings for Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises in the UK. Click the jump to voice your opinion. nailbiter111 - 6/8/2012

The Dark Knight Rises won't be able to break one box office record as there will be no midnight showings in the United Kingdom. A surprising move as The Avengers, Harry Potter, and the Twilight movies have done exceptionally well in the wee hours. I'll assume that Warner Bros. doesn't want the ending of the film to leak initially overseas. We've just been informed that there will be no midnight shows of 'The Dark Knight Rises' at the request of Warner. This is because the film is opening as a day-and-date release with the US. The first permitted shows are midnight on Fri 20th July in the US, which because of the time zone makes that about 5am here. We won't be doing 5am shows, but hope to have booking available soon. - UKScottCinemas

*ADMIN* You NEED to start using proper capitalization in new thread titles. We've told you this before.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

No UK Midnight Screening Empty Re: No UK Midnight Screening

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:00 pm

admin wrote:*ADMIN* You NEED to start using proper capitalization in new thread titles. We've told you this before.
It's a problem with his phone, he just got out of class and was in a big rush and his phone just never works properly but he keeps using it anyway because he's a fucktard and it's really not his fault.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:15 am

Well, the film might be called The Dark Knight RISES but it sure ain't 'rising to the occasion'! Nope! No sir-ree, buddy! Duh Nolan has to protect his ending at all costs, even if it costs them monetarily.

Does duh Nolan or duh brothers Warner really think this is gonna work? I mean, gimme a break! The entire film will probably be leaked on duh Internets at least one full day before the film is actually released! Sure, it'll be crappy quality but still..........and the ending will be known. But look at Avengers. That was released what, a full week before it's domestic release? And already started mopping up on foreign box office before a cent was even earned here at home & is still mopping up! And Avengers was online too at least a week before it's release here. Didn't really hurt it's bottom line now did it?

As for 'breaking records', they can hang that up now. That ship has already sailed. But it might outdo the Spiderman reboot but I'm even hoping that's not true! But I guess duh Nolanites are gonna cling to hope just like duh apologists clung to their 'BJ'. Sleep
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:38 am

non_amos wrote:Well, the film might be called The Dark Knight RISES but it sure ain't 'rising to the occasion'! Nope! No sir-ree, buddy! Duh Nolan has to protect his ending at all costs, even if it costs them monetarily.
No doubts there. Still, it does speak to Nolan's clout at WB. I don't know this to be true but I'd guess any other director who told them he didn't want a midnight premiere in a major territory would be rather urgently advised to go fuck himself. The fact that Nolan is getting away with this reminds me of the "friends and family screenings" Singer had for Singerman. Because, hey, fuck test audiences, we want groups that will go easy on us. Strange to think Singer had that kind of mojo back then.

non_amos wrote:The entire film will probably be leaked on duh Internets at least one full day before the film is actually released! Sure, it'll be crappy quality but still..........and the ending will be known.
At this point, you could just as easily argue that real spoilers about this movie might prime the pump and get people excited about TDKRises in a way they just aren't right now.

non_amos wrote:Avengers was online too at least a week before it's release here. Didn't really hurt it's bottom line now did it?
I've got an entire thesis about that but the bottom lines thereof are (1) people who want free shit want free shit. They're media vampires. You'll never get a nickel out of them anyway so stop worrying. Meanwhile (2) people who want to experiment and who enjoy your product are ready, willing and able to pay for upgrades in video and sound quality (ie, movie tickets, DVD's/BRD's, etc). All of this inevitably means (3) unauthorized online distribution stands only to help. I never cared much to watch cams of movies still in theaters (except in cases where I loved the movie, but even those were rare and a long time ago) but these days I'm too old, shitty and set in my ways to put up with anything less than DVD quality... and there's only one place to get that, and it requires paying for the legal stuff -- a transaction I'm happy to make, btw, if I enjoyed the movie. And it's nothing to do with honesty or guilt either. It's just easier and faster to buy the shit. Sorry to blab so much here but this is a touchy issue for me.

