Superman Film Watchdogs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is WB already looking for Writers for MOS Sequel?

4 posters

Go down

Is WB already looking for Writers for MOS Sequel? Empty Is WB already looking for Writers for MOS Sequel?

Post  webhead2006 Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:42 am

I came across this article this morning across most of the entertainment sites:
http://www.latinoreview.com/news/warner-bros-said-to-have-shortlist-of-writers-for-man-of-steel-sequel-15400
Warner Bros. Said To Have Shortlist Of Writers For 'Man of Steel' Sequel
By Andrew Weymes on November 15, 2011

Despite bringing in mostly positive reviews and a decent box office pull-in worldwide, director Bryan Singer was unable to make 2006's 'Superman Returns' anything but a one-off. '300' and 'Watchmen' director, Zack Snyder is currently in the midst of filming his crack at it, 'Man of Steel,' which has Henry Cavill of 'Immortals' in the lead.

It's no secret that Marvel has been dominating the comic book to film adaptation circuit. They're creating an interlocking universe by signing actors to deals that will haunt them in the afterlife. DC on the other hand has Batman. A very fine Batman in Christian Bale under the direction of Christopher Nolan, but simply Batman nonetheless. 'Green Lantern' didn't pay off. Who knows what's going to happen with 'The Flash.' DC's hopes of getting out of the Gotham grind lay on Superman's shoulders.

According to Think McFly Think, DC may have another series in 'Man of Steel.' Early word from Warner Bros. is that they're liking the footage they've seen and the script they've read. They've gone as far as to come up with a shortlist of screenwriters for a the next outing featuring the likes of Steve Kloves, ('Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 & 2') Travis Beacham, ('Clash of the Titans') and Lawrence Kasdan. ('Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi')

This is early, early stuff that doesn't have a hint of confirmation, but if true, it's great to hear that 'Man of Steel' is shaping up nicely. The film is said to be wrapping up shooting in early 2012, but it's not hitting theaters until June 14, 2013.

Source: Think McFly Think

If this is indeed true i would definately be happy with steve kloves or lawrence kasdan. If either was selected as screenwriter.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

User Reputation : 2

Back to top Go down

Is WB already looking for Writers for MOS Sequel? Empty Re: Is WB already looking for Writers for MOS Sequel?

Post  thecolorsblend Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:51 pm

Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression that Kasdan had retired from "for hire" work and was basically focusing only on writing projects that he would direct himself. Steve Kloves probably has good cred with the studio because of his various Potter scripts though. I could see him being a candidate for a sequel.

This also sort of hits on the comment non_amos (if that's even his real name) about Goyer leaving MOS. Surely he'd be given first whack at a sequel script under normal circumstances...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

User Reputation : 287

Back to top Go down

Is WB already looking for Writers for MOS Sequel? Empty Re: Is WB already looking for Writers for MOS Sequel?

Post  webhead2006 Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:22 pm

Ya I take steve most likely choice. But doesn't mean goyer or others may not make a few passes on drafts.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:48 pm

Apparently false:

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=49945http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=49945

Is WB already looking for Writers for MOS Sequel? Travis%20Beacham%20Man%20of%20Steel%20Sequel%20writers
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

User Reputation : 548

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:21 am

Probably is but down one name I still wouldn't mind if it did end up being one of the other two.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:03 pm

webhead2006 wrote:Probably is but down one name I still wouldn't mind if it did end up being one of the other two.

It's not that simple. If one of the names was NEVER approached, what are the odds the others WERE?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:09 am

Oh, and lest anyone forget, this is FilmRetardJamie we are talking about here.

Let's go over some of the many, many things "he" has been wrong about over the years, shall we?:

1. Singerman: Madame of Swish IS going to happen.

2. That fake Canadian casting call scam WAS legit.

3. A reboot MIGHT happen, but BJ Routh WILL be Superman again.

4. Henry Cavill is gay, and therefore will NOT play Superman in 'Man Of Steel'.

5. 'Immortals' will be a flop

And these are just the one's I bothered to remember! So next time you read something from that asshole's site, think twice before you post it here.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:29 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:Oh, and lest anyone forget, this is FilmRetardJamie we are talking about here.

Let's go over some of the many, many things "he" has been wrong about over the years, shall we?:

1. Singerman: Madame of Swish IS going to happen.

2. That fake Canadian casting call scam WAS legit.

3. A reboot MIGHT happen, but BJ Routh WILL be Superman again.

4. Henry Cavill is gay, and therefore will NOT play Superman in 'Man Of Steel'.

5. 'Immortals' will be a flop

And these are just the one's I bothered to remember! So next time you read something from that asshole's site, think twice before you post it here.

Got another one to add to the list:

http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=50844#comments

From TMT..

One scenario we're hearing involves the studio moving The Man of Steel, the Christopher Nolan-“Godfathered” Superman revival with Zack Snyder wearing the director cap into that Christmas ’12 slot. We've been told that production is flying as fast as the Big Blue himself with shooting to wrap early February, and scenes already being edited and sent out to various post-production houses as I type this.

Bullshit.

Update from WB - "Contrary to inaccurate reports - The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is being released on December 14, 2012" - Dan Fellman, President, Domestic Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures."

6. Makes-up bullshit about 'Man Of Steel' taking 'The Hobbit's' release date.

When are people going to stop giving these lying assholes free press and site "hits"? It's getting fucking pathetic.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:59 am

I can defend only the writer aspect in that stories regularly surface about some movie currently in production where a movie studio has already started talking about sequels. Doesn't automatically make the stories true but I can understand how people would buy into the idea (at least hypothetically) because good business sense is planning ahead. Part of that takes the form of not deforming and mutilating the material such that a sequel (if desired) isn't possible. An example of this would be giving a wildly popular classic American icon an unnecessary bastard son with whom he can never have any type of relationship without destroying a legitimate family unit. Bonus "points" if you premise that story on a 30 year old movie that most people born after 1990 have never seen or, at best, only dimly remember.