non_amos wrote:As for 'breaking records', they can hang that up now. That ship has already sailed.
Only the hardliners think otherwise. It's simple mathematics, really. Is there a chance TDKRises will kick the shit out of Avengers? Well, yeah, I guess. But I detect borderline ZERO anticipation coming down the pipeline for TDKRises. There's perhaps curiosity but that won't cut it in the long run. Avengers has/had phenomenal repeat business. It wasn't just passing curiosity from moviegoers. It was genuine excitement and anticipation to see what was coming. You're not getting that with TDKRises. As often as there's mild curiosity there's just as much complete apathy. "Oh, new Batman movie? Eh. Maybe I'll see it opening weekend. But maybe not. Whatev." Whereas Avengers? "Dude, can't fucking wait, I'm SO there in my Iron Man shirt at midnight, motherfucker!"

I defy anybody to tell me what TDKRises has to match that.

non_amos wrote:But it might outdo the Spiderman reboot but I'm even hoping that's not true! But I guess duh Nolanites are gonna cling to hope just like duh apologists clung to their 'BJ'. Sleep
I think there's some decent interest in Spider-Man. Certainly more than TDKRises, I can tell you that. My girlfriend is a complete Gwen fangirl so that alone was her selling point. But there are other factors in play too. I wouldn't be surprised if Spider-Man and TDKRises end up grossing fairly comparable numbers... or if Spider-Man comes out on top. I just can't envision TDKRises earning more though. But, hey, I've been wrong before.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:40 pm

Yup it is a very bad move for them not doing midnight screening for UK viewers. Heck it probably could have made a nice chunk like 3-5mill for them. With what ever first day numbers will do. But you guys are right WB is shooting themselves in the foot here to make a few extra bucks on the film. Not a great way to start off the film. This is definitely going to put a dent in the UK opening figures. I still think for TDKR figures will probably end up like 400-500mill internationally, and 300-450mill domestically and top out around 700-900mill for final tallies.

Also ya no way leaks wont happen for this film or others. All the studios hope for is that leak copies wont kill all there potential returns from box office numbers. But hell look at avengers even though it did leak it still causes folks to still go see the film in theaters. That is probably not the case for TDKR where some will probably just decide to see the film on dl and not bother with paying the 10-14bucks to see it.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:19 pm

One week before Avengers opened I tried watching that initial crappy version. I only watched 9 minutes of it. It started out with Loki but the very beginning Marvel stuff was chopped off. However, the quality was so bad that it irritated me! I could sorta see what was going on but at the same time, I didn't really know exactly what Loki was doing. It became crystal clear though when I went to IMAX. Now, to be fair, I'd have seen Avengers at the theater anyway. It's just one of those films that are a must. I also understand that the quality is now improved online so I may have to check it out. I really want to see it again in the theater but I just haven't had the chance & funds ain't good either. So you do what you have to do I guess.

As for TDKR, if a good enough quality version makes it online, I could see some people maybe not wasting their money in the theater, what with their lackluster villains & depressing story. Avengers obviously didn't have to worry about that!
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Alf Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Eh who gives a shit, TDKR won't do anywhere near a billion anyway. And if it does, I will lose faith in humanity. But considering the unknown (for the general public) villains who also look mighty unimpressive, the crappy trailers and the lack of the actor playing the Joker dying, I have high hopes that this turd doesn't do a lot.
Alf
Alf
Dean Cain
Dean Cain

User Reputation : 35

http://www.manofsteel.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:35 pm

The movie will make upwards of $800 million dollars. It being the 3rd picture in the series automatically guarantees's a big box office.

But 'Avengers'-like numbers is out of the question. Parents won't be taking their kids to see this in the same numbers. Not even close.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:56 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:I've got an entire thesis about that but the bottom lines thereof are (1) people who want free shit want free shit. They're media vampires. You'll never get a nickel out of them anyway so stop worrying. Meanwhile (2) people who want to experiment and who enjoy your product are ready, willing and able to pay for upgrades in video and sound quality (ie, movie tickets, DVD's/BRD's, etc). All of this inevitably means (3) unauthorized online distribution stands only to help. I never cared much to watch cams of movies still in theaters (except in cases where I loved the movie, but even those were rare and a long time ago) but these days I'm too old, shitty and set in my ways to put up with anything less than DVD quality... and there's only one place to get that, and it requires paying for the legal stuff -- a transaction I'm happy to make, btw, if I enjoyed the movie. And it's nothing to do with honesty or guilt either. It's just easier and faster to buy the shit. Sorry to blab so much here but this is a touchy issue for me.

Found this, thought it fit here:

No UK Midnight Screening Condescending-wonka-on-the-avengers
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:10 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:
thecolorsblend wrote:I've got an entire thesis about that but the bottom lines thereof are (1) people who want free shit want free shit. They're media vampires. You'll never get a nickel out of them anyway so stop worrying. Meanwhile (2) people who want to experiment and who enjoy your product are ready, willing and able to pay for upgrades in video and sound quality (ie, movie tickets, DVD's/BRD's, etc). All of this inevitably means (3) unauthorized online distribution stands only to help. I never cared much to watch cams of movies still in theaters (except in cases where I loved the movie, but even those were rare and a long time ago) but these days I'm too old, shitty and set in my ways to put up with anything less than DVD quality... and there's only one place to get that, and it requires paying for the legal stuff -- a transaction I'm happy to make, btw, if I enjoyed the movie. And it's nothing to do with honesty or guilt either. It's just easier and faster to buy the shit. Sorry to blab so much here but this is a touchy issue for me.

Found this, thought it fit here:

No UK Midnight Screening Condescending-wonka-on-the-avengers

It's obvious that in some cases it actually increases sales. Think of said online film, CD, or whatever actually 'whetting your appetite' & then you're not content to just have some 'file'. You want the artwork. You want the liner notes. You want the special features, etc. So I guess that stuff becomes kind of like a 'long trailer' of sorts.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:16 am

non_amos wrote:It's obvious that in some cases it actually increases sales. Think of said online film, CD, or whatever actually 'whetting your appetite' & then you're not content to just have some 'file'. You want the artwork. You want the liner notes. You want the special features, etc. So I guess that stuff becomes kind of like a 'long trailer' of sorts.

What good is there in bringing up LOGIC, when they can just spend millions in trying to strip-away your civil rights?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:23 am

No UK Midnight Screening Lars_u10

No UK Midnight Screening Gene-s10
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:26 am

No UK Midnight Screening 50276_2200335214_3344_n

Last edited by Apologist Puncher on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:59 am

non_amos wrote:It's obvious that in some cases it actually increases sales. Think of said online film, CD, or whatever actually 'whetting your appetite' & then you're not content to just have some 'file'. You want the artwork. You want the liner notes. You want the special features, etc. So I guess that stuff becomes kind of like a 'long trailer' of sorts.
That's something else. The bonus stuff rarely gets uploaded to the web. Usually all you get is just the movie. If I want the director's commentary or the stuff you mention, again, there's only one way to get at that stuff.

I think sales increase more than most people know. This isn't quite related to the above but When I was experimenting with different comics, one I found was a thing called Morning Glories. I downloaded all five issues that had been released up to then and enjoyed the series. After that, I began buying the paper issues and then tracked down 1-5 in back issues. Had a chance to talk to the penciller/co-creator of the book, told him my story and he said he hears shit like that all the time. Homeboy had no problem with my methods. I bought comics from him to sign (as much as anything, this was part of tracking down said back issues) so he as profiting on the spot. He could see me pay money for his stuff. Clearly he had no problem with any of it.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:53 pm

Ya for me personally when I am buying a dvd/bluray I am doing it since I loved said movie/tv show. But I am also a sucler for bonus/behind the scenes/deleted scenes stuff. Since that end of film/tv production is what I went to school for and enjoy learning the ins and out from a production. Sure I have dl films too. But usually that only in the case of either its a film I just haven't had luck finding in stores any more. Or a film I wanted to see but never had the chance and just checked it out. So sure piracy is a bad thing. But like you guys said above in some cases it probably will help certain films/tv shows.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:54 pm

webhead2006 wrote:Ya for me personally when I am buying a dvd/bluray I am doing it since I loved said movie/tv show. But I am also a sucler for bonus/behind the scenes/deleted scenes stuff.
Well, see, the problem there is that deleted scenes can be found on YouTube seconds after a DVD/BRD comes out. So if anything, your argument serves to completely undermine what I was saying, which, namely, is that I buy the official releases for stuff like commentaries, which don't usually get pirated and which I'd probably be too lazy to download anyway. If you can't find deleted scenes for most movies with a basic YouTube search, my first assumption would be that you're a fucking retard.