I can only imagine how awful fans of such a movie might feel when sequel plans are inevitably scrapped. Why, that just might inspire them to do all in their power to ruin the new version by any means necessary because, hey, they've got nothing to lose now.

Good thing we're only dealing in hypotheticals though...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:43 am

Indeed. I mean, it's not like those people would try their hardest to destroy something that is being made BECAUSE of that hypothetical "film's" failure.

No sir, no how.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  non_amos Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:25 am

I wish MOS would come out next Christmas because I simply hate to wait another 1.5 years. But I know it's not. However, it does sound like a long time to be sitting on a finished film? I mean, if MOS wraps up early next year, then post-work CGI & all, what would the latest be that a true finished film would exist? Maybe June of 2012? Not something I can answer but to wait yet one more year somehow seems like such a shame too.
non_amos
non_amos
Christopher Reeve
Christopher Reeve

User Reputation : 250

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:25 am

non_amos wrote:I wish MOS would come out next Christmas because I simply hate to wait another 1.5 years. But I know it's not. However, it does sound like a long time to be sitting on a finished film? I mean, if MOS wraps up early next year, then post-work CGI & all, what would the latest be that a true finished film would exist? Maybe June of 2012? Not something I can answer but to wait yet one more year somehow seems like such a shame too.
I've wondered that myself. The part of me given to conspiracy theories wonders that WB wants extra time to fix any possible problems with the movie well in advance rather than having to run with a stinker like they did last time. Remember the bank robbery scene from Singerman? That apparently wasn't in the script. It was something WB asked for. That was probably all there was time in the schedule to throw in or else I assume they'd have wanted other stuff going on too.

Then again, they could be so amazed by the script that they wanted a summer opening for MOS since it's the kind of action movie that goes well for a summer release. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  webhead2006 Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:13 pm

Well there they go again huh. I too would love to seen supes and bats out in same yr. But the more time is good too. Gives more time to work on ppost production stuff, more time for any needed reshoots like most films do anyway. Then more time to fo the marketing/promotional wing of things.
webhead2006
webhead2006
Missing In Action

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:44 pm

thecolorsblend wrote:I've wondered that myself. The part of me given to conspiracy theories wonders that WB wants extra time to fix any possible problems with the movie well in advance rather than having to run with a stinker like they did last time. Remember the bank robbery scene from Singerman? That apparently wasn't in the script. It was something WB asked for. That was probably all there was time in the schedule to throw in or else I assume they'd have wanted other stuff going on too.

I think it's probably a combination of THAT, along with not wanting to try and shoe-horn it in to a comic-book movie heavy 2012. Seriously, take a look at summer 2013. 'MOS' pretty much has it all to themselves.

Then again, they could be so amazed by the script that they wanted a summer opening for MOS since it's the kind of action movie that goes well for a summer release. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar...

That, and Superman's "anniversary" happens in June too. So it's a marketing tool they can exploit.
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:03 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:I think it's probably a combination of THAT, along with not wanting to try and shoe-horn it in to a comic-book movie heavy 2012. Seriously, take a look at summer 2013. 'MOS' pretty much has it all to themselves.
Good point. How long can that last though? Other stuff will come along soon enough.

Apologist Puncher wrote:That, and Superman's "anniversary" happens in June too. So it's a marketing tool they can exploit.
Hey, anything's better than the big NOTHING we got in 2008 in observance of Superman's 70 continuous years of publication.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:13 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Good point. How long can that last though? Other stuff will come along soon enough.

What big name comic book movie can make a dent though? No 'Avengers' sequel, no 'Iron Man 3', no 'Captain America 2', no 'Batman Rises From The Dark In The Night' Nolan sequel.

Apologist Puncher wrote:Hey, anything's better than the big NOTHING we got in 2008 in observance of Superman's 70 continuous years of publication.

Thank Singer for THAT, too.....
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  thecolorsblend Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:18 am

Apologist Puncher wrote:What big name comic book movie can make a dent though? No 'Avengers' sequel, no 'Iron Man 3', no 'Captain America 2', no 'Batman Rises From The Dark In The Night' Nolan sequel.
Maybe you're right. But part of me thinks it's a matter of time until some other studio sees an opening and goes for it. Still, it'd be nice if MOS had a long stretch of time all by itself. When you think about it, 2006 wasn't THAT competitive (esp compared to 2008) and Singerman STILL got trounced. Ridiculous...

Apologist Puncher wrote:Thank Singer for THAT, too.....
On the WB side anyway. But even DC didn't do anything all that special.
thecolorsblend
thecolorsblend

Back to top Go down

Post  Apologist Puncher Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:21 am

thecolorsblend wrote:Maybe you're right. But part of me thinks it's a matter of time until some other studio sees an opening and goes for it. Still, it'd be nice if MOS had a long stretch of time all by itself. When you think about it, 2006 wasn't THAT competitive (esp compared to 2008) and Singerman STILL got trounced. Ridiculous...

The only other one that was even close was 'Thor 2', and as you saw, it was pushed back to November. A movie would have to be announced and in pre-production by MARCH at the LATEST in order to meet a June, 2013 release date.

Isn't going to happen.

On the WB side anyway. But even DC didn't do anything all that special.

Maybe they were embarrassed by his "underpants" and the fact that he was too STUPID to wear them under his costume?
Apologist Puncher
Apologist Puncher
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down