But let's keep moving, shall we?

webhead2006 wrote:Since that end of film/tv production is what I went to school for
Are you serious? You went to film school... for deleted scenes? I sure to God hope you're poorly trying to say you went to be trained as an editor.

webhead2006 wrote:and enjoy learning the ins and out from a production.
They didn't teach you that in film school? Oh yeah, deleted scenes...

webhead2006 wrote:Sure I have dl films too.

webhead2006 wrote:But usually that only in the case of either its a film I just haven't had luck finding in stores any more. Or a film I wanted to see but never had the chance and just checked it out. So sure piracy is a bad thing. But like you guys said above in some cases it probably will help certain films/tv shows.
No UK Midnight Screening Blogimg_1808_32134-20100509165655398171
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:46 am

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/geek-debate-39the-dark-knight-rises39-vs-39the-amazing-spider-man39/8283

This is as good a place as any for this. Basically this numbnuts weighs whether he's more excited for TDKRises or TAM. Spider-Man came out on top but this guy makes a lot of excuses for Nolan's movies... but at the same rate he also makes a lot of indictments (most of which won't be all that new if you've been hanging around here for very long).

Spider-Man ends up coming out on top in his little pissing contest (which I'd agree with, actually; to the extent I'm excited about either movie, it's Spider-Man for me. Leary alone puts it over the top) but he argues that Batman has better villains. That's where I have to get off the bus. As much as I like pre-Grant Morrison Batman, most of his villains are basically variations on a theme. To varying degrees they're all Batman's equal. We're seeing fragments and/or reversals of who Batman is in his villains. It gets a little tiresome to always say "[insert villain] is Batman's mirror image".

Spider-Man's villains? Frankly I think they're more dynamic. Doc Ock, the Green Goblin, Post-Miller Kingpin, Sandman, Venom, Kraven (the original or the Ultimate one although for different reasons), they all bring something a little different to the table. Marvel in general is defined by having heroes who, by all rights, could have been supervillains or, lacking that, anti-heroes. That's Lee's entire shtick about relateability. Could every single one of Spider-Man's enemies shoulder the narrative requirements of a film? Maybe, maybe not. But I do find that his best foes tend to bring something unique to the table that isn't effectively copied verbatim by some other villain.

You compare that to Batman and the character arc he goes through in a Joker story could arguably be just easily applied to, say, Two Face or Killer Croc. The arc Spider-Man goes through... well, honestly I'd say the Harry Osborne Green Goblin brings a different edge to any Spider-Man story than would, say, Carnage.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:52 pm

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=63056
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES Opening On More Screens Overseas; Unlikely To Beat THE AVENGERS

Warner Bros. are hoping to greatly increase the international revenue of The Dark Knight Rises by opening on an impressive 15,000 screens. However,it still looks unlikely that it will top Marvel's The Avengers boxoffice gross overseas. Read on for details. Josh Wilding - 7/6/2012

Variety reports that in an effort to increase overseas revenue, Warner Bros. have increased the number of screens The Dark Knight Rises will play on. The last instalment in Christopher Nolan's Batman franchise may hold the #4 spot on the domestic list of highest grossing films, but sits way down at #35 on the list of international titles. The site speculates that this may have something to do with the character not being as popular internationally as he is in the US, and make the point that this makes it unlikely we'll see the film come anywhere near Marvel's The Avengers overseas gross of $840 million.

The Dark Knight Rises will play on 15,000 screens altogether, although the lengthy running time of two hours and forty seven minutes limits this number considerably. This is still nearly 4,000 more than The Dark Knight, which grossed $1 billion with $531 million domestic and $469 million overseas. Not a huge difference, but enough that Warner Bros. are apparently feeling the pressure to up its takings later this month, despite one rival studio exec saying, "It really is going to be a dominant film internationally, but I don't know that it will have quite the same appeal as 'The Avengers' for everyone from 8 to 80."

However, there is a huge amount of interest in The Dark Knight Rises (which is being heavily promoted as the final chapter of Christopher Nolan's "Epic Trilogy") and it will roll out in 17 markets on July 20th, before opening in another 38 the following weekend. Also good for the studio is the fact that China will more than likely show this instalment after declining to allow screenings of The Dark Knight back in 2008. Which do you think will eventually come out on top at the box office? Sound off with your thoughts in the usual place.

webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:37 pm

"TDKRises probably won't outgross Avengers? This is the most surprising thing I've ever heard!!" said nobody from this forum.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:20 pm

TDKR box office pacing prediction:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dark-knight-rises-pacing-box-office-346576
The latest pre-release tracking information for Warner Bros. and Christopher Nolan's highly anticipated Batman finale, The Dark Knight Rises, is now online. The Hollywood Reporter reveals that after surging over the weekend, tracking indicates that "The Epic Conclusion To The Dark Knight Legend" will earn a higher weekend debut than 2008's The Dark Knight, which is still the best opener for a 2D movie (since then, 3D films Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part 2 and The Avengers have taken over the top spots).

The site also notes that, while tracking for The Dark Knight Rises isn't too far behind The Avengers, the former lacks a 3D ticket boost and consists of a longer running time, which has led many to believe that TDKR will not do near as well as Marvel's superhero team-up film. Still, there's a lot going for TDKR. The comic book epic is opening in several hundred IMAX theaters, and the fact that it's the final installment in Chris Nolan's excellent trilogy should also increase interest.

According to those who have seen Monday's tracking numbers, unaided awareness for The Dark Knight Rises is 19, compared to 20 for The Avengers; first choice is 30 for The Dark Knight Rises, 33 for The Avengers; definite interest in The Dark Knight Rises is at 66, compared to 65 for The Avengers. Additionally, the number of males interested in TDKR is slightly higher than that of females.

With early word of mouth being extremely positive and anticipation being very high, I think it's safe to say that The Dark Knight Rises will be just as its predecessor, if not more so.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:25 pm

Give it up Nolan! Avengers has won! Excited
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:28 pm

non_amos wrote:Give it up Nolan! Avengers has won! Excited
Bear in mind that we're only talking about the opening weekend figures. One wonders what legs (if any) TDKRises will have once word of mouth has a chance to filter around. It could be amazing word of mouth... but that's hardly a given.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:41 pm

Why do they think it's gonna top the 158 million that TDK made it's opening weekend? Did anyone die? I don't think so! TDK had all the hype of Heath Ledger's death going for it as well as his controversial take on the Joker. This time no one has died & Nolan has chosen to give us a villain while totally disregarding the source material.

So you tell me, why do they think it's gonna top it?
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:23 pm

non_amos wrote:Why do they think it's gonna top the 158 million that TDK made it's opening weekend? Did anyone die? I don't think so! TDK had all the hype of Heath Ledger's death going for it as well as his controversial take on the Joker. This time no one has died & Nolan has chosen to give us a villain while totally disregarding the source material.

So you tell me, why do they think it's gonna top it?
Validation. A lot of predictions Nolanites made about BB was that it would hit somewhere near $300/$350 million in the US. Needless to say, the final figures were just a little bit different from that. TDK obviously went wild -- and I don't think it's entirely attributable to Ledger's death. So I think their reference point is that the general public now thinks the movies are amazing as they do. If we're talking just about TDK, it's true. If we're talking about the entire franchise... well, the best you can say is that it's been a mixed bag so far. But, at the end of the day, I think they have a personal stake in the movie's numbers. They put themselves in that box ("Begins will make at least $320 million in the US!", "TDK is poised to outgross Titanic!" and so on) so now they're committed to this course. So if I were you, I'd expect every excuse under the sun for why TDKRises won't even be comparable to Avengers. The lack of a 3D release, longer run time, fewer theaters internationally, a more adult rating, more adult subject matter, etc.

You think the Apologists were bad? Methinks we ain't seen nuthin yet.

Last edited by thecolorsblend on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:26 pm

That is a good point colors it just being bale/nolan last film it probably will have a good opening around 100-130mill range likely. But how well it will do in folowing weeks and wom we will have to see there. I still expect it probably end around 300-350mill for domestic run. With another 200-300mill internationally run.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next